[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Underrated dog breeds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (272 KB, 750x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272 KB, 750x343
Post dog breeds you think deserve more attention- pic related the greatest of the Belgian sheepdogs
>>
>>2027671
Mutts are by far the most underrated dogs. No exceptions.
>>
File: Scottish-Terrier.jpg (15 KB, 645x430) Image search: [Google]
Scottish-Terrier.jpg
15 KB, 645x430
So cute and I normally don't like small dogs.
>>
>>2027692
Mutts are awesome, but they aren't always better. My own dog is a bully and lab mix and she's starting to show health problems at a year and a half. Her knees point away from her body and she has a very pronounced limp caused by this when she jogs. Her back end also seems higher than her shoulders, her eyes are sort of cross eyed/go opposite directioms slightly, and Im pretty sure her sense of smell is crap.

Don't get deluded by that old myth of mutts being healthier. Well bred dogs are healthy, purebred or otherwise.
>>
>>2027711
I agree with you here. I grew up with a lab/Basset hound/chow mix, and it's amazing that he lived to be 17. He had back issues so bad that he could barely walk after ~15, and had at least 5 different cases of tumors throughout his life. He was dumb as a box of rockstoo, but he was really sweet and lovable.
>>
>>2027711
purebred is by definition poorbred.
>>
>>2027718
Purebred -should- just mean a specific breed for a specific purpose, and a dog that when paired with another dog of that same breed will produce more of it. But like everything in life, things rarely stay in the same state that it was originally created for.
>>
>>2027722
Which is why "purebred" is a stupid name. Out crossing dog breeds should not disqualify the offspring if they still look and act like the breed should.
>>
>>2027726
Ya I don't know much about that stuff.
>>
>>2027726
The issue is that the offspring would bring in a lot of different genes into the mix and wouldn't necessarily breed true, therefore they aren't part of the breed. In order to qualify, the dog would have to be able to produce offspring that also invariably (excepting mutations or whatever) conform to the breed's basic specifications.

A husky/gsd mix might end up looking like a Czechoslovakian wolfdog, but you can't guarantee that its offspring would.
>>
>>2027743
Yes, but an occasional cross in brought 2 generations of less valuable but healthy "mutts" as you breed back in is better than ending up with hemophiliac dogs or something else that is just bad for the animal and severely reduces their desirability.
>>
File: German-Spitz.jpg (113 KB, 800x1051) Image search: [Google]
German-Spitz.jpg
113 KB, 800x1051
German Spitz.
>>
File: first.jpg (98 KB, 600x472) Image search: [Google]
first.jpg
98 KB, 600x472
http://www.airedale.org/versatile.php

I rarely see them around my area, but they are pretty cool dogs when raised right. Little nippy when young, bit that can be taught out.

Friend of the family always had these dogs and I love playing with the female one when I was little. She was hyper but always a super sweet dog.
>>
File: briard.jpg (212 KB, 860x645) Image search: [Google]
briard.jpg
212 KB, 860x645
Briard
>>
>>2027768
Inferior to its big cousin the sammy imo
>>
>>2027901
At least people know what Samoyeds are; everyone just calls my German Spitz a giant/poorly bred Pom.
>>
File: image.jpg (1019 KB, 1161x1064) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1019 KB, 1161x1064
>>2027671
Keeshonden.
I'm surprised these guys aren't more popular. They just have all-around pretty good temperaments for the average person, I think. And they've got the spitz look without the shit temperament that usually comes with it.
>>
>>2027692
Mutts aren't underrated. Every other person on this website talks about them. Every other person I meet or talk to owns a mutt or likes them.
>>
>>2028026
I REALLY want to get a Keeshond, but there's absolutely no breeders anywhere near me.
It really kinda sucks because after doing a bunch of research, Keeshonden would be the perfect breed for me and the kind I would be able to give the most attention to.
>>
>>2028061
Same here. I was looking at breeders, but I can't find any that aren't 400+ miles away and out of state. Even then, they aren't outstanding breeders. I guess it's better than it being an extremely common breed and having hundreds of BYBs.
>>
>>2028064
Yeah, it's pretty lame. When people go for a spitz, they gravitate towards, like, a Pomeranian. Not saying Poms are BAD dogs, but the other kinds need love, too.
>>
>>2028022
cool dogs no denying, much cooler than poms. Also are american eskimos the same as jap spitz's?
>>2028026
keeshonds are pretty great, also eurasiers deserve a look in in the spitz categories- similar look to keeshond similar size to samoyed
>>
File: hDaM9Hw.gif (2 MB, 475x277) Image search: [Google]
hDaM9Hw.gif
2 MB, 475x277
I don't understand the hate so many people have for chihuahuas. If they're trained right, they can be awesome just like any other dog. And their small size means that they live forever.
>>
>>2027671
I really want a Groenendael. There's one I run into fairly regularly when I'm walking my own, and he's such a great dog. I love him.

They seem like great dogs.
>>
>>2028338
> If they're trained right
And only about one in two thousands chihuahua (and other shitty rat-sized breeds) is trained right.

>oh no, its okay, its just 2cute when he does that:))))
>its small teeth anyway, stop complaining, just look at the teeth on your mutt!!!11! bet he hurt you way more!!1
>pee pads
>>
>>2028343
Yeah, a lot of people spoil them, and they turn out to be terrible. Unfortunately this is what my mom has done to her dog. But I know a few chill ones. That's why I specifically said they're chill when trained right and treated like actual dogs rather than furry people-babies.
>>
>>2027711
Fucking same. My mutt went great till she was about 1 1/2, then suddenly BOTH her cruciate ligaments snap and because her legs were so badly angled the surgeries struggled to fix it. One leg went okay, the other is three surgeries later and so fucked up at this point that she's just on painkillers and having it as good as she can before the other leg goes again and she gets put down.
>>
>>2028343
>pee pads
So much this. If I wanted an animal that pissed and shit in my house, forcing me to deal with it, I would have got a cat.
>>
>>2028764
At least, cats can be trained to use the bathroom.
>>
>>2028766
too bad no one actually does it.

my neighbour scrapes a bucket of cat shit out of his garden every day.
>>
>>2028769
>cat shit
>garden
Quickest way to ruin a garden. That shit is toxic. Sounds like your neighbor should set out traps. (Unless it's against the law)
>>
>>2028338
Every one I have encountered has been a tiny sack of burning hatred for all living things, and then there always tards posting on youtube getting bitten and laughing it off.

It is the owners fault though, I'd like to meet a chill one some day.
>>
File: pup1.jpg (426 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
pup1.jpg
426 KB, 1024x708
Ready for less attention.
Literally, the more attention only brings for-profit-breeders.
Consider the Golden.
>>
>>2028964
My sister had a chihuahua that was the coolest little dog, friendly with everyone, listened when you told it something, never aggressive. But then it got run over. Then she got a new one after a while, and i guess she babied it too much, she's very over protective over this one. Now he hates everyone except her. Pure demon dog, swear the thing is possessed
>>
>>2027671
english bull mastiff and dogue de bordeux are so under rated, especially on this board. best dogs ive owned.
>>
>>2029585
love dogue de bordeaux's, but theyre so unhealthy ):
>>
>>2029599
yeah it is a shame whats happened to their breeding, i got mine from a farm (a big wheat and cows and sheep farm not a puppy farm) and it was in great shape, longer snout than ive seen on some and not as droopy.
gotta love anything that roars like a lion and whines like a wookie haha.
>>
>>2028066
Poms are also bred fucking awfully. At this point, they're mainly old person and teenage girl hype dogs. I'd say you'd have better luck finding a purebred Swedish Vallhund on Craigslist than finding a well-bred Pomeranian anywhere. They're great dogs when bred well *and* raised by people who didn't buy them because they're cute and small. That's maybe about <10% of Pomeranians, if even that. The rest are unsocialized yappy messes. Very cute, though.
>>2028338
See above, same applies for chihuahuas.
>>2028248
God damn, I wish keeshonden looked more like that. They sortof look like weird chow/Keeshond mixes.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 300x295) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 300x295
>German short haired pointer
>>2027706
Agreed
>>
this is my Litlle fellow Bjork, think its a mixed belgian shepeard , i think? but the other half i dont know, she was left on my front door with a few weeks, now shes 4 years :)
>>
>>2029855
another one from bjork
>>
>>2027711
Except your mutt is a crossbreeds, so not a real mutt.
>>
File: Swedish-Vallhund-Photos.jpg (65 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
Swedish-Vallhund-Photos.jpg
65 KB, 600x399
>>2027671
Swedish vallhund
>>
>>2029855
Doesn't look as if there's much Belgian shepherd in her imo
>>
>>2028026
used to have a keeshond/husky mix when i was younger. awesome dogs
>>
>>2029874
I hate anything that remotely looks like a dachshund. If someone handed me a dacshund and told me to kill it..I probably would with little hesitation. My boyfriend has one that pisses every where inside the house, refuses to go outside when its cold or wet and bites and attacks most dogs and people. It has such a dumb hateful face. Ive never wanted to harm something so much before.
>>
File: ToadlineBlueExoticBullyRanan.jpg (118 KB, 805x344) Image search: [Google]
ToadlineBlueExoticBullyRanan.jpg
118 KB, 805x344
>>2027692
Not all mutts

landrace mutts = good

Pariah dogs = good

Working mixes (lurchers, sled dogs, herding dogs, livestock guardians) = mostly good

Common mixes from generally healty dogs (the ones that were common before all those designer dog fads) = Okay

Outcross purebreeds to increase genetic diversity = okay

Designer dogs = you can always adopt almost any of the above

Exotic bullies = fuck no
>>
>>2027849
My psychiatrist has an Airedale.
>>
File: ACD-blue-spud.jpg (140 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
ACD-blue-spud.jpg
140 KB, 800x640
They're pretty popular in Australia, but here in the US I don't think many people know of them.
>>
>>2030910
I really want an ACD.

Can't because I don't have the time to keep him both physically and mentally occupied.
>>
>>2030801
Fuck yeah I hate those little cunts. My friend has 2, worst little shits. They are like that stereotypical sweet 16 girl who whinges about getting the wrong colour car for her birthday. The cunts will die young anyway, bet fed bacon every morning.
>>
File: noaa.jpg (454 KB, 2764x1843) Image search: [Google]
noaa.jpg
454 KB, 2764x1843
>>2030801
fuck you, my dog is adorable.
>>
File: Snapchat-1458076357278328449.jpg (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1458076357278328449.jpg
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>2030911
Mines acd x Collie mix. Popular in Australia too, best of both worlds :)
>>
>>2030910
I had two, both have died of old age and were excellent farmdogs. I'm American.
>>
>>2030910
We call it either ACD or Blue Heeler in Burgerstan. We also have the Red Heeler from the south.
>>
File: IMG_9322.jpg (3 MB, 4144x2642) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9322.jpg
3 MB, 4144x2642
Finnish Lapphund. Proper dogs, not toys. Good size (~49cm/18kg for males). Excellent with children. Good watch dogs but not excessive barkers. Not very needy in terms of affection without being too cold and distant. Excellent for cold climates but not good for warm climate due to their thick double-coat hair. Healthy, live for around 10-15 years with oldest dogs reaching close to 20 (seen one 21 year old in a magazine).
>>
File: TWCH.jpg (362 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
TWCH.jpg
362 KB, 1136x640
Treeing walker coonhounds. So smart and great /out/ dogs. Friendly, yet protective and large.
>>
File: sadassad.jpg (1 MB, 1116x1674) Image search: [Google]
sadassad.jpg
1 MB, 1116x1674
>>2031096

another pic, both are males
>>
>>2030801
that doesn't look like a dackel tho
>>
>>2029858
Looks like an off-standard but pure GSD, to be honest. I don't see any particular Malinois/Tervuren/Greonendael traits in her face/paws, but I do see a lot of GSD.
>>
>>2030877
My psychiatrist has an Irish Wolfhound.
>>
>>2031110
>Looks like an off-standard but pure GSD
>I do see a lot of GSD

Have you ever seen a gsd? Are you from another planet or something?
>>
>>2030910
I have seen lots of them here in Mexico, people usually refers to them as "australian shepherds"
>>
>>2027706
i agree! i have a westie
>>
>>2030910
Ugh my sister had one that they had to give to her husband's mom who lived on a farm in Arkansas. It would "protect" her by lunging at people. I guess one day at a party her friend got close to her to look at a necklace she had and it snapped at her friend. She blamed her friend and not the badly trained dog, of course.
>>
>>2031163
Australian shepherds are a different breed too, super awsome.
>>
>>2027706
An old guy who lives down the road from me used to have a Scottie. Lovely little dog. It and my Cairn were best buds.
>>
>>2029793
>They sortof look like weird chow/Keeshond mixes
that's actually what they are pretty much, chow/keeshond/samoyed mix.
>>
>>2028026
cool dogs

I have a Keeshond/Sheltie mix. Best dog I've ever had.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.