[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >never had a gsd >go to shelter >find a gsd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1437252516200.jpg (33 KB, 625x425) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1437252516200.jpg
33 KB, 625x425
>be me
>never had a gsd
>go to shelter
>find a gsd puppy
>is about 4 weeks old
>they say someone dropped it at their doorstep in a box
>is the cutest thing in the world
>keeps looking at me
>wanna take it home
>go home to think
>read online about gsds
>read about hip dispasia
>worried if the pup might have it
>poor so can't afford fixing it if it has it
>what do?
>>
>>2026605
Turn him in to your regional GSD rescue.
>>
>>2026605
>4 weeks old
nice b8
>>
>>2026605
You can save up money now before he has signs. Unfortunately GSDs are bred to shit so it won't be too uncommon if he gets hip disorder. But he isn't even 2 months old yet, and hip disorders generally don't show signs until at least a few years of age. Set a fund aside just for medical emergencies now, and you can dip into it if something ever happens. I understand fixing a bad hip is a lot of money to suddenly pour into. While you may have cash for the food, toys, treats, training, yearly vet visits, vaccines etc, dumping a couple grand on a pup does seem like a lot. Just set up a budget in case it does come up; you have years to create a decent fund.
>>
>poor

Don't adopt any dog.
>>
Well, you could set aside a fund like that one anon said, but if he gets it in both?hips he could end up costing you upwards of 10 k.

Couple other options would be adopting an older german shepherd from the shelter, getting good pet insurance, or getting a credit card.
>>
>>2026670
It doesn't take that much to pay for a dog man. Most expensive thing I had to do with my dog so far was get them fixed.

Besides, credit cards are a thing, or just borrowing some money if there's an emergency.
>>2026628
The shelter won't adopt it out till its 8weeks, what are you goin on about?
>>
>>2026666
>>2026716
Thanks. Also what about the fact that he's like 4 weeks old? He seems pretty nice but I worry that he might be fucked up mentally due to the lack of time spent with his mother and siblings.
>>
>>2026727
If you go through with getting him, you'll want to enroll him in puppy training courses after he's had all his booster shots, and get him in a good doggy day care. This will get him socialized with other dogs and people and he'll learn to play nice and not be afraid of the world.

When he's at home, take him out in public and get him very socialized with lots of different experiences, though keep his limits in mind he's still a puppy.

This is what you have to do for a dog this young, so if you don't have the funds, get an older one. The hassle will also be less because you won't have to go through the puppy stage and be there constantly.
>>
>>2026727
are you sure it's 4 weeks and not 4 months? Are you sure the dog is available at 4 weeks? Across the US it is illegal to sell animals under 6 weeks or until weaned, and a 4 week old dog wouldn't be weaned. Look up how to care for an orphaned 4 week old dog. Training and socialization will be key. You may notice your dog will have less of a bite inhibition and be a lot more rowdy and rough than other dogs
>>
A 4 week old pure GSD dumped at a shelter. Rather unlikely.
>>
>>2026753
not really. ours had a whole litter of them two months ago
>>
>>2026739
>>2026749
Can you provide some diy training guide thing or something? That'd be really really great
>>
>>2027378
Just get some puppy books, stuff from Ian Dunbar or a similar trainer. Look up YouTube vids.
>>2026749
The shelter won't put it up for adoption till it's 8 weeks but OP can start applying for the dog now.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.