[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animals are dicks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: Orca_pod_southern_residents.jpg (8 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Orca_pod_southern_residents.jpg
8 KB, 360x240
Try to find an animal that's a bigger jerk than these guys. Humans don't count
>>
>>2035756
Is it because they play with their food?
>>
>>2035761
Among other things, yes.
>just watched a video of killer whales spending 6 hours hunting a gray whale and then only eat its tongue.
>>
>>2035767
That's still several hundred pounds of meat
>>
>>2035767
>>2035767
To be fair, theres no fast way to kill a grey whale, and "only" eating the tongue makes perfect sense because it is the easiest thing to get at and is still a few fucking thousand pounds of food. It's not like they can eat the entire whale.
>>
>>2035767
>carnivorous animals are dicks for killing their prey
Okay.
>>
>>2035773
Not to mention gray whales sink after they're killed and there sure as shit ain't enough right whales for orcas to hunt reliably.
>>
>>2035771
>>2035773

I doubt that the calorie intake replaced what was burned during the 6 hour hunt.
>>
>>2035787
A quick check of google show that they eat 300-500lbs a day so it probably is worth it.
>>
>>2035787
swimming probably doesn't burn that many calories for those guys.

and meat is very calorie-dense.
>>
>>2035789
>>2035790

A grey whale tongue can range from 1000-3000 pounds so it depends on how big the grey whale is and how many orcas are feeding on the tongue.
>>
My vote goes to cassowarys is there anything out there whose day it wont fuck up?
>>
>>2035771
>>2035773
>>2035789
>>2035801

I mean, it's not like you're wrong but I think OP's point was that there are more efficient ways to gain those calories. These guys are like hardcore griefers. It seems like they are doing it primarily for the enjoyment. Sure, there are other benefits,like teaching valuable hunting lessons to the baby griefers and keeping fit I guess...

I'm pretty sure they are intelligent enough to understand they are causing a shitton of suffering for their prey though. No, I'm not implying they are evil. I assume this is a behaviour refined by natural selection and is obviously beneficial for the species.
>>
>>2035819
I'm pretty sure geese are way more of a bunch of assholes. I mean, geese are THE assholes of nature. Geese and fucking wasps.
>>
These guys may be pricks, but they're fascinating pricks.

On a semi-unrelated note, does listening to whale sounds make anyone else tear up? Orca audio makes me cry a bit. Not out-and-out bawling, but I do get pretty watery.
>>
>>2035931
Didn't some scientifics studying their behaviour killing grey whales find out that some of them don't even eat and killing the whale is more of a social activity than actual predation?

Anyway, the >just eating the tongue thing, I can't imagine how many animals can be sustained with the rest of the whale.
>>
>>2035932
Truly they are the niggers of the sky.
>>
File: happy burr.jpg (25 KB, 215x166) Image search: [Google]
happy burr.jpg
25 KB, 215x166
>>2035957
>niggers of the sky
kek

>>2035952
whale corpses (among others) are an enormously important part of deep-sea ecosystems, so you're not wrong to mention it.
>>
>>2035952
Sadly, most of the time this is not the case. We like to think that when they kill a whale, sharks and other creatures feed off the carcass to sustain the ecosystem. I mean, this is true but the reality is that often they kill something like a whale in cold open water and it sinks to the bottom of the ocean, it lies there for months rotting in the water, usually feeding the few mollusk scavengers.
>>
>>2036717
>something supports an entire ecosystem
>a waste
>>
>>2035767
link to video?
>>
>>2036731
I'm trying to say that the open ocean in many of these area's are wastelands. It literally takes months for these critters to find the bodies. Sure, it is an eco-system but it's like saying a dumping a whale in the open desert supports that eco-system... no, not really. A dead carcass is a super rare event that the ecosystem has to function without or collapse. If a whale died on a reef, sure.
>>
>>2038630
>It literally takes months for these critters to find the bodies
not really a problem when it takes 50-100 years for the carcass to be completely consumed by them.
>>
Budgies.
>get a female budgie
>instantly starts terrorizing my cat, biting her ears and whiskers
>bites me all the time, it's not preening too - she preens me rather nicely sometimes but more often she flies into rage and starts squawking, running up and down my arm and biting it, drew blood several times
>broke the lamp
>killed five or six houseplants
>shits all over another plant
>loves to jump into cups of herbal teas once they get lukewarm, get covered in tea, then fly around the room causing the tea to go EVERYWHERE
>chews fucking walls despite having mineral blocks and sand
>picks up pieces of dirt from pots and throws them around
>destroys plants not by eating them, but by deliberately CHEWING OFF THEIR FUCKING BRANCHES AND ONCE THEY ARE CHEWED OFF SHE JUST IGNORES THEM

I've come to a conclusion that budgies just like to do evil.
>>
>>2038669
Female budgies are assholes
>>
is it true that they were why the megalodon died out?
>>
Baboons or chimps

>>2038695
That's retarded
>>
>>2038630

Have you seen the ocean? The vast majority is a barren wasteland
>>
>>2038710
And where do you think Orcas live, dumbass? In the open ocean, where those vast, empty places are?
>>
>>2035787
What are you basing that on?
>>
>>2038694
She is eating window insulation right now.
>>
File: image.jpg (315 KB, 1086x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
315 KB, 1086x1500
>>2038732
Put the bitch in prison.
>>
>>2038694

i really liked the female budgie i had...

she would eat out of my hand, and she'd let me pet her as long as i let her pretend nip my finger after (she'd literally just put her beak over my hand, no pressure, sometimes lick it instead) so i'd pet her and then put my finger close and she'd do that and then bob her head all happy and shit... it was cute as hell
>>
>>2038793

+ also

elephant seals... i saw a doc on them not long ago, and they're fucking horrible to each other and everything around them...
>>
Chimpanzees. Pieces of shit should be eradicated.
>>
How is it that nobody has said house cats yet?

Those things are total assholes. They kill and kill, and it is mostly for fun. They only eat about 40% of their kills. They just roam around killing small birds, animals and lizards for fun.
>>
>>2038800
das racist
>>
>>2035756
Chimps, baboons, hornets
>>
niggers
>>
>>2038845
>>2038909

Yeah, but they don't rape other species or their own kind for fun. Lookin at you, dolphins.
>>
>>2038935
I think you mean ducks.
Male ducks are the most sexually depraved of all the animals.
>>
>>2038929
See >>2038897 and >>2038800.
Also see >>2038701.
>>
>>2038929
>Humans don't count
>>
>>2038975
>implying
>>
>>2038935
Niggers do
>>
>>2039027
> implying
>>
>>2038695

Pitiful speculation.

Megalodon co-existed with several species of macropredatory sperm-whales (not just Livyatan, but also Oryctorocetus and others) and they survived just fine.
>>
>>2035756
niggers
or
sand niggers
>>
>>2035939
>does whale sounds make you cry

No it doesn't half breed

GIT OFF THE LAND HALF BREED
>>
>>2035756
southern resident orcas don't even eat anything but fish
>>
>>2038712
yeah some of the populations do. and others live near shore.
>>
File: Orcas dont give a fuck.jpg (50 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Orcas dont give a fuck.jpg
50 KB, 600x450
>>2035756
Orcas, humans and chimps are all fuckheads. the capacity to be a massive fucktard goes hand in hand with intelligence unfortunately. intelligent animals need to do asshole shit to entertain themselves
>>
>>2035756
OP confirmed for Great white shark
>>
>>2035939
Only one whale song makes me cry. And that is the loneliest whale in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52-hertz_whale

Decades this whale has been wandering around alone, singing out to others, and will never get a response because it's "voice" is at the wrong frequency for other whales to hear.
>>
File: deslippe_figure1_ksm[1].jpg (89 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
deslippe_figure1_ksm[1].jpg
89 KB, 500x400
literally make a living enslaving other ants
>>
I can relate
>>
Meme animal desu but I like 'em

>>2035939
>>2039340
Listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buY35Ae7lJY
>>
File: giant_panda.jpg (22 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
giant_panda.jpg
22 KB, 443x332
>>
>>2039538
"Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into war, use chemical sprays to alarm and confuse enemies, capture slaves, engage in child labour, exchange information ceaselessly. They do everything but watch television." - Lewis Thomas, American Etymologist
>>
>>2041350
JUST FUCKING MATE ALREADY WE'VE GIVEN YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED DONT YOU KNOW JACKIE CHAN HAS MADE YOU PRACTICALLY EXTINCT!?
>>
>>2039057
>Oryctorocetus
Google literally turns no results but this thread, is the name right? Could you post a pic or something? How huge was it?
>>
>>2038630
what do you have against deep sea critters? they gotta eat too
>>
>>2035767
And? The tongue is enough for those Killer whales but the rest of the whale will be a great meal for scavengers.
The Whale will not go to waste.
>>
>>2042053
But they're not important
>>
>>2038695
Panama land bridge probably killed the megaladon, whale diversity declined after the ocean temps changed when it blocked up the Atlantic from the pacific.
>>
>>2042781
Could you post any source?
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.