[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Savannah and Bengal house cats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (974 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
974 KB, 640x1136
/an/ what are your thoughts on these breeds?

I'm the kind of person who has no friends and is a loner, but I love animals and pets.
I'm getting ready to live alone, and I'm not sure if my old dog will be able to make the journey with me(she probably will). I think I'd like to get a second pet, a cat to keep her and I extra company.
But while I love cats, typical cat behavior isn't too appealing, Bengals seem more "dog" like in their affection, obedience and ability to be trained. Is that true?
Thoughts?
>>
File: image.png (917 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
917 KB, 640x1136
>>2020337
Another pic of the same cat
Pretty sure he's a Bengal kitten
>>
>>2020337
>Bengals seem more "dog" like in their affection, obedience and ability to be trained. Is that true?
no.
>>
I'd consider waiting until your dog has passed away. It's fairly unusual for cats and dogs to really enjoy each other's company and she may just find it stressful having something as active as a Bengal or Savannah kitten around the house.
>>
>>2020339
Hmm
So, any cat can be trained then, correct?
>>2020347
I've considered this, I don't want to get a cat ASAP, and I've also considered getting an older cat or dog so that a baby isn't annoying her.

She's 11 and a half, I don't want her to die anytime soon obviously, but to be frank, I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle her death without another friend.
>>
>>2020337
>But while I love cats, typical cat behavior isn't too appealing

Then don't get a hybrid cat you moron. Hybrid cats are like regular cats x 10.
That's like not likeing dogs and getting a wolf hybrid.

If you want a dog-like animal, get another dog.
>>
>obedience
>cats
>a bengal cat at that

I actually laughed.
What about cat behavior do you not find appealing, OP? You honestly aren't going to find a cat that mimics a dog, and while some might have slight 'dog-like' personalities they're still cats.
>>2020530
If you have a problem with some cat behaviors then I think it would be a good idea for you to adopt an older cat. Interact with some and see what one 'clicks' with you but also keep in mind that it might be absolutely fucking terrified for a few days when it comes home at first. That's normal.
>>
>>2020535>>2020553
well i like cats, but cats are generally more aloof and "disobedient" than say a typical dog is all. I dont mind it, but if I were to have only 1 pet, I'd prefer it be a dog.......but thats not the plan here, I want to have both.
The nice thing about a cat is that s/he will be more self-sufficient than a dog.

I dont "dislike" cats at all, a cat that cats like a dog would be great, lol, but thats not quite what I'm after, I just dont want a cat that acts like s/he hates me and doesn't give a shit about me.

I have been thinking about an older cat, and I think that would be better anyway, considering the dog is almost 12 years old.
>keep in mind that it might be absolutely fucking terrified for a few days when it comes home at first. That's normal.
okay i wasn't sure about that, this is good to know.

Part of the reason I want a second pet is to keep my dog company; a "pet's pet" so to speak.
>>
>>2020337
I've seen 2 Bengal cats appear at the shelter I work at over the summer. That is more than any other confirmed cat breed we received in that short of a time. They apparently will go bat shit crazy and get aggressive, almost like a rabid aggressive but less drowsy. That's my only experience with them. To me, they are just feral cats that aren't scared of people.
>>
Tonkinese cat, no question, they are a lot more dog like and affectionate only problem is they are a vocal breed.
>>
Op do not get a Bengal. It does not fit what you are looking for AT ALL. Get an elderly rescue from a shelter instead.
>>
>>2020687
>Part of the reason I want a second pet is to keep my dog company; a "pet's pet" so to speak.

To be honest, the chances of it working out this way are pretty slim. If YOU want a cat, your pets can absolutely learn to deal with each other, but a lot of the time, cats and dogs will only tolerate each other at best. Cats often just do not want or need the company of a dog, while dogs are much more friendly and sociable, but can see cats as prey or do not understand a cat's body language and that it needs to spend a lot of time napping or having personal space, that it doesn't like dogs always getting in its face and that it would rather not express affection as enthusiastically as dogs do. You do get dogs and cats that appear to enjoy each other's company, but it's rare, especially when the dog is elderly and at an age when it's likely to be a little fussy and upset by changes in what it knows.

If YOU want a cat, look for an adult that has experience with dogs and it should work out fine if you introduce them slowly and supervise them, just be aware that there is a good chance they will not provide companionship to each other.
>>
>>2020687
>I just dont want a cat that acts like s/he hates me and doesn't give a shit about me.
Then your best bet is to actually get a specific breed that's known for that, like a russian blue. Random cats vary wildly in personality and you could end up with a bitchy one.
>>
>I love cats but I don't actually like anything about cats
>I want a cat that's actually a dog

Just get a dog, holy shit. Bengals are cats, and Savannahs are like double cats.

Get a cat-sized dog.
>>
>>2020687
OP,
Go to the shelter and meet with as many cats as you can. When you are alone in the visiting room and one of the cats you view comes up to you immediately, purrs, meows at you, rubs on you, or looks for your attention, get that cat.

Bengals usually have more negative behaviors than good.

Found my new bro this way at the shelter a few weeks ago, and she's a real love bug. I'm glad I took the time to see so many of the cats one on one.
>>
Ah, I've been looking for a thread like this. I've recently been granted tenure and I finally have become stable enough to own an animal. I've raised a couple cats and a bird back in my teenage years, so I think I'm ready for a challenge. Does anyone here have experience with a Lynx? I want to buy one that's as little as possible (preferably 1 month). Would a small one be difficult to find from a breeder? How difficult would it be to get a permit in Massachusetts?
>>
>>2021220
>thisisbait
>>
>>2021224
I don't know why you think it is. After a conference I'll be taking a ~2 month leave where I'll have plenty of time to devote to him. After my leave I'll probably have to leave him home, but I wouldn't mind taking a 2 hour in some park with him, to let him stay exercised and healthy. I've read about Lynx's being domesticated so I think I could work something out.
>>
>>2021232
>thebaitparttwo
>>
>>2021220
>How difficult would it be to get a permit in Massachusetts?
extremely.
>in some park
you're retarded.
>>
>>2021233
>>2021235
I've spoken to somebody that works at an animal reserve and he made it clear to me that they're not bad pets provided that you know what you're doing. I'm 100% willing to gather info, and considering money isn't an issue I should be able to handle their costs. Does anyone here actually have any helpful input?
>>
>>2021238
you have no clue what you're doing and it'd be a horrible pet.
>>
>>2020337
If you are going to be moving I would highly recommend waiting to get a new animal until you dog gets properly adjusted to his new home. This is for not just your dog but also the cat.

Your dog will find both the move and the new animal very stressful. If you are already worried about the stress of the move killing your dog, do not get the cat until he has had a few weeks to get used to the new place.

Moving is extremely stressful for cats. Adopting a cat will put it under a lot of stress, then just as it may be calming down and getting used to there also being a dog, it will have its world changed again by the move. The back-to-back stressors could be very traumatic.

Do what is best for both animals and wait
>>
>>2020337
Bombay
>>
I have a Bengal and I breed Savannahs. Both are very athletic and can possibly get along with dogs. I have a few that like to fetch but nothing obsessive like some dogs. Virtually any cat breed can possibly be harness trained to walk. Bengals and Savannahs are pricey from $2000-$15000 so if you feel comfortable walking that kinda money on a harness that will never work if they really want out. The problem isn't always the cat running first but dog's will always see cats as prey even if they don't run.

When it comes to personality they're all as different as people so you really need to trust your breeder matches the personality that fits your existing family. And make sure you're city or state allows.

I grew up having only dogs and no cats. Bengals and Savannahs were my gateway to cats and I recommend them to anyone who wants a unique beautiful family member that could last 20yr+.

If you're serious, I owe a woman a favor who has Savannah kittens now. You could at least get pics.
>>
>>2021341
What's your cattery name?
>>
>>2021232
I feel like something needs to be explained to you. Lynxes are not domesticated. They have never been domesticated. They probably never will be domesticated. Domestication takes many generations of selective breeding and changes animals on a genetic level. The word you're looking for is "tamed". Wild animals can be tamed. That does not mean they have been domesticated.

Also, >>2021220 is a caracal, not a lynx.
>>
She's always posting her kitten pics on Facebook
'Puncia Cats' is her business name.
>>
>>2021513

>Website has been removed, only has a business Facebook page treated like a personal one. No mention of anything business related other than a phone number
>Has a handful of blurry, poorly lit, unposed, and often unlabeled shots of almost exclusively adult cats (gender generally unlisted) lounging around a cluttered home.
>states litter has been born with no discussion of lines, shots (or even listing the number) of the kittens, naming/pictures of the father, mentions of health testing, etc.
>based on op's comments continues to charge thousands for a kitten
>last update Feb 2014

This is byb as shit.
>>
I was under the impression that Bengals are not exactly capable of being housetrained. That alone = disqualified
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.