[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exotic Pets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
If you understand the responsibilities needed to take care of one, and you follow the correct liscences, and you aren't keeping a pet of an animal in any sort of endangered status, why SHOULDN'T you be allowed to keep an exotic pet, like a Skunk, or a Raccoon, or a Fennec Fox, or a Coati, or something else in that caliber?

>muh irresponsible owner
Well, you don't like irresponsible owners of dogs or cats, why is this any different?
>>
raccoons and skunks or exotic in you'r cuntry? ill give you some.
>>
/an/ generally doesn't seem to care about people keeping exotics if they understand and meet their needs and have realistic expectations of what the animal is and how it will act. It's just that those people are the minority and rarely come to ask /an/ where to buy a wolf cub from.
>>
Taking your rights and controlling trade gets big businesses dicks to turn diamond.
>>
There's nothing wrong with it if you take the correct precautions and understand what you are doing, and can properly care for the animal. I think the biggest issue is, however, most people don't understand and don't know what they are doing. I've met good skunk owners before
>>
i generally think exotic pets are a bad idea, because once the novelty wears off- and it will wear off, you're just left with a shitty pet.
>>
>>2021610
All you're left with is an amazing extraordinary pet.
>>
>fennec fox
>raccoon

both terrible pets. skunks are cool if their stink glands are removed. but it's also that only about .5% people who want animals like foxes, wolves, etc actually know how to care for them and just want a special snowflake pet that in reality, they can't care for

and also that people need to be very careful where they get the animals from. the illegal exotic wildlife trade is shitty
>>
>>2021701
Almost every person who gets an exotic pet gets bored or overwhelmed with it after a while. Hell, even really common exotic pets like ferrets and chinchillas become too much for some people. Let alone an undomesticated animal like a fox or coatimundi.

I've been reading up on potential exotics I'd love to own, and I've got to see many of them first hand. In my opinion, skunks could easily be a common exotic like a ferret. They're so RIDICULOUSLY tame, and affectionate very much like a dog. They are literally more intelligent than dogs, too.

I have no problem with owning exotics of they're not endangered, born and bred in the US, and the owners/breeders can support the animals in every possible way it needs.
>>
>>2022638
Just because something is exotic doesn't mean it is hard to take care of.
Pretty much all of the really commonly available exotics are easier for most people to deal with than a lot of dog breeds are.
>>
>>2022641
Right, but most exotics are.
>>
>>2021483
There's nothing wrong with it, but those people are a very small minority. It keeps idiots who have no business having them from getting them as easily. And honestly, I would 100% support having to pass a test or something to get a license to keep dogs and cats.
>>
>>2021483
why do you need an exotic pet? My beef against most of them, especially wolves and wolfdogs, is that they're nothing but cum material for 15 year old furries. They're bred purely for money and they have no purpose. Most people who own them only care about gloating. Even responsible owners won't shut the fuck up.
>HAVE YOU SEEN MY WOLFDOG?
>I OWN A WOLFDOG!
>THIS IS A WOLFDOG WHICH I OWN!
>LOOK AT MY DOG! HES A WOLF!
>#WOLF #WOLFDOG #HALF WOLF #WOLF HYBRID #WOLF DOG #HUSKY WOLF MIX #WOLFDOG WHICH IS MINE THAT I PERSONALLY OWN
>>
>>2022638
I'd love to see skunks become more common. It'd be nice to have more information avaliable on exotic pets, even common ones like ferrets. Most people that don't own them offer mine things like lettuce and carrots, or walmart cat food.
>>
File: christmas-cat-and-dog.jpg (222 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
christmas-cat-and-dog.jpg
222 KB, 1920x1200
Who's going to see your pets in your house or backyard?

Sweden is full on stalin tier with pet bans, but I still have a few illegal ones, veterinarians don't care, slip them an extra 50bux when your animals need care and they wont report shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
>>2021483
I took in a baby raccoon after the mother was killed. The other baby hissed and ran off but one ran up my leg and I was his mom now. Adorable fucks. Luckily I didn't have to work that summer. He spent every minute with me. Because if I left him alone or in a cage he would cry and cry and cry and try to pry the door open. So I would have to leave him with family that lived with me. I lived in the country by a river and creek so it wasn't hard to try to teach him to find and eat food. I would catch him crawdads and he would messily eat them up. Berries, bugs, whatever he would eat in the wild. But he would go fucking nuts if I had a grape soda. Squealing and trying to take the can and drink it. He would sleep under the covers with me every night and cuddle real close. Would play like a dog/cat it was was really cut when he would jump and back up at the same time and charge nibbling at your hand. He was probably about the size of two fist. I was absolutely in love. Even took him swimming in the creek but he didn't like it so he sat on my head. I would not recommend a raccoon to anyone. Even experienced keeper. Even if you're a neet and spend all your time at home. The babies require months of constant attention before being able to be left alone. You won't be able to leave your house if you don't take him with you because he will get out of the cage and chew and cry very loudly. You can't just feed them your food either. The experience for me was 8/10 due to cuteness factor but i would have went insane if a rehabilitation didn't come and take him from me. It's as bad as having a newborn child.
>>
File: tumblr_nu3eio9dtZ1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg (506 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu3eio9dtZ1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg
506 KB, 1280x853
are tortoises exotic?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.