[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 31
File: 1388266087207.gif (1020 KB, 321x273) Image search: [Google]
1388266087207.gif
1020 KB, 321x273
QTDDTOT, because this board needs one.
>>
File: Chumlee.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Chumlee.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
What mix is this?
>>
Can you make money with videos of dogs and cats on youtube?
>>
>>2028979

Pitt bull x pitt bull

Also it probably has some pit bull in it
>>
File: marucow.jpg (115 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
marucow.jpg
115 KB, 480x360
>>2029005
if your videos get several hundred thousand views, then yes. the owner of Maru the cat i know has made a lot of money from their videos.
>>
>>2029012
It's not pure pit bull though. Can't it be SBT? Either way it is in Norway, where pit bulls and amstaffs are illegal, I think at least half of it is a legal breed.

>>2029017
Maru seems like luck though. Is there a recipe you can follow?
>>
>>2029020

in order to have viral popular animal videos on youtube you must travel to the Himalayan mountains on a full moon and find the gnome who lives atop one of the mountains. You must play a game of rock paper scissors with this gnome. If you win best two out of three the gnome will provide you with directions to a different mountain gnome who lives in the Andes mountains who will challenge you to a game of spin the bottle...
>>
>>2029024
I can't do that, I fucking hate flying and traveling. Oh well.
>>
I've wanted a cat for a long time, but I've never had one before so I want to check with /an/ if you think it's a good idea in my current situation:
>thinking of getting an older cat, 5+ years at least, so it'll be more low energy
>currently a student, have lots of free time right now, but later on in my studies and also once I start working, I'll occasionally have to work very long hours (medical field)
>live alone
>apartment is 37 square meters
>willing to spend money on food, vet, toys and whatnot

What do you think?
>>
>>2029035
An indoor cat? I am not familiar with those, but cats unlike dogs are more independent and don't have anxiety when alone so it wouldn't matter if you're at work for longer time. They just lie around most of the day anyway.

However, as I said, I do not know how indoor cats use their energy, my cats are allowed to be outside and do whatever they want there.
>>
>>2029050
Regardless of the usual debate, it would have to be indoors since I live right by a busy street
>>
Anyone own a dog and do shooting? How will a pup respond to shooting? Was thinking of making it comfortable around a gun so I could take it on hunts. Not a hunting dog, but I could use the company.
>>
>>2029181
>I could use the company.
Illegal in most of the US. He's going to sit in the car or camp all day because he isn't allowed to go out with you. Also dangerous. Google "hunter shot by dog." It happens all the time.
>>
>>2029184
What? Got a link to any of this. The "hunter shot by dog" line makes me think you might be joking desu.
>>
>>2029035
As long as you have the money to properly care for it with food, toys, litter, vet bills, etc., then that's fine. As previously stated, cats are fairly independent creatures. Occasional long hours won't be an issue. Indoor cats are fine, and in theory, are "the better way" to keep cats, as they tend to live longer, be healthier, don't mess with the native wildlife, and so on. Go for it. Adopt one!
>>
>>2029188
seriously? you don't know how to run an internet search?

tha fuck.

let me get that for you.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/27/a-dog-shoots-a-person-almost-every-year-in-america/
>>
>>2029190
>An Indiana woman had left her loaded shotgun on the ground with the safety off
Found your problem, but yeah. Can't see there is a law against it.
>>
>>2029191
>Can't see there is a law against it.
that's because you can't use a fucking search engine.

sad really.
>>
>>2029196
I take it there is no law then. I am gullible, but I won't take your word for it or waste my time looking it up through google.
>>
What legal rights to an animal does someone have if they leave an animal at your house for 5 years? My room mate has shitty family members that have abandoned 4 animals at our house, the longest resident has been here for 5 year. I know his family is shitty so I would never give any of them back.
>>
>>2029198
you seriously can't use a search engine?
you're fucking retarded.
you deserve to get busted hunting illegally with a dog.
>>
>>2029211
Do you have something against hunting or what?
>>
>>2029213
I love hunting, it's retards that piss me off.

how does a person even find 4chan if they're too stupid to use google?
>>
>>2029214
I find it funny you coughed up an article, but not laws, which are supposedly easy to find.
>>
>>2029215
to find the law I'd need to know your state.

I don't actually give a fuck if you go to jail though. Not my concern.

I am however amazed there's a retard on this site that can't use a search engine. That's pretty fucking funny.
>>
>>2029217
So you don't actually even know if my state has any laws against it. Wew.
>>
>>2029218
I said it's illegal in most of the US.

I don't know where you live. I don't really care.
I assume it's texas or Arkansas or some other hotbed of cousin fuckery, you don't seem very bright.
>>
File: upset.png (220 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
upset.png
220 KB, 500x372
>>2029220
>>2029217
>>2029214
>>2029211
>>2029196
>>
>>2029225
>u mad?
>>
Is there anything I can do to avoid spiders and insects crawling through my open window? I can't use anything to cover the window like netting.
>>
>>2029326
let the spiders build a web in your window sill.
>>
File: concertdad.gif (2 MB, 341x192) Image search: [Google]
concertdad.gif
2 MB, 341x192
>>2029206

Can anyone answer this? My post got drowned by 2 faggots
>>
>>2029336
I can answer it but I'm not going to after you called me a faggot.
>>
>>2029368

its pretty safe to assume that they don't want your answer and that you are still acting like a butthurt faggot
>>
Do chickens make a lot of noise? If I want to keep them for eggs, I'd like to keep them as close to my house as possible for easy retrieval, but if they are noisy and smell I'd keep them far enough away to not be disturbed.
>>
i gave my puppy a worming tablet yesterday, this morning in her shit was a big white worm, about 5 inches long no features. is my dog ok now or should i make any changes? what problems would she have had while this parasite was living in her?
>>
>>2029637
they smell a bit, and they make a bit of noise. it really depends on your threshold for noise and smell, i would have chikens on my patio, its not an offensive smell unless you neglect to clean them for long periods, and the noise is just like a murmur imagine the girl from the rings croak and the cartoon style 'puk puk'. cocks however are the fucking worst.
>>
>>2029326
theres a species of chestnut in thenuk we call the 'conker' apparently when dried they scare away spoders, ive heard similar things about peppermint extract
>>
>>2029181
theres literally no point bringing your dog shooting unless its a retrieving dog. the scent will scare game, the noise will distrupt your hide. Get it fully trained for hunting it'll be mich better. you can find videos about starting a gun dog, im guessing theyd have advice about the npise of the gun, you can get blacl poweder powered launchers for dog dummies at hunting stores in the us.
>>
best site for betta info? have a desktop aquaponic set that suggests bettas live in the tank, even came with betta specific food and stuff but have only had one before as a kid and it didnt last a year.
>>
>>2029650
>cocks however are the fucking worst.
ayy that's not what your mom said last night
>>
>>2029655
This. I used to take my Boston squirrel hunting and all she acquired was extreme hype for gunfire. She goes fucking WILD every time somebody shoots. She yearns to kill
>>
>>2029637
In my experience they don't make a lot of noise. There might be a few loud outbursts every so often, but they're not nearly as loud as horses.
>>
File: Rhinocéros_blanc_JHE.jpg (143 KB, 1356x735) Image search: [Google]
Rhinocéros_blanc_JHE.jpg
143 KB, 1356x735
Could rhinos be domesticated and ridden like horses? They are related.
>>
>>2029869
No. Way different animals. If they were
domesticated, they couldn't be ridden. Not well trained to be ridden, anyway.
>>
>>2029869
Probably, but it would take a shitload of time, especially since rhinos aren't exactly quick easy breeders.
>>
>>2029656

pet industry isn't regulated in so far as what they can claim their products are suitable for on the packaging. betta fish, get a 10gallon with a filter. i assume that desktop tank is like a gallon or less? that's way too small.
>>
>>2029908
>>2029908
its three gallons 'ideal for one betta' it has a pump and solids filter, plants will take care of the rest of the cleaning.
>>
>>2029870
you are clearly a pleb. If an animal is domesticated, it changes the animal entirely, being easy to train and ride would be the key traits the breeders wanted from it and although it may take a few thousand years eventually you could domesticate a rhino into some sort of tame ridable trainable animal.
>>
>>2029950
no.
>>
>>2028937
>QTDDTOT, because this board needs one

>One of the slowest boards on 4chan
>OP thinks we have TOO MANY THREADS!!
thanks OP, you're the hero /an/ deserves.
>>
>>2029978
no what? a three gallon tank wont be able to hold the inch long fucking fish?!
>>
>>2029978
im gunna go to every store in town, buy all the bettas and have a royal rumble in this three gallon bitch. thats on you. thats your fucking fault. 'no' like i even asked a question you worthless fish fucker. if i ever see your mum, believe ill throw a fucking rainbpw trout at her and knock her off her bike you funky fish headed bitch.
>>
how can i get my 4 month old puppy to stop biting when she's excited/playing? when she's excited she constantly bites and it's pretty frustrating.
i try to switch her attention to a toy instead but it doesn't always work.
>>
>>2029986

your betta will die quickly in a tank that small.
>>
>>2029979
It being slow is the problem. If you have 5 "active" threads on /an/ it means you cannot make another. As the title implies it's also great for smaller questions that don't need their own thread.
>>
Is processed dog food equivalent to junk food we get?
>>
>>2030084
only if you can live a full and healthy life eating nothing but your favorite junkfood all day every day.
>>
How expensive is a dog per year? I can get a free rescue but I'm afraid it'd still be too expensive for me in the long run.
>>
>>2028937
Raw diet for dogs. A meme or a good idea? All 3 of my families dogs actually did the BARF diet after being weened at from their breeder.
>>
Why did big predatory birds lose out to other land dwelling predators like wolves, cats and bears?
>>
>>2030104
Quite interested in how kibble is made any resources to look at?
>>
People with cats: do they tend to fall out of windows? Is that something you'd have to take precautions for?
>>
>>2030257
probably. My stupid cat falls off the second floor railing in my house all the time.
>>
>>2029181
My family's yellow lab fell asleep while the many times we were target shooting in the Sierra Nevada mountains. It greatly depends on the personality of your dog, too. But training and normalizing is important.
>>
>>2029326
Close the fucking window? Don't bother with a screen, just close your window.
It'd help if we knew why you can't block the window with netting.
>>
My daffodils are up. Does this mean they won't be up in the spring? Do I have to worry about them dying off and never growing back?
>>
>>2029190
>"happened in Florida" is a column on the chart
>4/10 happened in Florida
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 600x600
>>2029950
It's doable for a betta, but certainly not ideal. A betta will do better with more swimming space and a more stable environment. It's better suited to small invertebrates like shrimp or snails than a fish. If you were to put a betta in there you'd need a heater anyway, and you could build your own 5-10 gallon "aquaponics aquarium" for the same or nearly the same price.

>plants will take care of the rest of the cleaning
The plants won't be enough on their own. You'll still need to do weekly 20-30% water changes and monthly gravel siphoning.

As long as you got it cycled properly beforehand, though, it would make a good shrimp tank, and you could still grow herbs.

>>2029998
>"excitable boy, they all said"

>>2030131
I want to say 800-1200 off the top of my head, accounting for good food and potential vet bills and whatnot, but I'd have to calculate it to know for sure.

>>2030248
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqp4Rm1LuBo
>source a bunch of cheap ingredients
>grind it all together
>put it in a breakfast cereal machine (to cook and shape it)
>weigh and package it
wala
>>
>>2030509
>I want to say 800-1200 off the top of my head, accounting for good food and potential vet bills and whatnot, but I'd have to calculate it to know for sure.
800-1200 dollars? Damn that's a bit much for me.
>>
>>2029998
gold.
>>
File: fa007.jpg (37 KB, 390x309) Image search: [Google]
fa007.jpg
37 KB, 390x309
Is it okay to pick up my pregnant dog like this, but with my arms where the red circles are?
>>
>>2030509
hol up

how much for this set
to grow shit and have a fish in one little cube is a dream
>>
>>2029050
When my cat gets really hyper she runs in huge circles around the living room and pulls the painting above the sofa off the wall, but not so much that it falls down.
She's 16.
Normally she just plays with me or a toy instead though.
>>
>>2030576
>didn't read the post
>>
How Tight Should a Dog Collar Be

>loose enough for two fingers to fit
That doesn't cut it.

I can have the collar tight enough for my index and middle finger to fight very snugly,
or I can have the collar loose enough so I can slide my fingers in at ease.

Not to mention how large of a variation there is for hand sizes.

Sometimes, when my family fits the collar, it slips off with some resistance from the dog.
They use the "two finger" rule, too, but they might loosen it some more after that sometimes.
>>
>>2030509
Yeah nah seems like pupper gonna be getting more raw with some dry for the vitamins and whatnot. However brand hills or royal canine are apparently "premium" which one would fit this purpose best?
>>
File: image.jpg (205 KB, 1287x1183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205 KB, 1287x1183
>>2030571
Would you hold a pregnant lanky like this?
>>
>>2030956
I fucking love this site
>>
File: IMG_0534.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0534.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1936
I have my new rescue puppers first training class on Thursday. 1 on 1 and then later on we will do it with other dogs. What am I to expect? Was told to bring treats :) her training at home has been going great and for 2 weeks she is faaarking obedient.
>>
>>2030022
Stop play. Go silent and walk away.
>>
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 1192x1126) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 1192x1126
>>2030963
BUT WAIT!
THERE'S MORE
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>2030979
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÃAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>2030975
first get rid of that choke collar.
>>
>>2030983
It's an ez dog harness Lel.
>>
>>2030954
>However brand hills or royal canine are apparently "premium" which one would fit this purpose best?
Neither. Vets don't require extensive knowledge of pet nutrition, the same way a physician is different from a nutritionist. Hills and Royal Canin are the largest sponsors of nutrition courses for vets, so they make sure the courses sing praises of their brands. Of you look at the actual ingredients in Hills and Royal Canin brand foods, they're on part with cheap grocery store brands.
Wellness, Acana, and Orijen are considered good brands (among others). Ingredients lists are misleading and trying to read them is actually rather difficult (I can get into that if you want, but it'll be a separate post).
>>
My cat keep licking herself until her fur falls off and she keeps pissing herself and seems to drool. Anyone have any idea what it might be? She is 10 years old.
>>
>>2031108
Maybe she has something wrong with her brain like a tumor or something? I'd say take her to a vet and see. It's not normal even if she is a senior cat.
>>
I live near something called Overtoun Bridge

Since like the 50s/60s, dogs have jumped off to their deaths at about a rate of 1 a year
Current theory is that they are attracted to the smell of mink, but the farmer that lives there and hunters say that there absolutely arent any in the area

Any ideas why they do this?
>>
Aquariums are animal abuse?
>>
>>2031382
Only small ones
>>
>>2031066
Found a website dogfoodadvisor/com and looked at the brands you suggested. Not readily available unfortunately found the next best thing available Taste of the Wild.

Also is it possible for dogs to be gluten intolerant or sensitive? Because after eating grain-free totw pupper seems to be choochin less in fart department.
>>
My kitten attempts to seek his mom's nipples on people's necks, tries to suckle and kneads and everything. He's 3 months now, how to make it stop pls (or should I just buy a bunch of turtleneck sweaters)?
>>
>>2030956
As much as I exercise, I'm not nearly strong enough to do that, not to mention how difficult it'd be to hold a human women up like that.

>>2030979
I'm getting rather weary of waiting, is this an efficient method of delivering the puppies sooner?

It would be rather convenient to control when she gives birth, rather than her giving birth in an inconvenient place under inconvenient circumstances.
>>
>>2031523
You should get more turtleneck sweaters anyway.
>>
File: pregnantspin2956055.gif (1 MB, 549x309) Image search: [Google]
pregnantspin2956055.gif
1 MB, 549x309
>>2030956
>>
Hey guys, dome advice on dog aggression. My doggy is fine when other dogs come over or she goes to their house but when we go to the park she will get aggressive now and then. She also chases dogs when they go for their ball. Im taking her to a trainer tomorrow and I will bring this up, but in the mean time is there anything I can do? I've only had her for 2 weeks and everything else is fine about her, obedient as fuck and learns tricks in like 2 minutes with treats. She's a 9 month old rescue.
>>
>>2031570
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ppV9_94wE
>>
>>2031573
Have a shitty internet dongle so not enough data to watch :/ thank you for your time though, any good resources that are website based?
>>
>>2031573
Actually my dog park has free WiFi. Might go watch it there! Thank you.
>>
>>2031573
That's all well and good but I don't have a park of 42 caesar Milan trained dogs to take her too. When she is aggressive to dogs I call her to me and make her sit and today when she got aggressive I did the same and pinned her down by the collar (gentle of course) and made her look at me. Is that a bad thing to do? Is there anything else I can do? Maybe take her to a different park with other dogs? It only tends to happen with other dogs that are fast and chase balls.
>>
>>2031596
I'm not sure if the episode linked shows it, but Cesar teaches that because dogs "live in the moment", they need correction right when they do something bad, not "10 seconds later".

If she knows what "bad dog" means, tell her bad dog, pin her down, and wait until she submits to you.

Having her know something vocal helps when you're not next to her all the time.
So you could say "bad dog", run to her, and then pin her down.

A shock collar could help, but make sure you don't condition her to fear the collar.

I knew a family that got a collar to make their dog stop barking at people passing by in front of the house.
They put the shock collar on the dog, the dog barked, the dog barked some more later on, and then they took it off.
They put it on again when the dog was barking, and then they took it off.
Then then threatened the dog by saying "shock collar" when the dog was barking, and they held the collar.
This conditioned the dog to fear the collar.
The dog learned that it was okay to bark as long as the collar wasn't on.

Summary:
- be on time
- be consistent
- maybe use a vocal cue
- consider a shock collar for corrections

A violent dog could lead to a lawsuit.
>>
File: Snapchat-1458076357278328449.jpg (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1458076357278328449.jpg
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>2031615
I would certainly considering using a shock collar if operative conditioning doesn't work. So as long as I cue her with bad dog and pin her, that should be enough for her to realise not to be a dick? I am quite switched on with the other stuff eg. When she is unsure I ignore her and do not coo her or reassure her. I will take her to a park this afternoon that has like 2 or 3 dogs as opposed to 30 so I have more control and it isn't as distracting. Thanks for the advice. Have a picture of her.
>>
So my mom has a Shih-tzu about middle-aged and she keeps getting hard brown crust around the eyes and there seems to be a thick film around one of the eyes. To poor to afford a vet and any time my mom looks it up online all she gets is 'dry-eyes'. Is that all this is or is it something more serious?
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>2031524
Yes
>>
Sitting here with my buddy on the outside couch. She's kicking my arm all over. Have I achieved a new bonding level? We had such a great day together, spent about 4 hours out total walking and playing with other dogs in parks (split up into multiple trips).
>>
>>2031745
kek
>>
File: image.png (730 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
730 KB, 2048x1536
>>2031761
DONT YOU KEK ME MOTHER DUCKER
>>
>>2031774
It looks like your knife is backwards...
>>
File: image.png (661 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
661 KB, 2048x1536
>>2031786
Don't tell me how to live my life
>>
>>2029020
The recipe is being as cancerous as possible. Just see what the other youtubers do and copy it. If they do lolsorandom shit then do it too, if they stuff shitty memes into their videos then do that too, if they have annoying video editing then do that shit too. Don't forget to shill your channel on social media.
>>
>>2031471
Taste of the Wild is a good brand.

>Also is it possible for dogs to be gluten intolerant or sensitive?
Yes. If you've noticed an improvement, stick with it. A lot of people seem to simply buy into the whole "gluten'll make your dick fly off" nonsense, but gluten-free food can be beneficial on a case-by-case basis.
>>
File: 815UI2MvuzL._SL1500_.jpg (136 KB, 1500x1433) Image search: [Google]
815UI2MvuzL._SL1500_.jpg
136 KB, 1500x1433
>>2030576
Get a ten gallon tank and the a hang on back refugium (http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-External-Refugium-Breeder-1-Gallon/dp/B005VFLAG2), then fill it with well-rinsed black lava rock or hydroponics clay.
It'll be cheaper, you'll have more room for plants, and whatever animals you put in there will be a hundred times better off.
>>
>>2032028
Definite improvement. Less fecal matter meaning more nutrients digested, is darker color though but pretty sure this is because the actual kibble is darker. Also seems to be enjoying the food more.

But yes noticed lactose intolerance earlier where a teaspoon of cottage cheese induced diahrrea. Which makes senses just like enjoying salamon flavor over chicken. Area of origin appropriate diet has to be a thing.
>>
Could Therapod dinosaurs jump? Did they fight with their legs? I assume smaller ones did, but could a T-rex?
>>
>>2029986
It's not about the fish size, it's about the water/temperature quality and stability.
>>
>>2032579
no, an adult rex couldn't jump. It probably couldn't even run. Its ankles weren't that strong.

they undoubtedly used their feet to restrain prey, but "fighting" is vague. When fighting with another rex they used their mouths.
>>
>>2029953
Domestication doesn't change how sensitive an animal is and how well it responds to training. You misunderstand domestication as "animal being immediately and deeply changed to suit my exact needs"
>>
>>2030943
It should be tight enough that you can hear the dog's labored breathing.
Dogs have good strong air passageways, because of their large noses, so they can handle what would be strangulation for humans.
>>
Exactly how long is a domesticated dog's memory? Or rather how long is their recognition of people?

I'm an active duty sailor who just visited my parents for the first time in like 2 years, and beyond the initial excitement, her 4 dachshunds seemed not to freak out about me, and settle into my old nicknames and habits for paying attention to them.

I lived with my parents for about 3 years when she first got them, was in and out for the 3.5 years I was in college, and then finally last saw them the last time I transferred commands in April of 2014.
>>
File: IMG_20160108_111715.jpg (1 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_111715.jpg
1 MB, 2340x4160
I'm not sure the species name. The lady at the nursery said it would be fine on the windowsill, just don't over water it. Obviously that didn't work out so good.

Can I save it?
>>
>>2032798
Well, Hachikō went to that train station for nine years after the priest died, even though they were only together for two years.
If that's any indication, dogs can probably remember particular humans for their entire lives if the person had a big impact on them.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-08-15-41-38.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-08-15-41-38.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
Is this true?
>>
>>2033487
Why in the world would you think thats true
>>
>>2033503
I've seen crazier stuff turn out to be true.
>>
>>2033521
Try it and see.
>>
>>2033788
I don't live near any bear populations.
>>
File: 20160109_110212.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160109_110212.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Through a series of events, this spider is now waiting outside my door. I need an ID please.
>>
>>2033896

Where do you live?
>>
>>2033896
Brown recluse
>>
>>2034332
Georgia. I'm fairly sure it's a type of wolf spider.

>>2034333
Pls.
>>
File: image.jpg (326 KB, 1995x1869) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
326 KB, 1995x1869
Is my bunbun happy?
>>
>>2033896
Same guy that posted the pic. I think this is a thin leg wolf spider. Can anyone confirm?
>>
>>2033896
>>2034403
Nevermind, it's a southern house spider.
>>
>>2028937
Why am I not that cat
>>
>>2033819
That's no-one's fault but your own.
>>
File: PT2607_Natural_Terrarium_Filled.jpg (3 MB, 1494x1772) Image search: [Google]
PT2607_Natural_Terrarium_Filled.jpg
3 MB, 1494x1772
I bought a used 18 x 18 x 24 exo terra (pic related), it's in great condition, but I can't decide what to put in it. I have experience with a variety of reptiles and amphibians. I plan on getting a huge ass exo (36 x 18 x 36) in the near future so this could be a grow out, too.
Does anyone have any suggestions for unusual arboreals? What would you put in it? I kind of want a GTP that would later go in the big exo, but I'd still want suggestions for what to use this one for afterwards. Could a GTP baby be okay in this size tank for a while from people's experience?
>>
Can you raise and breed jumping spiders in captivity?
>>
>>2028979
Pit bull x lab
>>
>>2029986
I bet you don't believe goldfish are related to wild carp and koi closely enough to interbreed with them, can grow over a foot long, and live for over 40 years, too.

The only reason why a goldfish would die in less than a year is because they are constantly kept in tiny little fucking bowls, just like that one.

3 gallons is not ok for anything other than shrimp and tetras.
>>
>>2031382
Aquariums too small for the specific animals housed inside of the individual tank is abuse. A lot of damn good fish of high quality are mass breed and sold in chain stores in shitty tiny containers with absolutely horrible care instructions because the sooner they die the sooner their owner has to come back to the store to buy a replacement.

It's basically a pyramid scam. The worst case scenario is when certain breeds of catfish that can grow over 4 feet long are sold to people with five gallon tanks because they are so fucking cute and adorable when they are teeny tiny babies.
>>
>>2035200
The local chain here sells iridescent sharks that get 40 inches and so does meijers and other large fish like oscars. The average retard that shops these places probably have a 10 or a "massive" 20 gallon tank
>>
>>2028937
Say you go over the home of an old friend, drink to you pass out and wake to fine your dick had been sucked. You would hope his wife did it but I have a weird feeling the old friend likes the cock.
How the hell do I hàndle this circus.
Not gay and I don't bang married woman.
>>
>>2035704
You confront his wife and tell her her husband suck your dick while you were sleeping. If she gets mad then he did it. If she doesn't then you're all good. Or ignore it completely.
>>
My dog doesn't like her eukanuba biscuits that much but lately she is solely on dry food as the vet said it will help soften up the plaque before I brush it. Anyway when I put it in her bowl she doesn't like it. She eventually eats it but I find her retrieving her treats from her secret spot and eating them before eating her main biccies. Is this unhealthy or keep showing her tough love? These biscuits are recommended for a great diet.
>>
Watching my brother's dog for a week. Whenever I put it in the crate it starts barking loudly and doesn't stop. I guess this is anxiety or something. What should I do? Let her tire herself out(can it even do that)?
>>
You need to assert yourself as the dog's pack leader.
You can assert yourself by pinning the dog down on it's side by the neck.

Once you've asserted yourself as the pack leader, it will follow commands.

I might assume that the dog knows sit, maybe "no". Whatever your brother does or says to let the dog knows that it's doing something wrong, do it.

If it doesn't stop, or tries to get in the last word, especially if it growls at you or bites you, pin it down by the neck, and then hold it there until it calms down.
This is how dogs communicate in the wild.

tl;dr

>get a treat, or a nice medium rare slice of steak, and make the dog sit for the treat, repeat this maybe 5 times
>pin the dog down on it's side by the neck to become it's pack leader
>walk around with treats, and make it sit for the treats about 5 more times, to establish trust and friendship, as well as discipline

>then put it in the crate, and when it starts barking, let it know that it's doing something wrong
you can let it know it's doing something wrong by saying
- bad dog
- no
- lunging your face towards it as if you are going to bit it
- touching it firmly with your fingertips
- punching it in the face (the skull is a very durable bone)
- kicking it in the ribs
- biting it on the neck
- breaking it's leg
- sawing it's ear off
>>
>>2035896
Eukanuba is terrible, and feeding kibble is the worse thing you could do for a dogs dental health due to the high amounts of carbohydrates. Adding raw meaty bones a few times a week is the best way to ensure proper dental hygiene. If your dog has significant plaque buildup look into LEBA III, a very effective dental supplement for breaking down the hard tartar.
>>
>>2035911
Good way to get bit and ruin any chance of a respectful relationship between you and the dog.
>>
>>2035994
Really? What would you suggest over eukanuba? I give her plenty of meat but alot of sources say to use kibble to help their teeth get stronger. Some say to stay away from bones because they might not chew it into small enough pieces. What kind of bone meat should I get her?
>>
File: 1377606839916.gif (753 KB, 422x437) Image search: [Google]
1377606839916.gif
753 KB, 422x437
>dog won't shut up in its crate
>>
What the fuck kind of slug is this?
>>
>>2037242
red slug (Arion rufus)
>>
>>2035996
He's right, though, except for the breaking its legs and cutting it's ear off parts.
>>
>>2035898
>>2036703
Then let the dog out of the crate.
The crate for dogs is like smoking some methamphetamines, and then locking yourself in a telephone booth.
>>
Okay /an/. I recently found my my lost cat, she's in my room right now. Uncle caught her in a raccoon trap but she's yowling like crazy. What do I do? I want to let her out but i don't know what her reaction will be.
Yes I am positive it is her. She's been gone for around a month.
>>
>>2037366
Do I out a blanket over the trap and let her relax? The yowling is starting to calm down but she's still going
>>
>>2037366
>>2037367
If i let her out should I immediately give her that human contact or let her do whatever she needs to do. She's in my room where she used to always hang.
>>
>>2029198
you're a retard
>>
>>2037366
>>2037367
>>2037369
>>2037369
Okay so I let her out and she started sniffing around, meowing, and just like the first day i got her from the shelter she's receptive to my petting.
Now, I want to take her to a vet. Uncle says what for, she had all her shots from the shelter when we first got her. My reasoning is that unlike his cat, which also has all his shots and is neutered, he comes back every day, he basically goes out to take a shit. I don't know how she's been surviving.
Is he right? I don't want to pay for something if it's not needed
>>
>>2029869
there's only a few left in the world, iirc. I bet it'd be pretty hard to get your hands on one.
>>
>>2031295
I have no idea, myself, but I've heard of this before on /x/ in an 'unsolved mysteries' type thread. since you live there and all, you might ask there. /x/ can be annoying (because everyone says it sucks now), but mystery threads are awesome. folks might want to ask you stuff since you live near the bridge.
>>
>>2037382
if payment is an issue, I'd wait it out and not go to the vet. if she seems fine, she probly is.
just a guess though. keep a close eye on her for now. maybe schedule a check-up type appointment for when you can save up some extra money.

glad you got her back!
>>
I'm thinking about adopting a dog from my local shelter, but I have an indoor cat. The shelter tests a dog's temperament with cats by running them by a feral cat colony and seeing if the dog gives chase. Is this an accurate way to "cat-test" a dog?
>>
>>2028937
What is the best guard and watch dog breed?
>>
File: cache_2874963404.png (3 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cache_2874963404.png
3 MB, 800x600
Anyone have any input on what's the cheapest place i can order frozen mice from online?

fair warning: i'm going to post this on several relevant threads on /an/ to cast a broader net
>>
>>2037670
lol, no.
Because you can't tell if the dogs wants to tear its throat out, or if it just wants to sniff it and it's overwhelmed with excitement.
>>
>>2037382
She is going feral anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 300x235) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 300x235
Are American crocodilians like alligators and caiman immune to cane toad poison?
>>
Firstly, we should shorten the name to "SQT". Although not all of these questions are stupid it is just way easier to type "SQT" than QTDDTOT.

Secondly, would it be an incorrect statement to call a dog a Domesticated Wolf. As far as I can tell that terminology seems to me like it would be literally accurate. Thoughts?
>>
>>2037894
Yes it is incorrect to call dog domesticated wolves because
A: a wolf cannot be domesticated, only tamed. The Domestication of dogs took hundreds of years and thousands of generations
b: They are different species. Canis lupus lupus and Canis lupus familiaris
>>
>>2037901
>b: They are different species. Canis lupus lupus and Canis lupus familiaris
literally lol'd

those are the same species, buddy.
>>
>>2037904
My thoughts. I am pretty sure that "familiaris" only indicates that it is the domesticated form.
>>
>>2037905
familiaris is the subspecies

lupus is the species

Canis is the genus
>>
>>2037894
QTDDTOT is commonly used between boards, I especially see it on /fit/ for example.
>>
File: 0115161206.jpg (687 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
0115161206.jpg
687 KB, 2240x1344
Which spider is this?
>>
>>2038211
cellar spider
>>
>>2038215
Thanks
>>
>>2038233
you're welcome
>>
>>2037901
Actually, it's more accurate to say that we didn't domesticate our dogs from today's wolf, but from a common ancestor many thousands of years ago. Today's dog and today's wolf have branched off from each other through our domestication and through time. The wolf we know today is different than the wolf we knew when we first domesticated our dogs.
>>
>>2038247
>The wolf we know today is different than the wolf we knew when we first domesticated our dogs
nope.
dogs and wolves are the same species now and they were the same species when they split.
>>
>>2038255
I didn't say they were different species, I was trying to say they were different forms.

Dingoes, gray wolves, arctic wolf, etc. are all the same species, doesn't mean they're all the same thing.
>>
>>2038268
the fact that they're the same species means they still crossbreed.

so when we're talking about the most recent common ancestor, in some cases that ancestor is still alive.

in others it may be extinct. But for most dogs their most recent common ancestor with wolves was in the last 100 years, and it was very much a modern wolf.
>>
I want a fish that isn't a goldfish and isn't a beta. What should I get and how big for a tank?
>>
>>2038275
Dogs were domesticated 11,000-16,000 years ago, that's hardly within the past 100 years, and all dog breeds have come from only one common ancestor, unless it was a recent breed derived from hybrids.
>>
>>2038302
> and all dog breeds have come from only one common ancestor
that likely isn't true.
>>
>>2038302
all dogs have recent wolf admixture.
every fucking one of them.
>>
>>2038306
Genetic testing has shown it to be so.

>>2038342
Very few dog breeds have any recent wolf in them unless they're hybrids. Siberian huskies are often quoted to have recent wolf in them but genetic testing has disproven this theory.

If they all had recent wolf in them, dogs would not be as pliable to humans as they are. Even after 5 generations of breeding dog back into a wolfdog won't give you a dog that behaves like a fully domesticated dog.
>>
>>2038417
by recent I mean in the last few hundred years.

all dogs have recent wolf admixture, and the most recent common ancestor between wolves and dogs is anywhere from 200 years ago to last week.

that's the thing you don't seem to understand. Members of the same species can and do breed.

they didn't split, they're still breeding all the fucking time. Anywhere wolves and dogs exist together they're still breeding.
>>
>>2038306
All living creatures come from a common ancestor if you go far enough back.
>>
>>2038422
>that's the thing you don't seem to understand. Members of the same species can and do breed

I've literally never even said anything to this effect in the entirety of this thread.

Wolves and domestic dogs have very different breeding periods, and as such the breeding of hybrids is a carefully-planned difficult thing to achieve. A dog running free in a wolf pack isn't going to have a high chance of becoming pregnant or impregnating a wolf because the fertility periods are so different.

Very few dog breeders incorporate wolf blood into their dog stock, because it's impractical and because breeding wolf into the dogs makes them terrible pets.

100 years is roughly 5-6 generations btw, and would still not give you 100% domesticated dogs if wolf blood had been incorporated.
>>
>>2038425
>the breeding of hybrids is a carefully-planned difficult thing to achieve.
It's as simple as having a bitch dog in heat when there's wolves around.

that's actually one reason wolves were almost wiped out in the US. All you need to do to kill them is leave a bitch in heat out and they'll come from miles around.
>>
>>2038425
>Very few dog breeders incorporate wolf blood into their dog stock
most dogs aren't purebreds, purposefully bred to exclude wolves.

you've got some very weird ideas about dogs, friend.
>>
>>2038429
The thing is, as I said in my previous post, wolf and dog fertility periods don't match up. So the chances of a dog being in heat at the same time that males are looking for mates, or the other way around, isn't very high.

>>2038431
You just said bred to exclude wolves, isn't that agreeing with me? With what you just said, I'm not sure what exactly you're finding problem with in what I said.
>>
>>2031573
why is this animal abuser hack so popular?

dominance training went out with aspic
>>
Why is the American brown bear/grizzly so much more aggressive than other bears?
>>
File: 403851840.jpg (21 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
403851840.jpg
21 KB, 211x246
What kind of animal is this supposed to be?
>>
>>2038913
Which one? Brown bears and grizzly bears are two different species?
>>
>>2039009
What? They are pretty much the same, no? Brown bear in northern Europe is much less aggressive than the grizzly.
>>
Would a hamster help me cope with my crippling loneliness?
>>
>>2039091
No. A dog would. A cat to some lesser degree.
>>
>>2038745
>the chances of a dog being in heat at the same time that males are looking for mates, or the other way around, isn't very high.
Male wolves don't have a season. That's the females you're thinking of.
>You just said bred to exclude wolves, isn't that agreeing with me?
I said most dogs aren't.
most dogs don't belong to any breed.
it's weird you think they do.
>>
I want to find a stray kitten really bad and nurture it and become best buds. I normally see a decent amount of adult cats but during the winter I haven't seen any. Also too poor to afford pet care right now but hopefully in the future.

Is taking in a stray cat worse than just going to a shelter?
>>
Should a big dog wear a sweater outside when it is cold?
>>
>>2029020
>>2028979

The only way to tell for sure would be a DNA test, which I would highly suggest for a place with BSL. There are an abundance of mixed breeds that can look like pit bull type dogs and not have any APBT, AmStaff or Staff bull in it. Labeling by look has been proven to be extremely shitty and incorrect
>>
>>2029198
I can't be spoon fed everything so I'm assuming you're right and I'm wrong

I hope your dog shoots you

>>2029206
Just like almost any law, it depends on the state. Many states will say you are the owner of an animal once you have taken care of that animal for 2 weeks. HOWEVER, keep in mind that once you are the owner, that means you have to foot medical bills, feed the animal, give proper shelter etc. You can't pin blame on the previous owner for not taking care of medical expenses, because you have been caring for the animal long enough to own it and it's now dependent on you. People like the idea of being able to legally own an animal so fast, but it actually usually fucks people over.
>>
>>2029647
That means the de-wormer is working, but bring it to a vet because that sounds like a serious case of worms, and you'll want to continue worming treatment until you don't see any worms. It's easy to OD a puppy, especially going for multiple treatments, so see if the doc can give you something lighter
>>
>>>>2030943
If your dog's neck is as big as it's head, or close enough, then the collar will either always be in danger of slipping off, or it would actively be choking the dog. In a case like that, I'd suggest a harness that is difficult to get out of for walks. Just make sure it is a harness that will also allow you to clip to the collar. Otherwise, if that isn't the case with your dog, 2 finger rule should work. Maybe your collar is old and loosens up?

>>2031108
The continuous licking and drooling combo sounds like she is nervous of something, which could explain the pissing too. Has there been any changes recently that might scare her? Things outside like other cats or dogs or wildlife could also freak cats out

>>2031382
Aquariums aren't good ventilation for many rodents and birds. Not necessarily abuse

>>2031650
Sounds more like conjunctivitis but it's really impossible to tell online. Can't help you any further, sorry. Maybe call around to see if there are any cheap vets or vets that will od payment plans. Sounds like she would need some kind of eye drop or ointment though. Have you looked up breed related health problems also (not that it can't be something that isn't breed related; conjunctivitis for instance can occur in all breeds)

>>2034387
Well, it's not unhappy

>>2035898
I think you should ask your brother what he does and how he uses the crate.

>>2037382
You should take her to a vet and explain the situation. Don't know what she came in contact with, like ringworm or distemper etc. What shots did the shelter give, and was the distemper an initial shot or a booster? You should have your cat UTD on shots yearly anyways. Rabies is usually good after the one year, but distemper should be done every year. If you want to be cheap and risky, every year for 5 years gives you a decent chance.

>>2037670
>>2037872
It's better to be safe than sorry. I'd take it with a grain of salt though and still do a slow introduction
>>
>>2038288
Oscar, and 80g to start.

>>2039007
It's a Spurdo

>>2039204
You want to take care of kittens but don't have the money for it. This screams 'foster' to me. With fosters. you get to take care of orphan kitties and all your supplies should be offerend by the organization you are fostering from, and you give them back once ready for adoption. Not financial strain on you. Look for a shelter or rescue you can foster for, but make sure you ask important questions like if you can return the fosters at any time, if you have to adopt them out yourself (which is NOT good), and most importantly, if they will be providing you all the equipment and supplies you need. Kitten season is at a dead end in most of the US though, you picked a shitty time to decide to do this.

If you are too poor to actually care for a cat, I would not suggest you take one from outside and try to care for it though. It will end badly, and with a lot of heartbreak.

>>2037826
I don't know about online, but I knew someone who got all kinds of mice dirt cheap from a lab. The healthy control mice, rats, rabbits, etc also have to be euthanized at the end of experiments, so they sell them off
>>
>>2039127
Except I never said they belonged to a breed? I said few breeders use wolves and dogs don't have recent wolf unless they're hybrids. Nothing about any of that is indicating that most dogs belong to a certain breed. Not all breeders breed purebred dogs.

And although male wolves will remain fertile all year long, their courting behaviors tend to line up with female wolf heat cycles. They can line up with a dog's heat cycle to a lesser degree, of course, but it's still not as easy to get a male wolf to mate with a female dog as it is to mate a male dog to a female dog.
>>
>>2039295
>I think you should ask your brother what he does and how he uses the crate.
He shouts at the dog, throws something at the crate or goes into it and bites its ear. I'm not going to do that.
>>
Kitten got spayed yesterday. She's acting like nothing happened, and is running around and jumping. Is it normal for them to recover this quickly?
>>
>>2031798
>has no idea how to draw
>buys nice paper

yep
>>
What to do if you meet a bear or wolf in the woods and they don't run off?
>>
My cattle x Collie is still chasing dogs at the park when they get their balls thrown. Whenever she nips at their necks I pin her and growl and leave her pinned for a minute or so. Then I hold her by the collar until I feel comfortable letting her off. Is thjs going to eventually get her out of this habit?
>>
>>2041627
>ask yourself: where is your God now?
>>
>>2041627
Single wolf? You're fine. You could even chase it off if you wanted.

Black bear, make a bunch of noise while slowly moving away.

Grizzly... well, this is why you don't go hiking in grizzly territory without bear spray. Stand still, don't do anything, if bear charges use the spray, cross fingers and hope.
Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.