[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw Christmas puppies will be dumped in shelters two weeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (217 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217 KB, 1024x768
>tfw Christmas puppies will be dumped in shelters two weeks from now when their owners get bored of them

I feel bad for anyone who has to work at a shelter. How do you deal with it?
>>
why do you care
whoever sold them should have screened the buyer better
>>
>>2023784
>whoever sold them
>implying pet stores screen owners
>implying BYBs screen owners

please.
>>
I keep seeing shows about dogs on TV so I'm trying to persuade my parents to get me one of those bought and abandoned Christmas puppers. It's not working.
>>
>>2023783
The re-sell on them is fast because they are very cheap designer puppies, so it's not as bad as it could be. Hearing about what some people do, though, can be horrible.

What's worse is someone who has a puppy for about 10 months to a year, and then surrender the dog as an unsocialized, untrained, unhealthy mess. Which is usually what I see. There is a small surplus of some pups that come in a couple weeks after christmas, but most of them you will see are able to be re-sold on craigslist. We also get a surplus about 4-5 months after, when they are old enough to start needing walks, when they are big enough that the lack of training is less cute and more cumbersome, when they realized they've had this dog for months and it still isn't yard trained, etc.

Check craigslist the next few weeks to see some gifts that people were unable to care for, but still trying to make some $$$ off of
>>
>>2023784
>why do you care
Basic human decency helps a lot with the whole "caring about the welfare of things other than yourself" part.
>>
>My uncle bought two puppies after a few months since one of his dogs passed away
>I can already tell how much he loves the two after seeing them on Christmas
At least not all pet owners are terrible people. Thinking about how many shelter arrivals after holidays makes me sour.
>>
>>2023793
why do you care what shitty people do so much

>>2023828
worry about your problems and those immediately in your circle not a mass of strangers. fucking mother Teresa
>>
it still isn't half as bad as what happens to turtles.
>>
File: 1386416539661.jpg (49 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
1386416539661.jpg
49 KB, 469x463
>>2023897
>>
>>2023897
Lol, the world needs more people like you.

/Sarcasm

You colossal faggot.
>>
shelter anon here

my coworkers and I usually cope with a lot of emotional eating and crying on our lunch break. occasionally getting blackout drunk afterwards. then I come home and go on here to see retards like the guy in the other thread who bought an inbred as fuck Yorkie mutt or the other idiot's sister that got a 6 week old puppy that's going to end up a neurotic mess. I really need to stop coming here unless the average incompetent owners stop posting here so much

merry. fuckin. Christmas.
>>
>>2023897
>Anon, why do you care if somebody beats their dog every day? Stop trying to be so high and mighty.
>>
>>2024231
>buying from a BYB=beating your dog
you've got problems, anon.
>>
Family dog died this week. Parents were contemplating getting another one

If we were to go to shelters after the new year or maybe the end of January, would there really be a lot of puppies there and a decent selection of breeds?
>>
>>2023783
This animal shelter here is proud they had every animal adopted two days before Christmas and are bitching at people telling them there's no way the pets are coming back.
>>
>>2024232
>"worry about your own problems" = exclusively referring to BYBs
>>
people don't actually gift animals, do they?

do they?
>>
>>2024244
Some people adopt animals so the house looks nice just for a Christmas party or some shit and throw them out, drop them off, kill them, or return them
>>
>>2024244
>>2024248
How could you forget all the "PUPPY SURPRISE" videos on YouTube? all with 150k+ views of course. Also, can't forget such gems as: "Little girl crying over Christmas puppy" "HAMSTER BIRTHDAY SURPRISE!" and "Boyfriend surprises girlfriend with puppy."
>>
>>2023811
Buy them a pup
>>
>>2024243
you're the one that brought up beating your dog, not me or anyone else.
>>
>>2024302
he was referring to anon's "it's none of your business stop caring about animals" mentality. you know, the same stuff people shill to excuse domestic violence, child abuse, animal abuse, etc
>>
>>2024326
I know, but the anon was specifically responding to her worry about someone buying from a BYB, not beating their dog.

it's a pretty big leap from buying a poorly bred animal to beating it, and it's telling that that's exactly where the anon's mind went.

buying from a puppy mill or BYB isn't the same type of abuse as beating an dumb animal. It's a pretty big stretch to pretend it is.
>>
>>2024328
I wasn't implying anything of the sort. It's a pretty big stretch to think I was. Have you never encountered a hyperbole before?
>>
>>2024328
Also, after reevaluating, it's not that big of a stretch to compare beating your dog to animals being euthanized in shelters because they were an impulsive Christmas purchase.
>>
>>2023811
This is an eighteen plus website kid.
>>
>>2024354
Hey man, I'm a responsible adult who lives with his parents and seeks affection from dogs.
>>
>>2024367
>adult
>lives with his parents
kek

I tell my son he'll never be an adult until he gets out of my shadow.
>>
File: 1382294788332.gif (1016 KB, 322x166) Image search: [Google]
1382294788332.gif
1016 KB, 322x166
>>2024368
I was independant and out of the house until a mental crash, I'm working on it.
>>
>>2024372
I had a similar situation. I hit on hard times. I went to my parents and asked to move in. They said no.

I was homeless for 4 months in the middle of a Colorado winter. Quite the learning experience.

anyways, you're lucky to have nice parents. Get back on your feet, they may need to live with you some day.
>>
I'm actually excited for the puppy surplus. My family has been contemplating a second dog for a while
>>
>>2024377
>they said no
Damn, that's harsh. My parents have told me I can stay with them as long as I need too and I'm always welcome back after I leave. Did you leave on bad terms or something?
>>
File: Cujo_Sleepy.jpg (74 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Cujo_Sleepy.jpg
74 KB, 640x360
I got a Christmas puppy even though I already have 2 older dogs. Pic related, my pup. My friend also got a puppy for his girlfriend and he's ALREADY looking for a home for it. Two days after Christmas, he got it on the 23rd.
>"It's too demanding, it keeps shitting on the carpet and crying for food"
>"Its chewing everything in my apartment"
>"Anonette never walks it"

He tried giving it to me but I already have enough as is. feelsbadman.jpeg
>>
>>2024372
You probably shouldn't get a dog then. Need to be able to give it a stable home.
>>
I choose to believe that the gift animals have at least been properly discussed prior to gifting. But my faith is not very strong.
>>
>>2023783

I don't think people would get bored of puppies. They'd get fed up with them. Seriously, puppies are disasters. Poop and pee everywhere, chewed up shoes and furniture ... if if you did it right and bought a playpen fence and crate or such, that is still blocked off an entire room. Usually a dining area that people need to get to. Then you have to take that room and empty everything out of it that they can damage (tables, cabinets, carpets, etc. It's a complete hassle.

When you get a puppy, you have to be really committed to it. Giving someone a puppy should be a felony.
>>
>>2023817
>someone who has a puppy for about 10 months to a year, and then surrender the dog as an unsocialized, untrained, unhealthy mess

This boggles my mind. around 8 to 10 months, the dog really starts to shine. They've just about nailed housebreaking, they're obeying commands and know who's boss, their real personalities are starting to come out, you start to see the first real signs of their intelligence and problem solving skills ... that is like the turning point between useless shit-factory and family pet. Why would someone quit at the finish line? The work is nearly done.
>>
>>2023904
>it still isn't half as bad as what happens to turtles.

I know this isn't Reptile Gen, but I just want to add that I see my LFS/Reptile Store selling Caymen all the time. Little babies, not even 8" long. And people buy them alllll the time. Then call and complain when they won't fit in the 10g aquarium anymore. People are retarded.

Also, I really want an Eastern Hermanns but my wife is afraid of turtles/tortoises. WTF?
>>
>>2024489
>giving a puppy not to your wife, but to your fucking GIRLFRIEND

How much of a piece of shit do you have to be to dump a 10-15 year commitment onto a girl you might not even be with in a few months
>>
>>2024722
>How much of a piece of shit do you have to be to dump a 10-15 year commitment onto a girl you might not even be with in a few months

See, people, this is why we have condoms.
>>
>>2024632
something our shelter does is sell adoption certificates. then you can give it to someone for Christmas and they actually come down and pick out the dog themselves so they can actually know it's a good fit

but people are collossal faggots that won't do that because "hurr it cuter to have dog under tree"
>>
>>2024635
> you cant finish if you never started in the first place

That's what the poster meant, bro. People wont give the dog any training and when it's too big it's out the door for poor pupper.
>>
If you are wanting a battle buddy, is now the best time to go and get one? Not because of the choice, but because of the strain on rescue shelters?
>>
>>2024300
Sorry to go off on one, but are those dogs or raccoons? I can't tell, 90% of furry art is just some generic dog base with interchaingable ears.
>also those poppeye arms
>sage because off topic
>>
>>2024235
Puppies at shelters get picked up so fucking fast, because they are very young and extremely cheap considering the vet work that goes into them. So no, not really. Just keep checking shelters a lot within the next few weeks and don't get disappointed if the pup you are looking at gets picked up by someone else first.

Also most pups are resold on craigslist
>>
>>2024839
depends where you live. in the south, unwanted litters of puppies are euthanized every day

>tfw used to work in SoCal shelter
>had to put whole litters of unwanted puppies in the chamber to be gassed
it was a horrible, horrible place
>>
>>2024765
If you want a proper /k/ dog, you really need a dog that's been bred and trained for it.

Otherwise, January probably is a good time to find a puppy.
>>
Most people either sell their puppies or drive to a bad part of town and let them go
>>
>>2024847
>drive to a bad part of town and let them go

This is why microchipping before sale should be mandatory.
>>
>>2024850
the number of people who try to abandon their microchipped animals is amazing

>work at shelter
>people bring in a stray they "found"
>as soon as they see us take out the microchip scanner they get pale and try to get the hell out of there

we recently had a dog that a player for the Oregon Ducks football team tried abandoning. he adopted the puppy from a rescue in Texas, then kept him until he was a neurotic year old dog then abandoned him at our shelter a few states away. would've never known if it wasn't that the rescue auto registers microchips to their adopters and he didn't know. of course even though our manager had a few lengthy conversations with their athletic department, he isn't being reprimanded at all. God I hate sports culture

even though the dog was an annoying overgrown puppy, he was a GSD/husky cross, so breedfags were fighting over him the morning he became available
>>
God, every time I think I want to work with animals I realize that the only way you can is if people are horrible and MAKE someone tend to the poor creature.
>>
>>2024846
For innawoodsing and general outdoorsing, not for TIER 1 SF!
>>
>>2024768
They are raccoons, check their tails
>>2024874
Become breeder
>>
>>2024874

It takes a certain level of inner deadness to work with animals. You can't care for them so much that you'd be unable to kill them. It's a delicate balance of love and disconnection. Teenage girls that squee about being vets have no fucking clue what happens when they take your dog to the back. Even to just clip their nails. There's a reason they take them out of your line of sight.
>>
>>2025058
Agreed. I work at Petland, and everyone who comes up to me telling me how badly they want to work there has no idea how brutal it can be. Especially with the small animals. Three days ago a hamster gave birth to conjoined twins and decided she didnt want them to be conjoined anymore. That was a fun cleanup.
>>
>>2024868
>Hating sports culture because of one bad dog owner

Kek you're a faggot
>>
>>2023897
>anon, why do you care when people dump animals at the shelter you volunteer as a vet tech?
>>
>>2025079
honestly it's a pretty good question.
if they didn't he'd be out of a job.
animal shelters are one of those rare businesses that think they can get away with absolutely hating their clients.
>>
>>2025077
not just that, the numerous other times that people like that get away with shit just because hurr he can sports. look at Michael Vic for fucks sake

>>2025101
>honestly it's a pretty good question
no, it's really not

trust me, it's a line of work that you wish you DIDNT have job security

>animal shelters are one of those rare businesses that think they can get away with absolutely hating their clients
we can and do. it's like any job, you just can't say it to their faces obviously.
>>
>>2025112
>it's a line of work that you wish you DIDNT have job security
So quit.
>it's like any job, you just can't say it to their faces obviously.
as a business owner I understand completely.
this is exactly why you will always make $10/hour while I make $150.

I don't judge anyone that wants to throw money my way, not ever. If you drop the anger at the public perhaps one day you'll get on my level. Yes, of course people are contemptible, but dwelling on that just makes you miserable and that hurts your job performance.

do something you like or learn to like what you do. Or not, it's your life. Personally I'd rather not spend 40+ hours a week hating people and my job.
>>
>>2025112
>because hurr he can sports
Isn't that the whole point of playing sports you gigantic faggot? You're combining two completely different issues/fields and you're a fucking idiot for doing so. It's like complaining about celebrities that manage to get away with partying excessively and taking illicit drugs, or wishing your workmate gets fired for cheating on his wife.
>>
>>2025063
>Three days ago a hamster gave birth to conjoined twins and decided she didnt want them to be conjoined anymore. That was a fun cleanup.

I love gerbils. I keep quite a few. If the mother doesn't have enough food and water, she'll eat the babies so that she has enough resources to keep herself alive as well as nurse the remaining ones. I've never had it happen to me, but I could see how it might happen in a pet store where you simply can't pay that much attention to every single animal in the store.
>>
>>2023783
>>tfw Christmas puppies will be dumped in shelters two weeks from now
And I'll be right there to pick a qt up.
>>
>>2023783
>tfw there are christmas puppies that actually found their furever home with decent families
>tfw the ones that get dumped in shelters will no doubt get adopted out quicker than you can say bitchtits

Seriously, why are you niggers so fucking negative all the time? Is it part of the job description of a shelter worker to be a cunt 24/7 and to act like you're so perfect whilst believing everyone else are all incompetent owners?
>>
>>2025223

OP here. I'm looking to adopt an adult dog as my first dog. Too bad there's gonna be mostly puppies.
>>
>>2025239
>Too bad there's gonna be mostly puppies
You clearly know fuck all about shelters then.
>>
>>2023897
The universe is cold, unfeeling, and endless.
We live on but a mote of dust.
Without connection, we are lost in its magnificence.
>>
>>2024244
My uncle got my grandmother a Bison Frise puppy last Christmas
In the two weeks before Christmas he housebroke him and crate trained him as well as he could, and she loves that dog like he was a grandchild
>>
>>2025240
I was really just wondering if older dogs get abandoned just as often as puppies. But I'm sure I'll have a lot of choices after the holidays.

I'd like to adopt from a rescue. That way I'd know the dog's history and personality a little better.
>>
>>2025244
How the fuck do you housebreak a dog in two weeks? Was the puppy older than 6-9 months or something??
>>
>>2025249
Not that anon, but I was able to housetrain my Border Collie when I got him at 8 weeks to 10 weeks.

It just requires you to watch them, and when they get up to start sniffing around, pick them up and take them outside. reward with praise. Gotta be vigilant.
>>
>>2025249
By not being an idiot and doing the job correctly.

Sorry that you were born an idiot, mate, but the odds are stacked against you on things like this. Do your best though, pal!
>>
>>2025255
How long did it take for him to get the message though? Couple days, weeks or months?

>>2025256
Nice bait faggot, I'm asking because older puppies are house trained much quicker than pups that are as young as 10 weeks old.
>>
>>2025249
"As well as he could"
He still had a few accidents at our grandmother's, but he didn't on Christmas Eve when he was stayed with us
I have no idea how old he was when my uncle got him, though he hasn't gotten much bigger since then
>>
>>2025120
>as a business owner I understand completely.
this is exactly why you will always make $10/hour while I make $150
>If you drop the anger at the public perhaps one day you'll get on my level
could you be any more of a pretentious faggot?

and your point makes no sense. I do my job, do it well, and do love the majority of my job. doesn't mean I can't hate the shithead owners. your logic isn't based anything factual, just "b positive it'll make u better". it has no tangible benefit

>so quit
you're missing the point entirely

>>2025147
being good at a sport doesn't warrant getting to do whatever the fuck you want without any consequences, even small town football teams are known for getting special treatment

>>2025237
it's not about how long they'll be there, it's that they're still putting a huge strain on the system and resources available by I taking so many dogs at roughly the same time. most of them likely won't be fixed either, so that's another thing the shelter would have to do. and not to mention that most shelters are near full capacity anyway, and intaking young puppies is a pain in the ass

plus this isn't accounting for all the Christmas puppies people will keep until they're about 7 to 12 months old and dump them once they're a neurotic mess
>>
>>2025283
>Huge strain on the system and resources available
Nigger, these dogs are the reason you even have a fucking job. Besides, most occupations deal with the christmas rush, not just yours. Stop being a special snowflake and get the fuck over it.
>>
>>2025290
>these dogs are the reason you even have a fucking job
yeah, and I'd be very happy if I had to look for a new job due to lack of need for it. if you're a CVT with any experience with animals, it's pretty easy getting another job. I don't rely on homeless animals to make ends meet, I could easily level up to a higher paying job but don't because this is something meaningful that needs to be done due to the incompetence of others

>most occupations deal with the christmas rush, not just yours
yeah, and it's like you NEVER hear about them complaining either, right?

>special snowflake
never implied that, but the stakes are higher when you're dealing with any living animal, not just a buttblasted suburban mom wanting to return a few dud Christmas gifts at walmart
>>
>>2024637
>10g aquarium

How little glass do you have to use so the aquarium actually weighs exactly 10g?
>>
>>2025330
Try dealing with patients at a hospital rather than spending time with your family. Try dealing with an assload more shitheads getting drunk on the night you promised your wife you'd make time for. Or the increase of fatal car accidents you'll attend to this time of year.

You've complained more in a couple of hours than i've heard from my colleagues this entire month. Ungrateful prick. Like i said, they're fucking puppies, they'll get adopted, get over it.
>>
>>2025337

Ten gallons, Standard Units poorly notated.
>>
It's cute how everyone thinks all these puppies will be flooding shelters.

The reality is most shelters are completely strapped for money and resources and won't take an animal unless it's injured. You can't just waltz in and plop a dog on the counter and say "Here you go!" ... There may be a few that allow it, but it's definitely not normal. If you think about it a few seconds, you'll understand why.

No, the reality is CraigsList will be flooded. The shelters won't change.
>>
>>2025330
>I could easily level up to a higher paying job but don't because this is something meaningful that needs to be done due to the incompetence of others

>I'm willing to work for nothing as long as I get to feel like a saint and tell others how terrible they are.

what if it turned out the animals you save aren't conscious and can't suffer? That you're wasting your time and making yourself miserable for nothing? That would be ironic.
>>
>>2025283
And attempting to dump your dog at a shelter or whatever animal related bullshit does not warrant, nor is it worth, you getting

a) fired from your job
or
b) have a coach remove a completely capable asset off of his team

Seriously are you fucking retarded? You want someone's life ruined completely just because of the poor widdle doggy? Grow up cunt.
>>
>>2025283
>you're missing the point entirely
no, I get it.

you think the animals are paying you, not the people. So you work for the animals and hate the people and then expect the people not only to pay you but to pay you on the back and tell you how great and caring you are for loving animals and hating people.

In real life it doesn't work that way. The animals aren't paying you, and people don't actually respect you for liking animals more than people.
>>
>>2025445
>Seriously are you fucking retarded? You want someone's life ruined completely just because of the poor widdle doggy? Grow up cunt.

This is a problem that the world is going to have to fix one day - the internet. A person can inspire the hatred of a million people, suffer death threats, lost their jobs, kids get beat up at school, etc etc. All for something that may or may not have actually happened. It just got spread around the internet. This is insanely dangerous. It is not the public's job to dish out justice. The law is very clear on that. And it needs to be re-written to encompass the internet.

Living in fear of a million people that want to kick down your door is insane, no matter what your crime is. Cruel and unusual punishment and all that.
>>
>>2025342
>You've complained more in a couple of hours than i've heard from my colleagues this entire month
you really think I'm the only one in this thread talking about this?

>>2025433
>won't take an animal unless it's injured
you have it completely backwards

>>2025437
I never said I think the animals understand what I'm doing, I do it because it's what I want to do. and I'm not miserable in my job, there's much more to it than dealing with the morons. if there wasn't, I would quit. you seem to think that blowing off steam on /an/ = the entire job

>>2025445
yeah, cause the ONLY WAY to reprimand someone for their actions is to fire them or remove them completely. right.

are you serious? animal abandonment, what he did, can get you in serious trouble here. and just because he can play ball he didn't even have to pay a fucking fine. it's ridiculous

>>2025446
>you have to love every person you deal with and never be pissed at the things they do
>you're not allowed to blow off steam about those people
alright m8

>you think the animals are paying you, not the people
no, I'm getting paid by people who think the same way as me, actually

you seem to just have an issue with people who work in jobs that make them see the shitty side of people because it interferes with your "uwu love everyone it'll help u" mentality

>people don't actually respect you for liking animals more than people
this is a pretty common mentality, actually

>>2025433
>CraigsList will be flooded. The shelters won't change
you're right, the shelters will be flooded once the people who bought them off CL see them get older and they aren't little fluffy puppies anymore and get tired of them acting like, well, puppies. it's not a coincidence most dogs at shelters about 1 to 2 years old
>>
>>2025643
Good job ignoring the rest of my post.

>You really think i'm the only one in this thread talking about this
There is a reason why ALL of you shelter workers are stereotyped to be whiny, pretentious, pessimistic faggots. Even then, when i was talking about you complaining i was specifically referring to YOUR posts.
>>
>>2025461
People are retarded without the Internet's help.
>>
>>2023783
There should be a ridiculous fine for getting rid of an animal, something around $5000 or more. Yes, that is a ridiculous fine but people would think twice, three times, 10 times before their dumbasses bought an animal to just get rid of.
>>
>>2025719
You'd be encouraging people to abandon their animals through less controlled means i.e. craigslist or innawoods, or if worst comes to worst, encouraging people to kill their animals.

Use your brain not your emotions you stupid fuck.
>>
>>2025710
>being this mad
He's just as pissed as anyone here how incompetent some "owners" are.
He also made a point that, sure, they go to Craigslist first, but a year later a good portion of the others are returned again.
Also, why bother comparing it to promised nights with the wife or saving drunkards. I mean, if he volunteers it doesn't mean that he's not also doing good in the world. Even if it's not in your priorities.
>>
>>2025461
What if you're a serial rapist "refugee" who the government gave 180 days of community service for raping a 10 year old?

Why shouldn't people go to his house and murder him in the street?
>>
>>2025777
because that means the government the people voted is doing something very wrong and the government needs to be redone. there's something wrong with you if your first thought process is in such an unrealistic scenario to kill a person instead of being shocked how the jurisdiction of your state can be so wrong.
>>
>>2025643
>>won't take an animal unless it's injured
>you have it completely backwards

No, sir. Like I said, it depends on the shelter. The ones I've been to in Memphis and Nashville had the same rule. They were too overcrowded to just take any animal someone didn't want. It had to be injured and unable to be cared for.

Why would a shelter with limited funding take all the animals that people change their minds about wanting? That is insanity and, seriously, really unfair to the animals that are truly lost or abused and need new homes. They have to compete with domesticated puppies in better shape and probably a more pure bloodline.
>>
>>2025716
>People are retarded without the Internet's help.

But back in our day (before the internet), a person could get drunk and put lipstick on a dog without angering half a million people (some of which are mentally unstable) and having them call their place of work or doing massive smear campaigns all from the safety of their computer chairs. That shit has to stop.

I read a story a while back about a woman who hit a cat with her car. Didn't see it, for whatever reason. Someone happy to be recording. The internet went into an outrage because she didn't brake - made it look like it was on purpose. Her son was murdered and they found the body with whiskers drawn on his cheeks. This was in the EU. But you get the idea. It was an accident. And some fucker killed her son.

It is not our job to decide guilt and dish out justice. People don't realize that's what they're doing. They forget they're part of a mob.
>>
>>2025728

Yeah, people wouldn't abandon them. Too much risk of getting caught and fined $5000. They'd murder them then throw their bodies in the trash.
>>
>>2025777
>What if you're a serial rapist "refugee" who the government gave 180 days of community service for raping a 10 year old?
>
>Why shouldn't people go to his house and murder him in the street?

That's what courts are for. If there's enough evidence to prove he did it, he'll get his. The entire country (and others) is founded on this for a reason. You can't run out murdering people because you think they did something. Your viewpoint means dick and studies have shown that a single person's judgement is wildly inaccurate because of personal biases and misinformation feeding an opinion. Do you REALLY trust the media to give you accurate and non-partial reports on stuff, especially a day or week after it happened?
>>
>>2025781
Welcome to Sweden
http://www.friatider.se/muhameds-comment-while-raping-twelve-year-old-ida-black-dck-expensive-gets-away-22-days-community
>>
>>2025248
>>2025239
It's really hit or miss at whatever shelter you go to. I suggest you look around at shelters within your area for however long you're willing to drive for a pooch. I'm on the same boat as you; looking for adult males on petfinder all the time. Be open to a puppy or craigslist if you don't find many adult dogs around you; you never know what cute smushy face can snag your heart. That is usually not the case, though. In my area it's mostly adult dogs that are dumped or pulled from animal control.

This is my selection right now.
https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?query_id=FB48F020-AE2E-11E5-991F-A63E63501D36&page_number=0

Waiting til after I get back from vacation in January. Can't wait to scoop a qt up.
>>
>>2025742
You've missed the point entirely you retard. Let me make it simple for you, there's no use complaining about christmas puppies since they're literally the quickest to get adopted out. That being said, numerous professions deal with much, MUCH worse during the christmas period, so you shelter faggots complaining as if you've got it worst, or people are as incompetent as you want to believe (they're actually not), are a bunch of special snowflakes.
>>
>>2025643
Wanting to leave your puppy at a shelter is not abandonment you over emotional faggot, of course he's not going to get reprimanded. The people on this board holy fuck.
>>
File: IMG_3688.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3688.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>2025212
>be nine, brother twelve
>shit-ass bug-burning brother purposely adopts male and female gerbils
>breeding completely out of control, he keks
>"gives" me on of the babies, in the sense that I can name it
>name it Charlie
>juvenile mother housed with fifteen other pregnant gerbils and a load of horny males is a little stressed
>walk in to check on Charlie one day
>just a bloody head sitting on top of the bedding

He's twenty-six now and still a piece of shit that buys animals on impulse, bullies them until they're so mean no one will want them, and then dumps them on my family. He tried to buy me a guinea pig for Christmas a few years ago.

Pic related, though. I've managed to convert her from an ornery, pissing mess that killed every bird in our yard to a strictly indoor, perfectly house-trained, playful little sis.
>>
>>2025839
>People valuing the life of some stupid cat more than a little boy

Yup, this describes the kind of retards you'd find on this board perfectly.
>>
>>2025963
It must be pretty hard to make a genuine pig mean. Did he succeed?
>>
>>2025832
>had to be injured and unable to be cared for.
>Why would a shelter with limited funding take all the animals that people change their minds about wanting
because a lot of shelters who do intake the animals with medical issues euthanize them very quickly, if not immediately. usually county contracted stray intake shelters, owner surrender shelters many times won't even accept them unless they meet a certain criteria, and injured is not part of it. it's all about space and funding. shelters are typically less willing to take dogs that will require more money/space/time (undesirable breeds, injured, old) than ones who will be adopted out quickly and use less resources like meme breed Christmas puppies. the puppies displace the others who need it. plus people will shit their pants if a desirable puppy is euthanized due to overcrowding, not many bat an eye if an older/sick dog is

>That is insanity and, seriously, really unfair to the animals that are truly lost or abused and need new homes
that's exactly why people should not be getting those puppies in the first place and creating more of an issue. that's the entire point. it's incredibly unfair
>>
>>2025710
>Good job ignoring the rest of my post.
I ignored it because it's pretty idiotic to compare what someone says on an ANONYMOUS image board to what your "colleagues" say to your face in an unrelated field. but since you just sling insults instead of making real points, it's not like you'd understand that

and nice you'd call me a special snowflake when you keep bitching about how WELL MY JOB IS WORSE THAN YOURS. I never said I had it worse than doctors, nurses, etc, but it is a shitty situation. there's enough bullshit in this world to go around, anon

>There is a reason why ALL of you shelter workers are stereotyped to be whiny, pretentious, pessimistic faggots
much like most jobs where you frequently deal with abuse and/or neglect, animals or people. try asking someone from child protective services what they think of the world

>>2025960
>You've missed the point entirely you retard
actually, they got the point exactly right. the point you're trying to argue is unrelated to this board

>there's no use complaining about christmas puppies since they're literally the quickest to get adopted out
see above post

>numerous professions deal with much, MUCH worse during the christmas period
yeah, and this board isn't about those professionals, is it? go bitch on a nurses forum if you want to discuss that then. or are you just the "THERE ARE STARVING CHILDREN IN AFRICA" type who believes two issues can't coexist

>special snowflake
the one insisting they're special here is you
>>
>>2026176
life's not fair
>>
>>2025962
he brought a dog to a shelter, claimed it was a stray he found, and left them there. that is animal abandonment. it is just as legally punishable as if he tied the dog to a bike rack and left town. the only reason he got caught was because the dog was microchipped. did you even read the post?
>>
>>2026180
great rebuttal
>>
>>2026188
i'm not even who they were talking to but the whole
>its not fair for the old dogs! :(
is fucking irritating. it's also not fair you were born and able to live this long in enough relative comfort to give a shit about other species of animals
>>
>>2025960
>animals don't matter!
>on an /an/imal board

Go complain about your minimum wage job on >>>/r9k/
>>
>>2026196
I wouldn't normally say things like "it's not fair", but that's the choice of words from the anon who for some reason thinks shelters are more likely to take an older, less adoptable dog then a younger highly adoptable one

but if you're going to go the "WELL THEY DONT MATTER ANYWAY" mindset, why are you even here? it doesn't make sense and you can't really be reasoned with if you've already decided they're worthless and therefore not worth caring about. of course you don't give a shit about how Christmas puppies effect the shelter system if you've already decided that you don't care if they're euthanized either way. you seem to be in the wrong place
>>
>>2026200
again i'm not who you were responding to this whole thread, i just joined so i don't really know how you're making these assumptions
>>
File: IMG_3692.jpg (2 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3692.jpg
2 MB, 4608x3456
>>2025984
I ended up taking my friend's hamster when she moved into a dorm, so my brother decided at the last minute to not get the guinea pig. I advised him to never even consider purchasing pets as gifts again, but I highly doubt he heard a word.
>>
>>2025058
Why? Do they have to strap the dog down and muzzle him or something?
>>
>>2026179
>>2026198
>Implying the attitudes and mannerisms of shelter works are applicable only to this board

Fuck off, you bottom of the barrel fags are just as pessimistic and pretentious IRL. This anon described your attitudes perfectly >>2025101

>WELL MY JOB IS WORSE THAN YOURS
Nice backpeddling dipshit, need i remind you
1) You were the first to complain about the christmas rush
2) You were the first to say the "stakes were higher" for your occupation.

Nice attempt at trying to make out as if i was the one trying to wave my dick around though kek

>>2026198
>Is a shelter worker
>Calls someone else's job minimum wage
Oh my
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
Already.
>>
>>2026246
>pitbull
>baltimore
kek
that one's getting euthanized
>>
>>2026228
Somebody was denied their meme puppy it seems.

>>>/r9k/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>2026265
With a rehoming fee that steep, probably. If it cost $50 or less, it would probably be flipped or kept for breeding purposes. Pitbull puppies are stolen all the time around here, despite how common they are.
>>
>>2026269
not even that guy but (s)he's right
>>
>>2026270
don't think it's for breeding
probably for dog fighting/bait dogs
>>
>>2026273
it's really hard to nail down any trustworthy statistics on this in the US.

I'm not saying it never happens, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it almost never happens. The whole fear stinks of a moral panic.
>>
>>2026274
it probably happens more often than you think, afterall it is lowkey to begin with
>>
>>2026273
While dogfighting is certainly a thing, and some huge rings have been busted, pitbulls are also very popular family pets around here. It's funny. I'm in a suburb of Baltimore, maybe one in every four dogs I see here is a pit mix. Other popular picks are, confusingly, the maltese and yorkie. If you head to Annapolis, though, everyone's out walking their purebred setters and spaniels and shit. I love how trashy we are compared to Annapolis.
>>
>>2026278
i'm in south texas and its the same thing over here, head to a shelter and everything there is a pit or chihuahua mix. in my neighborhood everyone has meme dogs tho
>>
>>2026277
>it probably happens more often than you think
yeah, that's what I'm saying.
we said exactly the same thing about witchcraft in the 1600's and Jenkem use in the 1990's.

that's exactly the excuse we use when we want to scare people with something THAT ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS.
>>
>>2026282
gangs aren't going to broadcast their illegal shit unless they're trying to prove a point and dog fighting isn't a great way to do that
>>
>>2026282
>child sex slave trade isn't real I never see it happen!!!
>>
>>2026283
so you're saying criminals DON'T try to hide all the crimes they get busted for?

for some reason they're just really fucking good at hiding their dog fighting ways?
>>
>>2026286
actually that's another really good example of a probable moral panic.

another one is home invasion, a crime that doesn't even legally exist in the US.
>>
>>2026287
since they're generally fighting with the dogs there's no point that needs to be made public

>>2026288
it just depends where you live. overall it is not high, but if you live in shitter areas, it will be higher. like dog fighting.
>>
>>2026271
>>2026228

Generalizing is never smart. People on here are also simply assuming people that act a certain way work at a certain place, which is also pretty stupid. If you had a bad experience, that's one thing. One experience shouldn't cause such a broad spectrum of people to be exactly the same though.

For those wondering about dog fighting; craigslist dogs are rarely used for fighting, and if they are, it's more than likely street fighting with teenagers and not the more elaborate and drug/gambling ridden Cajun type matches. It's easy and cheap enough to buy your own 'hurr durr' bloodline pit bull puppy at a young age and raise it yourself, and the dog fighting you see busted on TV, the big rings racking in tons of dough, generally like to rely on game bloodlines and not average byb pet types. Believe it or not, there is actually a difference between a pit bull bred and raised to fight, and a pit bull bred and raised to be a pet. If anything, dog fighters will buy the dog as 'bait' or to show off, and not use the dog for actual fighting. It's much more likely someone will buy the dog as a guard dog and completely fuck him that way.
>>
>>2026282
>witchcraft
Not real.

>jenkem
Not verified, most likely a joke.

>dogfighting
Blood sports are absolutely real and have a long history, and videos/pictures can be found online. Some breeds were renowned for their ability to fight other dogs, others were specifically bred to do so.

Not the best comparison, m8. I get that you probably hate mob mentality and the public getting worked into a frenzy by imagined or exaggerated threats, but dog fighting is something that's definitely not a fantasy.
>>
>>2026291
>since they're generally fighting with the dogs there's no point that needs to be made public
I'm saying crimes become public whether they want them too or not.

it happens, people get busted.

it's actually pretty amazing how rarely people get busted for dog fighting or stealing pets for bait.

I'm not saying it never happens, but it's far rarer than you probably think.
>>
>>2023897
Do you know what board you are on? The fuck are you doing dumb ass
>>
>>2026294
>videos/pictures can be found online
you can find videos and pictures of all kinds of rare shit online.

look up the stats on CONVICTIONS for dogfighting in the US.

if you want to see something really funny, look up the stats on stealing dogs for fighting bait in the US.

this stuff almost never happens.
>>
why does an feel the need to argue over every single thing imaginable
>>
>>2026300
What I'm saying is that the comparisons you made were ass-clenchingly bad ones because you're comparing a real thing to myths/legends.

There was a multi-state dogfighting ring bust (I think) last year that led to the indictment of somewhere around twenty people. Over a hundred dogs were found. Not sure what happened to that case, though.

And let's not forget Vick the Dick.
>>
>>2026228
you've gotta be a troll at this point
>>
>>2026310
>What I'm saying is that the comparisons you made were ass-clenchingly bad ones because you're comparing a real thing to myths/legends.
witchcraft and jenkem are both demonstrably real.

they're just very fucking rare in the US.

much like people stealing your dog to feed it to a pit bull.
>>
>>2026228
>Fuck off, you bottom of the barrel fags are just as pessimistic and pretentious IRL
this is hilarious

>You were the first to complain about the christmas rush
yes, because this thread is about pets dumped at Christmas. what the hell did you expect?

>ou were the first to say the "stakes were higher" for your occupation.
I did not say my job specifically, I said a job where you're dealing with actual lives is higher stakes than retail. get some reading comprehension

>Nice attempt at trying to make out as if i was the one trying to wave my dick around though kek
pretty sure everyone ITT can see how egotistical and buttblasted you are, I don't need to help you with that

>>Is a shelter worker
>>Calls someone else's job minimum wage
>Oh my
>implying that's a good insult
its pretty common knowledge that if you get to work with animals the pay will never be very high, considering its a highly desirable line of work even with little pay. hell, when our shelter has an opening anywhere in the facility we get a huge flood of applications in from across the state in just a few days.

are you the faggot that got mad shelters didn't have the dog he wanted so he bought a shitty BYB little poodle mix he couldn't figure out how to train? you sound like him
>>
>>2024635
>8-10 months
lmao my husky was 10 months old before she finally got the message to go outside. She KNEW that she wasn't allowed to shit in the house, but she didn't care. Was a total bitch to train, she tore my eyelid open while playing two days after adopting her.

She's a great dog now though, the only issue is that she has no recall while loose like every husky ever
>>
>>2023783
People are also raping and torturing puppies right now
Id say being in the shelter is better
>>
Dogs in general usually get adopted at the shelter I work at, unless there too violent. We can't give our cats away most of the time, so we end up putting a lot of them down to make room for new cats. Also, fuck people who feed feral cats and then act surprised when they become a nuisance.
>>
>>2026368
Shelter I work at pays pretty well, and we get the sweet city benefits. I do office work though, so I don't work with the animals.
>>
>>2026393
I work in the kennel and starting pay is above minimum wage, but I never expected it to be very high

how is the office pay? I've been thinking about whether or not I want to go for the administration side of the shelter I'm at or work towards being the head CVT. still deciding what I really want I suppose. and what kind of office position? like a director of operations or community outreach?

>>2026392
ours doesn't euthanize many dogs either aside from very sick or aggressive. usually it's more sick ones than aggressive ones though. I'm pretty distant from the cattery so I'm not sure what their count is, but we luckily don't seem to ever have too many in the freezer at any point in time. but then again, indoor cats are also the norm here
>>
>>2026269
>No counter argument
>Resorts to insults
Sounds like damage control

>>2026368
>This is hilarious
No rebuttal though because you know it's true? You think i'm the only anon in the thread that's said shelter workers are a bunch of cunts or are you just going to dismiss all their posts? Literally learn to read the thread.

>because this thread is about pets dumped at Christmas
Yes, and it was stated many times that these pets easily get adopted out. Then you went on to complain about "muh christmas rush and shelter resources" which it was replied that everyone goes through it.

>I said a job where you're dealing with actual lives
You specifically said ANIMAL lives, which means you're referring to your line of work, don't go moving goal posts here faggot.

>Acts like this time of year is such a tough time for him, dealing with puppies and all
>Simply state that many others whom aren't even in my line of work go through much worse
>Says i'm the egotistical one waving my dick about
Kek, ironic of you t.bh family

>The pay will never be very high
Then don't go calling other peoples jobs minimum wage dipshit.

>Are you the faggot that
No, seems like you have more than 1 person that thinks you're an idiot then.
>>
>>2026292
This attitude where you assume every single pet owner you encounter is "incompetent" is pretty common among shelter workers. Worst case scenario is where they display passive aggressiveness, which is also pretty common.

Here's one of many stories dealing with these pricks;
>A few years back, order a free book online from my local shelter about what to do in emergency situations for your dog
>Get a call a few weeks later, it's a shelter worker on the line with an uppity tone of voice;
>"Hey anon! It's great that you ordered this book! It's your first step in knowing the right precautions in raising an animal"
>He goes from talking about raising an animal, to talking about people that neglect and abuse
>"Did you know, that for every 300 cases of animal abuse, there is only 1 case worker to attend to these."
>"Wow that's tough"
>"It is! But by donating just $5 a month, you could really help our cause"
>"Uhh no thanks, i just want the book"
>His tone drops to one with more attitude
>"Really, not even a measly $5 a month?"
>"Sorry i just don't feel comfortable handing over my credit card details over the phone to some stranger. If you want i can come in and donate some money personally?"
>"No that's fine, you'll get your book soon" *hangs up on me*
>tfw i never got the book
>>
>>2027065
>Doesn't know people are animals
Wrong board m8
>>
>>2027099
I'm an animal when i fuck your mum
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.