[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /an/, Went out today and bought a Campbell's Dwarf Hamster
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
File: campbells-russian-hamster.jpg (19 KB, 400x257) Image search: [Google]
campbells-russian-hamster.jpg
19 KB, 400x257
Hi /an/,

Went out today and bought a Campbell's Dwarf Hamster (aka Russian Dwarf Hamster).

The little guy seems tame as anything, he's only young(ish) and was bought from a commercial pet store.

I've read online that you should be quiet and leave the guy alone for a day until he settles in, but from the word go he was running around his cage, peering out at us, really doesn't seem timid or shy at all.

My big worry is him getting wet tail or something if we handle him too soon, a few members of the family are just peering and watching, will this be an issue or is it possible for the little guy to be easy from like a few minutes of settling in?

Also, Phodopus general I guess...
>>
>>2024742
Just give him a couple hours, he'll most likely be fine if he isn't too stressed out. Pet store hamster temperaments vary so greatly that you really don't know how they're gonna react.
Can I ask what you're keeping him in and what size wheel he has? Just checking, since maybe only 10-20% of hamsters are in appropriately sized cages.
>>
>>2024745
It's a two storey plastic tank/ cage combo (50/50 transparent plastic and metal grill), total floor (ground and first floors) space I'd say is about 3-4 sq. ft. (4000 cm sq.) which I've read should be enough?

The wheel is around 15cm diameter (6"), by the looks of it he can run just fine without arching his back any.

At the minute he's just sleeping and occasionally rooting around finding more paper for his nest and drinking water, he seems pretty content, fed him a little bit of cucumber before which he had no problem taking from me.
>>
>>2024750
Yep, that's more than enough. Good job OP. Just give him a few hours; he sounds like he'll be fine if you handle him then. If you're still concerned about it, maybe let him crawl into his hand on your own if he's willing.
>>
>>2024752
Thanks for the input!

I guess it's only a small critter but it annoys me folks just buying animals without any prior research and ending up with them suffering.
>>
File: 14578967546.jpg (16 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
14578967546.jpg
16 KB, 400x300
>>2024750
Image of said cage?
Sounds like those small cages every pet store has...thats not enough space for a little guy even if he a dwarf hamster. Hamsters dont really need multiple floors just one large floor space is enough (360 sq ft should be the bare minimum, but bigger is better)
Here's a site with lots of info: HamsterHideout.com
>>
>>2024791
360 square feet is bigger than my house. That hamster has enough space; 3 or 4 square feet is more than enough.
>>
>>2024793
Whoops on my part, I meant inches.
>>
File: blue 2 storey-001.jpg (104 KB, 800x794) Image search: [Google]
blue 2 storey-001.jpg
104 KB, 800x794
>>2024791
It's pretty much this one, give or take a few minor aesthetic details.

From the various websites I've looked at it measures good enough for a Campbell's...

Push comes to shove I can buy another module and attach it on...
>>
>>2024742

If your hamster is exploring, sleeping, eating and drinking as you would expect then I see no reason why you should be worried. Just make sure you introduce yourself gradually and you should be fine
>>
File: Yc_8OQ3a.jpg (203 KB, 1459x1459) Image search: [Google]
Yc_8OQ3a.jpg
203 KB, 1459x1459
>>2024791
> 360 sq ft should be the bare minimum
> for a hamster
> a dwarf hamster
>>
File: 324759982.jpg (60 KB, 390x520) Image search: [Google]
324759982.jpg
60 KB, 390x520
>>2024824
You're looking for measurements for hamsters in general not just dwarfs. Just because they're small doesnt mean they should be kept in a small space ):
I put my boys in bin cages pic related.
Its more space and definitely affordable.
Here's an example from Target
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-ultra-116-qt-clear-storage-tote-clear-with-gray-lid/-/A-14757117#prodSlot=_1_20
Measuring this one equals by its length and width to 660 sq inches of floor space. And its only under $14. When the average cage at petstore will fetch for $20+
There are other owners who use detolfs from ikea or bookcases and make them into cages for their hamsters. Its something I myself will be looking into soon enough.

Seriously take a look at hamsterhideout you'll find everything you need to know. If not you ask in the forums about it, its not a bunch of kids on these forums there are adults there too who can help.
>>
>>2024986
I meant inches..
>>
>>2024991
I still think OP's cage is pretty decent. Plus, as he said, you can add modules and tubes to it.
>>
>>2024991
These are a terrible idea and youre a terrible pet owner, cages are best because they allow air flow more freely, totes and aquariums are terrible because they create a space of stagnant air.
>>
>>2025069
kek. Every informed hamster owner has a bin cage / aquarium / detolf cage. There are no hamster cages that are anywhere near big enough even for a dwarf hamster.

Also airflow issues only become a problem with glass cages if you do not properly clean the cage on a regular basis.
>>
>>2025088
Airflow is always a problem, you can validate your bins all you want, theyre still terrible for hamsters.
>>
File: 180761076.jpg (15 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
180761076.jpg
15 KB, 300x225
>>2025069
You can add windows for airflow..I'm not going to put my my boys in tiny cages.
>>
>>2025090
Not to mention they look ghetto as fuck.
>>
>>2025141
Those that disregard the necessity for a clean draft of air are the same kind of people that use pronged collars on dogs, and "own" outdoor cats.
>>
>>2025145
So is adding windows for air flow still is just as bad as not putting in windows??
I'm sorry but we all cant have good sized cages like they have in the UK. Their bare minimum differs than the US. However National geographic seems to be heading in the right direction, its a little bigger than the average size of other cages here.
>>2025090
Instead of just saying its still terrible, explain why.
>>
>>2025145
Those that disregard their pet's need for appropriate cage space simply because they're too lazy to build a customized cage with wire windows for air flow are fucking retarded.

ANYONE who knows anything about hamsters will tell you pet-store bought cages are shit and making your own is preferable.
>>
Don't forget, the animal that lives in tight burrows needs to be in a fully screened environment in a wind tunnel or it won't have enough air and will die.
>>
>>2025045
Its nothing but a glorified travel cage, its not great for permanent housing. Although op could connect it to bin. I have two habitrail cages I keep just in case I need to travel with them like say a vet visit or limit their movement (like for a broken leg)
>>
>>2025163
There's no difference between the "bin" pictured in this thread and OP's cage other than OP's cage is divided into two storeys, looks to me like they have similar floor space, if anything, the hamster should prefer this as it more closely mimics the compartments within it's burrow.
>>
>>2025166
The difference is size.. I dont know how you can not see that. The bare minimum of cages in the US are the size of a 10 gallon tank yet else where its 20 gallons+
>>
>>2025171
OP here, my cage is approx. 26 gallons (120 litre).
Dimensions are 50cm x 40cm x 30cm per level, I have two levels, therefore 120000 cubic centimetres, or approx. 26 imperial gallons.
>>
>>2025174
Which is the length and width?
>>
>>2025174
Length x Width x Height
>>
>>2025176
Going by just length and width. (19 inches x15 inches) That would be 285 sq inches of floor space..too small :c
>>
>>2024742
Another hamsteranon here, having trouble taming my Syrian, she comes out, roots around, bites and nibbles my hand then just goes back to bed, disregarding the treat on my hand.

Done all the right stuff, washed hands with non-scented soap, laying my hand flat, being quiet.

What do..
>>
It's a fucking hamster. They live in burrows. Do you know how much airflow there is in a fucking burrow? NONE. Because it's UNDERGROUND. You animal perfectionist people are something fucking else. You're the same people that throw a fit if a betta fish is in anything less than a 20 gallon tank, that don't clip their birds wings, that think cats shouldn't be allowed to even step one paw outside and that take their dogs to dog parks. Get off your high horse already.
>>
>>2025193
Maybe you just have a shitty hamster
>>
>>2025213
Tunnel networks are a lot more extensive than a plastic bin, and have designated latrine areas that are separate from the living sections. Bins are fine as long as they're kept clean, but not because you can draw a bullshit half-assed parallel to some marginal aspect of the nature of the animal.
>>
>>2025193
She probably doesnt trust you yet. Syrians are a lot more friendly off the bat than other hamsters. But of course every hamster is different.
Have you tried bathtub bonding yet? Taking a towel and pillow gor your comfort to sit in the tub. Using treats like sunflower seeds sit with hamster for 10-15 minutes once everday. Let her explore around you while you talk to her. Depending on her personality she might warm up to you quickl or slowly.
This may work for you. I had a girl who was nippy in her cage but not outside of it. That was because her home was small.
>>
they are very social i had one and he got depressed and stayed in his box all day only coming out to eat, since he is used to playing with other he might be trying to entertain him/her self
>>
>>2024742
>everyone ignoring the fact that OP can easily add onto these cages infinitely
Must be cruel to give a burrowing animal tubes to separate areas instead of a boring fucking bin.
>>
File: 10-1.jpg (71 KB, 1007x487) Image search: [Google]
10-1.jpg
71 KB, 1007x487
>>2025604
I beg to differ.
>>
>>2025634
That's not a bin cage. it's also probably at least a dozen times more expensive than one.
>>
>>2025678
Yes I know, you can use a christmas tree bin to get the same effect. Those are around $30. Display cases (detlof) are around $70 from Ikea.
Its not that expensive.
>>
>>2025690
How much did everything inside of it and building a custom top to it cost? Plus, not everybody wants a fucking hamster zoo in their house. That's absurdly huge.
>>
>>2025634
> all that work for a hamster
>>
>>2025694
People do the same shit for fish
>>
>>2025693
Only serious owners do this for their hamsters not kids unless they had the money of course. As for the cost of everything inside I wouldn't know.
>>
>>2025705
The difference is fish can be mildly interesting to watch. Plus they live longer than 2 years.
>>
File: d9d71mb.jpg (104 KB, 1023x578) Image search: [Google]
d9d71mb.jpg
104 KB, 1023x578
>>2025796
That is not a good reason to limit their space.
>>
>>2025796

>interesting
Subjective.
>live longer than 2 years
Subjective.

Shrimp are the best anyways.
Hamsters are close runner ups.
>>
File: 135647784.png (600 KB, 1135x698) Image search: [Google]
135647784.png
600 KB, 1135x698
>>2025796
>>
>>2025694

Burrowing rodents thrive in environments like that. It helps keep them happy, which helps them stay healthier for longer. y'know before they hit the quality of life wall and everything goes to shit and they die horribly.
>>
>>2025634
How do you clean it?
>>
>>2026347
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo44ombbC6k
>>
>>2026040
>>live longer than 2 years
>Subjective.
how
>>
>>2026409
Well if you're lucky they can live up to 3-4 years.
But usually around late into their first year or late in their second year things can go down hill real fast.
>>
>>2026404

A rat or a mouse would clear that thing easily. Are dwarf hamsters less inquisitive/curious and just generally less likely to make daring escape attempts?
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 525x503) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 525x503
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBiKfY0Y-VY

What's going on with this hamster?
>>
>>2026979
Not built for climbing and jumping like rats and mice. They're pretty different animals. My hamster has trouble clearing the even 4 inches of wire below the cage door.
>>
>>2027188
Its called star gazing, a behavior that causes the hamster to stand on their hind legs, gaze upward (toward the stars) and either flip over or fall on their back; this behavior is often repeated and is compulsive and involuntary, meaning they cannot control this behavior.

More info here: http://dashinghamsters.blogspot.com/2011/12/star-gazing.html
>>
>>2027202
He's also probably bored out of his mind and neurotic from being in a shitty pet store tank.
>>
>>2027204
That is another cause of stargazing.
>>
Might as well ask here. How do you find reputable hamster breeders? I've learned, first-hand, that buying from a pet store can be risky business. Is there somewhere online they all congregate, or is it just a, buy from a pet store and hope for the best, kind of deal?
>>
>>2027471
Making an online search about it is a good idea.
Personally I buy from pet stores and adopt via craigslist in my area. I only bought a hamster from a breeder in NJ a few years ago but I dont remember what they were called. I do remember I spent $30 on the little guy. There's also the humane society or animal shelters in your area. You can call up and ask if there are any hamsters available for adoption.
I'm from NY and there isnt any many hamster breeders in my state. The only two breeders who I'm aware of are from Canada. Pipsqueakery and Strong Brew Hamstery they both are from hamsterhideout and have web sites, facebook pages, instagrams and tumblrs too.
>>
>>2027603
It is proving to be more than a little difficult, but thanks for the answer, anyway. I live in the Midwest, which heavily complicates things.
>>
>>2026040
Lifespans aren't subjective, moron.
>>
File: 360sqft.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
360sqft.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
>>2024793
>360 square feet is bigger than my house
I can tell if you're joking or if just nobody on this site knows how measurements work.
>>
File: 1391894497593.jpg (47 KB, 501x468) Image search: [Google]
1391894497593.jpg
47 KB, 501x468
>>2028155
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.