[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain to me how guide dogs work? I know that dogs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: shutterstock_127990031.jpg (700 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_127990031.jpg
700 KB, 1000x664
Can anyone explain to me how guide dogs work? I know that dogs are smart etc... but the concept of a dog able to help a lonely blind man in his daily issues really blows my mind.
I mean, if I tell the dog "Supermarket" he will take me there?

I know i might sound stupid but I really know nothing about this argument.
>>
Kind of yes and no, the dog couldn't take their owner to a location unless they had been trained specifically to go to that place- they have no concept of what makes a supermarket or a chemist or whatever, and they're obviously incapable of understand street signs and signs on shop fronts. Once they've learned where a particular location is, they can take their owner directly there on command, but they can't find their way to new or unfamiliar places, the owner needs to give the dog directions and the dog then assesses whether it's safe to go that way.

So basically what they do is get their owner to their destination safely as they're taught how to take a safe, obstruction-free path and react to certain obstacles and potential threats that might be in their way, like stopping for traffic and stairs and such. They're basically a better version of the cane that lets their owner move more quickly and confidently. They can also do jobs around the home like fetching mail, but that's more for people with mobility issues as blind people can usually navigate their own home without any issues.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.