[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TL:DR - How to keep a cat from peeing out of the litter box.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 9764~01.jpg (99 KB, 900x803) Image search: [Google]
9764~01.jpg
99 KB, 900x803
TL:DR - How to keep a cat from peeing out of the litter box.

Hey /an/,

Can you help me with my cats? For a few months now, my white cat has been peeing places she shouldn't. At first I thought it was a medical thing, and after two trips to the vet, I found out she has crystals in her urine and started associating litter boxes with pain.

However, she has gotten better, and after some new food from the vet, she's been using a new litter box every now and again, but still continues to pee behind a trashcan or between couch cushions. Is there something I'm not noticing? A behavioral thing? Does anyone know of any home remedies for training her again? My wife is saying that if I can't get the cat trained soon, its off to the pound.

I'd hate to have to give her away if its something that can be avoided or bettered.

t. An anon who doesn't want to lose his kitty.
>>
Seriously smack her on the rump when you see her or rub nose in it. Seems cruel but she won't do it again. I don't mean a hard smack. Just a quick hard tap that will scare the shit out of her.
>>
>>2027398
Ignore this idiot.
You simply need to retrain your cat. Waiting months to take your cat to the vet made the problem much worse. Can you keep your cat in a bathroom with a box for a week or so?
>>
>>2027401
Be a pussy all you want. That's the quickest way. Otherwise put her up for adoption.
>>
>>2027401
If wouldn't be impossible.

Part of me thinks its a territorial thing. Both my cats are littermates, and the white one never looks comfortable when the other is around.

Shit. How do you get cats to like each other? Force them to stay close to one another?
>>
>>2027387
Maybe try a different kind of litter? I think the most different kind of litter available is biodegradable stuff, basically recycled wood pulp. She might not associated that stuff with pain like the normal cat litters.
>>
Do you have more than one litter box? If you have multiple cats it's recommended to have one box per cat plus one extra and if you have a multifloor home at least one box per floor. If the other cat is pestering the other while its trying to eliminate it could be why it's not always using the box. More boxes solves this problem because if one cat uses one box the other cat can use the other.
>>
>>2027417
This is a good idea.

>>2027411
It's probably not territorial, just a habit she formed and hasn't had reason to kick yet (or maybe the crystal issue hasn't fully resolved). But as for how to "make cats like each other" - what you wanna do is get them to associate being around the other cat with good things happening. Treats, playtime, dinner. Play with/feed them in each other's presence.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.