[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my sister got us a new 6 week old dog and I'm worried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: 20151225_174520.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151225_174520.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
So my sister got us a new 6 week old dog and I'm worried that our older 2 year old dog will either hate it and try to kill it or get really jealous and depressed. What will happen /an/? Thanks for the help. the new dog is the brownish one. They're both the same breed
>>
>>2023812
>6
>w
>e
>e
>k
>s
Give it back to its mom or find a professional breeder to take care of it until it's 8~12 weeks.
>>
>>2023812
>6 weeks

Holy shit anon, take it back and come back in a few weeks. Jesus.
I have no doubt that pup will develop many problems. It isn't even conscious of what is what yet and doesn't know boundaries with littermates.
>>
>>2023830
I'm not quite sure exactly how old it is, my sisters kinda dumb when it comes to this shit, but I just wanna know how my other dog Wil act
>>
>>2023812
>2015
>people still buy animals for christmas
how the fuck is this possible?
>>
>>2023834
>>Give it back to its mom or find a professional breeder to take care of it until it's 8~12 weeks.
>>
>>2023812
Whoever the fuck you got it from needs to be reported to authorities. Isn't it illegal to sell dogs that young?
>>
>>2023842
In a lot of states, yes.
>>
When are you supposed to take a puppy home? Or at what age would a responsible breeder send a puppy home with you?
>>
>>2023863
8 to 12 weeks.
>>
>>2023812
They seem to be getting along fine. Don't listen to the worry warts in this thread OP. It'll be fine.
>>
>>2023866
It's illegal for a reason. It isn't "worry wart" bullshit, it's people who aren't fucking ignorant cunts being concerned for an animals welfare.
>>
>>2023865
Does more time with the mom after 8 weeks benefit the pup, and how?
>>
>>2023866
Thanks for the actual help anon. Hope you have a great year
>>
>>2023812

Regardless of the dog's age, it's impossible to say how they will interact. It depends so much on the dog. Just monitor them at all times. Keep a grate between them if it will make you feel better.

For an example about dogs, I work with Great Pyrenees. Generally, they hate other dogs. They love other Great Pyrs, and small or injured dogs of other kinds. But adult dogs that aren't Great Pyrs, they don't care for.

Dogs are weird. There's breed consistencies, and there's also individual personalities. All you can do is be safe.

I just put down a $200 deposit on a $900 dog from a breeder that will be ready to pick up in March (just born). Can never have too many Great Pyrenees. Cheap, too!
>>
>>2023865
>8 to 12 weeks.

8 weeks is the accepted age. A lot of breeders (let alone backyard breeders) won't let it go longer than that. The puppy's mother will not stop nursing that dog at 8 weeks. They need to be separated or it taxes the mother. So, 8 weeks is normal. You can make a special request for the breeder to hold them longer, but there's no benefit. The dog will be separated from it's mother and possibly its siblings after 8 weeks regardless of whether it stays or goes.
>>
>>2023866

There are behaviors puppies learn that WE can't teach them from romping around with their siblings, like how hard to bite down on a friendly target. Also, there's a sense of security that allows them to mentally develop in an environment where they don't have to be fearful. Also, if they aren't nursed all the way to 8 weeks, there's a good chance they will never reach their full adult size. They'll be runts from malnutrition.

Go to /an/ to learn more. They'll tear your asshole out for having a 6 week old puppy unless it was extenuating circumstances. (I had a 5 week old puppy who's mother died. She's 8 months now. Kin'da on the small side. Lots and lots of nipping. Still not housebroken)
>>
>>2023888

Thank you
>>
>>2023870
Yes, it does. The time between 8-12 weeks is when a puppy is really learning social cues. They are learning how to be dogs.
>>
>>2023880
the only person you respond to is the one telling you to ignore the issue. What a fucking cunt. I hope the dog gets taken away by somebody who doesn't put pride before animal welfare.
>>
>>2023911
So is a dog more likely to be maladjusted or fucked up if it's taken at 8 weeks? Sorry about all the questions, there's a breeder I wanted to purchase from who sends puppies home at 8 weeks.
>>
>>2023981
Eight weeks is the minimum. Twelve weeks is better, depending on several factors.
Honestly, it's more important to make sure the breeder shows (confirmation and dog sports) and does all the necessary health testing.
>>
>>2023986
Why is showing important? Breed standard doesn't really mean anything to me as long as the pup is well-socialized and has a good temperament. I guess it does make them a bit more reputable, but I don't really care how many ribbons it won from the same people telling breeders to make pugs and bulldogs look like they do.
>>
>>2023836
>the current year
>people still buying animals at 6 weeks old when it is now illegal to do so in all states
>>
>>2024016
>owner still intentionally ignoring everyone who's pointing this out
the dog will end up at a shelter in a few weeks anyway.
>>
>>2023889
It's not common for breeders to seperate the puppies after 8 weeks unless there is something wrong with the dogs and they need to be quarantined. Unless there are bad fights breaking out or illness, they stay with the siblings until they go home

>>2023981
It will be easier in a sense to train them out of nipping; they will have a better bite inhibition and won't be as rough during play time. They also gain better dog social skills, which is not something people can teach. Doesn't mean your dog will be dog aggressive, but they will be less 'rude' about meeting other dogs, which sometimes causes dog fights between two otherwise friendly dogs.

Your dog won't be auto-fucked, it's just easier for socialization and training.

>>2024006
The idea is you don't want a breeder that is breeding for money, or breeding for the fuck of it. You want a breeder who wants to better the breed, preserve the breed, make it healthier, stronger, etc, which is what conformation and trials are for.
>>
>>2024023
>you don't want a breeder that is breeding for money
makes me laugh every time you say it.
>>
>>2024026
>http://omalmalamutes.com/omal/littercost.htm

Remember kids, most breeders are not responsible breeders.
>>
>>2024027
>one time fees passed off as recurring
I assume you failed accounting.
>>
>>2024020
>>owner still intentionally ignoring everyone who's pointing this out

That's not fair to the owner. He probably doesn't care. What's done is done. There's nothing he can do about it.

Besides, in the grand scale of things, knowing not to get a puppy until 8 weeks is actually obscure knowledge. Most people don't do thorough research beforehand. They just want a new member of the family. Not everyone hangs out on animal forums and vet clinics.

So I say fuck you to the /an/ elitists, as someone who's been around this board for years. Give the guy a break. People come here to learn. He's doing that. Now he knows. It's not remotely indicative of his ability to love that dog. He's not even the one that bought it.
>>
>>2024039
>most people don't do research before they buy animals and this is okay
>you don't have to do research before you buy an animal
If you're too dumb to research an animal before you buy it as a fucking Christmas present, you're too dumb to own it. Why are you so eager to excuse bad pet ownership as "normal" and "everyone makes mistakes uwu"
>>
>>2024041
>Why are you so eager to excuse bad pet ownership as "normal" and "everyone makes mistakes uwu"
not him, but probably because you're perceived as a heinous bitch for attacking people over things they couldn't control or just didn't know about.

and being a heinous bitch isn't a great way to improve board traffic thus ensuring an interesting group dynamic and greater chances for not being deleted.
>>
>>2024006
>Why is showing important?
Because confirmation shows and dog sports (hunting trials, water trials, tracking etc) are evaluations for breeding stock. Anyone can say their dogs are structurally sound and capible of doing what they are bred for, shows and trials are a way of getting an unbiased opinion of your dogs.
>>
>>2024028
>implying a dog that doesn't have hip dysplasia now will never get hip dysplasia ever for the rest of it's life
>assuming that tests and registration done for one group of puppies means that the next batch is all set

I assume you failed at basic comprehension
>>
>>2024039
>summer was years ago

>>2024043
/an/ has been more active now than it was years ago when people were actually friendly and the board was about more than Fluffy and Fido.
>>
>>2024023
>>2024044
Yeah, that makes sense. Mostly for already healthy breeds, though. Can't say I'd imagine a pug being helped much by conforming to breed standard.
Should a breeder being uninvolved with showing be a big red flag? I'm interested in a Keeshond, but they weren't bred for anything, so I don't think it's that important.
>>
>>2024067
>/an/ has been more active now than it was years ago
there are actually websites where you can check stats, you know that right?
>>
>>2024082
Yes, it's still important for non-sporting breeds.
>>
>>2023892
>>2023880
I can't believe you only replied to people who don't care that it's illegal.

Anyhow for your question and to HOPE to not fuck up this pupper's life,
Find people close to you who have puppies, it'll be easier to socialize that way. Do it immediately.
If you can also find people with small breed dogs that are relatively calm, that'd be great too.
At this point in the puppy's life, socialization is key!
It's not just dogs you need to socialize with it, lots of people too. Stores didn't mind if I brought my puppy in when she was tiny and she got a lot of socialization out of it too. I recommend it if you don't often spot dog walkers.

What is she feeding it btw?
Because at this age, the puppy should still be weaning off its mother, it should be on a small kibble high quality puppy food. You could mix in some warm milk/cream with it and make it soft so it's easier to digest as well. When she/he gets to 8 weeks old, you can ween it off of the milk/cream and just to kibble.

I care for your sister's puppy OP. I hope she actually researches the shit she has to do in order to take care of it.

btw if she lives with you, have fun waking up every hour to her having to let it out because it can't control its bladder.
>>
>>2024122
>I can't believe you only replied to people who don't care that it's illegal.
>it's almost like you don't want to be hated for stuff you didn't do!
>so weird!
>>
>>2024082
Yes, showing is important. The parents should also have advanced titles in either competitive obedience or rally. Probably also a therapy certification.

Best bet is join your local breed club, go to functions, and ask where other members got their dogs from. Talk to those breeders at shows, attend working events, etc... until you've found a breeder whose dog owning philosophy matches up with yours.
>>
>>2024137
>a breeder whose dog owning philosophy matches up with yours.
wait, I have to have a "dog owning philosophy" now?

I can't even get that far up my own ass.
>>
>>2024144

Don't be coy.
Someone who breeds for utilitarian purposes, companionship, safety, etc.

Jesus fuck. I'm not even the other poster, but you have to be looking for an argument to not understand what they meant.
>>
>>2024137
Alright, that sounds like a bit much. I'm only looking for a healthy and well-socialized pup, not a service-police-therapy-agility-working-champion bloodline pedigree dog. My main concern is not supporting shitty breeders. Mistyday Keeshond seems fine; they sound like they do a lot for their dogs. I've talked to the owner one-on-one and she seems very knowledgable, friendly and focused on the dog's wellbeing above all else. They actually do say that you should go elsewhere for a show dog. They're a lot more dedicated to happy pups than pedigrees, which actually aligns pretty perfectly with my "philosophy". I don't give two shits about pedigree breeding, it's fucked up a lot of breeds in recent years. I can do without it.
>>
>>2024122
Ight first off she is NOT my first dog, and second it wasn't even my fault we got her, my sister just gave her to us but she said that the mother was already fighting her litter off when they tried to feed. I just asked for advice you don't have to be a little cunt just to seem like you matter
>>
>>2024193
I gave you advice if you got past my passive aggressive words.
I'm mad at your sister, not you really.

Also, when I got my puppy my other dog's motherly instinct kicked in (she hasn't had puppies before) So if nothing bad is going on now, it'll be fine.

Note that your dog will nip at the puppy to correct her. Just supervise.
>>
>>2023812
Good troll thread anon.
No one can be this ignorant about dogs.
So you'll get plenty of confused and angry replies.
>>
>>2024251
Thanks for mentioning the nipping I'll, watching they're interactions closely , hopefully my other dogs motherly instinct will kick in as well

>>2024355
Not a troll thread at all, just looking for help
>>
File: Types of breeders.jpg (820 KB, 1974x1476) Image search: [Google]
Types of breeders.jpg
820 KB, 1974x1476
>>2024170
Showing is a way to independently verify the structure of both parents and identify faults. All dogs have faults, the breeder should be pairing two dogs whose faults offset. Showing is also a way to be involved in the community and to see what advances other breeders are making (or mistakes to avoid). Isolation from other breeders is a BIG red flag. What you want is a puppy who is as structurally sound as possible so as to avoid long-term mobility problems. Showing first assesses structure, soundness, and movement, and second assesses type (does the dog actually look like a Keeshond).

Similarly, working activities/obedience trials/therapy work are all ways to independently verify the temperament of both parents. And it's something that dogs love to do, along with another way for a breeder to be active in the community. What you want is an even-tempered dog who can happily respond to you in a variety of situations, not just a dog who sits around at home with potential issues should you need to be somewhere public like a park or the vet. Yes Keeshonden are well-adjusted to life at home with a family, but they have roots to working closely with their humans and should be involved of some kind of activity that reflects this temperament (if you're looking for a low-key family dog then obedience or Rally is perfect).

I'm not here to guilt trip, more to educate. I once bought a puppy from a breeder like the one you're describing. Everything sounded good at first, but then I realized this is a breeder who is just doing the bare minimum with no care put into evaluating their breeding stock. They just cared about selling puppies.

So again I encourage you to join your breed club, talk to people, go to shows and events and talk to people. Ask specifically about your breeder and see what people say. I will bet for the price you're paying this person you can get a puppy from a breeder who does everything right.
>>
>>2024170
>http://www.mistydaykeeshond.com/
>Claims to health test
>Only has a couple tests done on each dog
>Breeds dogs on prelims, before official clearances

Yikes, do not buy a dog from this breeder
>>
File: Move!.jpg (44 KB, 540x593) Image search: [Google]
Move!.jpg
44 KB, 540x593
>>2023812
>>
>>2024041
>If you're too dumb to research an animal before you buy it as a fucking Christmas present, you're too dumb to own it. Why are you so eager to excuse bad pet ownership as "normal" and "everyone makes mistakes uwu"

Accepting a puppy as a gift from someone who bought it 2 weeks too young makes him a bad owner? What?

And you know, most people don't research dogs. /an/ is a concentration of a different crowed. Not normal people. Our parents didn't research them because the resources were hard to come by. And most people even today still don't. ... And those dogs continue to be loved and enjoy their time with their families.

Don't be such an elitist shit. It doesn't take thorough research to love a dog and treat it well.
>>
>>2024122
>I can't believe you only replied to people who don't care that it's illegal.

I am tired of hearing this. It is not illegal. It is only illegal to sell them. And only in certain states. And the age varies by state. Don't blanket the whole practice as illegal just because it's not allowed in a few places - a tiny minority.

" Approximately eighteen states have laws or administrative regulations that dictate how old a puppy must be before it is offered for sale or adopted out to an owner. Of those states with laws, all but one require that a puppy be at least eight weeks old before being offered for sale (See Pennsylvania and Nebraska , for example). Virginia mandates that a puppy be at least seven weeks old. Other states focus on the separation of the puppy or kitten from its mother in addition to specifying a minimum age. Nevada's recently amended law provides that a retailer, dealer, or operator shall not separate a dog or cat from its mother until it is 8 weeks of age "or accustomed to taking food or nourishment other than by nursing . , whichever is later." [emphasis added]. Likewise, Illinois also phrases its law with the idea that a puppy or kitten shall not be "separated from its mother" until the puppy or kitten has attained the age of 8 weeks. "
>>
>>2024671

By the way, here's a table (middle of the page) with all the state laws outlined - sorted by state.

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-state-laws-concerning-minimum-age-sale-puppies
>>
>>2024628
She does all of the health tests that are recommended on Keeshond.org, that's all I know.
>>2024609
I did Google their name a bit, but I couldn't find anything other than their website. Could be worse, but it would've been nicer to see them involved with stuff. You're both right, she could be doing a lot more for her pups, especially for a thousand dollars each; even if they are well-socialized and raised.
Is there any way to find serious and reputable breeders before actually committing to joining a bunch of clubs? I'm not gonna be able to adopt a Keeshond for some time, I'm just trying to give myself ample time to research so I don't make an impulse decision as soon as I can purchase one. I poked around the breed club website for a bit, but I didn't find much.
>>
>>2024691
Her dogs don't even look purebred. They barely resemble Keeshonden at all.
>>
>>2024691
>She does all of the health tests that are recommended on Keeshond.org, that's all I know
She doesn't, though, if you click on the links she provides each dog only has a couple of the recommended tests

It's not really a huge commitment to join a club, one small fee for a year's membership. Some clubs even have things like picnics that are open to the public, so if your regional club has stuff like that going on you don't really need to join. The important part is just getting together with people who already own Keeshonden and learning what they know, and the best way to find Keeshonden owners is through your regional club.
>>
>>2024699
That part doesn't really matter to me, and that doesn't seem to be her goal anyway; she did explicitly say to go elsewhere for show-quality dogs. I personally think keeshonden look dumb regardless, so it could look like a labradoodle for all I care, as long as it's a nice dog with the temperament I'm looking for.

>>2024739
I went to the pages listed and she has 4 for each dog, the ones recommended on keeshond.org. If there are any other recommended health tests, they're not listed on the breed website, so I don't know about them.

What I'm really asking about this breeder is if I'm supporting a shit breeder if I buy from them. It doesn't look like it, but I don't have much experience here.My concern is not whether it's purebred or that they're the best champion show dogs they could be, I just don't want to support an asshole. I know they could be doing more for their dogs for sure, but I just want a nice dog without supporting a bad breeder.
>>
>>2027017
Yes, this is a bad breeder.
No, do not give her any money.
>>
>>2027017
No, do not buy a dog from this breeder.
>>
>>2024663
It is important to do research because you shouldn't have an extremely high energy herding dog in a small apartment with a bunch of small kids unprepared. That is how my aunt got her corgi, the owners did no research and assumed all dogs were the same and this one was cute. He was too high energy and would nip at their kids trying to herd them. They then got rid of him.
>>
>>2027022
>>2027292
If I understand correctly, it's because she isn't involved in any showing or breed clubs?
>>
>>2028082
That and her dogs look like mutts.
>>
File: Screenshot_6.png (247 KB, 469x478) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.png
247 KB, 469x478
>>2023812
>6 weeks
>for christmas
>letting them meet first
>>
File: 1448764900613.png (731 KB, 828x615) Image search: [Google]
1448764900613.png
731 KB, 828x615
>7 weeks and 6 days old dog

OMG anon, that's illegal that dog will be hideously fucked up in the head and you're a danger to all mankind

>24 hours later

Ah cool, that's now fine.

ITT are the biggest bunch of worrying old women ever. Fuck sake, get a grip
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.