[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lunging a dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: long_reining.jpg (71 KB, 650x300) Image search: [Google]
long_reining.jpg
71 KB, 650x300
Hey /an/.

I've had shit luck the past two weeks.
Company location closed and I was transfered to a new city. Away from friends (no contact with family). Upon coming here I broke my leg painting my new place. I'm to be off of it at least another three weeks.

I have my dog with me who is a medium breed and high energy.
I use to be able to take him on one to two hour walks daily which keeps him level. Of course in an air cast with crutches this isn't an option. I've took to lunging my dog much like you would a horse to check its gait and exercise it. My dog loves it. Took to it right away. It's simpler for me because its less walking and I can keep up with him.

Are there any issues with this? It's only temporary until my cast is off and I finish my pysio. It's the only way I've found to keep him level and exercised while I heal. Obviously I have him on shorter cycles since he's doing full runs.
>>
I don't know if it's viable for you (can you drive?), but in the country my mother often runs their three dogs beside/behind their car when she visits the cattle or horses in other paddocks.

This is only viable for her due to the remoteness of some of the dirt roads (so no cars), and the lack of prey animals in the area (they stop chasing kangaroos when called anyway).
>>
That really is pretty shitty luck, but at least I can't see any problems with running your dog in circles. Only thing I can suggest is making sure he runs both clockwise and anti-clockwise- it's probably less important with dogs as they're much smaller and less affected by slight imbalances, but horses need to be lunged in both directions for balance and flexibility and it won't hurt him to change direction. If he likes fetch, that can also be pretty good as he's sprinting repeatedly while you're sitting still- you can get those handy toys that let you throw a tennis ball further with minimal effort too.
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.