[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since I've started to volunteer at the raptor center, I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: humans.jpg (50 KB, 1075x537) Image search: [Google]
humans.jpg
50 KB, 1075x537
Since I've started to volunteer at the raptor center, I've looked at the human population very differently. It's shocking how many birds of prey are injured by people every year. If it weren't for reckless human activity, Wyoming might still be alive, Belle wouldn't have been stolen from her nest, and DDT wouldn't have crippled bird populations through the 20th century, just to name a few examples. It's horrible how little respect most people have for nature. I don't know how the human race will effect global sustainability, even if we somehow overthrow our corrupt one world government. After all, people are still going to be taking more than their fair share of resources, over-fishing our oceans, spraying our atmosphere with toxic chemicals, etc. The world would be a more balanced, peaceful place if the human race had a greatly reduced, more responsible and intelligent population, or if the human race wasn't even a factor. At the moment, we really serve no purpose.
>>
>>2021145
Moreso Americans than anyone else. Who cares about what's going on outside your suburb when it's cheap and easy to get a giant tv to watch Here Comes Honey Boo
>>
>>2021146
the problem is that, yes, americans do more damage to the environment than anyone else, but only because americans are the wealthiest, most advanced society out there.

so if we were going to cull a population we'd be stuck choosing the smartest or the least polluting, because the two are inversely related.
>>
>>2021145
you gonna eat those? i bet they'd taste meh
>>
>>2021158
kill yourself
>>
>>2021149
>smartest or the least polluting

Many northern European countries has higher GDP per capita than the U.S. AND lower resource use per capita.

Advanced economies with high level of automation that use lower amount of fossil fuel and emit less pollution is possible.

It just requires the will at both social, political, and individual levels and higher capital investment in newer, more energy-efficient equipments.
>>
>>2021188
>Many northern European countries has higher GDP per capita than the U.S. AND lower resource use per capita

the problem is that the US produces most of your technological innovation atm.

this isn't about group intelligence, the average American is pretty dumb. It has more to do with our ability to lure talent with offers of wealth.

sure, other countries are wealthier, but they aren't offering their wealth to the people that create it, the scientists and engineers.

conversely that technological achievement and the rewards we offer for it are the reason we're destroying our environment. Perhaps we'll one day aim that wealth and tech at improving the environment.
>>
>>2021145
uh
>>
welcome to the working in animal welfare club. most humans are scum
>>
>>2021146
>what is China?
>>
>>2021316
this

our country is still pathetic though :(
>>
>>2021316
The majority of China are poorfags who don't contribute much to pollution at all. It's the factories that produce shit cheaply to sate the western market that cause most of the pollution.
There's no point in blaming other countries because our global economy is so tightly woven that pretty much everyone is at fault.
No country is a closed system except maybe North Korea or Cuba
>>
>>2021355
If we're talking about general "giving a shit about animals" I can almost guarantee you china is multitudes worse.
>>
>>2021366
I thought this was about careless use of natural resources.
>>
>>2021145
We have a very inflated sense of self-importance.
If the human race disappeared tomorrow, there is nothing on earth that would not benefit.
>>
>>2021145
Animals exist to please us because humans number 7 billion and haven't lived in balance with the world since breaking 100 million.

Its less about space and more about sustainability. We need a plague to cull humanity.
>>
>>2021381
Sure there is, a couple species would go extinct. Most species would benefit though.
>>
>>2021145
All animals seek to maximize their own benefit.

Maybe nature was caught with it's pants down when it comes to humans, but honestly if nature doesn't like us, it should put some more severe checks in place. Maybe we will have a population collapse because we overstepped our bounds, who knows? Nature (life) will always go on unless the planet itself is completely destroyed like it will be once the sun goes out.

I do see it more likely that we'll just figure out a balance in the next thousand years, so long as we don't have any global crisis before that.
>>
>>2021390
>All animals seek to maximize their own benefit.
Go away Chicago. Your economic model is shit and has led to far too much suffering.
>>
>>2021393
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Yd2CbjNMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPwSEbCcX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5bsyHpTZAA
>>
>>2021382
Only a plague that effects humans though.
>>
>>2021417
and maybe carp, horses, pigs, domestic cats, zebra mussels and argentine ants
>>
OP here. I posted this on reddit and some faggot called me a totalitarian, and evil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/POLITIC/comments/3xsxjn/why_do_truthers_talk_about_depopulation_like_its/
>>
>>2021441
why don't you stay on reddit you faggot
>>
>>2021524
I made a brand new account on reddit specifically to post that because i knew it would make those fags angry. If you look closely, the only posts the account has made have been in that thread.

Also, what do you know? It did piss them off.
>>
File: image.jpg (419 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
419 KB, 2197x1463
>>2021417
All the humans disappearing means no one to keep the coolant flowing.
>>
>>2021544
oh shit, i never thought of that :/
>>
Birds of prey should die, anyway
>>
>>2021549
It's you again? Get the fuck out.
>>
>>2021149
China is the worst. But the world enables it.
>>
>>2021145
>complaining about wildlife issues
>named your patients like dogs

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>2021641
they were unable to be released to the wild, belle imprinted on humans because she was stolen by a falconer who didn't know what he was doing. And Wyoming was missing half of a wing, also I didn't name them. Most of the wildlife we take in end up being released,
>>
File: 1416685654916.gif (802 KB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
1416685654916.gif
802 KB, 264x264
>>2021441
>all that reductio ad Hitlerum
>b-but it's immoral
>>
>>2021210
>the average American is pretty dumb
Well compared to who? The majority of the world probably aren't as well educated as most Americans.. (Ex: places where children don't go to school or are forced to drop out a young ages)
>>
>>2021386
Extinction is, and had never been a bad thing. Animals adapt, its what it does, that's the fundamental rules of nature. If you can't adapt to survive your conditions then you move or die. That's what humans are so great at. Either nature will balance us out or something better will come along. Several species have become very accustomed to humans, and would certainly have a tough time without them
>>
>>2021966
>compared to who?
I think if you read it carefully you'll see I'm comparing them to the inventors of computer processors and the people that design new cancer treatments.

your hurry to defend them against comparisons I didn't draw would seem to indicate you're not one of the smart ones.
>>
>>2021976
So you are then?
>>
>>2021984
nope.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.