[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /an/ I just got a new job as dog handler/trainer/babysitter.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: Mountains and Milky Way.jpg (401 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Mountains and Milky Way.jpg
401 KB, 1920x1200
Okay /an/ I just got a new job as dog handler/trainer/babysitter. I'm on my sixth day today and this job is trying my patience. At any given time I have 15 dogs (yesterday upwards of 25) in a pack setting.
Does anyone have advice on how to be a better trainer/handler? I find I lose my patience easily, especially when it comes to the smaller dogs picking on the larger dogs, and then having to stop the larger dogs from stomping wee lil dachshunds into jelly.

Any advice for a starter dog trainer/handler?
I worked in a kennel setting previously, and as is common sense, dealing with one dog is easier than dealing with 15-25 at a time.

Pls halp, I love the dogs and I love this job but it drives me up the fucking walls. It's like babysitting a shit ton of toddlers, it's hilarious but extremely taxing mentally.
>>
I don't know where you work, but every "doggie daycare" I've ever been in has separated dogs by size first, and then activity level. So you'd have a small dog yard, and then maybe a high energy big dog yard and a lower energy big dog yard. Is your place of employment just letting the chihuahuas mingle with the mastiffs?
>>
sounds like a shitstorm and a liability
>>
>>2021504
First, recommend separting large and smalls. Some large dogs play well, but otherwise it is just a liability.
We use a plastic cricket bat with a bit of gravel in it to distract and scare off dogs when they're getting too rowdy.
Have a smaller pen you can separate a specific butthead into so the rest of the group can get a break.
But yeah, that job is always going to be like watching a herd of toddlers. Is called daycare for a reason.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.