[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, I've had a Newfoundland bitch which is about a year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: Newfoundland_dog_Smoky.jpg (211 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
Newfoundland_dog_Smoky.jpg
211 KB, 1067x1600
Okay, I've had a Newfoundland bitch which is about a year and a half old now.
But I've had a recurring problem with trying to feed her in that she doesn't eat at all.
The vet said she'll eat when she is hungry just make sure food is available, but she doesn't.
When she was younger I would feed her raw beef every second day, but she even turn her nose up at that and leave it to rot so I stopped.
I've tried multiple brands of kibble along with wet food and she'll eat it for a few days but then ignore it again.
So because she was so skinny I moved back in to my Father's home for about half a year, who has two dogs of his own, she would eat at his and even try to steal the other two dog's food but as soon as I bring her home the only way I can get food into her is to feed her whatever I'm eating or hand feed her kibble single biscuit at a time.
So she only eats properly 3 days a week, the days I take her to my Fathers, but she's got so skinny again and I'm confident her growth is stunted now.

Anyone got dogs like this or know of a solution?
>>
you need to stop sharing your food with her and only give her whatever dog food you want her to have. don't give in after 2 or 3 days of her not eating and give her table scraps. make her finally give in and eat what you want her to eat.

she's been checked out by a vet, right?
>>
A professional vet told you what to do, so listen to them. She will not starve herself to death, stop giving in. If you can't take care of this dog properly, then get rid of her.

Try excersising her for more than her usual time so that she has an appetite. Other than that, STOP letting her have other food or table scraps. You could try switching to a new kibble, but don't do anything else. She will it, but unlike us dogs can go a good three or four days without giving in to their stomachs so ignore her.
>>
>>2034703
The problem is, OP, is that she is too smart for her own good. Basically, she's figured out that if she waits long enough then you will give her whatever she wants.

This is the dog equivalent of a human child throwing a temper tantrum until the parents give in and feed the child candy and ice cream instead of vegetables.

Listen to >>2034839 >>2034846 and your vet. Go back to feeding her kibble, once she starts eating that again then gradually re-introduce her to raw meat every other day.

Three times a day, put a bowl of kibble down in her designated area, make sure she knows it's there. If she doesn't eat it within 30 minutes, pour it into a tupperware container, close the lid, and put it in your pantry where she can't reach it.

She's smart enough that eventually she will figure out that if she doesn't eat when you say she will, then she won't eat at all.

Also, stop taking her to your dad's. Or at the very least make sure she doesn't get any kind of access to food while at your fathers.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.