[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /an/. Since I've started playing with the dog as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Hello /an/.

Since I've started playing with the dog as my companion on Fallout 4, I've been thinking.

How plausible is it to have a dog with you in surviving this kind of post-apocalyptic wasteland (or wilderness in very hostile territory for a real world equivalent)? While dogs are man's best friend, I always assumed that that's mostly when there are more people around. If you're trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland alone, would a dog be a great help or would it actually get in the way by for example running off too far or attracting unwanted attention when silence and discretion is paramount?

I don't really know a lot about dogs, obviously, which is why I'm asking. Basically, is a dog still man's best friend if it's just the two of you trying to survive?
>>
>is a dog still man's best friend if it's just the two of you trying to survive

yeah pretty much
dogs have been bred to like humans and human attention and ultimately depend upon them
maybe if the dog in question was offspring of several lines of post-apocalyptic strays it might be a different story (like with feral cats) but honestly I think you could "tame" it even then under the right circumstances
>>
People first used dogs in the ice age, the closest real-world equivalent to a Bethesda game. You had to worry about exposure, freezing to death, starvation, dehydration, getting killed by animals, getting killed by people, getting killed by plants (poison).

All that, and people still found a use for domesticated wolves, enough to selectively breed them into dogs.

Ice Age was hardcore, yo. And dogs helped us through it. Post apocalypse would be no different.
>>
>>2021746
Dogs can be trained to not do stupid things.
>>
>>2021746
I imagine having an obedient dog like Dogmeat would definitely benefit you over being alone.

>tfw I found a friendly female mongrel dog the other day I wanted to keep instead of Dogmeat but it wasn't an option
>>
>>2022637
There's a guy who sells dogs.
>>
File: dogmeat.jpg (219 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
dogmeat.jpg
219 KB, 800x600
>>2022637
>>2022656
Its bs you can't just send it to one of your settlements like the rottweiler you can buy off of Gene. But that dog isn't a companion either.
Every single dog in this game would have been a better option than current Dogmeat who is just straight up given to you right away. I want a mangy mutt, it seems more suiting. Hell, fuckin Rex worked better than him.

I was also unaware just until now that Fallout 3 Dogmeat is suppose to be an australian cattledog. I always thought he was just a german shepherd mutt.
>>
>>2021746
taming animals is a basic requirement for survival and development of a civilization
>>
>>2022637
Look for a guy named gene. He wanders around settlements. Usually ones that you help set up for the minutemen. He wanders around with a mongrel dog that he will sell to you for 250 caps. Came across him randomly when i was helping out at outpost zimonja with their defenses. Don't know if the mongrel can permanently die though.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.