[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got a new cat, haven't owned a cat since I was a kid.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1436991168612.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1436991168612.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Just got a new cat, haven't owned a cat since I was a kid.

Any pro tips? I've heard from all my friends to separate food/water from the litter box which I've done. She's also got her shots/fixed as well.

Right now she's hiding under the couch, I figure I'd just leave her alone and let her adjust.
>>
Clean litter box once a day. Never have an exception.
if you believe smell is a problem, buy something called NODOR, spray directly on litter inside box. Works like magic.
leave the cat alone until she approaches you. Pet her when this happens. Sit next to her for the first few times she goes to eat.
Good luck and enjoy your kitty
>>
>>2022963
Thanks man
>>
Enjoy you new life companion, you seem to be doing great so far! Make sure to give her lots of stimulus, and if she doesn't play with one kind of toy, experiment with others. My cat won't touch dingle balls and similar, but anything with feathers gets destroyed. Laser pointer seems like a win for lots of cats too
>>
>>2022962
Don't force interaction. It will have the opposite effect. After you play with laser pointers, give the cat something to catch,else it will grow frustrated that he can't catch anything with the laser.
>>
You have the right idea, it's pretty normal for cats to spend a couple of days hiding and they chill out faster if you leave them to it. She'll spent a while observing you and getting used to the layout of your home, and if you just carry on about your business, she'll quickly realise you're no threat and will get bored with hiding.
>>
>>2022962
Get it toys, and a harness so you can get it out. Most people think "oh cats are so independent they don't need that!" but they need recreation as much as any other animal.
Your cat needs something to distract themselves, something to not be bored all day at your house. Get it toys; tiny balls, fish nets, toy mice, whatever, and get some catnip to apply on the toys the first time you present it to them so they are motivated to use it. Get it a harness for the cat to explore the outside and not stress itself via staying at home all day.

Get it something to climb on: a cat tree, shelves, anything, but it needs something it can climb to; cats are small predators who will feel more safe and in control if they have somewhere to look over everyone else.

Don't force interaction, like another anon said. Cats aren't dogs, you can't pet them whenever you please, they've got to be in the mood and trust you enough. When you pet them, your cat can get overstimulated (too much pet gets it too excited, which leads to the cat feeling annoyed); stop petting the cat if they start moving their tail, which means they've had enough.

Last, and most importantly, don't give your cat food with "meat by-products" or any by-product of anything, that has too much protein, or doesn't have enough taurine.

Enjoy your new pet, OP, the little big cats are lovely company animals and will brighten up your life
>>
>>2023273
Everything this anon said
AND
-Sterilise (look at the pic you will understand the problem)
-Always let a bowl with food, cats do many little meal instead of human and dogs than eat 3 times a day (cats have little stomach) so be sure they always have food ready when they are hungry
- the cats need a refuge/safe spot, its better if its somewhere to look over everyone else, once they are they NEVER disturb them, even if they had done something that annoy or anger you, they need this for releasing the stress
- dont punish your cat, it useless. a cat mind work different than an human (yeah obvious let let me explain) you need to INTERRUPT the act, (example: trying to eat on your plate, climbing on a formbidden area, ect) if you stop them with a negative stimuli (i use a song for myself they are used since their bird and whenever i make it they know they are doing shit and stop it) they will assicociate the negative stimuli with this act and know its "bad"
if you punish or use a negative stimuli after the act it will not work, they will not understand and will be scared of you or of being caught, never hurt them or hit them even a bit and dont put them in their own shit or piss if they have done outside the litter its crual and useless (no need to punish they will just not trust you), create a negative stimuli (a song is the best) or use a water "vaporiser" they hate it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.