[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people believe that megalododon isn't extinct?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-Megalodon_scale.svg.png (149 KB, 2000x1413) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Megalodon_scale.svg.png
149 KB, 2000x1413
>>
Because of discovery/animal planet and their docufiction bs that they keep churning out.
>>
Because of shitty fake, manipulative documentaries Discovery put out for shark week.
They flat out said they were experimenting with story telling and how to draw in viewers. They also said this year they would be doing more 'facts' and actual research, but take that as you will.

The Discovery Channel took the reality TV show route a long time ago. They had a show about the 'amish mafia' for fucks sake. Just stop watching TV all together, OP. It's never going back to actual educating documentaries that serenade you with their monotone narrators.
>>
>>2033627
I miss the old TLC. Now it's completely trash. There's a show about midgets having kids and a show called "My 600 Pound Life". This makes me sad.
>>
I can honestly say I wish it was still around, but there has been zero hardcore findings that it does. I would think at this point we would have gotten at least a few things to point to it being there like, "Holy shit, this blue whale was bitten straight the fuck in half."
>>
Why doesn't great white sharks grow bigger?
>>
>>2033642
Because that is there size. That's like saying why don't house cats grow to the size of their house. Megalodon=/= Great white
>>
>>2033655
*Their
>>
>>2033657
Oh fuck off
>>
My best friends father in law 110% believes that merpeople are real because of that fucking "documentary" that discovery put out a few years ago

How the hell can someone be so damn naive
>>
>>2033655
they don't actually have a size.

they keep growing as long as they're alive.

they don't get fuckhuge because there's a limit to how long they live rather than strictly how big they get.
>>
>>2033661
Maybe I didn't phrase it right. I am assuming the anon I was replying to meant why do great whites not become a massive thing of megalodon just because.
>>
>>2033660
My coworker does too. When it first came out she was having a fit telling me they got actual for real evidence of merfolke, and I was like yea? And then I saw the show and I was like, they have for real evidence of shitty photoshop,
>>
>>2033642
Their only predators for an adult great white are orcas. Killer whales are larger and ambush great whites in short bursts of top speed that are much faster them than them. Other than that, they don't have competition except for smaller great whites or juveniles.

In the Cenozoic era where megalodons lived, there was more competition between large marine predators. We had more carnivorous whales, like the Livyatan which also inhabited the oceans the same time as megalodon. It was similar to sperm whales, but had more functional jaws that would allow it to grab larger prey rather than just feeding on squid and is suspected that it also hunted other whales. You also had other large, megatooth sharks around.
The decline of large marine reptiles also probably contributed in sharks and whales rising up but in the end, we lost many large marine animals. One of the factors is that they just didn't have enough prey to live on. Hell, look at the largest mammals in the ocean right now. The blue whale eats krill, fin whales(second largest after blue whales) eat krill, small fish, crabs, squid, etc, whale sharks eat krill, plankton, fish eggs, etc and sperm whales mainly eat squid, but also eat small fish and sometimes sharks. They are probably successful since those times and survived because they didn't have to rely on hunting large prey.

>>2033660
>>2033667
When that dragons documentary came out in 2004, I had the biggest fights with friends and my brother because they thought they were real. I never saw anything but clips from the mermaid documentary, but at least the dragons one tried to make them somewhat realistic(the wyvern dragon with the dinosaur was pretty cool). I like speculative science and 'what if' scenarios but I can't imagine what bs excuses they made up to make those spermaids things functional.
>>
>>2033672
Supposedly some kids had a shitty cell phone vidya of a mermaid washed up on the beach entangled in seaweed and when they got closer it jumped up and RRARRARGGGHHHH at them.
>>
>>2033672
Also, apparently in the beginning humans were split into land dwellers and sea dwellers, who had to evolve to like in the ocean. They soon learned of the horrors of us land walkers trying to kill them or whatever so they stay away from us.
>>
>>2033681
Something about bone spears being brought up in fishing nets
>>
>>2033672
>>2033679
>>2033681
>>2033684
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqleRxEDwrg

Surprise mermaid clip
>>
>>2033692
I remember hearing about the documentary and being excited after years of not watching TV.

Then I learned what discovery had become.
>>
>>2033699
You know, if they would have presented it as,"Here is a theory on mermaids and how they would have come to be" it would be a lot better. Instead of passing it off as undeniable truth, more like, consider the following...
>>
>>2033702
People like yourself that don't know what a theory is usually respond better when fantasy is presented as truth though.
>>
>>2033703
...What on earth makes you think I don't know what a theory is?
>>
>>2033718
you characterized a fantasy as theory.

there's a fine line between failing to differentiate fantasy from theory and failing to differentiate it from reality. Usually less than 10 IQ points.
>>
>>2033720
No? If you have an idea- lets say I have an idea the cheese graters were the start of all life in the world, that is a theory. I would then go about gathering research and proof to support my THEORY. Anything can be a theory. A smart one? No. But a theory none the less.
>>
>>2033726
You're confusing a theory with a hypothesis. You don't know what a theory is.
>>
>>2033727
A hypothesis stems from a theory, love.
>>
>>2033729
I love this moron.
seriously my favorite moron on /an/.
>>
>>2033729

Not that anon, but...

No, it doesn't.

"A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation." - Wikipedia

What you're talking about is a hypothesis and the subsequent testing. What you /think/ is a theory is actually an idea.
>>
>>2033737

You could do better than just name-call.
>>
>>2033742
I didn't mean it as an insult.
I usually love harmless people that I feel sorry for.

Like someone that stupid must really rely on the good will and generosity of others, and it makes me just want to rush in and save them from the ass-whipping life is inevitably going to give them.

I don't know why. I feel the same about puppies.
>>
>>2033737
I wonder who you think I am?
>>2033738
A scientific theory, not just a theory. It sounds like semantics to me. An idea starts everything. Was immer.
>>
>>2033749
>I wonder who you think I am?
Over the last month or so I've enjoyed at least three conversations with some moron that doesn't know what a theory is.

I assume they're all you, there really aren't that many users here and it would be odd to have more than one that thinks both hypotheses and complete bullshit are both types of theories.

frankly I have a bit of a crush on you. You're not just wrong, you're consistently, stubbornly wrong. I love a moron that sticks to their guns.
>>
>>2033750
Well shit, now I wish I was that anon, but no, I lurk and post ratings in puppy threads. Give me something else to be wrong about, I want you to love me.
>>
>>2033750
>>2033751

>tfw /an/ is majority female
>tfw you are most likely watching cyber yuri unfold

So, semantics are important in science because precision is a thing and actually matters.

Can you two, like, kiss now?

Puppies.
>>
>>2033753
If only anon, if only.

But yes in certain aspects of science. Do you want your compounded IV to be more of a 'meh' or a 'yes'?
>>
>>2033751
>now I wish I was that anon, but no
I don't believe you for a minute.
There aren't that many people here that don't know the difference between a theory and a steaming heap of bullshit.

I only love you if you're stupid and harmless. Once you start lying to me you're stupid and dangerous.
>>2033753
I have a penis, sorry.
>>
>>2033759
I swear to you, senpai-anon, I'm not like those other fools. They are not real, they do not understand what they don't understand like me. Please senpai-anon, take me, take me and teach me your ways.
>>
File: again.png (43 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
again.png
43 KB, 200x200
>>2033760
baka
>>
File: mega senpai.png (178 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
mega senpai.png
178 KB, 500x281
>>2033761
>>
>>2033759
>I have a penis

You can fix that.
>>
It probably originates from a megalodon tooth found by the HMS Challanger in 1872. For the longest time was thought to be only about 10,000 years old, and it was only re-examined and debunked about a decade ago, somewhat ironically by an investigation led by MonsterQuest.

>>2033623
>>2033627

The widespread belief predates those fake documentaries, though. The possibility of megalodon and carcharias being the same species was present in pop-culture as early as 1974, when Peter Benchley wrote about it in the original JAWS novel. Steve Alten's MEG became a huge best-seller too of course, riding the 90's Jurassic-mania while presenting the surviving deep-sea population theory in a way that sounded scientifically plausible and convincing to your average joe.
>>
Hey guys, I have this question regarding evolution especially with the GW and Megalodon so I might as well ask it now.

At what point in evolution does an animal become a separate species? If GW is so related to Megalodon, what made them split? Does GW come from Megalodon? Or did they split from a common ancestor like us and chimps? Even then, when does a new species evolve from a common ancestor? It's not like pokemon; evolution is gradual.
>>
>>2034002
>At what point in evolution does an animal become a separate species?
when it stops breeding with other members of its species.
>If GW is so related to Megalodon, what made them split?
They aren't necessarily that closely related. The split presumably had to do with time and diet. Probably climate and sea level as well.
>Does GW come from Megalodon?
not really.
>Or did they split from a common ancestor like us and chimps?
Sort of, though that's not a great example since the common ancestor of humans and chimps is a chimp. We descended from chimps. Like we literally bred with genetically modern chimps during our early evolution.

Great whites and Megalodon probably aren't even that closely related.
>Even then, when does a new species evolve from a common ancestor?
the last time they mate with their previous species.

e.g., the human lineage became a distinct species from chimps approximately the same time our ancestors last mated with chimps.
>>
>>2034128
>when it stops breeding with other members of its species.
that never happens.

plants and animals constantly hybridize.
>>
>>2034135
>plants and animals constantly hybridize
yes, you're very smart.

We're talking about the population as a whole though. Individuals may breed with members of their previous species, but when the population in general doesn't it has either become a new species or is well on its way.
>>
>>2034140
>We're talking about the population as a whole though
it happens to populations as a whole in plants, try Dactylorhiza for example, you're going to have a hard time finding plants that aren't hybrids.

it doesn't happen with members of the precious species, animals and plants fuck around with pretty much everything they can fertilize, and some even do it with what they can't fertilize.
>>
>>2034142
>it happens to populations as a whole in plants
that's cool but anon asked about animals.
>>
>>2034147
animals do it as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genetic_hybrids
nature doesn't really give a shit about purity.
>>
>>2034149
populations of animals don't do it, because when they do we synonymize them.
>>
>>2034152
you'd be suprised.

isn't that what happened to neanderthalers, we kind of fucked them out of existence as a population.
>>
>>2034159
>isn't that what happened to neanderthalers
I don't think so. If that were true we'd have much higher Neanderthal content.
>>
>>2034159
>>2034162
also after we discovered Neanderthal DNA in our genome there was (and still is) a strong push to synonymize them.
>>
>>2034162
>If that were true we'd have much higher Neanderthal content.
that wouldn't be the case if we did it as a population.

if we soley fucked neanderthalers it would indeed by higher.

off topic but do you remember the name of that pizza that's flapped together?
>>
>>2034165
the amount came from something less than 100 matings iirc, all of which were with females. It seems unlikely the entire population of Neanderthals was ever limited to less than 100 individuals, all female.

I have no idea what you're asking about pizza.
>>
>>2034170
it's the kind where they take one side and flap it on top of the other side, and then they seal the sides, I forgot the name but I want to look up how to make it.

>the amount came from something less than 100 matings iirc
that seems too reasonable, it's probably a lot more complicated.

plants and animals kind of work the same though.
>>
>>2034172
>it's probably a lot more complicated
probably. It usually is.

calzone?
>>
>>2034175
>calzone
thanks, that's it.

you can't name any animals that commonly hybridize?

i'm more into plants but I can't imagine they're a lot different when it comes to reproduction.
>>
>>2034178
>you can't name any animals that commonly hybridize?
not more than a fraction of the time. If that happened we'd synonymize them and they wouldn't be considered interspecific hybrids anymore.
>>
>>2034181
>If that happened we'd synonymize them
you're overestimating how much science cares.
>>
>>2034165
>that pizza that's flapped together
Calzone?
>>
>>2034190
Oops I'm late, nevermind.
>>
>>2034189
also the same rules that apply to animal taxonomy also apply to plants.

yet they still haven't fixed dactylorhizas and tomatoes yet.

I don't mind those orchids too much but tomatoes are really a mess, it's a fucking clade now like what the fuck.
>>
>>2034189
>you're overestimating how much science cares
I doubt it.
can you name any species of vertebrates that form interspecific hybrids in more than 10% of breedings and aren't yet synonymized?

I don't know of any. Perhaps among Darwin's finches. I think there's been some movement towards synonymizing those though.
>>
>>2034236
>can you name any species of vertebrates
im bugguy not vertebrate guy.

I found those while researching but it doesn't appear to be uncommon.
>>
>>2034242
no, hybridization isn't uncommon at all.

entire populations hybridizing just doesn't happen.
>>
>>2034247
>entire populations hybridizing just doesn't happen.
how sure are you of that.

because I'm not very sure about that.
>>
>>2033637
I see no problem with shows about midgets. I'm curious how little people live.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.