[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been looking into getting my first dog, and I live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Chart_polski_200_LM.jpg (813 KB, 2244x1479) Image search: [Google]
Chart_polski_200_LM.jpg
813 KB, 2244x1479
I've been looking into getting my first dog, and I live in an apartment with a cat. I've heard that greyhounds are a good beginner breed that does well in apartments, but sighthounds in general aren't recommended around cats/small animals because they're bred to chase. On the other hand, I've heard that labs make good beginner dogs, and I've been looking into adopting an older one.

Am I better off getting a retired greyhound with a history of living peacefully around cats, or should I just chance it with an older, more mellow dog?

Personally, I'm leaning towards getting a rescue lab or mutt, but I just wanted to hear /an/'s input.
>>
>>2035822
>older labs

Ones that end up in the shelter are untrained, crazy ones.
>>
>>2035825
The dog I'm looking at is actually in a rescue, where the fosters work on their behavior and are more familiar with the dog's history.

I've looked into shelters, but all I see are chihuahuas and pit bull mixes. I'd like to get a dog from someone familiar with their histories and personalities.
>>
People might get labs as beginner dogs but they almost inevitably fuck them up. They are super high energy and I would not recommend them for people who aren't experienced with training dogs. Most labs you will find in shelters were improperly cared for and have many behavior problems (generally why they were dropped off).

Your best bet would be to look into your local no-kill shelters and get a dog that has experience being around cats. It doesn't have to be a certain breed or whatever, just ask for the temperament you want.
>>
>>2036036
Not OP here, my family and I are getting a lab puppy in exactly 4 weeks
My dad had many dogs at his parents house, but except for him it will be our first time.
We have an older cat
I made a lot of researches about labs and dog training in general but would you have any advices in parricular ? I really don't want us to "fuck up" this dog, even more so since we already have a cat
>>
>>2036046
Take him to obedience training classes. It's not that expensive plus it's useful for any dog. A lot of people are hesitant because "I can train my OWN dog, are you saying I'm too stupid???" but it really is helpful for any dog. Especially labs, who can also probably be signed up for advanced obedience classes. You can teach those fuckers a lot.
Also, be super careful with breeders. there are thousands of BYB for labs. Make sure they health test and everything else. There's probably plenty of rescue puppies available as wall, especially right after the holidays.
>>
Had a lab mix myself growing up. She was VERY high energy. Wouldn't recommend.

I was 5 when we got her and I don't think my Mom knew what she was getting into. The dog still had a good life, we took her out to run in the woods and stuff off leash. She just wasn't well socialized.
>>
>>2035822

Multi-pet households are very common, and a good shelter should be testing their dogs with cats and other dogs before putting them up for adoption (testing them with kids is a bonus).

I would just have a frank conversation with the agency about what you're looking for in a dog, and see who they recommend. Apartment-friendly dogs okay with cats are common enough you should have plenty of options.
>>
>>2036109

Thanks, man. At one of the high-kill shelters in my town, they "cat-test" the dogs by bringing them around the feral cat colony to see if they react. I'm guessing that this isn't effective?

I've stopped by the humane society a couple times, but the workers don't seem familiar enough with the animals to give me a straight answer on what dog I want. Am I better off adopting through a rescue?
>>
>>2036129

If a dog doesn't react at a feral cat colony it's definitely going to be fine with one in the house. It's not terribly fair, though, since feral cats outdoors act quite different than those laying around a house, and dogs who are perfectly fine with the latter could still go off with the former and be labeled completely incompatible.

Humane societies tend to have incredibly rapid turn-over, so it's unfortunately not unusual for them to not be terribly acquainted with the animals. A rescue, especially the sort that has routine fostering practices, should be much more forthcoming.
>>
>>2035822
I was actually going to get a greyhound myself, but eventually realized they weren't what I was looking for. Greyhounds are going to need somewhere fenced in to run daily. They don't need much exercise, but definitely regular runs at a dog park/ect. They DO have high prey drives, but I imagine one that is supposed to be cat friendly could easily be more adapted to living with a cat. They're sortof dumb, though, and aren't generally very eager to please. They're also super fucking sensitive to yelling and tension even when it's not directed at them. They can actually develop stomach disorders or some shit from emotional stress. They can also be sensitive to changes in routine. Sounds like greyhounds are a better fit, but definitely not a lab.
If not greyhound, Google low (or medium, if you're definitely getting an older one) energy dog breeds. Find one who's a good fit for you and an older one or a mix of that breed.
>>
Just to add a voice to the chorus - a Lab would be a *terrible* apartment dog: they need a lot of exercise and stimulation.
A greyhound will be a way better idea - just be sure to get one that is genuinely desensitised to cats, preferably one whose racing career is a distant memory if you're rehoming an adult, and from somewhere who can take him or her back if things don't work out.
You'll need to introduce dog and cat carefully and gradually, supervise them at all times. Good chance the cat will be seriously pissed off by the dog and will take a few weeks to settle - if ever.
Greyhounds do still need two decent walks-out per day.
>>
>>2036944
I figure that if i can't find the right mutt, then I'll go back to getting a greyhound. I heard that crate training will probably be easy since they spent most of their time in crates as race dogs. I'd prefer to keep them in separate rooms while I'm gone though. There's no way my cat could outrun it.
>>
File: 1420053920918.png (16 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1420053920918.png
16 KB, 560x407
my lab's not very old and is lazy as fuck. no health problems or anything, just lazy
>>
>>2036953
Sounds like you're on the right road - happy mutt-hunting!
>>
Thanks for the advice everyone!
>>
>>2036957

Labs come in 2 flavors, really. There's the field lab which needs to be heavily exercised or it's a nightmare, and the show lab that's perfectly content lazing around outside of some basic exercise.

The problems people have with out of control labs tend to come when they're looking for the lazy pet and accidentally end up with the workhorse.
>>
>>2036992
>Labs come in 2 flavors

Korean detected.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 520x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 520x480
I actually have three cats and a Italian greyhound and shes great with my cats, they're friendly as fuck but you have to be super delicate to them since they're very fragile, my dog has never broken any bones, but my uncle has one too, and just by jumping off the bed his dog has broken her tail or front/back legs several times and suffers from epilepsy too. My dog is just getting old but she as stupendous health. They're great witth kids and other animals... i don't know if actual greyhounds would react the same. But maybe a italian greyhound would suit you better?

Pic isnt my dog, but looks exactly like that.
>>
>>2036953
how long are your working hours?
do you live alone?

if its long and yes you should reconsider getting a dog.
>>
>>2035822
>I'm leaning towards getting a rescue lab

IME Labs are the worst of all dogs for being food-obsessed, food-thieving eating-machines unless uncommonly well trained, and it is a trait that worsens with age.

Don't know whether it's apocryphal, but there are tales of them literally eating themselves to death!

With their need for plentiful exercise and stimulation, they seem like the worst choice possible for you.
>>
>>2037408

'Flabradors'
>>
>>2037398

The lab in question is overweight and 7 years old. I just finished school and I don't have a job yet, but I have enough money saved up so that I can support a dog and get him used to the apartment before I work a 7-8 hour work day; I figured I'd be better off with an adult dog for this reason. I live with my fiancé.

Once I start working, I plan on running him for 2-3 miles in the morning to tire him out and leaving him with a stuffed Kong so he won't be bored. If I absolutely need to, I can come back during lunch breaks to let him out.
>>
>>2037398

I know a lot of people who live alone, work full-time and manage to own well-adjusted dogs. You can't really support a dog if you don't have the money for it, can you? I heard they're very expensive.
>>
>>2037436

I have a bad feeling about this. Maybe it's projection; dogs are somewhat like kids and need attention and affection over the day or some task instead.

Some hours here and there are okay but every working day is too much.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.