[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
adv sent me here. What dog for a jogging,hunting and smart companion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: unnamed (2).jpg (74 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (2).jpg
74 KB, 384x384
adv sent me here. What dog for a jogging,hunting and smart companion should i get? preferably a furry lad since I'm thinkina movin to the mountains soon
pic kinda related but i wanna hear other options
>>
>>2035677
Have you ever had a dog before?
>Yes - Husky
>No - Labrador Retriever
Do you work long hours?
>Consider a greyhound. I'm normally against shelter dogs due to wild behavior & aggression, but greyhounds are docile as fuck. I'd sugggest one of these if you're out often as Huskies/Labs shouldn't be left alone for long periods of time
>>
>>2035681
>Have you ever had a dog before?
had dog before but had absolutely no clue since i was 7
>Do you work long hours?
reserves in the army weekly training and roughly a fortnight to do anything like..actual
so if i was to go with a labrador retriever, would he be fine with these conditions?
>>
Greyhounds aren't for jogging. Look into dalmatians
>>
>>2035690
Dalmatians are an 11 on the activity scale. If you let them get bored they become neurotic and relentless, very nippy dogs. Would not suggest

>>2035681
> against shelter dogs due to wild behavior & aggression
Pro-tip; go to a 501(c)3 shelter (preferably kill ones, as they are much less picky than any breeder). Those shelters need to abide by their state's regulations and codes, which hold them reliable for their animal's behavior (as in, they are held responsible and can get sued for animal attacks). They are very strict about what animals get to go through, and oftentimes if they don't score 90 or higher on a behavior assessment they get put down or placed in a rescue. I honestly suggest a good shelter over a dog breeder for first time owners because of this, but unfortunately usually the opposite happens and that's when shitty, untrained adult dogs show up.

What kind of hunting are you doing, OP and what do you want the dog to do while hunting?
>>
>>2035698
i want the lad to track animals for me to hunt, you know, following footsteps of a deer or something like that, maybe shelters if needed
as a bonus if it is capable of hunting by himself that outta be great.
>>
>>2035698
also deer or rabbits and ducks i reckon, not too extreme
>>
>>2035686
A lab would totally be fine with that, but you have to be sure you don't let it develop separation anxiety. Crate train it hard.

Definitely 100% avoid shelter dogs those will almost all have separation anxiety issues. Don't listen to what the shelter-cucks tell you
>>
>>2035698
I agree 100% but even then a shelter dog is not good for a first time dog owner doubled with the fact he's reserves, it's a horrible idea.
>>
>>2035677
Dobermans.
Ftw.
Endless energy. Highly intelligent. Loyal. Protective. Easy to train.
>>
>>2035817
can i trust it without a leash or would it jump over 100 fences to eat a rabbit like the bloody pharaoh hounds?
also how can it perform it during hunting sessions?
>>
>>2035712
>Definitely 100% avoid shelter dogs those will almost all have separation anxiety issues. Don't listen to what the shelter-cucks tell you
That isn't true at all.
>>
>>2035826
>can i trust it without a leash or would it jump over 100 fences to eat a rabbit like the bloody pharaoh hounds?
That depends on how well you train it, as with any other dog.
>>
Australian cattle dog or Australian cattle dog x Boarder Collie mix. The acd makes it hardy as fuck, can travel long distances, obedient, loyal and very quick to learn. The Collie will give it the tracking and chasing edge. They are also agile because of their tail and can change directions quick so good for rabbits.

Or Doberman as someone else Sid or retriever because they are so fucking easy and stress free.
>>
>>2035831
Worst advice ever. Got a shelter dog later 9 months. Crate trained her since day 1,fine with it. Work 12 hour days max 3 days a week with 4 off before next 2 or 3 day stint and mines fine. Is a cattle dog. Bit neurotic, just give them shit to do when you arent home like hide treats, kongs, a plastic sea shell full of water and before you go to work take them for a 45 Min walk/run. I might be an exceptional case but I know others in the same boat. Just be responsible and teach your dog it's ok to be alone and direct it to keep itself busy with stimulating activities.

However obviously avoid long times or separation at all costs.
>>
>>2035855
>muh anecdotal evidence
>muh shelter dog
>muh pit bull
using this logic
lol ok
>>
>>2035846
>as with any other dog
>any
>implying all dogs including huskies
WOO WOO WOO. RETARD ALERT. RETARD ALERT.

REMINDER THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER, EVER, TRUST A HUSKY OR MALAMUTE OFF LEASH & ONLY LET THEM OFF IF YOU HAVE AN E-COLLAR ON THEM

Every single top dog trainer will tell you the same thing about arctic dogs
>>
>>2035857
>not being good enough to discipline an arctic dog
What are you, some kind of retard?
>>
so doberman is good?
>>
File: Snapchat-3608321962747324511.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3608321962747324511.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>2035856
No this is my dog. Pitbulls are also incredibly rare here/people don't bring them out in public. Also nothing I said there was unreasonable nor did I fail to mention that my evidence was anecdotal. However more often than not, shelter dogs become equals, if not better than pure bred. Also thanks for making me reply.

As for op, whatever choice you make you'll end up giving a dog a great home as you seem interested and caring. Best of luck!
>>
Norwegian elk hound.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
>>2035677
The best dog for hunting...
>>
Swedish vallhund, it's smart, can handle cold weather and has alot of energie
>>
First time I will ever recommend this but get a Husky.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.