[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tiel thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: cockatiel_care.jpg (71 KB, 347x346) Image search: [Google]
cockatiel_care.jpg
71 KB, 347x346
I'd really like to get a cockatiel in a few weeks. I live in a large flat with no other animals. I work 9-5, but outside of this have plenty of time to spend with the birdy. I've always wanted a parrot and tiels seem so pretty and have the characteristics I like. Just a few questions from tiel owners: how noisey are they? Clipped or unclipped? Baby or adopted? Do they shit everywhere? Cuddly/playful? Can anyone share pictured and stories of their parrots / tiels? Thanks!
>>
File: Snapchat-584640957398251132.jpg (435 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-584640957398251132.jpg
435 KB, 1080x1920
I'm guessing the 9 to 5 is all week, right? You might want to go with two tiels or two Budgies. They'll keep each other company and you'll have to worry less about a depressed bird.

Cockatiels aren't super loud, they're obviously not quiet but they do not scream on level with larger birds. I live in an apartment and my neighbors were surprised when they found out that I had a bird. Males are noisier and more likely to mimic than females but both will sing very pretty songs.

Unclipped is fine if you have one bird. It's usually better to let them get accustomed and proficient in flying before clipping them. You'll also be able to work on flight training with him.

Get a young one if you don't want to rescue a bird, they'll socialize better than an older bird set in its ways but with persistence, any bird will love you. It just takes time.

They do shit everywhere but you can train them not to. My tiel preens, stretches, and then squats before he poos. If you can recognize the signs, it's pretty easy to avoid them pooing on you. Use positive reinforcement when training your bird. Treats for not pooing on you.

King Cannoli is generally very cuddly. He sits on my shoulder and nibbles my ear when he wants his lovin's. You'll see that tiels bow when they want you to scratch their head but that's once they trust you and understand that you're their flockmate.

I've only had my tiel since early August so my info could be a little off. I'm just telling you what I've learned caring for Cannoli. Birds are a ton of fun.
>>
>>2024009
Important question: does bird also like Madoka?
>>
>>2024024
madoka is shit
>>
File: billill.jpg (66 KB, 395x323) Image search: [Google]
billill.jpg
66 KB, 395x323
>Mfw I realised my step dad gave away my tiel 12 years ago because of the noise
>>
>>2023943
My experience and knowledge from my own tiels, books, sites etc.
If you get a young tiel he gets used to cuddling, being petted etc really easily. Mines just love to be petted, and sometimes even get angry if I don't pet them.
Tiels that aren't used to being touched or cuddled of course are less cuddly and don't get used to it easily.
In comparison to other birds (ringneck, lovebirds etc) they are more relaxed and docile. This can be positive or negative. For example, conures can be more playful.
Tiels relatively also make little noise. But every bird makes noise of course. One of my tiels really loves to whistle all day long. I love it when he whistles so much, but my wife can be annoyed by it sometimes (and then she says: I wouldnt prefer it any other way).
My wife and I both work full-time jobs. Our tiel didn't have any problems with this. However, after he stayed with my nephew's tiel for a few weeks and came back it seemed like he felt lonely, so we got him a for friend.

>>2023943
>>
>>2023943
In addition. Birds in general will scream/call in various situations, like wanting your attention, calling for food and so on.
Cockatoos and cockatiels are very persistent animals. They can keep on calling for a long time! Don't fall for this, or give in easily. If you do this, this is a sign for them that it works, and they will keep up even longer the next time. Ignore them till they get calm and then reward them. This will learn them not to scream (to a certain level of course considering every bird and animal will call for attention).
Screaming birds are often the result of the owner's behaviour and tells you more about the owner than anything else.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.