[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, a bit of backstory. I'm a male with slight tinnitus,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Spectrum_2016_01_05_18_06_29.jpg (505 KB, 1440x1908) Image search: [Google]
Spectrum_2016_01_05_18_06_29.jpg
505 KB, 1440x1908
So, a bit of backstory. I'm a male with slight tinnitus, only bothers me when drunk and trying to sleep. My girlfriend and I moved to a new apartment and got a dog, a short coated chihuahua. After a while I noticed a high pitched sound when I laid down in bed.

At first I thought it was tinnitus but that was quickly dismissed as it went away when I turned my head slightly. It was a pretty low tolerance on angle before it went away. Made sense to think it was coilwhine from a powersupply or something and again I dismissed it. Then this evening I laid down on the sofa next to our dog and the sound was there again. The motherfucker is the source of the sound, and after some studying I figured it came from his left ear, my gorlfriend had never heard it before but when I told her to listen to the dogs left ear she heard it too.

In order to fully rid myself of makebelieve I dowbloaded a sound analyzer and while I sort of doubt the accuracy of the frequence (it sounds more like a 13KHz sound), it's still damn obvious that something is there. The first image here is from backround noise with the mic held to the right ear of the dog. Looks fine? Give me a few seconds and I'll post the left ear audio.
>>
File: Spectrum_2016_01_05_18_06_25.jpg (493 KB, 1440x1908) Image search: [Google]
Spectrum_2016_01_05_18_06_25.jpg
493 KB, 1440x1908
This is the left ear. The oddity should be obvious. Any idea of what this could be? Starting to think my dog may be from outer space, or mayve partly robotic.
>>
Also, I know there are some spelling mistakes, apologies for that. wrote this on my phone and didn't think of correcting the thing before posting.
>>
So the right ear of your dog is making a 10kHz whine?

Associated with breathing? Intermittent?
>odd
>>
>>2031097

When I measured it he was sleeping, and it's constant. Doesn't pulse with breathing or something else.

The left ear but yeah. I think he's trying to contact his alien overlords at this point.
>>
>>2031102
My ear sometimes does it. It can be air escaping through a swollen ear canal. take it to a vet to have it checked for an infection.
>>
>>2031117

Yeh, figured I'd take him anyways but that makes sense, even though he seems fine otherwise.
>>
Refined my searches a bit and found http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6735936

Looks like it's not unheard of (no pun intended)

Still taking him to the vet though.
>>
>An otoacoustic emission (OAE) is a sound which is generated from within the inner ear. OAEs are considered to be related to the amplification function of the cochlea. In the absence of external stimulation, the activity of the cochlear amplifier increases, leading to the production of sound. Several lines of evidence suggest that, in mammals, outer hair cells are the elements that enhance cochlear sensitivity and frequency selectivity and hence act as the energy sources for amplification. One theory is that they act to increase the discriminability of signal variations in continuous noise by lowering the masking effect of its cochlear ampliļ¬cation.

I had no idea that was a thing. I would have guessed radio waves were hitting an implanted ID chip in the dog's ear. Nature is pretty damn fascinating
>>
That's curious. There's endless amounts of strange things happening around us that we just don't pay attention to.
>>
>>2031221
I'm pretty impressed you managed to find a reasonable and logical explanation for this.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.