[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animal Hobbies and Careers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: birdowl.jpg (1001 KB, 1416x945) Image search: [Google]
birdowl.jpg
1001 KB, 1416x945
So /an/ how many of you either work in /an/ careers or do wildlife photography or breed? I know we have a fair amount of people that work in research and breeders but I never see any photographers. Anything related to the hobby of animals and nature besides owning a pet.
>>
It's probably because any hobbiest photographer posts on /p/ for feedback. I want to try to get into basic photography of nature and deep space. I have a Nikon D3300 to start with. Just need to learn how to take pictures super good.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 417x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 417x417
>>2033449
/p/ is garbage for feedback or conversation.

>>2033429
I'm a wildlife photographer. I'm on my phone so here is a super low quality version of a picture I took.
>>
>>2033429

Current DVM/MS student working with a swine laboratory and at the local animal shelter.
>>
File: reptilechameleon3.jpg (78 KB, 889x960) Image search: [Google]
reptilechameleon3.jpg
78 KB, 889x960
>>2033449
>>2033475
I don't know I've been interested in picking up a camera for awhile. I travel a lot and do a lot of wilderness exploring that I'd love to be able to take pictures of. I'm not sure of what camera system to buy into between nikon or canon I know it doesn't matter but I'm just really anal about these things. 7dmark ii seems really alluring but I can't shake how much I like the d810. I love birds but I do just work with smaller subjects like reptiles and inverts
I breed inverts (mantids) as well so it'd be nice to actually get some good photos of them.
>>
File: IMG_20160108_123256.jpg (796 KB, 1920x1088) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_123256.jpg
796 KB, 1920x1088
I volunteer at a raptor rehabilitation center three times a week.
>>
>>2033536
That's really cool how is it? Any advice on volunteering or just working there/with the birds in general?
I've been meaning to volunteer somewhere with raptors but I haven't found one specifically for it near me so applied to a general place wildlife rehab please instead.
>>
>>2033549
I'm not really one to give advice, I'm still learning. Just do whatever your boss tells you to do, and always make yourself useful.
>>
>>2033549
Not the original commenter, but I have been doing rehab for many years. I would highly recommend starting at a general rehab and working your way up to raptors. Raptors are the most unforgiving wildlife to handle in my opinion because it takes just a little mistake for something really terrible to happen to someone. I am glad Thst I slowly worked my way up from squirrels and doves to raptors.

A general tip is to not make eye contact, especially owls. They take it as a threat and will act crazy.
>>
>>2033518

I would recommend Canon. Their lenses tend to be cheaper than Nikon for the same, if not better, quality. Also more decent entry level bodies. When you go out hiking or bird watching or whatever, try and sneak a peek at people's camera and you'll see probably 70% canon and 30% Nikon or other.
>>
File: a big part of the job.jpg (206 KB, 1202x681) Image search: [Google]
a big part of the job.jpg
206 KB, 1202x681
>>2033549
>>2033608

Also keep in mind you probably won't be working with the birds that often. A important part of the job at least in my case, is feeding rats and preparing food. Handling raptors can be dangerous business if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>2033609
I like canon lenses but I like Nikon better for landscape and macro
>>
I study veterinary medicine and fantasize about having a reptile collection again.
I am also a part time shitposter
>>
I work at a farm where they have exotic animals like racoons, skunks, wallabies etc but they also have other animals like bunny's, dogs, cats etc
>>
Yeah i do animal photo for hobby. Mostly zoo, some wildlife in local parks and surrounding area (usually birds) and learning how to macro live bugs.

aminalspls.tumblr.com
>>
>>2034186
Macro interests me a lot I don't know much about it
>>
>>2034145
I miss my old reptile collection just for the sake of space and time I have an invert collection. I am also a part time shitposter.
>>2034156
That's nice wallabies and skunks seem neat.
>>2034186
Nice hippos do you work at the zoo?
>>
I breed reptiles.

Currently laid eggs probably don't have a chance though, the cold snap had temps in the enclosures drop below 70 until I woke up and turned the heater on. :C
>>
>>2034300
What do you breed
>>
>>2034306
Right now, l. williamsi, but I'm waiting for my Brazilian Rainbow Boas to mature and I plan to primarily breed them. The l. williamsi are kind of difficult and not very rewarding so far.
>>
>>2034308
Awesome I love brb do you manage to sell off excess geckos?
>>
>>2034318
Haven't sold any yet, but doubt I'll have a problem when I do. They seem to go on the FB groups I'm in within 24 hours. Was hard as fuck to get the pair I have.

I think the most difficult part will be getting them into cups to ship them. They are FUCKING FAST.
>>
>>2033475
How'd you get into wildlife photography?
>>
>>2034298
>do you work at the zoo?

Nope, I just live really close to it and walk around the grounds a couple times a month with my camera. Speaking of which, the zoo sent out a news post just last week saying one of their western lowlands gorillas is pregnant! That's awesome. There hasn't been a gorilla birth at the zoo since 2008.

>>2034293

Macro is interesting and sort of similar, in some ways, to long telephoto type shooting. So far I think the most important thing I have learned is that you can never ever have too much light for macro. Moar light! Always moar.
>>
>>2034342
New gorilla is awesome. I've been meaning to get into photography I just want to think of what id rather do more bird or more macro before I buy anything.
>>
i did volunteer/seasonal work at a wildlife rehab, focusing mainly on birds

three months internship with hoofed stock at a zoo
eight months internship with birds at the same zoo

three and a half years-ish as a bird keeper at a different zoo

left because stupid shit ass management politics are too much for me when my animals' well being is involved

might get back into it and aim for a legit institution or something that doesn't deal with the public
>>
>>2034436
Macro is relatively inexpensive to try without committing to a dedicated macro lens purchase. You can buy a set of macro tubes to attach to a normal lens for less than $100. They go for about $80 if you want electric contacts for auto focus and aperture control from camera body. Like $20 without the electric contacts.

Any dslr with a basic kit lens telephoto (55-300mm) is good enough to get started for birbs.
>>
>>2034338
I started college as a wildlife bio major, and I won a camera at an unrelated work event (not a dslr, it was just a point and shoot) and found that I had a knack for it even with shit shutter speed and that people liked my photos. I invested in a dslr because I was interested in doing field research so I figured it would be useful to be able to take my own photos or that it would make me a useful person to bring along.
>>
Currently in the process of applying for a job at an animal sanctuary near me. Have been offered to arrange an interview, am going to call and do so tomorrow. Wish me luck bros
>>
>>2034692
Good luck hope it goes well post back how you did
>>
I'm an engineer.

I just like birdwatching, astronomy and growing succulents as a hobby.

Anyone interested in animal/nature art?
>>
>>2035335
I am but I'm a terrible artist. My girlfriend draws animals and I might start selling them for her with my animals at shows.
>>
>>2035338
What kind of shows do you do?
Also, can you post an example of the art. It's alwats nice to see that kind of stuff
>>
>>2035341
Local reptile shows I don't have her art unfortunately
>>
File: Snapchat-6290232164194594322.jpg (138 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6290232164194594322.jpg
138 KB, 480x800
Work at a kill shelter in the north east, but I do amateur photography of the animals as they come in. They usually get replaced as volunteers take better photos, unless they are marked TBD in which case no one cares

>>2034156
Is that like a puppy mill for exotics?
>>
>>2033429
I'm a finance major, looking to go into investment banking.

I'm also looking to breed my snakes when they reach breeding maturity (I suspect I have a girl) so it's a year or 2 away. I'll be graduated and doing adult stuff by then.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.