[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
50,000 ducks die in fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1370147667130.gif (896 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
1370147667130.gif
896 KB, 245x180
- at Brome Lake Ducks near Racine, Quebec

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/brome-lake-ducks-fire-50000-1.3387242

"Approximately 50,000 ducks died in a fire Friday at a duck farm near Racine, Que., about an hour and a half from Montreal.

One of the two buildings at the Brome Lake Ducks facility was destroyed in the fire, which began around 7 p.m., Radio-Canada reported."
>>
File: 6114-happy-duck.jpg (45 KB, 644x360) Image search: [Google]
6114-happy-duck.jpg
45 KB, 644x360
I'm posting this cuz 50,000 little lives died in terror, pain and confusion. Dying is bad enough, but its such a horror to think that the last thing any living creature has to see is so many of its own helpless, panicked, terrified and suffering.

My point is that its just wrong. Moreover, that it just seems unnatural to have that many animals captive in one place at one time.

I understand that its an accident and the rancher has suffered a loss. But shouldn't there be some added liability if you are going to take responsibility for the humane care of so many creatures at once? They may have been livestock to him, but they are still living things that, through captivity, depended on him for safety and health. And it failed.

Insurance may save the rancher, but can there be no recourse for the animals? At least some safety for these CAFOs?

Thats what bothers me, is that people will look at this as an operations flaw. No one will think of the little captive animals that are at risk of dying so terribly if no new safety lesson is learned from this.

If people are going to take on the unnatural responsibility for tens of thousands of captive lives in one place, then it just seems to me that there should be the utmost safety regulation.

People will see this as just a barn fire, a ranch fire safety failing. No one will think of the animals.

And I lose patience with people who think that just because an animal is raised to be slaughtered, any death it receives is the same and use it as an excuse for the worst treatment.

Humane and ethical ranching is a real and valuable thing. Its not just better for animals, but its better for us. As someone said, "Animals make us human." How we distinguish ourselves is in large part how we treat the more helpless creatures.

Sorry for rambling.
>>
You can't punish people for acts of God.
>>
>>2029391
>acts of God.

Insurance agent pls leave
>>
>>2029356
If they're not pets, they're food.
Just because they aren't cooked yet (well, these ducks are now) doesn't mean they're not food.
>>
>If people are going to take on the unnatural responsibility for tens of thousands of captive lives in one place, then it just seems to me that there should be the utmost safety regulation.

This already exists.
Though it is for the sake of public health and also to contain the possibility of disease.
>>
>>2029396
lol'd
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.