[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice for a career in marine biology ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 964x631) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 964x631
I was gonna start a bio degree in the puget sound and want to hear some input. Thanks
>>
let me guess, you're 17 and a woman?
>>
>>2027229
No im a 16 year old polyamorus demisexual genderqueer orcakin
>>
>>2027227
Questions you should ask yourself:
>Why do you want to do this?
>Are you really good at academic coursework (especially science and math)?
>Are you prepared to study long hours in school and work long hours after graduating?
>Do you enjoy lots of physical labor while outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions?
>Do you get easily frustrated?
>If no to the above, still think you can be zen while dealing with the bureaucratic red tape surrounding funding and permitting?
>Will you still enjoy your low-paying marine biology job 8 years into your career?
These questions brought to you by a biologist-anon of the terrestrial sort.
>>
a biology degree is easy to get
that's why a biology career is almost impossible to get.
>>
>>2027340
Can confirm, I barely study and only have 2 classes to end my degree. Also biology degree is shit for someone who wants to go into wildlife, a lot of shit classes (biochemistry, molecular biology, organic chemistry...)

I say this as a wildlife guy myself.
>>
>>2027227
>posts an aligator
>MARINE bio
Start by learning freshwater =/= marine
>>
Biology degrees vary wildly depending on institution, some places you will never talk a math beyond statistics and trigonometry or a single physics class. Bio is typically a joke degree at those places. Schools that have a biology program that isn't lolpremed will have you take at least calc 2 and a semester or two of algebra based physics. At my school, other than two english classes(research writing and speech) and one humanities(I took logic) every other academic class is a science or a math for the entire four years. Oh biology as has the largest drop of percentage of any degree. There are few classes that are hard, the issue is more having 4 challenging classes as semester....rather than 1 hard as fuck class and 3 classes you just show up for, looking at you physics.
>>
>>2027342
What would be a better alternative than?
>>
>>2027547
Wildlife Ecology and Conservation if you want a job related to such. (Not the same poster, but I have a zoology degree and minor in wec)
>>
OP check out the Evergreen State College! I'm doing marine science and there's a buttload of internships.
>>
>>2027349

Gosh, that's a handsome older alligator, though.
>>
>>2027349
>Start by learning freshwater =/= marine
gators often hang in brackish and saltwater.

traditionally they belong to herpetologists tho.
>>
>>2027227
>>>/adv/
>>
>>2027227
Prepare for anal Remington for undergrad course work.
>>
>>2027588
Would a major in bio with an minor in conservation work? Or would i want to go zoology. Sorry i'm really not well versed in how the schooling system works. But i plan on talking to a lot of counselors
>>
>>2027828
Thank you ! I heard about them. Is Univeristy of Washington any good? I heard they are a good science school.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.