[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishbowl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: 1452303440524.png (2 MB, 1720x1409) Image search: [Google]
1452303440524.png
2 MB, 1720x1409
Hey, /an/. I brought you this.
>>>/a/135866496
>>
>>2033707
Lots of people are like that. Their parents failed them and they're unfixable, it's an unfortunate fact of life.

Also what the fuck is a nip?
>>
>>2033712
It's short for Nippon, I have only ever seen it used in 4chan to refer to Japanese.
>>
>>2033725
I didn't think fish bowls were common in Japan. Or anywhere outside of the US and UK, really.
>>
>>2033728
Asians are the worst fishkeepers in existence, even worse than kids.
>>
File: asian.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
asian.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>2033869
I disagree, they do keep bichir and other fish cramped up but they seem healthy and not too skinny or fat.
Also, usually the cramped aquariums are at fish stores.
>>
>>2033869
Non-Western cultures in general seem to take a very... "different" approach to animal welfare. The Japanese specifically don't seem to be that bad (compared to, say, China), but I was specifically referring to keeping fish in bowls.
>>
>>2033725
>being this ignorant
"nipponese" is an actual word.
>>
>>2033869
Year right.
Japan and China have produced most of the koi and goldfish varieties in existence.
>>
File: 20111216133743281.jpg (42 KB, 588x505) Image search: [Google]
20111216133743281.jpg
42 KB, 588x505
>>2033945
Yeah, they're experts when it comes to fuck up their fish.
>>
>>2033945

I have also heard several asians refer to their fish in aquariums as moving plants, and we all know how much asians just LOVE and CARE for their rainforests.
>>
>>2033956
If you LOVE fish there's something wrong with you.
>>
File: soup.jpg (37 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
soup.jpg
37 KB, 620x349
are these still a thing in china?

I think Switzerland is the best country in fish keeping. I heard you have to make sure to provide enough space for each specific fish that you want to buy.
>>
>>2033990
>I heard you have to make sure to provide enough space for each specific fish that you want to buy.
those laws exist in other countries as well, but really, who would ever give a shit/control/enforce this?
>>
>>2033945
Mostly China for goldfish, Japan for koi. And koi aren't bad, they're just colorful carp. The Japanese are also responsible for some of the "least fucked up" goldfish, like wakin and jikin. Their biggest transgression AFAIK is the tosakin, but that one is basically just a statement of neurosis.
>>
>>2033990
There are cities throughout Italy where fish bowls are actually banned. I think Scandanavian countries and Germany all tend to take very good care of fish.
>>
>>2033999
Think so too, German here.

A friend from Paris did not want to give me 15€ for my old used 25l shrimp tank with heater, lamp and filter. Too expensive.
He told me in France they just put goldfish in bowls and everybody is fine with it; they are only fish.
>>
File: 1024px-Black_Ranchu.jpg (59 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Black_Ranchu.jpg
59 KB, 1024x683
>>2033992
Japan made lots of disgusting looking goldfish breeds.
>>
>>2033991
>who would ever give a shit/control/enforce this?
Switzerland.
>>
>>2034004
>>2033991

This kind of selfish thought bothers me.
The idea that an individual is totally warranted in taking a life under their responsibility and, rather than outright killing it, is often socially and economically encouraged to neglect and indirectly mistreat the life.

This happens with everything from cats and dogs to lizards and birds to fish and frogs. This human-centrist view discourages the sort of progressive thought necessary to catalyze the paradigm shift needed in industry and legislation to put humanity back in good standing with each other and the planet that we live on.
>>
>>2034006

Using fish the Chinese butchered genetically for several hundred years.
>>
>>2034009
>work at petshart fish dept
>woman is holding a 1.5 gallon bowl looking at the mollies
>tell her "none of these fish are okay in bowls. the bowls are for bettas, but even they would do better in a tank"
>woman, "oh"
>she puts the 1.5g bowl down on a shelf and picks up a half gallon drum
>muttering something about "for a dumb betta"

People make me want to scream.
>>
>>2034006
Some Japanese breeds of fancy goldfish look awful, but most of them are actually just as live just as long and are just as hardy as regular fantail goldfish. I'm not saying Japan is a shining example of proper animal care (their fishing practices alone...), just that it's incorrect to put them on the same level as China when it comes to developing nasty breeds of domesticated animals.

>China
>common
>fantail
>bubble eye
>telescope eye
>celestial eye
>lionhead
>oranda
>pompom
>ryukin

>Japan
>shubunkin
>wakin
>jikin
>hana fusa
>pearlscale
>ranchu
>tosakin

>US
>comet
>veiltail
(Americans really have a thing for long, raggedy fins)
>>
>>2034031
>most of them are actually just as live just as long
>most of them actually live just as long
bit of a train wreck...
>>
>>2034008
yeah sure, the police will definitely knock on your door to check if your 10 fish have a big enoguh tank lmao
>>
>>2034038

How about they don't sell you the fucking fish until you show proof of a tank large enough to house them in, dipshit?
>>
File: 30819_400wh.jpg (134 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
30819_400wh.jpg
134 KB, 400x400
>>2034043
I assumed it would just have to do with manufacturer labeling. Like, you have to show a properly stocked tank on the packaging (looking at you, Aqueon) and you can't make a 5 gallon kit that has a label saying "Ideal for barbs!" (still looking at Aqueon)
>>
>>2034043
stay delusional. nobody gives a shit about some 2$ fish. otherwise pet stores would go bankrupt
>>
>>2034043
That would be great, but almost no one would buy fish, and because fish aren't mammals, their suffering doesn't hit most people in their feelings. They wouldn't be profitable anymore, so petstores wouldn't stock them, or would go under.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.