[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Munchkin cats?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: munchkin2[1].jpg (55 KB, 420x280) Image search: [Google]
munchkin2[1].jpg
55 KB, 420x280
y/n
>>
n
i dislike every breeding that deforms an animal in a way that it hinders them, for the sake of some retarded idea of cuteness
>>
Are there any breeds of cat with extra long legs?
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 236x199) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 236x199
>>2020620
A properly bred Munchkin is not hindered much at all by the short legs. I am friends with someone who shows and breeds Munchkins. I have seen her Munks jump from the floor to the top of the fridge.

>>2020621
Yes. Breeds that have proportionally long legs include the Cornish Rex, the Peterbald and the Oriental group (Siamese, Colorpoint Shorthair, Oriental Shorthair, Balinese/Javanese, Oriental Longhair).

Pic related, a seal point Cornish Rex
>>
>>2020625

It's like a Giraffe fucked a Cat.
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 650x433
>>2020630
I like them, but I recognize that they aren't for everyone.
>>
>>2020625
And they have zero joint or spine problems associated with having short legs?
>>
File: 2390233504_87c5ac76af.jpg (155 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
2390233504_87c5ac76af.jpg
155 KB, 389x500
>>2020625
Also not being able to sit is something I would call hindered.
>>
I think they're really cute and I heard they don't have joint and muscle issues like dogs can but I'm not sure if it's true. I'm torn between wanting because cute and not liking them because potential issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 480x320
>>2020640
Nope.

>>2020642
Of course they can sit.
>>
>>2020640
There is no proof of that, in other words no one took the time to actually research it. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. There's a reason why popular cat fancy clubs refuse to recognize these cats yet.
>>
>>2020686
>There is no proof of that, in other words no one took the time to actually research it.
Yes, there have been several health studies.
>https://www.vetinfo.com/munchkin-cat-health-problems.html

>There's a reason why popular cat fancy clubs refuse to recognize these cats
There are two major cat clubs in the US, Cat Fanciers Association and The International Cat Asdociation.
The Munchkin is recognized by TICA. it is not recognized by the CFA. The CFA does not recognize new breeds or colors as quickly as TICA. They also believe that we do not need short legged, Rex coated, hairless, or curl eared versions of already existing breeds. While I agree with CFAs stance, I also believe the Munchkin is a breed that deserves recognition.
>>
File: 1415654600273s.jpg (2 KB, 90x125) Image search: [Google]
1415654600273s.jpg
2 KB, 90x125
>>2020620
this

any other answer comes from breed fags who are in denial that their pets are just inbred meat bags of selfishness.

pic related, it's a human if dog breeders where to breed humans the same way
>>
No. Breeding birth defects for cuteness is cruel and stupid, it is because of shit like that we have so much fucked up dog breeds like pugs. Whats worse if you breed two munchkins together there is a good chance the kitten will not be all munchkins, you could get a litter of normal kittens which would be useless to the breeder and contribute to the cat population.
>>
>>2020882
0/10
Apply yourself

>>2020886
>Whats worse if you breed two munchkins together there is a good chance the kitten will not be all munchkins
Before you complain about something, you should make sure you know what you are talking about.
The gene that causes short legs in Munks is dominant. One copy of the gene causes short legs. Two copies results in unviable fetuses that are absorbed by the mom before birth. Reputable breeders breed long legged to short legged for this reason. Breeding short legged to short legged would result in no viable kittens.

>you could get a litter of normal kittens which would be useless to the breeder
Long legged kittens are necessary to the breed. They are valuable to breeders because of this. Pet quality long legged Munks are also popular as pets.

>and contribute to the cat population.
Every cat born contributes to the population. I assume you mean pet overpopulation. The vast majority of unwanted cats are mutts. They are the product of lazy or ignorant owners, not good breeders (who routinely fix pet kittens before they go to their new home).
>>
>>2020620
/thread
>>
>>2020618
> wanting a deformed pet
> paying extra money for a deformed pet.
>>
>>2020915
You get more munchkins by breeding them together than by crossing them with a healthy cat. Also fewer normal cats to cull.
>>
>>2021071
>You get more munchkins by breeding them together than by crossing them with a healthy cat.
a reputable breeder only breeds healthy cats.
>Also fewer normal cats to cull.
First off, to cull only means to remove from the breeding population. Most kittens produced will be fixed because not every kitten is good enough to be bred.
Second the normal long legged Munchkins are needed for breeding. They are valued, they aren't just tossed out.
>>
It's funny that people get up in arms about munchkins but adore Scottish folds, when even the heterozygous folds have early onset arthritis and weaker cartilage.
>>
>>2021143
>implying the people complaining about munchkins doesn1t hate that crime against cats with a passion
i know i do
>>
>>2021143
I don't know anon, I see a ton of Scottish fold hate too. Along with Persian hate and Bengal hate. You just see the topic of munchkin more because it's a meme.

Also lol at this munchkin breeder ITT
>>
>>2021162
I don't breed Munchkins, I know a Munchkin breeder.
>>
>>2021143
No one posts about scottish folds. I haven't seen a thread about them in years, and even then people were up in arms about them.
>>
>>2021166
People do post about them. It's mostly negative bullshit. It's the same old "hurr muh cartilage deformity" anons who insist every SF is silently suffering its whole life. It doesn't matter how many studies you post saying otherwise, they keep repeating the same ignorant shit over and over. It's done to get a rise out of people.
>>
>>2021085
>a reputable breeder only breeds healthy cats.
Literally impossible.
>>
>>2021187
Are you suggesting all Munchkins are unhealthy, or that all purebred cats are unhealthy?
Either one is a bold claim.
How are you going to back that up?
Do you have any studies or scientific proof to back up your claims?
>>
>>2021195
I meant what I said. All breeders produce unhealthy animals. That's why health testing is a thing.
>>
>>2021197
You are misunderstanding that quote. I was addressing this
>>2021085
>You get more munchkins by breeding them together than by crossing them with a healthy cat.
This was implying that breeders would chose to breed with "unhealthy" Munchkins over a healthy cat.

I said, "breeders only breed healthy cats". As in, two healthy adult cats.
I was not saying that good breeders only produce healthy cats.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 600x399
>>
>>2020863
Notice how that isn't a study, or even referenced anything that may resemble actual information. This isn't facebook, just saying a vet told you something once doesn't amount to an actual study or research

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4020-3227-1_10#page-1

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1090023309003232

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2008.00572.x/full

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/vrs/2014VRSPposters/pdfs/Sellers.pdf

If you need help getting these for free, go to >>>/lit/
>>
>>2021563
First link is nothing.

Second link talks about genetic problems in purebred cats in general.

Third link mentions the Munchkin in only one sentence. It mentioned that arthritis is found in Munchkins. Which doesn't mean shit because a lot of cats get arthritis.

Third link is to a study with a population of only 7 cats

Your links mean nothing.
>>
>>2021571

>Second link talks about genetic problems in purebred cats in general.
>>>/lit/ because get this, it's a real book!

Third link mentions the Munchkin in only one sentence. It mentioned that arthritis is found in Munchkins. Which doesn't mean shit because a lot of cats get arthritis.
>>>/lit/ because get this, it's a real book!

A lot of cats get liver issues too, doesn't mean it can't be a breed specific issue. Dogs that aren't dalmations get deaf, so I guess dals being deaf isn't a breed related issue either.

Third link is to a study with a population of only 7 cats
Notice how it even says that it was the first research of the cats of it's time. No one before that article was published did such research, and you are claiming the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence. That PDF even said more researched had to be done, because guess what? No one else had done the research before.

How about this; prove to me that you aren't actively trying to be ignorant. Notice how you only gave me one site with the word vet in it that provided no source or even any relevant information. Knowledge only means nothing if people aren't willing to accept it.
>>
>>2021571
In a study of 7, with so many cats showing debilitating issues, you don't think that already looks bad? If the case was raised to a few hundred, it would make your breed look even worse. If anything, right now you can try to say it's a small sample size and therefore means nothing of the breed as a whole, but you're statement that the munchkin cat has no related health issues is already fucked by it.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.