[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
found this little dude in the woods don't know what it is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14
File: Snapchat-6152805360528214171.jpg (759 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6152805360528214171.jpg
759 KB, 1440x2560
Found this little dude in the woods, don't know what it is... I'd like to keep him but I don't know what to feed him so if you could help me figure out with this little dude is I'd be very happy
>>
File: Snapchat-4567404995344953297.jpg (1022 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4567404995344953297.jpg
1022 KB, 1440x2560
>>
>>2030106
>>2030106
It's some kind of lungless salamander. Knowing where you are in the world would help. I don't know how fun they would be to keep, they will likely hide most of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungless_salamander

For keeping them look here, most likely have the same care requirements
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Plethodon/P_cinereus.shtml

FYI, in some places it's illegal to take and keep any native amphibians as pets.
>>
>>2030116
Atlanta ga
>>
>>2030129
Looks like there are quite a few species in that area. Honestly I don't know enough to tell the ones with similar colorations apart.

You can find a list of possible species here.
http://srelherp.uga.edu/salamanders/index.htm
>>
>>2030134
Thank you, I just wanted to know what food he'd need and one of the links you game me had that info
>>
>>2030116
>in some places it's illegal to take and keep any native amphibians as pets.

how would anybody even find out
>>
>>2030267
You could post about it on the internet.
>>
>>2030279
top kek
>>
>/an/ can't even identify a salamander.

this is objectively worse than the woodlice threads.
>>
>>2030106
Lungless salamanders are hard to keep OP, even to people with knowledge about them.

They require previous experience with similar animals. If you care for the animal release it.

It is also obvious how oblivious you are about the animal, by making it crawl in cloth. This salamanders breed from the skin exclusively, they need to have it always moist.

If you really want to keep a salamander, FIRST read about them and inform yourself, next, get a Ambystoma or a salamandrid to start with.
>>
>>2030288
THIS. LET IT GO OP. You shouldn't even be handling it
>>
>>2030288
*breathe not breed
>>
>>2030288
>by making it crawl in cloth.
That looks like one of those textured vinyl tablecloths for picnic tables, not real cloth.
>>
>>2030106
Put it back man
>>
>>2030389
It looks like cloth to me, but it's hard to tell with such a shitty quality photo
>>
>>2030286
>identifying the species from that shitty pic with no additional info
there are no brakes on the tard train
>>
>>2030376
This, please...
>>
>>2030286
the Implying Dutchman strikes again.
>>
>>2030106
It will probably die if you keep it op. I had a friend who had a hummingbird fly into her house and she and her mom decided to try keeping it. Hummingbirds need food very frequently and it died. They didn't know this about hummingbirds, so you should really let it go unless you want to see it die.
>>
>>2030427
not the species.

OP couldn't recognize a fucking salamander.
>>
>>2030106
Ugh, put it back. And you should never even handle Salamanders. They very easily absorb human skin oils and salts through their skin, and it can kill them.

DON'T TOUCH SALAMANDERS.

Put it back. If you can't even tell what it is, there is no way you can care for it properly.
>>
>>2030912
>And you should never even handle Salamanders.
they're generally handled bare handed when research is being done.

most protective gloves do more harm to them than no gloves does.
>>
>>2030864
>OP couldn't recognize a fucking salamander.
>/an/ can't even identify a salamander
notice the subtle difference.
>>
>>2030920
>when research is being done
>gardeners now do amphibian research
>top banter.jpeg
>>
Fuck off m8 telling me to put it back, fuck you I'll live my life how I want. Gloves are made from chemicals, why would I put chemicals on him opposed to my natural skin oil. Fucking cunts mind your own business.

Dicks...
>>
>>2031209
>my natural skin oil
that's the problem you fuckwit. salamanders get 60% of their oxygen through the skin.
>>
>>2031209
>Gloves are made from chemicals

Everything is made from chemicals. Water is a chemical too.
>>
>>2031157
he's right
>>
>>2031276
I know, but it's always funny when he makes it sound like he is part of that research.
>>
>>2031234
lungless salamanders get 100% of the oxygen from their skin

>>2031209
also, if you truly are op and are looking for positive reinforcement on 4chan, then go hang yourself you fuck twat that no one ever loved
>>
>>2031336
>lungless salamanders get 100% of the oxygen from their skin

Forgot we're talking about lungless ones, you're right.
>>
>>2030106
>be salamander
>trying not to get eaten
>overall life is good
>Just chilling in my comfy moist crib
>plan on pro-creating and makin salamander babies
>suddenly get taken out by a large beast
>I'm now suffocating
>didn't expect life to change like this
>tfw can't can't leave and eat the fuck I want
>tfw no salamanders to fuck
>tfw this place might kill me
>tfw I might die because some guy wouldn't let me live the way I want in the woods instead of just starting small a with a starter salamander
>i hope pepe and friends miss me

Just let the little booger be a salamander OP and buy a capitively bred one. They're not expensive and they'll teach you how to care for them. Pls OP let him be with his pepes instead of sitting in your room by himself doing nothing for the rest of his life.
>>
Jesus christ /an/. Someone could literally fuck a chicken on video and you'd still be more butthurt over the most common amphibians in the fucking country getting touched.
>>
>>2031593
Because Wild is not the same as domesticated. Everything in the wild should stay in the wild because that's where they're best suited as opposed to one that has been bred for generations oand are easier to care for. Animals in the wild should STAY in the wild.
>>
>>2031593
Also taking any wild animal from the environment is extremely irresponsible if you aren't experienced or certified to care for them. If you do take any exotic animal directly taken from the wild and want to keep it alive as long as possible, You have to understand their basic biology, their food requirements, behavior, sensitivity to stress, must clean they're enclosure regularly, and if you fuck any of these up, there's a guarantee IT. WILL. DIE. Unless... you could just buy a capitively bred one and read the vast amount of resources that will tell you exactly how to care them which is easy, less stressful, and you touch anything in the ecosystem at all.
>>
>>2031604
*and you don't touch
>>
Once again fuck off m8
>>
>>2030920
And said researchers wash their hands before they handle them to remove any excess oils and salts, and they dont go out into the field wearing perfumes, lotions or any other such thing that will be thoroughly dangerous to the salamander.

They shouldnt be touched, with or without gloves, by normal people. And you fucking know this, but you always have to start some pedantic bullshit for some reason.
>>
>how do I keep this wild animal alive /an/?
>"this animal is very difficult to keep OP seeing you have no experience it'll probably die. He'll be better off where he belong though"
>GO FUCK YOURSELF /AN/ I DO WHAT I WANT FUCK IT IF IT DIES.
>>
>>2031708
>And said researchers wash their hands before they handle them
if you think they carry a bucket of soap with them you're further gone than I thought.
>>
File: Kerney_FieldResearch-1.jpg (198 KB, 2000x1122) Image search: [Google]
Kerney_FieldResearch-1.jpg
198 KB, 2000x1122
>>2030920
>>
>>2031767
>>
>>2031768
>>
>>2031767
two can play that game.

last time I went on amphibian field research I carried those wipes you use for retarded kids with me, works pretty well.
>>
File: 1449524862004.png (39 KB, 261x358) Image search: [Google]
1449524862004.png
39 KB, 261x358
>>2031767
>>2031768
you agitated the autistic kid, he's going to sperg out now
>>
File: 1280.jpg (93 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
93 KB, 640x633
>>2031772
>last time I went on amphibian field research

>gardener
>on "amphibian field research"
>>
>>2031772
>two can play that game.

Obviously not. The previous photos are of terrestrial salamanders, yours is of an aquatic one. Don't be so retarded pls.
>>
>>2031776
right.

you realize gloves were worn in >>2031768 because it's toxic right.
>>
>>2031779
>12 year old kids in photo
>research
umm ok
>>
>>2031780
yeah, that's often how it's funded.

studies get government money if kids can go on field days with them.
>>
>>2031782
that's why you consider yourself a scientist, i guess. you went on a field trip as a kid.
>Look mom, I science now!
>>
>>2031783
no I'm often asked for the locations of certain species in my area because I know where most things grow and live before anyone else does.

if you're here soley to shitpost just get back to >>>/b/
>>
>>2031785
I guess that's one of the many perks of being a neet. You can walk around all day.

if you're here soley to be butthurt just get back to >>>/lgbt/
>>
File: T.marmoratus.jpg (187 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
T.marmoratus.jpg
187 KB, 1000x750
I do some amphibian work and we don't use gloves. We do carry a bottle of water around to moist the animal after we handled it.

There are some reports of latex being harmful to amphibians. there's always nitrile gloves, but there's literally no use for gloves when handling amphibians.

Unless they are wild dart frogs, i dunno.
>>
>>2031799
some salamanders are toxic, that's when gloves are mostly use.

due to the loss of feeling in your hands if you wear gloves it's better to just wipe your hands and handle them bare handed if they're not toxic, so you don't accidently injure them.
>>
>>2031799
marmoratus are one of the most dank-ass european newts
>>
File: 28085_mesotriton_alpestris.jpg (2 MB, 2026x1181) Image search: [Google]
28085_mesotriton_alpestris.jpg
2 MB, 2026x1181
>>2031802
I. alpestris is the best newt we have around here.
>>
File: T.marmoratus2.jpg (406 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
T.marmoratus2.jpg
406 KB, 1000x562
>>2031801
Every salamander is toxic.
The most toxic ones being in the Torosa genus, even those you can handle bare handed.

Unless you have a big wound in your hand or sticking your hand in your mouth after handling the animals, there's 0 risk of anything happening to you.

>>2031802
They look amazing, we've found some really bright green ones, it's insane.
>>
>>2031808
I meant Taricha, not Torosa. brain fart
>>
>>2031808
>Every salamander is toxic.
poisonous, but many don't secrete anything harmful.
>>
File: 2382947753_318ed84767_b.jpg (342 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
2382947753_318ed84767_b.jpg
342 KB, 1024x681
>>2031808
they look qter underwater.
>>
>>2031816
>poisonous
You used toxic before too, so don't nitpick you sphincter stretcher
>>
>>2031816
a toxin is a poison secreted by living organisms
>>
>>2031821
it's pretty obvious what I meant if you're able to read in context, but you can't.
>>2031823
toxin doesn't need to be secreted.
>>
>>2031833
true, toxin it's a poison with biological origin
>>
File: 1486183531472.jpg (48 KB, 522x429) Image search: [Google]
1486183531472.jpg
48 KB, 522x429
>>2031833
>>
>>2031691
Good for the salamander if it dies then. You're a complete dipshit and don't deserve to keep any pet alive around you since you're incapable of reading and basic comprehension. Literally you are this fucking stupid. Why even keep it at all then? It'll just be a waste of time and then you need to clean out the fuckin smelly ass tank.
>>
>>2030864
I don't think that OP is a regular here.
>>
>>2031801

I thought you were supposed to use gloves for amphibians due to the nature of their skin.

Researchers not using gloves is not proof of anything besides stupidity. I've been on enough camps with undergrads to know many of these guys have no idea what the fuck they're doing.
>>
OP's salamander is a red-backed salamander, or more specifically the "lead-backed" variant. pretty easily identifiable. keeping one is near pointless, they have a short lifespan and just hide in earthen wastes(leaf liter, under logs, rocks) beyond the lifespan they're easily stressed (and prone to tail drops) which significantly impact life expectancy. they're not even kept captive they're so dull.

you don't need gloves when handling most herps, yeah, they have delicate skin, and lungless salamanders "breath" through there skin, but the salt and oils on your hands aren't an issue(salt is a major component to good soil). the bigger issue is them affecting you.

I'm not saying I'm the final word on this because honestly, it's all opinion that lacks study. but I took a field herp class at my local college, stayed at a conservation school in a local state forest, we were given a lot of info on how to handle herps, and the teacher stressed pretty hard that we wash our hands after encounters, but not gloves. a particular student used gloves regularly and the teach made a fuss about it. I still go on herp trips regularly.
>>
So I'm not sure about the whole glove issue. I do know it is wise to wash your hands before and after handling, because of different bacterias being transferred from you to them and them to you. I do agree you should let him go, but if you plan to keep him I would suggest getting a spray mister. Make sure his tank has that loose bark stuff you can buy to keep a tank moist. Make sure he has a water dish, probably big enough for him to sit in if he pleases. Also you can always ask a pet store for more information, although they may not be much help
>>
>>2032329
>Researchers not using gloves is not proof of anything besides stupidity
almost no one uses gloves for them.

you're saying the majority of all research on amphibians is done by retards.
>>
>>2031209
I dont talk to animal killers, fuck off to a different board, maybe /r9k/ is right for you fucking bastard.
>>
are you autistic? You see a creature in the wild and it makes your wee wee feel tingly and you get butterflies so you have to fucking take it and keep it? Can you not let go of something so small and simple?
>>
>>2030106
that's a lizard
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.