[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I ordered a pack of Echinacea Purpurea seeds off Heirloomseeds,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Echinacea purpurea.png (19 KB, 341x560) Image search: [Google]
Echinacea purpurea.png
19 KB, 341x560
I ordered a pack of Echinacea Purpurea seeds off Heirloomseeds, and I'm on my fourth attempt to try and get them sprouting. I can't figure out the right technique... I tried planting them outright on the surface where they will receive full sunlight, I also tried stratifying them in the refrigerator in moist sawdust/ziplock for two attempts of 13 days and 30 days. I'm used to planting seeds to proper depth giving them a little love + water and watching them grow. This is not the case, and my green thumb is being questioned (by myself.) Though I'm also questioning the quality of seed... Does anyone have some experience planting Echinacea Purpurea and could provide some insight on how to get these daddies sprouting? I use organic miracle grow soil that I compost with only worms, and I also live in Florida.

How to plant Echinacea Purpurea (in Florida?)
>>
I just throw my seeds outdoors in late winter.

if they don't germinate you should throw them in the fridge for a month and try again, probably a little colder.

don't expect help from /an/ they don't garden.
>>
>heirloom seeds
>only stratified 30 days
you're probably gonna have to stratify for months, man
>>
>>2023470
a month is usually enough.

growing them outdoors in a colder climate works better.
>>
>>2023464
>>2023470

Noted, thanks anons. If they don't sprout this time around I'm going to take the last of my seed, put a couple ziplocks in the fridge and a couple in the freezer this time for varying periods. If that doesn't work I will be demanding a refund for my $2 pack of seed. The only thing is that the seeds I left in the fridge for a month last time turned dark in color, perhaps they were too moist and got a little moldy. I don't know if that's a possibility as this is the first time I had to do this process with any plant and am quite fresh to the concept. I heard that packaged seed usually comes stratified too.

Also, I don't ever expect much from 4chan in general so no worries.

Still open to tips and ideas though, will be coming back to thread regularly. Open to general gardening tips too if you care to share what you know. For example, I line my pots with cheesecloth for easy transfers and leave worms in them to make irrigation/root tunnels in the soil. Telling your plants how much you love them and playing the harmonica for them also helps.
>>
>>2023480
it's best to propagate them by just ripping the mother plant apart, highest success rate.

cuttings work too.
> perhaps they were too moist and got a little moldy.
yeah that made me wonder why the hell you were putting them into sawdust, it'll just make them rot.

most people just drop them into a jar and put it in the back of the fridge.
>>
>>2023464
>>2023475
>>2023485
>giving advice on the one subject you actually know something about

Nice going so far. Know your place.
>>
>>2023534

Am willing to accept advice from shady sources as well, as per usual.
>>
>>2023589
He's been known to be an asshole, he's also known for talking out his ass. In this instance however he's probably right on point. Like him or not, he is one of the more knowledgeable tards around here.
>>
>>2023747
speak for yourself.
>>
Use a sterile potting medium, and keep cool.

I doubt it will thrive in florida heat though, it's hotter than it used to be with all the urbanization.
>>
>>2024677

Sterile potting medium? Could you explain? The dirt I use is kind of... Dirty. And heat is the least of my worries, it's the diverse ecosystem of hungry insects that's the real challenge. Considering I like to grow organically...

Any Organic Pesticide recipes out there?
>>
>>2024884
you can sterilize soil by throwing it in the oven or microwave.

>Organic Pesticide
soap and vinegar.
>>
>>2024888
another organic pesticide is tobacco juice, one cig can make a quarter gallon, leafs are better for this.
>>
>>2024888

Interesting tips, interesting trips.

You use soap + vinegar and it works?

> When you don't close the window or re-mute webMs and everyone hears the first video you open the following day on /gif/
>>
>>2024898
I use it for aphids.

they tend to moshpit my roses during the summer, I'd try harder to get rid of them but they're the domestic kind and I like watching the ants in my garden go about their day.
>>
>>2024884
Get mantis oothecas asap.
They are so good to this plant if they have bushes that protect them from birds. They really get into the summer's denseness. Tobacco itself actually summons helper insects like parasitic wasps. It's them japanese beetles that are hard to stop. I kill them wherever I see em. Chickens and big fish can eat them.
>>
>>2024901
there's a bunch of new products on the marked against beetles such as P. japonica.

they work pretty well.
>>
File: eating-aphids_1709862i.jpg (50 KB, 620x486) Image search: [Google]
eating-aphids_1709862i.jpg
50 KB, 620x486
>>
>>2024941
there are no mantids in my country, sadly.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.