[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've found a stray cat not too long ago, brought her to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1439183493144.gif (2 MB, 449x290) Image search: [Google]
1439183493144.gif
2 MB, 449x290
I've found a stray cat not too long ago, brought her to the vet and turns out she is about 50-55 days old. Was told to feed her 35 grams of kibble and half of canned food a day. She barely touches the kibble though. We went to the vet last Tuesday and since then she only ate 15 grams in four days instead of her supposed 35 a day.

On the opposite every time I give her canned food she eats it all, barely have the time to give it to her and she already jumps on me to eat everything in the can, so she currently eats like 5 grams of kibble if lucky and a whole can of canned food. Before I used to just put a whole can together with the kibble in her bowl and let her eat all she wanted, and she used to eat a whole can with some kibble in a day, but now if I give her a whole can on the spot she could easily eat all of it immediately, so it starts to make me wonder if I'm making my cat starve or something.

The vet says to not put canned food on the floor together with kibble because bacteria can easily get on it or something like that, and only leave it on the floor for no longer than 15 minutes (which never happens because she eats it all when I give it to her), and he insists I keep giving her only half a can a day, and if she starts starving or something she will eventually have to resort to kibble. I can't stop getting worried and thinking I should feed her more though, she goes crazy when she sees me getting the cans or her bowl, even more crazy when I start cooking food for myself, keeps climbing on my legs to try and get to the food, I'm forced to close her inside a room and hear her cry from the other room or she will keep trying to eat my food. Her scratches also get very mean during that.

What should I do? Should I give her more canned food? Maybe just put as much as possible in her bowl and if she is done eating it after 15 minutes I remove it from the floor to avoid bacteria?
>>
Just give her canned, vet is being silly, you could feed 100 percent decent wet food or kibble either way but of course the cats going to prefer the wet stuff.

15 minutes not giving more than half a can, that guy is some kind of nutty hack or something. Bacteria seriously... Don't worry about bacteria ffs cat eat wild shit they catch from who knows where... Just don't let it eat stuff that's been left out for more than oh 18 hours or so. And get a vet that's less ri-fucking-diculous. im sorry you've been hassled by such a crazy person
>>
>>2019904
Seriously? Wew, I know nothing about cats but that sounds like bad time. I'll definitely go check another vet next time. Still I hope I can get some more replies about this, hope you don't get offended if I don't immediately trust some random anon on 4chan instead of a vet, even though I don't exactly trust him as well. She was never crying, scratching and complaining before I went to him and started not putting canned food on the floor anymore.
>>
It's only a stray cat, not some sort of exotic animal that can only be fed certain things. If you feed your cat at the same time(s) everyday, the problem of your cat bothering you while you're trying to make your own food should go away so make some sort of feeding schedule (it did for all the cats that I've owned so I'm just speaking personal experience here). My cats always went nuts when I shook the kibble box or showed them a can of wet food.

You're worrying about this too much.
>>
>>2019924
What do you think about the bacteria stuff? Should I keep giving him food at a regular schedule like I'm doing now or always leave the wet food on the ground like I do with kibble? Should I maybe increase the amount of times I feed him with canned food? I feed him three times currently, 1/3rd of the can each time, so a whole can a day, but he barely eats any kibble.
>>
>>2019915
Your vet may still be a good vet, the problem is their nutrition knowledge is heavily influenced by giant food manufacturers who push dry food because it's insanely profitable.
>>
>>2019946
So there are no consequences on just feeding wet food? I'm still worried about this bacteria thing, wouldn't want her to catch any disease I could've avoided, especially when she is so young.
>>
>>2019950
Dude, wet food is better than dry pet food. u coul alsongive her bolied chicken wirhout bones. My cat loves cooked chicken
>>
>>2019950
There are no consequences of feeding just wet food, it's fine. However, unlike what the other person said, the vet is right about how long you should leave it out. Put the wet food out for her to eat for no longer than 20 minutes, then stick the rest in the fridge to use when it's meal time again that day. If she eats it all in that time, that's fine too.

Also, you should start reading the cans to see how much they recommend feeding, since theirs will be considering a wet food only diet. You're probably fine though, since kittens that young should be eating just about all they can muster anyway.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.