[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things that make you cringe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9
File: angry chicken.jpg (89 KB, 1095x730) Image search: [Google]
angry chicken.jpg
89 KB, 1095x730
>people who think anteaters and aardvarks are related
>people who call anteaters aardvarks and vice-versa
>people who think lyrebirds and peafowls are related
>people who think cranes, herons and egrets are the same thing
>people who think parrots, toucans and hornbills are related
>people who think vultures are birds of prey
>people who call any bird a chicken or a pigeon
>people who think dogs are literally domesticated wolves
>people who think penguins only live in snow
>people who think who think turkeys, ducks, quails, geese and chickens can't fly
>people who think beef is superior to ostrich
>>
You might be confusing "domesticated" with "tamed" on the dog issue. Isn't it believed that dogs were domesticated from the gray wolf?
>>
>>2023960
They were, but i'm talking about people who think they're literally the same species or almost the same thing, but with one being ferocious and the other being cute and friendly, kind of like the red junglefowl and the domestic chicken.
>>
My area has a lot of vultures during the spring and summer. All of my friends think they're hawks or eagles.

>i cri evrytiem
>>
When people think a chicken, a hen and a rooster are 3 different animals.
>>
>>2023955
>people who think autism and aspergers are the same
>people who think op can function in the world outside
>>
>>2023961
>canis lupus lupus
>canis lupus familiaris

they are almost the same tbffam
>>
>>2023961
>people who think they're literally the same species
every taxonomist alive then?
those morons....
>>
>>2023960
It's not clear what they come from, or even if it's from a single species without very early mixing with other canids.
>>
>>2024014
we've got this new thing called genetics.

it's amazing stuff.
>>
>>2023955
>OP doesn't realise that egrets are herons but is still a dick
>>
>>2024100
you're expecting a lot from some kid that doesn't even know all birds are related.

or that all scavengers also sometimes kill.
>>
>>2023955
they are in the old world.
>people who think dogs are literally domesticated wolves
they literally are.
>>
>people who calls falcons, hawks and caracaras "eagles"

I cringe.
>>
>"anon, look! it's an eagle!"
>its a hawk

>"anon, look! a hawk, right?"
>its an eagle

>area has both turkey vultures and black vultures overlapping
>no one can tell the black vultures apart
>they don't even know black vultures aren't turkey vultures
>they don't know black vultures existed at all

I can easily see shit getting confusing. We have bald eagles, golden eagles, ospreys, various hawks, kites, etc. I fuck up my hawks because the juveniles look so similar when it comes to red tail hawks, cooper hawks, red shouldered hawks, etc.
>>
guys that start screaming when they see spiders

when they call wasps "bees"
when they think wasps are more dangerous than bees
because they think wasps have an instantly-recharging venom sac

when they call crane flies mosquitoes
guys that start screaming when they see crane flies
>>
>>2023977
One would hope that a hen and a rooster are different animals. Only humans, clown fish, and lions are genderfluid.
>>
african nature documentaries that paint hyenas as scavengers and not skilled predators they are

I find this egregiously disingenuous on the documentarians/producers' behalf to the point I get genuinely angry
>>
>>2025361
>when they call crane flies mosquitoes
This, I mean I thought they were to for a while, so I can't blame people for thinking that, but I never thought they sucked blood.

>People who don't understand the basics of adaptation and evolution and believe there are "target" species that will or have come to exist
>>
>>2025361
>when they call crane flies mosquitoes
FUCKING THIS. They think they're larger and more dangerous mosquitoes who will suck you dry, when in reality they don't even hurt a fucking fly.
>>
Weird cutesy names people call animal species. Ratties, beardies, hoggies, etc. I don't known why but just makes me cringe so much.

Also when every single nature documentary calls every single animals teeth and claws "razor sharp." Like I know a bears claws will fuck anything up but can I shave with them? Then they're not as sharp as a razor. Just call them "incredibly" or "very" sharp ffs.
>>
>>2023955
>see somebody with what is clearly a malamute mix
>"oh nice do-"
>"he's a wolfdog anon (: we found him in the woods and we raised him on our own (:"
>>
>>2023955
Literally any time I mention I own chickens ever all I get is "LOL SO U LIKE COCKS? LOL!!!!! XD" Yes, I like fucking cock, but that's a different issue. I will immediately stop talking to anybody who says this to me. You're either 12 or you don't have enough brain cells to be worth communicating with. I know it's just a stupid fucking joke, but do you honestly think I haven't heard it a thousand fucking times? Come on.
>>
people who think me and stupidity are related

When i argu with someone and they saids: ill ask my friend he will tell you.
>>
>>2025435
>crane flies
Yeah I was always told that they were male mosquitoes.
>>
>>2025611
This, "razor sharp" is such a meme phrase.

>>2025616
What if a bunch of sympathetic hipsters start making the joke ironically, to sort of empathise with you that people who make these jokes are dumb, until that becomes an obnoxious cliche of anyone trying to get on your good side, and then people make jokes about that, and then...
>>
>>2025361
to be fair, crane flies are fucking annoying so most people kill them quickly
>>
>>2023955
>People who call apes and lemurs "monkeys"
>people who put scales on feathered dinosaurs when they didn't have any
>people who put a shit ton of feathers on scaly dinosaurs when they most likely had either a small amount or none at al
>>
>people who think hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, and rats are the same thing.
>people who shoot coyotes because omg they're vicious killers and I hate them
>people who do no research at all on an animal before buying it.
>apes and monkeys are the same thing.
>>
File: 2lemurs_1monkey.jpg (47 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
2lemurs_1monkey.jpg
47 KB, 700x465
>>2025953
>he thinks apes aren't mokeys
>>
>>2025953
> People calling any large theropod a T-Rex
> People calling any small / medium theropod a Raptor
>>
>>2025991
The hell is a mokey? I know what a monkey is, but a mokey? Sounds rare.

:^)
>>
>>2025991
monkeys: Haplorhini
included groups: Aotidae, Atelidae, Callitrichidae, Cebidae, Cercopithecidae, Parapithecidae, Pitheciidae
excluded groups: Hylobatidae, Hominidae
>>
>>2023955

>people who think that scavengers can't be birds of prey
They are literally "scavenging birds of prey". Vultures are literally classified in birds of prey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey
>>
File: monkeys.png (601 KB, 512x2000) Image search: [Google]
monkeys.png
601 KB, 512x2000
>>2026210
You sound smart but you still don't know how clades work.

Also, most languages don't differentiate between the two terms, there is only one that goes both ways.

Either way, pic related.
>>
>>2026210
Also, Haplorhini encorporates tarsiers...which aren't monkeys :^)
>>
>people who think eagles and hawks are the same thing.
>>
>don't play by those bushes anon, you'll get bit by a bee

The very moment I realized that some adults are really fucking stupid.
Seriously, the dividing line in my life between "adults are all knowing, all powerful gods" and "this bitch is retarded"
My respect for that lady(close family friend and neighbor) never fully recovered, and every time I think about her it's with a faint aura of pity.
Completely unfair but damn it made an impression.
>>
In high school biology, the teacher asked the class "if humans evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes" as a test question.
My answer was different populations.
His "correct" answer was that humans didn't evolve from monkeys and apes, but rather that they shared a common ancestor.
Sorry but...I'm pretty sure at some point in human ancestry, there were individuals that would be clearly identifiable as both monkeys and apes.

A lion and and a housecat are clearly both cats.
At some point they had a common ancestor that was also a cat.

Just because populations diverge and speciate doesn't mean they stop being what they are.
And it is entirely possible for one population to retain an ancestral form while another population diverges radically enough to require new classification.
>>
>>2023955
When people get fanny flustered over the misuse of the word monkey
I'm willing to admit the great apes aren't monkeys, doesn't mean I won't call them monkeys
>>2026563
to an extent, I imagine today's monkeys have evolved in more subtle ways from the proto monkey ancestors, it's less physical and more genetic
If we managed to get a male chimp, a male human, and a female missing link in the same room, that the chimp wouldn't be any more likely to
impregnate the missing link than the human
>>
>>2026549
>Scientific classifications are now more often based on monophyletic groups, that is groups consisting of all the descendants of a common ancestor. The New World monkeys and the Old World monkeys are each monophyletic groups, but their combination is not, since it excludes hominoids (apes and humans). Thus the term "monkey" no longer refers to a recognized scientific taxon.

There you go.
>>
>people who can't tell the difference between mice, rats, hamsters and Guinea Pigs
>when pit bull is used to refer to any dog whose breed is questionable
>when people call catamounts 'mountain lion'
>People who think wolves evolved from lions
>everyone calls red tailed hawks everything but a hawk
>>
>>2027069
>calling a cougar or puma a "catamount"

It is you who are the cringe.
>>
>>2027069
>People who think wolves evolved from lions
What
>>
>>2027069
>catamounts
what the fuck are you talking about, that's not a real word
>>
>>2027886
They have a million names, catamount is one the the rarer ones.

>Tfw I call them mountain lions.
>Tfw all hunting terminology calls them cougars.
>Tfw their Latin name is Puma.
>Tfw a panther is still a thing.
>>
>>2025611
Lol beardies sounds like sometimes a cobber would a bearded dragon.

What about doglies?
>>
>>2027889
'fucking beardy went that snake'.
>>
File: 1451055905385.png (139 KB, 277x251) Image search: [Google]
1451055905385.png
139 KB, 277x251
>>2023955
>News article about otters found living near a harbour
>"It wasn't clear that they belonged to this specie until photos confirmed it was without a doubt a pair of these shy rodents."
>>
>>2028070
What?
>>
>>2023960
Well, there's admixture from grey wolves, an extinct wolf and some wolf from Siberia.
>>
>>2023955
>People who think one animal descended from another.
>People who oppose GMO but eat corn; the most mutated organism except for dogs.
>People who don't know what domestication is.
>People who don't know that we live in a world still in recovery from the megafauna extinctions.
>People thinking lions live in the jungle..
>People thinking black rats, cows, horses, pigs, sheep and dog (+ dingos) are native to the Americas, Australia and Africa.
>People not realising that every biome on Earth has been changed by man.
>People who think dolphins, whales and sea cows are fish.
>People who think crocs are dinosaurs.
>People who think dinosaurs were reptiles.
>>
>>2028379
>People who think dinosaurs were reptiles.
they are.
>>
>>2028381
Nope. They are their own class and they were warm blooded, not cold blooded and some had feathers.
>>
>>2028366
Basically, they called otters "shy rodents".The translation of the article is kinda shitty I know.

>>2023960
If by gray wolf you mean Canis lupus in general, yes. In a recent study the traditional version of extant subspecie/population of wolf is the ascendency of the doge. Rather than that doges, dingos and wolves are more like brother taxa that come from populations (probably subsespecies) that are now extinct.
>>
>>2028383
>They are their own class
they're just reptiles.
>and they were warm blooded, not cold blooded and some had feathers.
that doesn't matter.

all descendants of reptiles are reptiles, and reptiles are a class of amphibians.
>>
>>2028384
I wouldn't be surprised if dogs weren't domesticated multiple times all over the world and they all have admixture from each other.
>>
>>2028381
>People thinking black rats, cows, horses, pigs, sheep and dog (+ dingos) are native to the Americas, Australia and Africa.

To be fair most people in my country (including myself at one point) think that the genet is kinda a native specie, when it was in fact introduced by the moors during their ocupation (which is a more recent event than the aborigin colonization of Australia).
Also the genus Equus was once native from America, so it's like poetry.
>>
>>2028381
>all dinosaurs are reptiles
Oh?
>>
>>2028379
Horses were originally native to North America. And in fact spread to Eurasia via the Bering Straight Land Bridge. The "modern" horse lived in North America from 2.5 million years ago to abou 7600 years ago, when they went extinct in North America due to the last major glacial period.

So technically they were native, went extinct here and were imported back.
>>
Anyone who associates marijuana and for some reason hookah with sloths.
>>
>>2028584
birds are reptiles.

it doesn't matter if they match the phenotype or not, reptile includes all descendants.
>>
>>2028381
fuck of BANDfag
>>
>>2028386
>>2028720
Flawless logic right there. Might as well call yourself a fish while you're at it.
>>
File: inner fish.jpg (9 KB, 264x400) Image search: [Google]
inner fish.jpg
9 KB, 264x400
>>2030161
we're way ahead of you on that.
>>
>>2030161
now don't be sad, land Stromatolite.
>>
>>2023955
People who think peas come like they do in the supermarket In nature
ie not in the shell
>>
File: 1356793812653.jpg (92 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1356793812653.jpg
92 KB, 400x300
>>2030268
>peas
>in the shell
>SHELL
its called a POD. hence the term "like peas in a pod"
>>
>>2023955
>people who pride themselves on having wolfdogs when they actually own northern breed mixes, usually malamute, husky, and gsd mixes
>people who adopt expensive, high maintenance animals like wolfdogs without taking the proper time and care to learn how to take care of one
>people who think that they can release tamed exotic animals in the wild when they can't take care of them anymore
>people who call wolfdogs "wolf-dog hybrids" despite wolves and dogs being the same species (canis lupus and Canis lupus familiaris)
>people who confuse Czechoslovakian/sarloos wolfdogs for actual wolf-dog mixes and insist that they are anything other than a breed of domestic dog
>>
>>2030546
intraspecific hybrids are still hybrids,
and you can't say that wolves and dogs are the same thing and then complain about people calling any dog a wolf-dog.
>>
>>2025374
>Humans genderfluid
Tumblr starling detected
>>
>>2030551
the point is that wolfdog hybrid is no longer the accepted nomenclature.And the reason why its annoying when people confuse northern breed mixes with actual wolfdogs is because northern breeds have way less of temperment issues and don't experience things like winter wolf syndrome, so they tell other people misinformation like "oh wolfdogs act JUST LIKE regular dogs!" so that when people actually go through the proper procedures to get an actual wolfdog, often they are not prepared for what they are getting into and have to give up the dog which mean, in the best case scenario, the dog will go to a sanctuary, in the worst case scenario, the dog will be destroyed because many shelters refuse to carry wolfdogs. It doesn't necessarily make me mad because they're misinformed, it's that their misrepresentation of northern breeds as wolfdogs or even low content wolfdogs as being of a high content places countless wofldogs' lives in jeopardy.
>>
>>2030560
How intense is winter wolf syndrome for "established" hybrids like the czechoslovakian wolfdog or the sarloos?
>>
>>2030563
Czechoslovakian and Sarloos aren't actual wolfdog mixes, they're their own breeds of dogs bred from mixes of GSDs and timber wolves and consequently do not experience winter wolf syndrome. However, like all northern breeds, they still have some temperament issues that you will have to deal with and you need to socialize and train them accordingly.
>>
>>2030563
In general, WWS isn't common in low content wolfdog mixes and is more of a problem in mid content and high content wolfdogs. The general rule of thumb is that the higher the content, the more serious WWS will affect the animal, though this is not always the case. If you're worried about WWS in a potention wolfdog pupper you want to get, there are many wolfdog websites and groups online that can offer you tips and advise on how to handle the animal.
>>
>>2030566
>>2030567
I guess that's why I don't remember reading about WWS when I looked up these breeds.
>>
>>2023955
>bugguy's posts
>>
>>2023955
>people who think dogs are literally domestic wolves
are you retarded, or are you just stupid?
>>
>people that lose their goddamn minds when they see a spider, centipede, or bee
>people who get a shiba inu and name it Doge
>people with corgis named Ein
>people who name pitbulls Tank or Diesel
>people who treat fish badly because "lol they have 3 second memory"
>>
>>2033395
>>people that lose their goddamn minds when they see a spider, centipede, or bee
Phobias do exist, m8.
>>
>>2033405
>Pussy assed bitches exist, m8.
Fixed for you.
>>
When ants come and bite my ass.
>>
>>2030262
Nociceptiion?
>>
>>2028379
>>People who think one animal descended from another.

>implying Homo sapiens, Homo neanderthalenis, and Homo denisova didn't evolve from Homo heidelbergensis
>>
>>2023955

>people who call venomous snakes "poisonous"

srnh
>>
so much autism in this thread, its no wonder why a lot of you have only animals for company.
>>
>>2033998
this

like we get it, you passed general bio102 and watch animal planet. now stfu.
>>
>>2025616
...so do you get lots of chicks?
>>
>>2025611
Razor-sharp is a figure of speech, often a hyperbole. It adds variety to the language and increases the impact on the reader/listener.
>>
>>2033531
"Poisonous" and "venomous" are the same in other languages, so the confusion is reasonable for those whose first language isn't English.
>>
>>2034091
in English venom is just one type of poison.

so all the butthurt about venomous vs poisonous is just an autistic circlejerk. All venomous animals are poisonous.
>>
>>2025616
that's not so bad, you could be working with sperm whales
>>
>>2023955
Ooo
>>
>people call geese "ducks"
>>
>>2034096
>All venomous animals are poisonous.
biologically speaking venom is saliva.
>>
>>2034138
Erm. no.

Venom is not saliva. You should know this. Bugs dont salivate out their asses (ovipositors). Salamanders dont salivate on their ribs. Fish dont salivate period. Platapi don't salivate out of their legs.

SNAKE Venom is modified saliva. Many other venoms are NOT.
>>
>>2023955
i had a buddy make a bet with me that turkeys can't fly.

so i sent him a picture of a hen roosting in a tree when we were hunting.

idiot
>>
>>2034010
Animal Planet is all about treehouses and Bigfoot now.
>>
>>2034155
>Bugs dont salivate out their asses (ovipositors). Salamanders dont salivate on their ribs.
mostly because that's poison and not venom.
>SNAKE Venom is modified saliva
snake venom is true venom.
>>
Lessee how many of your buttons I can push here, but I'll be honest.
>>2023955
>>people who think anteaters and aardvarks are related
>>people who call anteaters aardvarks and vice-versa
I don't think I could pick either one out of a lineup. Pretty sure they're both mammals?

>>people who think lyrebirds and peafowls are related
I assume they're both birds.

>>people who think cranes, herons and egrets are the same thing
Now those are definitely all birds, and kind of spindly ones.

>>people who think parrots, toucans and hornbills are related
Again, they're all birds.

>>people who think vultures are birds of prey
Can't really call carrion eaters birds of prey, no.

>>people who call any bird a chicken or a pigeon
Shit, people do this? I'm sorry, man. Sorry that you have to meet people like that.

>>people who think dogs are literally domesticated wolves
Well, they can breed with wolves, so...

>>people who think penguins only live in snow
Nah, pretty sure there's some tropical breeds.

>>people who think who think turkeys, ducks, quails, geese and chickens can't fly
Not after they're cooked, no. Not sure I've personally seen a turkey fly either, but I know they can. Seen the others flying, though.

>>people who think beef is superior to ostrich
Ain't ever had ostrich. By default, I'm gonna assume it tastes like chicken, which would make it at least as good as beef. Either way, probably better than mutton. I can't really stomach mutton.
>>
>>2034369
>Well, they can breed with wolves, so...
Dogs and wolves come from the same now-extinct ancestors. Sorta like neanderthal and sapiens.
>>
>>2034312
I got $20 out of a friend betting that chickens couldn't fly. Immediately took him to the local farm so he could see. And then a year later I got $10 out of him betting peacocks couldn't fly by dragging him to the zoo the next day.

I could have shown him videos but it just felt so much better seeing him get angry when he witnessed them with his own eyes.
>>
File: 1450208056432.jpg (328 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
1450208056432.jpg
328 KB, 2197x1463
The sub human filth that did this.
>>
>>2035222
Are those piercings on a cat...?
>>
>>2034549
>Dogs and wolves come from the same now-extinct ancestors
those ancestors are classified as wolves.

technically so are dogs.
>>
>>2035223
No some asshole shot it in the face with a pellet gun. Like 3 times.
>>
>>2034083
>add variety
>used ad nauseum
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.