[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is this?!?!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 285x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 285x380
Some guy posted this in a FB group I'm in. He claims it's a giant pole bean (green bean).

Obviously, it's not.

I think it's some kind of immature loofa gourd.
Thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 285x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 285x380
See the flat ridges?

Here is the site-
>http://robsrareandgiantseeds.com
>>
>>2025648
looks like okra to me
>>
File: image.jpg (728 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
728 KB, 1536x2048
More photos.
The guy with the website is pretty butthurt. I very politely asked a few questions, and asked if he had more pics. He basically called me a troll.

Do the leaves in this pic look like pole break leaves? Because they don't look like single, oval pointed phaseolus leaves to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 528x545) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 528x545
A close up of one of the leaves.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 440x587) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 440x587
Phaseolus leaves.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 242x242) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 242x242
Flower.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 300x228
Phaseolus flower.
>>
Anyone?!?!
I would even accept bugguys help here. Now this guy wants to be "friends". The whole thing has an off vibe.
>>
>>2025688
Why? Do you think he wants to sell drugs?
>>
>>2025691
No. But I think he is being dishonest.
If you catch someone being dishonest and they imediatly try to FB friend you, I would say that should throw up a few red flags.
>>
Obvious Canavalia is obvious.
>>2025691
it's actually a drug.
>>
>>2025748
also it's ensiformis.

I hope no one eats these beans without boiling them properly unless they want to die.
>>
File: canavalia.jpg (109 KB, 457x305) Image search: [Google]
canavalia.jpg
109 KB, 457x305
>>2025661
it only looks like that when they're limp because they grow in clusters of 3.
>>
>>2025754
>>2025750
>>2025748
*sigh* Thank you Bugguy.

Now would someone email this yahoo and let him know he is selling a poison in the guise of a pole bean?
My emails would be ignored or dismissed outright.
>>
he will probably eat some before selling them. he dead problem solved
>>
>>2025878
Apparently not. He kept insisting that they were common garden beans (pole beans, green beans, snap beans). I asked what the Latin name was and he didn't know. I asked specifically if they were phaseolus, to which he never replied.

This guy is dangerously ignorant.
>>
>>2025873
he mentions they're toxic in the description on his website.

not that anyone's going to read that after seeing the first sentence.
>>
>>2025884
he's going to end up poisoning people, maybe even killing them if they eat enough of them.

> Because of this, the boiling water should be drained off to remove any poisonous substances coming from the beans.
that isn't enough to remove the toxins, and even if you do remove them they should never be eaten in large quantities.
>>
>>2025886
It was way at the bottom of the description. I still think this guy is misrepresenting what he is selling.
>>
>>2025888
I think I should report this guy, but to who? Who regulates seed sales in the US? The department of agriculture maybe?
>>
>>2025891
I quit reading after
>Hi ya'l, ..here's one i bet ya'l having seen before-its my Giant Pole Beans-taste like a good ole bean but Bigger.

and only found out because of ctrl+f

it's a fast growing plant that has a lot of peas, the reason it's not commercially grown which he fails to realize is because it can't be commercially eaten.

it's a bean in the same way that Atropa belladonna is a tomato, but good luck using them in the same way.
>>
>>2025893
I don't think selling seeds of this species is illegal.

it's illegal to mislable or provide false information on products in my country though, I don't know how it works there but that's certainly no 'giant pole bean'
>>
>>2025901
It is not illegal to sell seeds of poisonous plants (or seeds that are poisonous). Castor beans are commonly sold by seed companies. But if I sell castor beans as pole beans there would most likely be a problem.
>>
>>2025904
so report it anonymously, what do you have to lose.

they're not 'rare' either.
>>
Hello officer, there this man who's selling poisonous beans as food
>>
>>2025915
the best way would be to ruin his life and chance of getting a job in the future by mailing the local newspaper with a story about 'local man sells hallucinogenic, toxic plant as harmless bean'
>>
from his facebook.

Japanese are embracing the giant bean, or (nata mame), in everything from tea to toothpaste,soap, bath powder, and health drinks,. Its claim to fame is its ability to stop bad breath, and also a good-luck charm, but the giant bean's credits (in japan)include preventing pneumonia, strengthening the immune system, reducing diabetes risk and relieving hay fever.

jesus christ he's going to kill people.
>>
>>2025943
>Using the Japanese as an indicator of anything.
Is he going to sell live octopuses for consumption next?
>>
He took the description directly from wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canavalia_ensiformis
>>
>>2025955
he might as well.

he's going to pull a Qin Shi Huang 2.0.
>>
>>2025969
makes you wonder if he really didn't know the binomial nomenclature.
>>
>>2025648
eat it and tell us what it tastes like
>>
>>2025979
>didn't read thread
>>
>>2026037
fucking eat it
>>
I sent an email to the Tenneessee Department of Agriculture.

To whom it may concern,
Yesterday I was in a Facebook group called A********* A********. A man named Robert Graves posted pics of a plant he called simply "giant pole beans". He listed a link to his website where he sells vegetable seeds online (http://robsrareandgiantseeds.com). I asked Robert politely if he knew the Latin name for this seed because the pics in no way resemble regular garden beans (phaseolus vulgaris). He claimed to not know the Latin name for the seed in question, and was insulted when I said I did not believe the seed was for garden beans. I suggested these beans were actually Canavalia Ensiformis.
Robert then erased his posts and blocked me, but not before I saw his Facebook page (where he promotes his website). On his page he has a description for this bean, lifted word for word from the Wikipedia page for Canavalia Ensiformis.
https://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCanavalia_ensiformis

This man is knowingly selling a toxic seed as the common garden bean. When asked about it he flat out lied. I am very concerned that the actions of Robert Graves is endangering the health of others, never mind that he is being blatantly dishonest.

If someone could look into this I would be very grateful. Contacting the admins for the FB group A********* A******** would back up my claims.

Thank you for your time,
>>
>>2026066
Obviously, I hid some of my personal info for this post.
>>
>>2026067
it takes 2 google searches to find it.
>>
>>2026069
Bullshit.
You have been helpful so far, don't go into troll mode on me now.
>>
>>2026071
ok mark.
>>
>>2026072
Not even close.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.