[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Barking dog in apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: black and tan pomeranian.jpg (14 KB, 236x320) Image search: [Google]
black and tan pomeranian.jpg
14 KB, 236x320
I own a Pomeranian similar to pic related. We live in an apartment. Ever since he reached puberty, he likes to bark whenever he hears people passing by in the corridors outside of our flat. How do I get him to stop barking or should I tolerate it?
>>
Kill it
>>
>owning a toy bread
>not training it to not spaz out at people
Worst kind of owner.
>>
>barking dog
>barking dog in an apartment building
>should i tolerate it
>>
>>2029444
>>2029448
What? I need legit advice.
I got a toy breed as I live in an apartment. Isn't it "normal" for dogs to bark?
>>
>>2029459
Have you taught it the 'quiet' command? That's how I taught my pom to shut up. They're pretty smart so it should only take a day or two.

Basically when it starts barking, sit in front of it with a treat and wait for it to stop; then say 'quiet' or 'shh' and treat it.
>>
>>2029459
When there's a reason for it, yes.
Strangers, alerts, fire, baby drowning, yes.
All the goddamn time, no.
>>2029465
What he said
>>
>>2029499
My dog only barks when he hears peoplr outside of our door
>>
>>2029459
No, it's not normal to have barking dogs. You're going to get noise complaints soon, I guarantee it.

Train your dog not to bark when people are outside, it's as simple as that. Get a friend to help you.
>>
>>2029508
Not even when my dog only barks when he hears people outside of our door?
>>
>>2029555
my dog doesn't give a crap when he hears people outside the door, though he is not a toy breed
>>
>>2029417
my dog barks when my doors closed at noises outside, i just tell her good girl straight away, i want her to alert me about people approaching, if she doesnt stop then she understands 'thats enough' if shes going nuts i can just distract her, get her to lay down or whatever.
>>
>>2029417
It sounds like you bought a Pomeranian without actually considering their temperament at all. You saw them and thought "it's cute! it's small!" and now you have a poorly bred, poorly trained dog. Any amount of research could've told you Pomeranians were very yappy by nature. Why'd you buy a Pomeranian? I'll link a video that looks like it'll help later, but seriously, are you just stupid?
>>
>>2029555
Why would you buy a Pomeranian if you live in a housing situation where people are going to be walking by your door at all times of the day, and at high frequencies? I'm genuinely surprised someone hasn't complained about you yet.
>>
>>2031744
I thought with training, they would be less yappy.
>>
>>2031805
Purebred dogs have hundreds of years of selective breeding. If a common breed choice is "annoying bark all the time," why on Earth would you think you could train them out of their own typical behaviors? Goddamn, you're a retard.
>>
>>2031814
Dog training books say shit like "all dogs can be trained to behave well".
>>
Sometimes it's easier to train a dog to do something, rather than not to do something. So instead of training her not to bark, you could try to train her to pick up a toy every time she hears someone pass by. There are also collars that are not shock collars, but vibrate instead. They startle the dog and distract them. It works for some dogs, but others just ignore it
>>
>>2031805
What on earth made you think this? I'm guessing you're not going about training it right, either.
>>
>>2032622
That is what books say?
>>
>>2032861
Whatever you're doing, you're not doing it right. Get a different dog.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.