[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reptile & Amphibian General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63
The last thread has hit the bump limit, so once again its time for us to start a new one.

Old thread: >>2026025
>>
File: babu2.jpg (15 KB, 270x480) Image search: [Google]
babu2.jpg
15 KB, 270x480
First for my gecko a cute
>>
>>2030508
They shed really quickly and they tend to shed their entire skin at once and eat it.
Last time I caught mine shedding it only took him about 20 minutes.
>>
File: ayyyy.jpg (3 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
ayyyy.jpg
3 MB, 3200x2368
ayyyy
>>
>>2030573
What morph?
>>
>>2030611
He has stripes on his back and black spots. He's red when he gets fired up.

I dont know the exact morph, I didnt get him from a breeder.
>>
File: Pacman_crew.jpg (4 MB, 1546x5000) Image search: [Google]
Pacman_crew.jpg
4 MB, 1546x5000
These are my 4 pacman frogs, for whatever reason they are my absolute favorites out of all my reptiles and amphibians.
>>
>>2030637
The third dude's eye looks fucking unreal. Cool af.
>>
File: IMG_0731.png (590 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0731.png
590 KB, 600x800
This is now a daily occurrence at around 8-8:30PM.
>>
How many of you guys have pretty big snakes?

I always hear about "YOOOOO, THAT THINGS GONNA GET HUGE" but I never see any pictures.

I'm interested in snakes, and want a dude that'll grow pretty big over the many years of his/her life.

RECOMMEND ME SNEK

(Previous experience - garg gecko breeder. Snakes are new territory.)
>>
>>2030661
I don't have a big snek (BP above) but I have a friend with a huge Burmese (6-7 feet) that I babysit occasionally.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Snakes/Burmese-Python/

Super sweet snek. Got me into snakes, as a matter of fact.
>>
>>2030666
>>2030666
>>2030666
>>2030666
>>2030666
>>2030666
IS HABBENING
>>
>>2030661
I don't anymore, since my douche of an ex husband gave her away while I was at work, but I had a red tailed boa. Bought her as a teeny tiny baby snek. Had 6 years with her. At the time he gave her away she was just shy of 9'. And fat. Wasn't a gorger or anything, ate as she was supposed to. Just fat. I wish I could find a picture of her.
>>
>>2030672
I've never been gladder to see 'ex' in front of husband.
>>
>>2030667
What's happening? I id'd a bird. Are you the devil? Am I the devil? Is it because of my satanic trips?
>>
>>2030661
My largest is a 14 foot retic.
If you want something big and nice I highly recommend a male green anaconda. Just make sure you find a baby that is already nice or you risk it never taming down.

If you want something more reasonable I'd say a redtail boa or a yellow anaconda (again, get one that's already tame.)
>>
>>2030674
I was livid. It was one of the reasons I left him. I had her and a few cockatiels. He was worried about our newborn getting hurt by one of the animals, so logically, he gave them fucking all away. I had them before I ever met him. And the tiels were in their teens, hatched by my parents and never knowing another keeper other than me. If I could have gotten away with murder that night I would have.
>>
>>2030677
I would've murdered him and flee back to my home country, you don't fuck with my pets :')
>>
>>2030676
When looking for a snake that is already tame, how do I really know? Just handling before buying at a reptile con?
>>
>>2030637
Ah yes, a Pacman frog owner, good work, fellow member of the master race.

Beautiful frogs, I would like some more one day too, but they're hard to come by in my area
>>
>>2030677

Why do people think shit like this is ok? I take it you couldn't get them back?
>>
Guys I have to ask again: should I put feeder guppies in my clawed frog aquarium for her to eat?
>>
>>2030685
No. I searched for two years after they were gone. I looked for flippers on craigslist, posted everywhere I could think of. But no one is going to give back exotics they got for free. The only one I ever got back was my 16 year old tiel. He made it 3 more years with me before dying on my birthday this past year.
>>
>>2030682
Yeah, just handle it.
Most baby anaconda will bite the shit out of anyone instantly, but the few that don't are gems. My green is the most trustworthy snake I have.
>>
>>2030687
Not if you don't want to feed your frog junk food full of parasites.
>>
File: IMG_2740.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2740.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2030661
Right now, my largest is a 6.5' boa constrictor, but I've got a young retic.

>>2030665
6'-7' isn't huge, especially for a Burm. I wouldn't even consider that a big snake, 6'-7' is still tiny.

>>2030672
If it was fat, it probably was eating too much, snakes don't really have thyroid problems. Unfortunately the whole "feed boas weekly" thing is really widespread so you probably didn't know. An adult boa should be eating a large rat every 3-6 weeks. If they're big enough for jumbo rats, it's time for rabbits, because jumbo rats can also make a boa fat.

>>2030682
If you get a baby, be warned it's 100% normal for them to be nippy, they grow out of it. Don't worry about the snake being docile unless you're getting an adult. Even an adult can calm down with time, but I can understand not wanting to work with a 6'+ snake that loves to bite in the meantime.

My big boy. 6.5', and 4.5 years. He's a few ounces shy of 9 lbs. He gets a large rat or an x-small rabbit every 5 weeks, and he's currently being fasted for the winter.
>>
>>2030716
I'm leaning on boa right now. S/he is so beautiful! How long have you had him/her?
>>
File: Ababies.jpg (89 KB, 645x484) Image search: [Google]
Ababies.jpg
89 KB, 645x484
>>2030616
>>2030573

I would call yours a bicolor dalmation. The 'dalmation' trait is added even if only a few spots are present.
>>
File: image.jpg (967 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
967 KB, 2592x1936
Hey guys, mind rating my setups? It's for 2 male beardies (kept individually, used to live together but you know, 2 MALE beardies). The whole thing on both are homemade from pretty much scratch. Aside from the lights the entire setup for both tanks set me back around $80 Australian.
>>
File: image.jpg (1013 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1013 KB, 2592x1936
>>2030781

The broken light has been replaced since the picture. I've had em for 5 years and they have always seemed pretty happy. I let them out a lot to compensate for the kinda small tanks.
>>
>>2030781
>>2030783

At least you aren't using sand.
>>
>>2030781
>>2030783
Alright dude I don't even own bearded dragons but I think we can all agree that you're failing in many areas. For starters, I'm pretty sure a beardie of that size needs a lot more space than that. On top of that, he has literally no places to hide, all lizards and reptiles in general need lots of hiding places. Also importantly, you need to be providing both a heat lamp and a UVB lamp for bearded dragons, to my knowledge. You only have what appears to be a shitty heat lamp with a terrible basking area (ideally it should be flat and easy to rest on, not pointy and weird).

I mean not to be rude, but can you honestly look at that setup and think it looks suitable? It confounds me how people can mess up so badly when there's an abundance of care sheets on these species online.
>>
>>2030802
As in 1/10?

If so then what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>2030804, see >>2030803

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Bearded-Dragon/
http://www.exoticpetvet.com/breeds/Bearded%20Dragons.htm
>>
>>2030725
4.5 years. Unfortunately I started him out on a bit of a heavy schedule...he got huge for a 2 year old and was a pound overweight by the time someone pointed out he looked chubby. He was 5.5' and nearly 10 lbs, and now he's a foot longer and not even 9 lbs. Took me a year to get him to shed all that fat off, now he's a pure loaf of muscle. I was feeding him small meals, but I was feeding him weekly and it caused him to be a foot longer at 2 years than he should have been (2 year olds average 3'-4').
>>
>>2030806
The only thing that this mentions that I'm not doing is a mesh ceiling. I monitor temperature religiously, I feed properly and the substrate is one of the Aussie versions of reptamat. Honestly I don't get what you mean, other than the small one having a small tank, which is being replaced soon anyway.
>>
>>2030803
Yeah he does need a bigger tank, I am working on that. They have UV tubes not bulbs as the bulbs here in a use are generally kinda shit quality. The basking rock is flat, it does look spiky but it's quartz, from the angle the vines make it look pointy though.

But you are right about the hiding spots, they used to have a cave up until about 2 months ago when family members broke them accidentall. What would you say is a good replacement or what other things should go in the tank to rectify the situation?
>>
>>2030822
a hide can as simple as a cardboard box
>>
>>2030829
Alright, I've got some show boxes, large miniature boxes lying around so I'll get into that. Anything else I should put in for them? If there are changes I can make to improve their quality of life I'll spend as much as I need to, they are my favourite things I own. And I want them to live as well and as long as they can. But aside from decor/tank size I'm sure I'm doing everything right. I maintain temperature as well as possible (which can be difficult in Melbourne) and I feed them properly
>>
>>2030833
Yeah dude just do more space and hiding spots and you'll be good
>>
>>2030865
Alright thanks, Ive got some boxes in there with entrances cut for now until I can get a proper hide. And the new tanks should be coming in two weeks.
>>
File: 050115.jpg (217 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
050115.jpg
217 KB, 2048x1536
My beardie, Tiamat
>>
>>2030573
How do you deal with humidity in an enclosure like that? I just remembered that I have one of those old vertical octagon fish tanks in my basement that I could use to make a very nice crestie enclosure, but I'm worried about the humidity
>>
I am considering a Jungle jaguar Carpet python
How large do these get and what are some care tips?
>>
Does anyone here have gargoyle gecko? How are they? Are they as perfect as they sound on paper?
>>
>>2031100
no
>>
File: 2015-12-25 16.50.19.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-25 16.50.19.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2368
>>2030661
Red tailed boa. around 2.60m, nicest snake I know. always super chill. rescued her from waaay too small enclosures, not being fed enough and being treated badly.
She likes the couch :3
>>
>>2030637
I'm about to get my first pacman frog I was wondering what type of food should be his staple, as it stands now I can't really use crickets because of noise concerns. I was thinking of breading worms and possibly feeding it some different dead insects I found they have at the local pet store.
>>
>>2031140
I'd go for dubia roaches and meal worms if you can't do crickets. Crickets are kinda shitty anyway
>>
>>2031145
Ah cool, what would you suggest for heating? Some people say heating pads are dangerous but others say a lamp will dry the frog out. I was thinking of getting a low wattage (50 watts?) red bulb.
>>
>>2031148
For mine, I use a heat lamp and a small heating pad on the side. But then again, I have mine in a plastic tote, so moisture escaping isn't an issue. The frog will bury itself in the soil where it's moist, so that usually isn't a huge issue, unless your using a screen top and a really hot bulb. I also have a live plant that does an excellent job of retaining moisture.

If you do use a heat mat, place it on the side of the tank, not on the bottom. And use a thermostat.

And while we're at it, make sure that you feed your frog outside of its tank, at least until it's full grown. I see people do this all the time and it passes me off, they will almost always swallow substrate if you feed them in-tank. I take mine out and feed him in a plastic tupperware container.
>>
>>2031159
Interesting, do you know what wattage the bulb is that you use? The pacman I'm picking up is already medium sized and not a baby, wod it be OK to feed it in the enclosure at that size?
>>
File: garg.jpg (161 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
garg.jpg
161 KB, 1080x608
>>2031100

They're quite different than crested geckos as far as behaviour goes. Less likely to hide in the foliage but also less active. You will probably see your garg more often but it will mostly just be sitting there. A bit easier to hold than cresties, less likely to jump. Gargs will use hides, so make sure to have cork rounds and pvc pipes and so forth in any garg tank. They will also bask if you provide than a daytime basking spot.

One other thing, i'm not entirely sure how to explain; gargs can be weird. They sometimes have very peculiar mannerisms, even for lizards. It's hard to describe. You'll see...
>>
>>2031176
You got me worried here. I was reading about this undemanding cute little fella that's gonna chill on my hand when I watch news. How "weird" are they? Never read about this.
>>
>>2031160
I don't know offhand but I'd say either 25 or 50, leaning towards 50. And I suppose you could, but I personally wouldn't. Impaction can be a pretty big issue given they just ballistic launch at their prey and swallow whatever gets in their mouth.
>>
>>2031185

Weird as in climbing and even sleeping in strange positions, keeping inconsistent waking hours, stalking around their tank so slow it looks like they're pretending to be chameleons.

Do note that gargs aren't going to sit still when you hold them. They aren't froggy likes crested geckos but they will want to climb from hand to hand constantly.

If you're looking for a small lizard that will sit still on your hand for short periods of time (15 minutes), I suggest looking in to steppe runners. They are diurnal, have sort of monitor-like personalities, and about as easy to handle as bearded dragons.
>>
>>2031192

here's a good video on gargs. it shows what they're generally like to hold as tame adults. these geckos are being hoppy in their tank because of the camera and wouldn't usually be this active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3x3Iig2Vow
>>
>>2031192
>>2031195
Thanks again! Yup that's fine I don't mind them being curious as long as they aren't super jumpy or skittish.
>>
>>2031200

For sure. They will be a little zippy as hatchlings but calm down nicely with regular handling once they're getting towards adulthood. Their eccentricities make them pretty entertaining sometimes.
>>
>>2031083
Anyone with some info please, the snake i could get is a the baby of a jungle jag mated with a jungle carpet python
>>
>>2031236
shit man just google carpet python care sheets
>>
>>2031247
I did but it tells me nothing about the size for something like this
>>
>>2030779
He has pretty heavy tiger stripes too.
He's almost red and his stripes are burgandy when he's fired up and has shed recently. Otherwise, he's this dull orange color. It seems to show a bit more often after every time he sheds, so I hope he'll hold that color better when he's older.
>>
>>2030716
It was probably the rats then. She did move onto rabbits but I also fed her every 2-3 weeks. I feel bad now. My snake was fat.
>>
>>2031248
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Carpet-Python-Care-Sheet/
>once mature they range from 5 feet to 9 feet in length
kinda depends on the locality, but there you go
>>
Okay so I have a quasi on regarding my baby painted turtle's shell. I've noticed on the carapace that there are like these spots on it, the closest description I can get for them is that they look like the residue left behind if you let water drip on glass and thenjoy it evaporates. They're visible even when wet. What could this be? I'll take her to a vet if it's absolutely necessary (we were just there about a month and a half ago and got a clean bill of health), but I'm not in the best financial state and I prefer to do something about it myself if it is at all possible.
>>
File: Riri4.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Riri4.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>2031465
something like in the pic? if so, that's shell rot
>>
>>2031472
Kind of but smaller and less noticeable
>>
>>2031465
>>2031472
>>2031476
Alright I'm thinking that it's very early shell rot. I just ordered some Nolvasan online and it should be here in a few days. In the mean time I'm going to try doing some dry docking.

Pic related is my turt's aquarium. What could I be doing wrong to have caused shell rot? I clean the whole thing every two weeks, and I provide a good basking area and UVB. The only thing I thought it could be is that I forgot to buy filter pads last time I cleaned it, so I rinsed and used the same one. It was pretty gunky when I replaced it yesterday. Could the backup from that have caused the shell rot? There's a fresh one in there now
>>
File: 20160105_234415.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160105_234415.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>2031612
Shit forgot pic
>>
>>2031077
Crested geckos like a good bit of humidity. Mine naturally hovers around 50 and spikes to 75 when I mist it. It's perfect for him.
I use a mixture of coco fiber and soil. Substrate is a big deal for humidity.
I did replace all the glass on the lid with screening. I also blocked all the holes and superglued rubber bands to the door so it would never be open on its own.

If it's too humid, get a whole screen lid.

They make great enclosures, they just need fine tuning. It took me 2 months to get mine perfect.
>>
my ball python HATES being sprayed by the mister
is that weird? I would think a snake that needs humidity like this wouldn't mind being wet
>>
File: IMG_2820.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2820.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2031326
I wouldn't feel too bad, misinformation is extremely widespread, and the majority of people think adult boas should be eating jumbo rats weekly when that's a recipe for obesity and fatty liver disease. Finding good information is extremely difficult, and the majority of the reptile community still isn't open to changing husbandry. At least now you'll have better information if you plan on getting another boa.

Here's my other boa constrictor, she's just a baby right now but she's growing fast. She grew 4" and put on 20-40 grams in the first 2 months I had her, and she's probably grown another inch and put on almost 20 more grams since then. I've got her weight, but I haven't measured her recently. She came to me at 20" and 80 grams at the end of July, and is now 24"-26" and 136 grams.

Her growth was so rapid and she was starting to lose muscle definition and get chubby, so I had to cut her down from a 7-10 day schedule to 10-14 days. She's steadily putting on the grams and growing noticeably every month, I just haven't gotten around to physically measuring her length in awhile.
>>
>>2031651
Nope, it's a perfectly reasonable reaction, the water is cold and doesn't feel nice as it hits their skin.

Misters provide wetness, not humidity. If you want humidity, you either need to run a humidifier to bring up the overall humidity of the entire room, or make your bedding the source of humidity.

All a mister does is throw water into the air, it doesn't stay suspended so it's not humidity, it all settles around on stuff. Actual humidity requires evaporation, hence why I said make your bedding provide humidity.
>>
>>2031654
yeah you're right, I've just finished with a rather lengthy mite treatment, and I haven't gone back to eco earth yet.
I have to mist really often to keep the humidity up
>>
>>2031655
I would just avoid spraying the snake directly until you can switch to your regular bedding, snakes generally don't appreciate being sprayed at. If nothing else, increase the distance of the sprayer so that the water sprays gently on the snake.
>>
>>2031665
I dont do it on purpose, but sometime she sticks her head to see what up and gets a little wet in the process
>>
whats the best way to treat infection sin amphibians, /an/?
Toad has an open wound on its leg, not sure where it came from. it seems to be healing alright,but I wanna be ready in case it gets bad.
>>
File: 1448906057882.jpg (28 KB, 482x670) Image search: [Google]
1448906057882.jpg
28 KB, 482x670
You guys got any links about the Leaf-Tailed Gecko? I gotta make a project about where they live/what they eat/morphology/importance. Inb4 fuck off faggot.
>>
>>2031742
uroplatus or saltuarius
>>
>>2031747
Ah, uroplatus fimbriatus , sorry.
>>
File: 20160106_082758.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160106_082758.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
New terrarium for muh Pueblan Milksnake. R8 it mates.
>>
I recently got a bearded dragon from someone who did not want it, he is an adult at about 3 years old.
He will not eat vegetables or fruit I give him nor will he eat from my hand.
How can i get him at least eating veggies?
All he wants to eat are mealworms
>>
>>2031886
No animal will starve itself when food is available.
Dont cave to it being spoiled and it will break.
>>
>>2031892
Alright thanks
What about hand feeding? Do i just have to be patient?
>>
>>2031893
Hand feeding is something you need to wait a while for. He doesnt trust you or the new food yet so trying to make him do both is too much. Once he's accepting the food for a while, then you can hand feed him.
>>
>>2031810
Wow, that's a pretty viv. What substrate are you using?
>>
File: Gon.jpg (62 KB, 391x611) Image search: [Google]
Gon.jpg
62 KB, 391x611
>>2031810
>dat skull

Does anyone know any snake identification guide lying around on the interwebz? I'm talking SEA/Aus region here.
Might got a young Cobra or Eastern Brown.
>>
File: skull.jpg (38 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
skull.jpg
38 KB, 612x612
>>2031921
gila monster skull
>>
>>2031810
Which side is hot and cold? Seems to not be much differentiation between them.. Only a few inches. Also, sand? I would say more hides, aspen because snakes love to burrow in it. Keep the stick and get multiple smaller hides than 1 large one (unless the snake is big, but the small tank feels like otherwise
>>
I have to ask; how do I feed my crestie crickets? I can't put them in his enclosure because he spends all his time up high. Do I put him in a separate container for feeding crickets?
>>
>>2031913
Crushed English walnuts.
>>2031930
The side with the skull is the hot side.
>>
>>2032008
Just grab them with a tweezer in front of him. You shouldn't feed crickets frequently either way.
>>
>>2032036
I think that defeats the purpose of feeding a crestie insects. The appeal is mostly to watch it indulge in its predatory instincts.
>>
>>2032044

True, but have fun getting those crickets out if gecko doesn't want to eat them. -_-
>>
>>2032047
Oh, I'm not him. I'm just pointing it out.

>>2032008
Yeah, get a seperate enclosure to feed them to him in
>>
>>2032008
pangea just released new crestie food that has insects in it.
>>
File: withInsects.jpg (4 MB, 2400x3300) Image search: [Google]
withInsects.jpg
4 MB, 2400x3300
>>2032057
here, look at this shit.

I just ordered it.
>>
>>2032060
You're missing the point.
>>
File: seamore hoodie 2.png (950 KB, 824x575) Image search: [Google]
seamore hoodie 2.png
950 KB, 824x575
Can someone help me out with fat tailed geckos? I had this guy when I was 9 but I'm pretty sure I'm doing many things wrong.
His name is Seamore (I know I spell it like a retard but I was 9 when I named him). The only information I've had regarding gecko care is what the shop assistant told me and the little research I did right after buying him.

The day I bought him I was told that the best substrate to use in his terrarium would be sand, which I recently learned was wrong and that I should use wood chippings/bark instead. After finding this out I figure I should try and do some learning and try improving his quality of life.

Some problems he's had is he's lost many of his claws. I'm not sure why this has happened but I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong so he can keep the few he has left. He also has shit vision. He can only see his prey if its moving. Is his vision supposed to be movement based or is he blind? I'd also like to be able to handfeed him, but I'm not entirely sure if that's possible.
I'm also not sure on how often I should be feeding him, how often I should clean out his tank, and what temperature I should keep it at (should I be changing it during the night?)

If anyone knows some good online resources for this kind of gecko care I'd appreciate it. I find lots of conflicting information on different websites but I figure you guys know what you're doing.
Oh, and how old do they live? The guy in the shop told me he'd live for around 15 years, but I've read in other places that they can live for as long as 40. What gives?
Thanks in advance and sorry for being retarded
>>
>>2032086
also, he'll be 10 years old soon if that matters
>>
>>2032088
He could just be getting old. Body functions fail. 2/3 of my dogs are dead after age 8. Don't take average age as a factory warranty on the animal. Shit happens.
>>
>>2032124
I meant deaf..... Not dead... Sorry anon. Autocorrect is a great meme. But yeah, I doubt you could notice deafness in some reptiles. Some faculties just fail sadly.
>>
Gotta replace my balls substrate, and I'm thinking about doing cypress mulch this time instead of eco earth
where do you guys get yours at?
>>
>>2032086

Just missing the claws or missing the end of the toe? If it's part of the actual toe, most likely your gecko had a series of bad sheds, some was left on, dried out, constricted, toe end falls off. In order to prevent this, put a moist hide in the tank (tupperware container with a hole cut in and moist moss or paper towel inside. AFT's need 50%-70% humidity so you should be misting once every day or every second day.

Temperatures: 90 on hot side, 75-80 on cool side. It doesn't need to change at night.

Feed every second day.

this is a decent care sheet
http://allgeckos.com/african-fat-tailed-gecko-care-sheet/
>>
what fish can be kept with pipa toads?
>>
>>2030816
He's being an autistic nerd

welcome to /an/
>>
>>2032180
None, the pipa pipa will make them disappear overnight.
>>
File: Tupinambis-merianae-BA-Zoo.jpg (2 MB, 3706x2792) Image search: [Google]
Tupinambis-merianae-BA-Zoo.jpg
2 MB, 3706x2792
>tfw no cute tegu
It hurts bros
>>
File: Peeping and Beeping.jpg (321 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
Peeping and Beeping.jpg
321 KB, 1280x1707
Thanks for your help, reptibros! She's much more inquisitive and stopped hissing at me.
>>
File: Bronze in venom olympics.jpg (88 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
Bronze in venom olympics.jpg
88 KB, 500x297
This is me
>>2031921

So, It's a Coastal Taipan (pretty sure after feeding it gecko). What should I do with it?
>>
>>2032409
>that forked tongue
Too cute
>>
>>2032529
Taipans have some pretty scary venom....multiple neurotoxins I would avoid contact with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2030512
Weekly feeding post of muh Kang Snek. This week: 1 small fuzzy. Week 2 on fuzzies and he loves it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>2032628
And he's done. Time for a post dinner hunt for extra food (there isn't any), and he's gonna go hide and digest like a good snek
>>
File: IMG_20160107_121209484.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160107_121209484.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
>>2030512
I saw this alligator at the park. He looked like a fake alligator, if that makes sense. I could see him breathing though and he looked at me. It was a nice meeting.
>>
Is it okay to feed a younger ball python more frequently? 3-5 days?

He's a few months old
>>
>>2032655
No. 7-10 I believe is a general basis for all young snakes. When it gets older it can be even further because they aren't growing so rapidly.
>>
>>2032658
Okay, I've heard varying information, bhb reptiles feeds every 5-7 and I've heard of feeding smaller meals more often can be done as well, just curious what is better
>>
>>2032659
I feed my king ever 7 days. You can feed a snake as much as you want or in one meal doing a lot of food (see power feeding). What you risk is: obesity, shorting of lifespan, and general animal cruelty. Balls are notorious for going on and off food for no reason, you might not worry about obesity. Maybe other people can chime in on that. I can say that my king eats whenever food is Infront of him, he literally ate one time and then shed his skin immediately after. Kings have a great reputation for scarfing down food, balls reputation for occasionally going on and off food might give you room to feed him more frequently if he will go off for a month.

That being said. Power feeding is bad. It is evil. Breeders and online reptile sellers have a stake in getting animals to breeding size quickly. I have heard of breeders power feeding, and it's not good for snakes.

Maybe other people will chime in.
>>
>>2032655
Every 3-5 days would be considered power-feeding. Ball pythons grow fast enough without pumping them full of food multiple times a day.

It takes a baby snake at least 7 days to fully digest their meal (longer for some species like boa constrictor and blood python), which is why I don't really like feeding them more often than 7 days.

As adults, most rodent-eating snakes can be fed every 2+ weeks.
>>
>>2032658
>>2032661
>>2032662
Not him, but how do differentiate between normal and obese snake? Do you feel their muscle? Watch their movements?
>>
>>2032630
Man, aspen bedding looks so soft and comfy.
>>
>>2032666
Normal snakes look like an upside down U. A fat snake looks like an O. And a skinny snake looks like a triangle. As look as you can see some level of spine definition and feel it, I'd say it's not overweight. Also look for a noticeable "neck" on the snake where it is a little skinnier going towards the head. Google obese snakes, they also have bulging at the scales their bellies and it's very noticeable. It's obvious.
>>2032667
My king loves it. He doesn't spend any time above it. He just makes little tunnels and burrows all in his aspen. I made it about 3-4 inches deep just so he could play in it, and lined the bottom of the tank with brown paper grocery bags so that he doesn't even come in direct contact with hot areas. Also the aspen does a good job to absorb heat so it's never too hot on the hot side.
>>
Anyone got any recommended brands of cypress mulch that think is better than the others?
I want to pick up a bag next time I go to get some more rats
>>
>>2032666
Depends on the species.

In ball pythons, you should still see muscle definition. If they're all flab and look pretty much perfectly round, they're overweight. In obese ball pythons, they'll have "hips," where the tail tapers really fast and it looks like the snake is holding onto a really huge poop.

A ball python should also have a really obvious neck, the neck should be a lot skinnier than the head. If the neck appears to be almost as big around as the head, it's overweight. And if it isn't overweight, then it most likely was powerfed as a baby. Power-feeding and over-feeding can cause "pinhead," because the snake's head can't keep up with the rest of the body.

Another thing to look for is scale separation in snakes that don't usually have scale separation. If there's scale separation when at rest, it's time for a diet. Don't look at bends in the snake, it's normal for there to be scale separation at the outside of a sharp bend.
>>
>>2032705
also I got a 50 gallon tank so I have no idea how many quarts I need to fill in like 2-3 inches
>>
>>2032712
I don't know what cypress mulch is vs EcoEarth, but I'd need roughly 10-14 qts of EcoEarth to fill a 50 gallon tank at ~2", if I had to guess. I have a couple of T12's that have roughly the same floor space as a 50 gallon, and I'd probably need two blocks each to fill them.

If you can, I'd just buy the biggest bag you can of cypress mulch and use what you need. If nothing else, you'll have enough for several bedding changes.
>>
Alright guys. One big reason to not buy cypress mulch is that they actually take down cypress trees to create them. This is detrimental to the wetlands and environment of the gulf coast. My family owned a Garden Center and outright refused to sell it because of the impact on our wetlands (we live in new orleans). Please do not buy cypress mulch. For gardening use pine needle, and for vivariums find an alternative (there are tons.)
>>
I just rebuilt my iguanas enclosure and realized that the uvb lamps are about twice the recomendded distance than they should be and I dont have any particular method of fixing it for the moment atleast.
5.0 bubls are recommended for iguanas but could a 10.0 make up for the difference or do I need to figure out how to rig something?
>>
Will a 4x2x2 Viv be enough for a 2 meter max snake?
>>
>>2032673
>>2032709
>>2032673
>>2032709
Thanks, guys. Great explanations.
Is there a pastebin/book that have all these info about snakes/reptiles in general that /an/ compiled or recommended?
>>
>>2032819

That's the minimum you should use for a snake that size, but yes. General guideline is a minimum of snake total length = tank width + length.
>>
>>2032821
nope not really.
>>
what's the biggest reptile I can own
I'm talking like fucking komodo dragon level but not kill my ass type shit
>>
>>2032841
>Komodo dragon
>not kill my ass
Ok family. You sound like your goals are realistic. Get a lizard from your garden and that's it, you don't sound mature enough to keep a slice of cheese cold.
>>
>>2032845
You're retarded and lack reading comprehension.
>>
>>2032849
So you want a big reptile. You want something big like the komodo, but maybe not going to kill you. Do you fucking realize how much a komodo dragon weighs? Great find something non-toxic to humans from a bite, and even then a lizard that weighs as much as you do is a big fucking problem to handle.
>>
My little corn Io just had his first shed since I bought him and it seemed to have gone perfectly, no skin stuck to him besides a very small piece on the tip of the tail which came off easily. Feels bretty good, his colors look so pure and he's got the scales back that he lost in his last shed before I got him. Thing is it caught me off guard because I just looked in the viv today and the skin was there. Didn't see any signs he was coming up to a shed, no misty eyes, colors didn't dim much, no signs that he was agitated during handling the day before. This normal for some corns or could something have caused it?
>>
>>2032841
What's the maximum length of teeth can you tolerate to dig into your skin? Also what this guy said >>2032851.

http://www.pet-lizard.com/large-lizards.html
>>
>>2032857
sounds totally fine, sheds happen when expected and unexpected. As stated earlier, I've had my king go straight from swallowing a mouse into peeling back his skin. Ive also had my king shed twice in a month. Its their response to whatever is going on food wise, wellbeing, stress, etc.
>>
bumping for snek
>>
>>2032841
The only large reptile you can own that isn't dangerous is an aldabra. I hope you have a lot of money and a fuckhuge yard in a warm climate or you're out of luck.
>>
File: 1451196741970.jpg (154 KB, 351x390) Image search: [Google]
1451196741970.jpg
154 KB, 351x390
>>2032863
>http://www.pet-lizard.com/large-lizards.html
What a shitty guide
>picture of a savannah isn't even a savannah
>Calls iguanas docile giants when they are one of the most dangerous large lizards because of their fucking awful breeding season
>first two things on the iguana diet are fucking lettuce and grains
>>
>>2032959
did you see the ackie section?
>There is actually no difference between the reds and the yellows except the price
>>
>>2032821
as long as this general has been here, you'd think we would have something but no
and thats probably because no one can come to a unanimous decision on most aspects of reptile care.
>>
Are snakes normally defensive when shedding? My retic already shed half.

>>2032959
>>2032976
Hah! Nice.

>>2033049
Not even an infographic?
>>
>>2033106
Yes. And what do you mean by "shed half?"
>>
>>2033129
Shed up to half his(?) length. Should it come of in one go? I guess it's not humid enough.
>>
>>2033135
Yeah, it should. I'd bump it by a bit, you may have to change aspects of your enclosure to do so. My retic's never shed anything but whole sheds, their skins are just a bit more delicate than other snake's so they're a little easier to damage. Gentle care and humidity is what they need.

It may still come off ratty, but as long as there's no stuck sheds it's good. Retics are rowdy snakes, they tend to tear up their sheds crawling over them.

For now, just soak the retic so the rest of the shed comes off. Once your humidity is where it needs to be, you don't need to bathe it anymore, bathing is for snake's whose sheds have already failed.
>>
>>2033141
Ah, will do. Thanks.
>>
Leopard geckos are so cute and easy to care for. But sadly you can't handle them all too often. I'd like to get one someday but I'm afraid of getting bored of them. Like after a month of taking care of a betta, I got bored of him. All I could do to interact with him was feed him. Don't get me wrong, I spent upwards of $200+ on his tank and I provided utmost care and regular water changes since it was a 5.5 gal tank. But because I was at work so much, and because you can't fucking play with a fish, I got so fucking bored. Ended up giving the betta and all his gear free to someone and her child. God knows how he's doing now.

Is there any way to find local Leo owners so I could maybe carefully play with or observe their geckos without actually owning one yet? Gosh they're so cute but I'm not in the mood to waste hundreds of dollars, give up the animal if I get bored, or accidentally hurt/neglect it.
>>
>>2033188
>$200+ on his tank
>5.5 gal
lol?
>>
>>2033198
Shit's expensive here. Petsmarts, petcos, and LFS's

Plus I wanted to provide good care. Last time I had a betta it was in a 2 or less gallon tank and I didn't give a shit about her after some time. Wanted to redo it better you know?

Only there's so much you can do with a fish
>>
>>2033106
It's impossible to get a consensus on a whole specie of animals that simultaneously follow a rough outline of care but need down to the T specifics of husbandry or risking hurting the animal.

Basically though:
Young snakes: feed every 7-10 days
There are charts concerning weight and food you feed them. I think it's called my munsons or something.

DESU. If you go to a local family not big chain store, they usually don't mind you calling every now and again to ask questions. I live in a fairly big city (New Orleans) and the one vet who is trained in exotic pets is actually leaving this year so. I'd say beyond maybe diagnosis, but treatment is definitely something the herp community and forums works together on. It's all you might have at your disposal.
>>
>>2033210
>Shit's expensive here.
no you just got ripped off.
>>
>>2032851
>So you want a big reptile. You want something big like the komodo, but maybe not going to kill you
A tortoise.
>>
>>2033210
I can go to the pet store right now and buy a tank with 2x the capacity of the one you bought for 15 dollars

You got fucking had
>>
>>2033254
Herp general faq would probably amount to something like,

New herp care;
>don't fucking mess with it for at least one week

Tank setup;
>use a fucking thermostat
>sand a shit

What's a qt cuddly reptile that can be my bestest pal and snuggle buddy?
>don't get a fucking reptile

How do i take care of...?
>google fucking caresheets

The end.
>>
>>2033188
do you have any local pet stores that specialize in reptiles?
They'd probably let you handle one
>>
>>2033336
also goddamn we should add info about using fauna classifieds and kingsnake
how/where do i order one online is a pretty common question
>>
File: image.jpg (205 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205 KB, 640x1136
Thread needs more snek pics
Also if I were to theoretically get another snek, what species should I get? Presumably as an adult too
>>
File: re-0022_royal_python_close_up.jpg (82 KB, 670x476) Image search: [Google]
re-0022_royal_python_close_up.jpg
82 KB, 670x476
>>2032667
>>2032673
Shame you can't use aspen with BPs
>>
>>2033492
Of course you can, there's absolutely nothing wrong with aspen bedding
>>
noob question incoming
I've heard I can do a full tank clean with vinegar instead of bleach
What kind of mixture do I want?
And I assume its the same way right? Apply, let it sit, wipe it off, wipe down with clean water?
>>
>>2033591
Depends on the set up, some set ups don't do well with aspen if you're also wanting to keep humidity high enough.
>>
>>2033606
Like glass aquarium cages
>>
So my bp shed for me for the first time and it all came off in one night but it came off in a lot of pieces as oppose to one solid piece, is that a problem?
>>
File: DSCF1883.jpg (548 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1883.jpg
548 KB, 1600x1200
>>2033492
BOOP!
>>
Post feed muh kingsnake is a happy dude motoring around his Viv. He ate a fuzzy and 1 day later digested and is ready to cruise his tank. I guesstimate he's grown an inch of two in the last week.
>>
>>2033605

Yes, but keep in mind that will not sterilize the tank completely. I would say scrub down the whole thing with soapy water, rinse, then do 50/50 water/vinegar solution, thoroughly rinse, dry.
>>
>>2033622

yes your humidity was probably a little too low. you can always put a moist hide in the tank if you're having difficulty keeping the whole ambient humidity of the tank high enough. BP's definitely will use them if provided.
>>
>>2033614
Why do people have a hard time keeping humidity in glass aquariums?

I have a 75 gallon and it's piss easy to do. Half glass on top, moss, and more surface area with your water bowls.

It's pretty simple.
>>
>>2033677
where do you get glass for the top?
Also I have to run a CHE to keep it warm enough since its winter
so that sure isn't helping the humidity any
>>
>>2033687
I don't remember where I got it but my 75 gallon has a frame piece in the center that lets you put two glass panels on either side that open. I just leave one off and put a mesh top over that.

It's possible that I don't even need to do that though if I used substrate that held moisture better but in a large tank it's just easier to spot clean aspen.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/marineland-perfecto-glass-canopy-48in-18in
>>
>>2033614
Exactly like glass aquariums/terrariums. I'm only able to maintain good humidity for my garters because 1) they can shed perfectly a-ok with humidity under 20% and 2) my home is at a constant 50-60% and 40-50% during the winter. I'd still never trust my tropicals/sub-tropicals in one, I don't care how well-modded it is. Tubs are cheap, and PVC/custom looks 1,000x better than a gross glass tank.

>>2033677
Probably because most people have too low of humidity in their homes to properly accommodate a glass tank. Also because most people using glass tanks are newbies, and newbies usually know almost nothing about what it takes to maintain humidity.

Also, 99.99% of people do not make a single modification to their tanks like you have, and insist on using low-humidity bedding like paper towels, newspaper, or aspen.
>>
>>2033687

It doesn't need to be glass. Aluminum foil duct taped down works just as well. Or you could get an arylic sheet from hardware store, they will cut it to size for you for free.
>>
>>2033677
>>2033687
I had a hard time keeping the humidity up in my 40gal glass tank up for a while. It was due to using a MVB and CHE at the same time. The MVB was providing enough heat, so I switched to MVB during the day and CHE at night.
Substrate is coconut fibre, sphagnum moss, and wood chips. Plus some leaves and live plants and a plastic lid tonight
>>
>>2033693
I've got the opposite problem
The cage I got stuck with has a mesh top and the humidity in the house will bring it down to 40%. The only solution I've got on hand is the wet towel on top trick, cypress mulch, and the occasional misting
>>
File: IMG_0998.jpg (401 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0998.jpg
401 KB, 2448x3264
>>2033700
Never heard of MVB before, what exactly is that?

>>2033701
The garter tanks are about 11-16% humidity during the day when the heat lamp is on (during the winter), and around 40-50% during the night. During the summer, they're 25-30% when the heat lamp is on and 50-60%+ during the night when the lamp is off.

But since I have garters in the tanks, I don't really do anything for the humidity. Both garters have silky soft skin (aside from the bumpy keels on their scales; it's soft but bumpy if that makes sense?), and the non-albino eastern garter has a subtle iridescent sheen.

This is the best photo I have to show that iridescence, winter has kicked in so no outdoor pics and the sunlight isn't always bright. This is when he arrived, but he still retains the same amount of iridescence.
>>
>>2033705
MVB = Mercury Vapor Bulb. They produce heat, uva and uvb from the one bulb.
>>
>>2033708
Ah. Googling it did not bring any results like that at all, but now I know what they are.
>>
File: e1DIeY2h.jpg (71 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
e1DIeY2h.jpg
71 KB, 576x1024
There's a snake in my boot!
>>
>>2033693
I admit I didn't think about that before posting.

I live in NC which is a fairly humid place to live.

Even now in the winter it's about 40% so boosting that up isn't a difficult thing to do.
>>
>Wake up in really hot room and run over to check crested gecko terrarium
>Heater thermometer malfunctioned, terrarium thermometer reading at 87 degrees
>Spray down terrarium to lose some heat to evaporation and open windows to let in cold air to get to correct temperature
Christ, this morning was scary. I don't know how he survived. Do you think my gecko will have any lasting damage from thos event?
>>
>>2033677
tfw constantly 80% humidity here my jag carpet loves it
>>
Bumping for snek!
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2033930
Here's muh King snek being based today
>>
File: 2016-01-09 15.43.01.jpg (275 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-09 15.43.01.jpg
275 KB, 2560x1920
>>2033932
Snek
My corn Mayu
>>
gonna go to a reptile show later
Really want to get a new turtle friend
What kind should I get ?
>>
>>2033949
a snake
>>
>>2033949
none, as you don't seem to prepared for a turtle right now if you don't even know what kind you want.
>>
>>2033854
Gecko will be fine. 80 degrees is their stress temperature, not their fatal temperature. No ill effects should be suffered from a few hours at 87.
>>
>>2033949
Turtles and tortoises are a lot of work and something you absolutely need to have tank fully set up and research done before buying.
>>
>>2033962
>>2033989
>implying I don't have turtles and their proper setups

I have aquatic turtles
Two are ~ 5 yo
Two are ~15yo
Housed separately
>>
>>2034000
you sound like a pussy.
>>
>>2033854
One time I accidentally left the day and night time lamp on in my bp enclosure and came back to the tank being over 120 degrees(the max thermometer temperature) and 10 percent humidity. I pulled him out so fast and ended up spraying him with my mister for a solid minute and a half. Probably one of the scariest moments of my life.
>>
>>2033701
Speaking of which, what humidity level do most people keep their BPs at? Most online sources say around 50%
>>
>>2034143
50-60 yeah
higher than that for extended periods you risk respiratory infections
and lower isnt good for sheds or hydration

If you can't get it just right, I'd err on the side of too low because you can always put it a humid hide.
>>
>>2034000

lol fair enough. what species do you have? looking to get something different?
>>
I bought a vine from the pet store today to put in my ball's tank for some extra coverage and some color
Should I wash it all to remove the plastic smell or something?
Does that bother them at all?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1452391427007.jpg (42 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452391427007.jpg
42 KB, 540x540
My Ranger Danger
>>
>>2034314
IS THAT FUCKING SAND?
>>
>>2034274
Something similar to RES ?
>>
File: image.jpg (656 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
656 KB, 2448x2448
Posting snek.
>>
>>2034280

Always a good idea to give new decor a rinse off before putting in tank.
>>
File: 1426083771497.jpg (344 KB, 1024x1820) Image search: [Google]
1426083771497.jpg
344 KB, 1024x1820
Snek master race reporting in.
>>
>>2034143
60-70% myself, been keeping him this way for 3.5-4 years and no RI's. It's not the humidity itself that causes RI, it's wetness. Too low of humidity is more likely to cause an RI than too high of humidity (granted they're not also living in a swamp).

No condensation, no wet bedding, etc. and you can keep just about any species at much higher humidity than recommended. I would imagine desert species would not be able to be kept too much higher, but even they have access to areas with decent humidity in the wild.
>>
File: 2AZ3ptM.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
2AZ3ptM.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Check them new digs
>>
>>2032008
Bro, just through those in there with him, he will find them. Its good exercise.
>>
How can I get my humidity up in my BP's enclosure? She doesn't care for moist hides.

I'm using a layer of aspen on top of a layer of fir, since she LOVES to dig.

I was thinking sphagnum moss.

I also have three bricks of dried up EcoEarth left.
>>
>>2034533
I'd try the EcoEarth first, then maybe layer some sphagnum moss on top of it if that's not enough. If changing bedding doesn't work by itself, you may also have to limit air flow. Putting a large dish in there might work, too. As the water evaporates out of the bowl it will add humidity to the air, but it won't do much by itself so don't expect to just put a bigger water dish and be done with it. It adds humidity to an already well-established level of humidity, but won't do much if the enclosure is an arid desert beyond drying up in a few hours with no humidity benefits.
>>
>>2034535
It's winter up here so the entire house is just dry. I do, however, have a humidifier going in the room the BP is housed in. Limiting air flow is not much of an issue; she's in a rack, not a tank.

I have leopard geckos and I keep them in paper towels. BPs are not burrowing species so perhaps simpler is better and I should just do paper towels for the whole enclosure, moist towels in her moist hide.

This is my first BP so I'm a bit out of my depth here.
>>
>>2034539
If you're using a rack, it's pretty much guaranteed you're using belly heat. Which means you may not have all that much luck using EcoEarth, it tends to mold in belly heat set ups. Sphagnum moss not as much, but it still will mold fairly easily.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do in your set up, that you're not already doing.

Racks, due to their nature, do not allow for much wiggle room in husbandry, they pretty much completely rely on the room's environment. If the room's temp or humidity is off, then you'll have problems.

I don't have any other advice for you as I mainly use stand-alone tubs and vivariums, I don't use racks and don't plan to, so other than what's being said I can't help you. Maybe another anon that's familiar with racks will know, otherwise you may just have to wait out the dry months as is.
>>
I'm a little anxious. Haven't seen my female gecko out and about in 2 days. 3 days ago, she didn't look so hot, was kind of gaunt and sluggish. We had an unexpected cold snap, and temps dipped really badly overnight in the tank (snake enclosure was fine, but gecko tank def got too cold). I know these guys are delicate, so I'm fearing the worst. I'm not going to tear apart the enclosure looking for her, so hopefully she'll just show herself at some point if she's alright.
>>
How do you guys propose i use my non adherent t rex heating mat?
I got it super cheap but now i'm at a loss on how to use it, I can't just put it inside the enclosure.
It has a thermal regulator
>>
File: 20160110_105018.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160110_105018.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>2034460
Where did you get that log from? Here's my guy Big Lu.
>>
File: 20151230_170525.jpg (1 MB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
20151230_170525.jpg
1 MB, 2322x4128
>>2034645
Another pic of him.
>>
>>2034634
Use aluminum tape to stick it on. Do not use electrical tape as the adhesive fails on that stuff when heated for any length of time.
>>
>>2034645

>guy
>big

4U
>>
File: 20160110_102028.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160110_102028.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Thinking about selling my setup with 2 beardies on craigslist. Yall think $300 is good?
Ive had them for maybe 3 yrs. The beardies are about adult size, a male citrus and a female idk what but she was about $200. They used to breed and give eggs pretty often but it hasn't happened lately.
>>
>>2034727
>sand
>tiny cage

fuck you.
>>
>>2034727
you're keeping 2 beardies in that?

also, I doubt anyone would shell out 300 bucks for that
>>
>>2034732
I was expecting the sand meme but I thought the cage size is decent. The beardies are in the bottom left for perspective. It's 17in tall 36in long and 18in deep.
>>
File: asdasd.jpg (75 KB, 600x472) Image search: [Google]
asdasd.jpg
75 KB, 600x472
Where do y'all get big tanks from? I just got a baby pixie today and I wanna go ahead and get him a big setup in case he turns out to be a male. I have a 20 gal long but I don't think he'll fit in it when he's an adult.
>>
>>2034737
>sand meme
Look at this delusional faggot.
>>
File: 20160110_104424.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160110_104424.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
>>2034739
I always found that no-name\unknown pet stores have good prices on glass tanks but you'd have to physically go and check.

Heres a top view of the beardies cage
>>
>>2034737

Sand is very risky and can cause impaction. It's like putting a frog on pond pebbles.
>>
>>2034737
Considering the size of an adult bearded dragon that does seem quite small. I'd personally would get a tank that is at least 50% bigger.
>>
>>2034743
Based on just the tail, that tank is small for one bearded dragon, let alone two of them.
>>
>>2034743

My LPS has some of those reptile/amphibian starter kits from ZooMed filled with shit I don't need and for the price they're asking I could get a Exoterra long and low 30x18x12 if I shopped online.

Other than that they have a bunch of fish tanks with a bunch of vertical space I don't need.

I could always bum it with a big plastic bin but it's hardly a display option.
>>
>>2034747

*36 long x 18 deep x 12 high
>>
>>2034745
>>2034746
Good to know actually. If I end up keeping them I'll consider rehousing but I'm trying to let them go.

>>2034744
I feed them dubias and crickets in a plastic tub to avoid that. Though I honestly think the risk of impaction decreases significantly with adults. They use their tongue to grab prey as opposed to striking and thrashing around. I also notice that the female likes to dig and burrow. Especially when it's breeding season, so there are benefits aside from the aesthetics.
>>
>>2034747
Should have clarified that the deals I found were when they're selling unknown brands too. But you get what you pay for and quality might not be best.

Also a tub might not be a bad idea until a reptile show comes by in your area
>>
>>2034758
Sand also wears down ligaments and causes arthritis. It can get into the eyes of your beardie and cause an infection. Reptiles are known for licking things, so en entire tank of loose substrate is a deathtrap.
>>
>>2034739
Petco is having its $1 per gallon sale until the 27th this month.

If you live in the U.S, that is.
>>
>>2034552
I ended up doing a moist hide (tupperware with a sanded hole up top + sphagnum moss) and switching to paper towels. Humidity is holding steady at 45-50%, 60%+ inside the moist hide.

So I guess that's solved.
>>
>>2034645
actually its a huge heavy plastic branch/rock thing I got from Petsmart like 14 years ago for a leopard gecko I had

It great though isn't it? She loves climbing on it.
Eventually though shes going to need bigger hides and then I'll have to take it out.

on a side note, I haven't seen her this active in a long time. She's flicking her tongue over every square inch of this new substrate
>>
Has anyone experience with keeping Sceloporus Malachiticus?
Can I assume that their care is a mix between Bearded Dragons (active during day, need UV, 40°C Hot spot) and Leos (small, don't eat veggies)?
Is there anything I should especially look out for?
Really tempted to get one, but I want to hear some stories first before digging deeper through caresheets etc.
>>
>>2034739
What you should actually do is throw that frog in the trash and buy a Pacman master race frog instead
>>
File: Ass 019.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Ass 019.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2034818

>Stealing my shitposts

I already own two Pacmen senpai.
>>
The Pixie Pac Fight Continues
>>
File: DSCF5432.jpg (84 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5432.jpg
84 KB, 600x800
Dude who is getting MBK here.

Will use this as substrate.
Not as ugly as Aspen, can be bought in bulk and is safe and healthy.

Everyone is happy now :)
>>
>>2034871

I shitposted some banter that made absolutely no sense and was knee deep in satire about pixies being better.

No in is serious about it. No one cares. I have both and you should too. They're cool for different reasons.
>>
>>2034889

I'm getting me a snake.
MBK i think but now i'm leaning towards ball pythons.

I have plenty of time to decide though :)
>>
I just got this for 20 dollars from a friend. He had a small frog for 12 years but it croaked a while back.
It's a 10 gallon. What can I keep in it?
My 50 gallon is behind it. It only has a crested gecko in it though. I'll get more if mines a female.
>>
I bought a used 18 x 18 x 24 exo terra (pic related), it's in great condition, but I can't decide what to put in it. I have experience with a variety of reptiles and amphibians. I plan on getting a huge ass exo (36 x 18 x 36) in the near future so this could be a grow out, too.
Does anyone have any suggestions for unusual arboreals? What would you put in it? I kind of want a GTP that would later go in the big exo, but I'd still want suggestions for what to use this one for afterwards. Could a GTP baby be okay in this size tank for a while from people's experience?

I know it can be hard to hold the heat in glass enclosures but I'll probably line 3 walls with cork bark for some extra insulation regardless of what I put in.
>>
File: PT2607_Natural_Terrarium_Filled.jpg (3 MB, 1494x1772) Image search: [Google]
PT2607_Natural_Terrarium_Filled.jpg
3 MB, 1494x1772
>>2035083
I'm a retard
>>
>>2035082
10g?
not a whole lot. something small, like an anole
I think i read that you can keep a wonder gecko in a 10g
>>
>>2035091
Anole needs more vertical space than a 10g.

Maybe a thread snake? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RXsyjqutrw

Just put a newt in in or some shit. Fuck that. It's too small. Or get another 10g and put an extender between them like I did.
>>
>>2035091
>>2035092
I think I'll just go with my original plans and use it to keep my crested gecko in while I clean his tank.
>>
Relief! The female l. williamsi showed up again basking on one of the top branches today, looking much healthier. I don't fucking know wtf she was doing (def not laying) but I'm glad she's safe and healthy.

>>2035094
You should do that with it and use it to breed roaches. Roaches are the best.
>>
>>2035082
>it croaked
Oh you
>>
>>2035092
Thread snakes don't survive in captivity usually, and even if you managed it you would never ever ever see it anyway
>>
Fed my ball python for the first time in her newly decked out tank
She like to drag the rat back into her hide to eat it there for whatever reason, but it like some fucking jurassic park shit now
>give her rat
>she wraps it
>i sit down because she doesn't like me watching her eat
>hear rustling
>look up to see the vines in her tank tank moving around coupled with a dragging sound
>>
>>2035105
Maybe shedding and decided to burrow in the substrate for extra humidity? Geckos do that occasionally.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.