[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unsocailzed dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151202_170503_362.jpg (1 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_170503_362.jpg
1 MB, 1836x3264
So my family has a dog, a 10 year old chocolate lab that isn't fixed. And she's never really been socialized with other dogs, which gets really apparent during vet visits. She seems to be fine when she's in our yard and other dogs come up to visit or otherwise come under the fence (A Dachshund frequently roams the neighborhood and can wiggle under fences easy), but when we take her somewhere she gets really antsy around other dogs. She'll whine, pull on her lead, sometimes bark and if she gets close to the other dog they usually end up growling at each other while I pull her away. Shit's embarrassing as fuck for vet visits and means we can't really take her anywhere, she even got worked up over the posters of dogs in the vet's lobby.

I don't really have any idea what to do, at the vet I was staying calm and trying to reassure her, and when my dad takes her he just swats her on the nose when she acts up which I doubt really solves anything.
Also there's a second question which I'll save for the next post, not sure if it's behavioral or health-related
>>
>>2020926
Anyways, the next question is how the hell do I get her to stop licking herself?
I don't know when she started doing this, as she usually sleeps in my little brother's room, but when she was sleeping in my room I noticed that she would lick her privates for 10-15 minutes at a time fairly often. This shit is annoying as all hell because not only is her licking loud, but she's grunting or something, and she wants to go outside afterwards so she can drink water and do it again. It's driving me insane and she's waking me up in the middle of the night with this bullshit.

Also she does have fleas, no idea when she got them but our vet gave us NexGuard or something get rid of them.
>>
>>2020931
>how the hell do I get her to stop licking herself?
A cone. As simple as that. Really. A cone.
Didn't read anything else, I remember this thread, you've posted here before and /an/ has given you advice. You should have done what everyone else told you to do and fixed her. 10 years old is late to socialize. If you're not willing to take her to a class you might as well accept your dog's behaviors at this point and keep her on a tight leash at vet visits, it's not that fucking hard to put a no-pull harness on a bitch and keep her by your side, distance yourself from others, etc.
>>
It took you forever to make your own thread, and it's a mess.
Get to the point.
Be clear.
State your problems without adding a bunch of unneeded info.
>>
>>2020935
I posted in the dog general and got no advice on the issue

>>2020941
Honestly, I have no idea what info is needed and what isn't.
>>
>>2020926
>he just swats her on the nose when she acts up which I doubt really solves anything.

I don't get what you bleeding heart hippies think that letting the dog get away with improper actions will do for them in the long run.

Sure, positive reinforcement is the best training method but there are situations where it's impossible to give the dog positive feedback that will teach them that what they just did was wrong and that some other action is more preferable.

Anyway, as per your first question - your dog needs to be around other dogs. She's probably just scared because she isn't at her home where she is comfortable and the bigger problem is that she is old as fuck - too old to learn how to socialize.

Your second problem I can't fix. Your dog is not spayed and she probably licks herself for entertainment or bordem. Put an Elizabethan cone around her head or pay the $100 to get her fixed and maybe she will leave her vagina alone.
>>
>>2021038
Alright, honestly I've been worried about her getting with me like she is with my dad (Every time he reaches down to pet her she flinches like she's expecting to be hit). I will step up my negative reinforcement though from just putting her outside when she acts up/goes for the trash.

I'm planning to go to the petstore today and grabbing a cone and a harness like >>2020935 said and go from there.

Thanks
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.