[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reptile & Amphibian General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: JCaveGeckoJustinKMorash.jpg (93 KB, 799x601) Image search: [Google]
JCaveGeckoJustinKMorash.jpg
93 KB, 799x601
old thread >>2013237

Pic is a Japanese cave gecko.
>>
File: 22597125239_a111060866_h.jpg (326 KB, 1190x1000) Image search: [Google]
22597125239_a111060866_h.jpg
326 KB, 1190x1000
these threads are bullshit and I hate them.
>>
File: rosybLichanura-trivirgata.jpg (98 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
rosybLichanura-trivirgata.jpg
98 KB, 700x465
>>2019325

kk
>>
File: goniurosaurus-orientalis.jpg (397 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
goniurosaurus-orientalis.jpg
397 KB, 800x533
>>
File: ksbmisnake.jpg (47 KB, 600x357) Image search: [Google]
ksbmisnake.jpg
47 KB, 600x357
>>
If I had a large enough setup could an anole and a florida box turtle cohabit a tank? If I were to try this i would be sure to have a tall tank with plenty of branches to climb up on. I would also have a perch setup where the anole could get food and water and the turtle wouldn't be able to get to it.
>>
File: w_hognosealbino.jpg (329 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
w_hognosealbino.jpg
329 KB, 1024x600
hognoodle best noodle.

captcha: noodles
>>
>>2019335
No. Rule of thumb, you can't cohabit different species of reptiles.
>>
>>2019335
Yeah, you could do this. Just make sure you have some basking spots for the anole. As long as they have similar requirements, I wouldn't worry. Worst case scenario, the turtle eats the anole.
>>
>>2019358
>Worst case scenario, the turtle eats the anole.
the thing is that it's also the most likely scenario.
>>
>>2019358
>>2019363
turtles are vicious. I lost my uncle to an turtle
>>
>>2019335
Yes, but that's only if you actually have an extremely large setup. Turtles and arboreal reptiles could work fine, just not in an aquarium or etc.
>>
>>2019375
Those are amphibians being eaten by a monkey.
>>
File: picasso male.jpg (271 KB, 576x341) Image search: [Google]
picasso male.jpg
271 KB, 576x341
Getting ready to put a deposit on two new BRBs.

My Picasso stripe ended up dying, and I got a necropsy done on her, and she died from a septicemia infection (blood infection). The vet says it most likely was either caused by an over-sized meal paired with too low of temps, or a mouse that was bad.

The breeder offered me a discount on a new baby, and I ended up choosing two of them because I couldn't choose. They'll be here in the spring, when weather warms up reliably.

This one is the brother to the one that died, a male Picasso stripe.
>>
File: hypo female.jpg (255 KB, 576x303) Image search: [Google]
hypo female.jpg
255 KB, 576x303
>>2019421
And a female hypo. The male I originally wanted ended up being held back by the breeder, but I figure I want some more girls in my collection, and she was the best-looking girl available.

Her parents were of high-red parentage, so hopefully she'll turn out into a nice bright adult.
>>
File: 1426100599975.png (69 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
1426100599975.png
69 KB, 226x223
>Walk into my local PetCo the other day to see what they got
>Rainbow boa with no hides
>Leos on sand
>Five mid-sized beardies in one tank
>AND on sand
>Two BP's with retained sheds in one tank with one hide
>Two corns in one tank, with one hide
>Says beardies 'thrive off human interaction!'
I've never wanted to commit arson before that very moment.
>>
>>2019426
can't they get in trouble for this?
>>
>>2019427
Not that anon, but most likely no. You can try and bring it to attention to corporate or animal control, but there's no guarantee it will work.

I've heard of stories where doing this has helped to make pet stores better, but in general nobody cares about reptiles.

Best to try, I guess. If nothing else, you'll be a thorn in their side.
>>
Where can I find tropical Anolis species available to purchase that live in the same location as Dendrobates leucomelas (yellow banded dart frog)?

I plan on making a 75+ gallon neat tank that houses more than one species.
>>
Why are reptiles so much cuter than all other animals?
>>
Is the anon with the 30 year old blue tongue still lurking? Or anyone with a blue tongue can answer, Im wondering what substrate works the best with them. Ive heard that the paper mulch that people use with rabbits works well because they like to burrow. Is that true?
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 750x1334
>>2019323
At my local family owned pet store the other day picking up some food for muh albino king snek. Got to look at this mex mex.
>>
>>2019421
>>2019422

God, brb's are so pretty. Best of luck with the new sneks, anon.
>>
>>2019430
Reptilian master race, anon. Join the conspiracy.
>>
>>2019420
I think you misunderstood what I meant.
The sand would be at least an inch or two below the rocks.
Sand isnt some magical toxic substance like you seem to think it is. As long as he cant eat a mouthful or walk on it he'll be fine
>>
File: IMG_0663.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0663.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Guess who's not having fun with their latest shed.
>>
>>2019429
Go with mourning geckos instead. They cohab pretty well with darts, and don't get as large as most anolis species.
>>
>>2019599
It's not that sand is toxic, it's that they can ingest it and get impaction
>>
>>2019599
Just go with some slate tiles.

Not only will it look better, but it will retain heat better and be easier to clean.
>>
>>2019639
But if it's over an inch under the rocks, how is he going to eat it?
>>
File: handling.jpg (48 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
handling.jpg
48 KB, 600x800
Is this pretty much how handling a crestie goes?
He was just climbing all over my arms and jumping across my hands

Also, does he look healthy? He's my first reptile and I worry. He shed fine a few days ago and he's really energetic. I see him lick water off his plants but I rarely see him eat
>>
>>2019680
Yep! That is crestie handling. They aren't much for sitting still when they're young. As they get older they do slow down a bit, but they'll always be pretty active when you hold them.

Health-wise he looks fine. It's difficult to catch them eating; in part because they seem to prefer to eat late at night and also the little ones do not eat very much at all. Like half a bottle cap of cgd is a full meal for them. Once he hits gecko 'puberty' at about ten months to a year-ish old, his appetite will increase a lot along with a growth spurt.

You're doing just fine.
>>
I had my Leopard gecko for 25 years. My new apartment in my new state allows no reptiles. Is there a way I can counter this? My friend back in the state I was raised in had some gorgeous beardie babies, and I want one so bad. They are wonderful, and I miss a herp in my life.

Can I convince them, since it isn't a snake?

(FYI I moved from Alabama, where you could have a Green Anaconda with no worries, to Denver CO, where even Pitt bull mixes are euthanized upon sight or surrender... And I hate Pitt Bulls mostly, unless they hog hunt)
>>
>>2019684
Talk to the landlord upfront about it. Find out why the rule exists and maybe offer to pay a deposit while pointing out that a beardie won't harm the apartment any way if it escapes and that there's no way it'd really even get out in the first place.
>>
>>2019684

>pittbull mixes are euthanized on sight

Moving asap.
>>
>>2019688

Most apartments don't allow reptiles not because of what they are, but rather, because of what they eat - vermin and pests.
>>
>>2019599
Sand is a loose substrate. The shifting of the tile will, and I mean WILL, force grains up to the surface. Where they can be ingested or become stuck in soft tissue. Even just one grain in an eye or cloaca can cause serious damage or even death, it's called an infection. Sand is crawling with bacteria because you can't clean it, and it's small and can tear tissues.

>>2019678
It will shift up to the top because of the movement of the tiles. I said that in the last thread, and I'm saying it again here. Twice. Sand weighs less than slate, so it will shift to the top.

Unless you put one whole piece of tile on top of it and seal the edges, it will come to the top. In which case, why are you bothering with sand at all?
>>
>>2019698
Sand cant float and get on top of thing that are on top of it.
You're really dumb and missing the whole idea.
>>
>>2019699
>substrate that is 100% proven to be bad for reptiles
>hurr i'll use it anyway it can't float xDDD it'll be fine!
You should have any pets taken away from you for their safety
>>
>>2019699
It's the same principle where if you shake a box of Lucky Charms all the marshmallows will come to the top. The movement of the tiles as the lizard moves around or you mess around in the cage will cause grains to shift to the top.

Notice I'm saying "shift" not float here.
>>
File: IMG_0667.png (1 MB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0667.png
1 MB, 1000x1333
Instead of shitposting about sand, here's my new set up.
>>
File: IMG_0668.png (1 MB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0668.png
1 MB, 1000x1333
And here's my Eclipse girl wondering what the fuck is going on.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bno-qsnbUA

I need a lizard like that
s o o n
>>
>>2019698
Oh man, settle down. A small amount of sand in a terrarium that otherwise has a tile and rock substrate is not a problem at all. Your 'one grain of sand' example is absurd. The whole problem with sand is when it is used as the primary substrate with the inhabitant having to walk/slither through it constantly.
>>
>>2019701
AFAIK, the problems with sand are from people who keep herps on calcium sand or people who keep herps that in the wild are on a sand/soil mixture on just playsand. A few grains of sand won't hurt anything. You're being paranoid. Do you think they're kept on slate tiles in the wild?
>>
>>2019759
No, but at the same time, they're not on sand 24/7. Leos live in crevices and the nooks and crannies of rock formations.

They come across sand during their travels, yes. But they're not ingesting it, breeding in it, sleeping in it.
>>
File: 28tkrcn.jpg (37 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
28tkrcn.jpg
37 KB, 600x402
>>2019764
You can do bio for a leo just as easy, you just need lots of places for them to climb on. This is a good example of a bio setup for a leo. No one's saying that they should be sitting in pure sand, but they're not going to seek out bits of sand in an enclosure like this to kill themselves with it. Same with the dude talking about putting sand under the tiles.
>>
>>2019767
Yeah, that looks fine.

But I'm 100lbs soaking wet and cleaning out 40lbs of sand every month is a no-go for me.

That's why I do racks.
>>
>>2019767
You don't need 40 lbs.

I used some sandstone pavers from the garden department in Home Depot over excavator clay that I hardened around it.

The pavers can come out of the excavator if I need to scrub them.

And because I used excavator I can do quick cleanings with a shop vac.
>>
File: IMG_0665.png (1 MB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0665.png
1 MB, 1000x1333
He was licking his tub earlier. It was pretty funny.
>>
Is sand in a terrarium worse than outside cats?
>>
>>2019756
One grain of sand really could cause an infection. Having it as the only substrate is only going to increase that chance. The more grains that get stuck in soft tissue, the higher the chance. But even one grain can cause an infection, because all it takes is a microscopic cut and an immune system not ready to deal with it, or some really nasty bacteria, and then you get an infection. Infections lead to death if not treated.

>>2019759
All sand is a problem, calcium sand is just even worse because it's toxic on top of all the other problems.

The main issue of what the other person is describing is it WON'T lead to an even where only one grain will make it to the animal. The process will be slow, but eventually hundreds/thousands of grains can be scattered on top of the slate. Which isn't much, considering how many grains it takes to fill up a space, but it's clearly visible and is still dangerous. The lizard can still get a mouthful.
>>
>>2019841
>but eventually hundreds/thousands of grains can be scattered on top of the slate
Are you saying people never clean their tanks? Do you not clean yours?
>>
is sand a dank new herp general meme?
>>
>>2019987
It's just some fag who thinks sand is a magical toxin. And that animals actively seek sand to kill themselves with.
>>
File: 2015-12-19-171450.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-19-171450.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
Is this an acceptable pad/sensor setup for a corn? Should i change the location of either? Excuse the potato lighting and quality, getting that sorted properly in the morning.
>>
>>2019820
>>2019724
I'm thinking about getting a leo. Are they noisy at night? It would be quite close to my bed and I can't fell asleep if something is constantly making noise in my room.
>>
>>2020011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmnNhYrkfT0
>>
>>2020018
Hmmm. I could put him on the other side of the room but there is a window and I'm worried that he could catch cold in winter when I open window to get some fresh air. Are they prone to that?
>>
>>2020002
No you want the heat source on the floor of the tank. Putting it on the side isn't going to do much of anything. Put probe in warm side hide.
>>
>>2020021
Anon is trolling you. Leos very rarely vocalize like that. They are completely silent almost always. The most you'll hear is leo climbing around; soft shuffles and scraping sounds if they're trying to grip a scratchy surface.
>>
>>2020025
I know it's not that bad but I'm taking to consideration the worst case scenario. I don't want to be irresponsible owner that buys pet and then realize it won't work out.
>>
>>2020022
Shop owner recommended having it on the side or back of the viv but the floor makes more sense to me. Once the mat is on the floor should I move the hide directly on top of the mat or just near it?
>>
File: koopasm1.jpg (57 KB, 700x440) Image search: [Google]
koopasm1.jpg
57 KB, 700x440
I have a serious question about bearded dragons.
What point does weight become unhealthy for female beardies?
I have two dragons I got off Craigslist about two years ago. The owner loved them, but had not done good by them. He fed them adult crickets from the beginning, so the boy (Toby) has nerve damage and can't really use his limbs right. And both have missing toes. But as adults they seem bonded.
Thing is, my house is a 20+ year old single wide, so when I started having problems with their lamps popping my breakers, I moved them to my mom's. They love it. They have free range of their room all day with basking rocks and places to hide and climb. They get their vitamins, but my mom feeds them both greens and superworms multiple times a day.
The two dragons have great color, and Toby's legs are actually showing some improved mobility, but my female (Koopa) lays a large clutch of eggs every 2-3 months and weighs around three pounds (3lb.s). They don't hibernate.
I think they're both beautiful, but every other dragon I see now looks so skinny.
-pic related. Its my girl, Koopa about a week ago-
>>
>>2020032
Put hide on top but be careful. Those mats get hotter than a corn snake's safety range without a device to regulate them. Thermostat strongly recommended. The hydrofarm one sold by Amazon will run you about 30 buck and works fine.

Your terrarium is wood, right? The safest way to go about this is to drill a number of ventilation holes in the floor of the tank where you want to put the heat mat. Place mat above the vent holes, place one ceramic or slate tile above the mat. Attach thermostat probe to the top of the tile and finally place hide on top of that. This ensures your heat mat can disperse excess heat effectively and will prevent your corn from making direct contact with the pad.

If that sounds like too much work, just use a ceramic heat emitter with a screen guard instead.
>>
>>2020039
Only offer food every second day. Multiple daily feedings is way too much. And cut back on the supers.
>>
>>2020039
Your girl is morbidly obese.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Rate my cresty's lair.

Also is repti bark bad? I've heard differing opinions. He doesn't eat a lot of crickets.

I have trouble getting him to eat insects in general. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2020011
Nope, they're not noisy at all. That video is a baby Leo, who scream as a defense mechanism because they're scared of everything.
>>
>>2020061
Quality crestie housing. Repti bark isn't optimal. It's not a big deal. Watch out for mold growth though. Add some moss and a culture of springtails to remove any chance of mold growth. Springtails will breed like crazy in the moss and keep your substrate nice and clean.

Some cresties never care much for insects. Instead, you can boost their protein intake with repashy grubs n' fruit or pangea fruit mix with insects. Feeding response for the pangea in particular is very strong. Clean bowls always with that flavour.
>>
>>2020039
Jesus christ, i wasn't even aware a bearded dragon could be THAT grotesquely overweight.

Thats definitely unhealthy, cut the food way back.
>>
>>2019344
Easterns and Westerns both fucking illegal in my state. Goddamnit DNR let me have one.
>>
>>2020096
Get a xenodon
>>
>>2019323
I hope to God there;s someone on this slow ass board who is here, does anyone have any dehumidifier recommendations? I've got a bearded dragon, thehumididity is 30-34 during the day, but shoots up to fucking 60-70 at night. All I need is something for one relatively small bedroom.
>>
>>2020127
>>2020096

I have looked in to a lystrophis (xendontinae) tricolour hoggy a little bit. Western hognoses are illegal to own as pets here in Alberta as well because there are native sub species here. Not many folks breeding tricolours here though so the sticker price is pretty steep.
>>
>>2020151
I've never had to use one but I don't think there is a great deal of difference between the brands. Something designed for single room should be adequate.
>>
>>2020157
Thanks, it seems like the smaller ones built for singular rooms have the worst reviews, which is really pissing me off.
>>
>>2020039
>pacman frog with scales
>>
>>2020039
BRING ME SOLO
>>
>>2020156
I have basically the same problem. The farther they get from native the more expensive I find them.
>>
File: my sides.png (12 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
my sides.png
12 KB, 390x470
>>2020039
>>2020161
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPf-MRKITg
>>
>>2019982
It's not a matter of whether or not you clean it, unless you clean it multiple times a day.

>>2019990
Never anywhere did I say a toxin, except concerning calcium sand. Which is, indeed, a toxin.

And yes, lizards will seek out and harm themselves on sand. Lizards lick things. Sand hangs around everywhere. Not difficult math. Not sure what's with your weird obsession with sand that you feel the need to say it's harmless when it very much isn't.
>>
File: frog_sweat.png (102 KB, 240x227) Image search: [Google]
frog_sweat.png
102 KB, 240x227
>>2020211
>starwars threads won't leave me alone
>>
>>2020299
Hey, look at it this way - at least we're not being memeing fucks about it. It ain't /v/ or /tv/ nigga
>>
File: DSC00112.jpg (2 MB, 3680x2070) Image search: [Google]
DSC00112.jpg
2 MB, 3680x2070
>>2020274
I bet it blows your mind that I keep my geckos on dirt and they're not even dead at all.

Pic related, male is sitting inside a planter filled with dirt. Not dead or anything. Neat how that works.
>>
>>2020312
>argument about sand
>dirt
>arboreal gecko
>>
>>2020318
Guy said lizard, didn't specify which kind in that post. Reptiles aren't so fucking retarded that they will intentionally seek out shit just to commit Sudoku with. You have to be fucking up somehow for them to decide "welp I'm going to eat sand and die"

Also, like I said, he spends most of the day sitting in a raised planter full of dirt. They're really not just going to seek out every crumb of substrate and consume it. Being a day gecko doesn't make it special.

I keep multiple reptiles bioactive, none have ever "consumed substrate". Yes, it's a problem sometimes with leos, but as long as you're sure that you have their care alright and they're not fucking lying in it 100% of the time, a little substrate in the enclosure by itself wont kill them, especially not in the small amounts that other anon mentioned he was using. That's my issue.

Taken from a guide to bioactive desert reptiles:

"All cases of impaction happen solely because of bad husbandry. The small amount of substrate a lizard will ingest when capturing live prey should be easily passed on with the correct temperatures and humidity. Taking large amount of substrate on purpose (licking the sand, etc) would only be very likely if the animal feels they are lacking in minerals and will take their need of the minerals from the substrate. Remember that the soil of the deserts have a great abundance of nutrients. In order to avoid this, properly supplement the food and try to vary the diet in order to cover all aspects of nutrition the animal needs."
>>
>>2020018
>0:08
>Screaming intensifies slightly.

I wonder why subs were auto on.
>>
>>2020312
Not really? You've got arboreal geckos. Also, dirt isn't sand, but nice try buddy.
>>
File: 20151220_150344.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151220_150344.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Okay guys I need some help. I just noticed the other day that my toad's skin was dry, dull and seemingly unhealthy on the right side. Like, when I pick him up, he puffs out, like toads do, but his right side does so much less noticeably, seemingly from the skin being too tight. He looks lopsided when he does it.

I figured it was just a troublesome shed, so I misted his enclosure and sprayed his body a little bit with some water (all dechlorinated, filtered water). I kind of left him, figuring he needed some time to shed it off. I went to feed him today and noticed that it was still like that, and some of the skin looked moist and raw, almost infected.

He's eating perfectly fine and is as active as a healthy toad usually is, but this skin issue is really bothering me. Does anybody have any idea what this could be?

As far as info goes, I don't know how old he is, he's wild caught but I've had him since early spring and he's seemed very healthy and has gotten fat. I kept him because, as you can see in pic related, he's missing his right foot. It was just a nub when I found him. Help appreciated, I love my Nubbins
>>
>>2020521
You could be dealing with the toad version of scale rot. Try betadine soaks, see if that improves it.
>>
>>2019821
There isn't a problem with outside cats.

The problem is shit owners who don't know how to keep animals in differing conditions from PeTA fags say are the only thing that is right.
>>
>>2019795
Just get a small shop vac, and suck up all the waste and debris.

Of course, remove your herps first.

Replace any sand losses and you're good.
>>
>>2020680
Unless you mean outside cats as in cats on a harness or in an enclosed porch. Yes, outside cats are a problem. You cannot stop poisonings, being run over, pregnancies, etc. no matter how hard you try. The most you can do is fix your cat to stop litters from being born, but there's nothing you can do to keep your cat from dying or killing other animals aside from keeping your cat inside or supervising them while outside.
>>
Just got a water monitor. I'm pretty happy, he is super interactive already with really nice coloring and a good attitude.
I was expecting him to eat a ton, but man I don't even know how he functions with as much as he eats. Seems like it wouldn't even fit in his body.
>>
>>2020721
Noice! Just a baby still? Their growth rate is nuts, that's why the appetite.

Pics!
>>
Monitors are such curious little guys when they're kids. If I try to touch the faces of my geckos like this, they will usually skedaddle right away unless they just woke up and are still half asleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlHjYi6YnnY
>>
>>2019628
>>2019429
Mourning gecko will not do. It needs to be native to the same region of north South America as Dendrobates leucomelas
>>
>>2020684
Nah, I have a rack set-up already and love it.
>>
>>2020521
>>2020552
Alright I went out today and got some betadine, and from what I heard online it should be a 200-1 ratio of water to betadine. I put in 1 cup of water and then added 1/4 cup of betadine. Is that okay? I cannot into math

Also, what do I do with him after the baths? I avoid his head and pour some over him with a spoon, especially on the concern area. I had him in there for a minute and he didn't seem to like it very much. I took him out and sprayed him off with clean water, and put him back into his enclosure.

I hope I'm doing this alright
>>
>>2020912
That's 4-1 ratio. That's 50 times stronger than it should be
>>
>>2020789
In that case, I'm not aware of any small anolis species that are in the trade. I think either gonatodes or sphaerodactylus families of dwarf geckos are endemic to Central America/northern South America.
>>
>>2020916
Shit. Should it just be a tablespoon per cup then? Or less?
>>
>>2020932
How big is your cup? How big is your table spoon? Find these numbers and divide them. Do this process until your result is around 1/200. Sorry can't really help..
>>
>>2020932
Does your measuring cup have metric notation as well? If so, you want 100ml water to 0.5 ml betadine. Or 200ml to 1ml.

1 US cup is 236ml. 1ml is 0.2 teaspoons (holy shit imperial is stupid...). So we're talking about two or three drops per cup here. Tiny amount.
>>
>>2020960
Yeah it does have metric. TY for the help, I'll make sure to use the correct dosage from here on out
>>
>>2019323
Any advice how to trigger mating in corn snakes? This year they mated in fabruary, next year I'd like them to mate in early-mid january.
I have 2 females and a male together in a tank.
>>
>>2021070
why are you breeding?

the usual way this is done is to cool their tank temperature slightly for a period of weeks leading up to breeding season. Please consult a corn snake breeding guide for specifics.

Also why the fug are you breeding them?
>>
>>2021075
I need them for research (yes, legit research).
>>
>>2021070
>>2021075

because unless you're trying to niche breed a specific rare morph there is no reason whatsoever for a small keeper to produce hatchlings. there are more than enough corn snakes.
>>
>>2021078
Yes, I know. I hatched the first batch (they're regular wild types, one female is candy cane). It was a pain in the ass to sell those 8-9 hatchlings.
>>
>>2021076
what are you researching?
>>
>>2021106
Sorry can't tell for now. I'm VERY paranoid somebody steals the idea.
>>
>>2021111
shit man you must be a grad student
or you're an undergrad at UC Berkeley
>>
>>2021135
I'm working on my masters degree now. Maybe this will be my thesis, fuck knows.
Doing at least a semester at Berkeley would certainly nice too, but I'm from Europe.
>>
>>2021139
What do you plan on doing with the babies? Outside of your research.
>>
File: 1450394844827.png (1 MB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450394844827.png
1 MB, 1080x1080
>>2021151
That's the shitty part of this kind of research. No survivors.
>>
File: 20151209_120348.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151209_120348.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Here's a weird swollen baby red eye tree frog at my school
>>
File: 1419208070182.jpg (85 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1419208070182.jpg
85 KB, 300x300
Verdinand, my green pacman, just took a shit as long as he is wide.

Fucking where do they put it?
>>
>>2021157
An other useless research project by a retarded student, that kills a bunch of animals?
>>
managed to get some stuck shed off my leopard geckos head with daily soaks and cotton ball.

I think he's upset with me now.
>>
>currently have a Florida box turtle (T.c.bauri)
>want corn snake (P. guttata)
>want ornate wood turtle (R.p.manni)
>not enough room for tanks
>tfw you want all the reptiles
>>
File: pacman-frog-dirk-ercken.jpg (88 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
pacman-frog-dirk-ercken.jpg
88 KB, 900x600
>>2021182
pacman frog anatomy involves a quantum singularity. there is an entire separate dimension inside.
>>
File: fdb_7329.jpg (300 KB, 2667x1785) Image search: [Google]
fdb_7329.jpg
300 KB, 2667x1785
>>
>>2021271
yer toad's got a tick mate
>>
Going to have to move out because my landlord can't speak English and apparently, "I'm a biology major who researches animals and I'm moving in with two geckos and a ball python," wasn't clear enough.

All's well. It's too expensive to live here and my room mates are arsewipes.
>>
>>2021288
suck man, I had to turn down a gargoyle gecko that was offered to me by my professor because the landlady was a bitch
>>
>>2021292
it sucks, but this gives me the push to find the studio I always wanted. Luckily I live in a college town, so it's a renter's market here.

And my landland literally can't speak English: she's Korean. This house is falling apart, like heating going out in the middle of Winter.

Like hell I'm giving up my geckos and python.
>>
>>2021285
Ha! Yeah I noticed that after posting the pic. Not my toady though. Just Google image toady.
>>
>>2020929
Thank you. I will look for these two genera. The second one looks very cute
>>
>>2021183
Stay butthurt, little NEET
>>
File: mad.jpg (3 KB, 83x125) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
3 KB, 83x125
>>2021327
>>
hey guys I just got a crested gecko, it's doing well, eating, etc (although very shy).

I'm just worried about the temp here. In the enclosure, over the last few days, it's been fluctuation from about 65-71 degrees F. Is their anything I can put in the enclosure that will moderate the heat to a safe level, preferably around 71-72?

Thanks
>>
>>2021718

Yes, there are two ways; you can stick a heat mat to the side or bottom of the tank, or put a 40w or 60w ceramic heat emitter on the screen top. With the heat mat use a dimmer (rheostat) to decrease its heat output by about 50%. With the ceramic emitter you will need a thermostat. Put thermostat probe directly under the ceramic emitter, i mean right below the screen it's sitting on, and set it to 76 F. If you use a ceramic it is critical to increase the amount of substrate and keep a very close eye on humidity as the heater will dry your tank considerably.

I use CHEs with thermostats on my geckos tanks as my room temperature is 65 in winter. The heat mat option is more user friendly but gives less control of the ambient air temp in the tank.
>>
>>2021718
>>2021839

Another option, since your temps are not that far below optimal (72-76), is to put a normal low wattage incandescent light on the screen top with a timer. Set the light to turn on for 12 hours during the day and off for 12 at night. This should work fine in your case because cresties are quite alright with temps in the high 60's at night time during winter months. Start low wattage, like 20w bulb, at first. See how much that warms the tank. Go up to 30w if 20w isn't enough. Just be careful. Crestie max temperature is 80 tops.
>>
>>2020039
Well now I now we're Lucas got his inspiration for Jabba from...
>>
>>2019428
I work in a pet store. Most employees get ZERO training about proper care of the animals they house. I only know anything because I gave enough of a fuck to read about it and actually got policy changed in my store.

It can be worth a try to attempt informing them.
>>
>>2021839
be careful with heat mats. I've heard of reptiles getting burns from them
>>
>>2021951
Heat mats needs to be used with rheostats or thermostats. Without them, they go up to the 100s, easy.
>>
>>2021963
What if i set up my heat mat with temp gun? Then I won't need thermostat if temperature in my room is constant.
>>
>>2022172
thats still a gameble
are you going to check the heat mat every hour?
what if you go somewhere? what about when you're asleep?
a temp gun is a helpful tool, not a safety device
>>
>>2022245
Are they really that unreliable?
>>
>>2022370
no, but it can and does happen
and all it takes it for it to happen once for a dead animal and you hating yourself for not just spending 30 dollars on a thermostat
>>
File: ve100.jpg (135 KB, 640x495) Image search: [Google]
ve100.jpg
135 KB, 640x495
>>2022172
Just get a thermostat.

Even better, get a digital thermostat.

Even even better, get a digital thermostat and use heat tape instead of UTHs.
>>
File: babu.jpg (18 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
babu.jpg
18 KB, 640x360
Rate my gecko.
>>
>>2022370
Before I got my leoaprd gecko I wanted to see how hot my 16 watt heat mat would get without the thermostat. 115F. Thats deadly.
>>
>>2021718
Under tank heat mat if you're using a loose substrate.
I have mine on the same timer as the lights and his house is around 74 during the day and 70 at night
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2019323
Posting a cool pied ball from my local mum & pop shop
>>
>>2022840
Pied bp's are neato.
>>
File: pandapiedbp004.jpg (86 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
pandapiedbp004.jpg
86 KB, 800x600
>>2022851
Here is one of the newer incarnations of the pied trait. Usually called Panda Pied. Typically mostly white body with are couple dark patches. This one has a dark head, one patch on mid back, and dark tail.

Really cool morph. Hard to breed though and mega expensive to buy.
>>
File: image.jpg (215 KB, 798x751) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215 KB, 798x751
>>2022851
Here's muh kingsnake having Christmas Eve dinner
>>
>>2022590
Very cool. How old?
>>
>>2022891
Update: my tube dude are 2 pinkies and the proceeded to have a clean shed. Very cool.
>>
File: Thirsty Geck.jpg (443 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
Thirsty Geck.jpg
443 KB, 1280x1707
>>2022967
I had a tube but he chose to run away. I hope he's happy somewhere in my house :'(

Clean sheds on snakes are so awesome.

This guy had a patchy shed, but ends up that necrotic nail he came with is regrown!
>>
>>2022980
Nice geck m8, merry Christmas reptile
>>
>>2022891
king snake feeding response is so fun. you deal with ball pythons for a while with their reluctant eating ways, it's really nice to deal with a snake that is all GIMME GIMME GIMME every single time you feed it.
>>
Should I put a thermometer temperature probe right on a UTH or near the bottom of the tank close to the substrate?
>>
>>2019422
>>2019421
I think the male has the prettier pattern, but I bet the female is gorgeous in the light.
>>
>>2023212
Put probe inside the warm side hide. What species are we talking about here?
>>
>>2023305
Just a ball python
>>
Does anyone have any tips on how to get some calcium supplements in my leopard gecko while he's brumating?

It goes without saying he doesn't want to eat often, maybe once every 3 weeks for the time being. I was thinking I would give him a couple of butter worms because of their high calcium content.
>>
File: IMG_2572.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2572.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2023252
I agree. I got one for pattern and one for color.

The male is also much brighter than his sister, so I'm sure he'll be pretty in his own right.

Pic related is his sister, the one that died.
>>
File: babu2.jpg (15 KB, 270x480) Image search: [Google]
babu2.jpg
15 KB, 270x480
>>2022945
No idea. I've had him since black friday.
I'm gonna say 3 month old.
>>
>>2023356
I want to add that I already have a calcium dish in his tank at all times. Thing is, he's brumating so he's staying hidden away most of the time.
>>
>>2023378
No need to do anything extra. Gecko will be fine.
>>
File: GTA snek.jpg (237 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GTA snek.jpg
237 KB, 1920x1080
Just noticed this in GTA V
>>
>>2023387
gaboon viper body with a ball python head?
>>
>>2023393
Has science gone too far?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2411x3214) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2411x3214
First time Leo anon dropping in to update after a few weeks. He's grown some already and seems a little fatter in the tail than when I first got him.

Also out of curiousity, how does /an/ feel about super worms, jumbo worms, and dubia roaches for leopard geckos? I'm feeding my little guy 10 mealworms a day right now but honestly I'm new to Leo diets so I'm a bit unsure of where to go from here.
>>
>>2023662
Dubia roaches and small crickets are great, my leo thrived on both. The roaches were her favorite and so easy to upkeep. I bought one of those little hermit crab plastic aquariums and some roaches and had a constant colony for 2 years, without the smell of crickets.

She lived until 23 years old, so I think the diet was good enough.
>>
>>2023662
I feed exclusively on superworms. I have 4 leos on this diet and they have all plumped up wonderfully.

Crickets are terrible. They always escape, smell, and are noisy.
>>
>>2023662
Dubia roaches are great. You can use those as your primary feeder insect.

Superworms are fine but don't use those until your gecko is larger.

Jumbo worms aka giant mealworms are a waste of money. They will turn in to beetles but the beetles are sterile so not possible to breed your own.

Also consider butterworms, small silk worms and phoenix worms. Some leos won't eat phoenix worms though. I suspect the aversion to phoenix worms has something to do with the media they are packed in, it has a mild ammonia smell.
>>
>>2023662
Variety is always nice, but if you have to go with one feeder for life, I'd go with dubia roaches.

I have my own colony.

For treats, I do waxworms for my girl (who loves them) and superworms for my guy.
>>
File: image.jpg (403 KB, 1525x2034) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
403 KB, 1525x2034
>>2023671
>>2023669
>>2023666
>>2023664
Thanks a lot for the helpful advice! I think dubia roaches and super worms would be a great choice to add some variety.

When exactly can I start feeding those to my gecko? He's still a juvenile and while I'm unsure on age, he's about 4.5 inches long so a fairly small guy
>>
>>2023673
Dubia roaches you can start right away. Offer only young roaches that are no wider than the space between gecko's eyes.

Wait about six months before offering superworms. Partly because supers are big and partly because they are strong (for a beetle larva) and can put up a bit of a fight against a juvi gecko.
>>
I want to get a bearded dragon some time after new year
Just wondering how much I'd be looking to spend for everything I need.
>>
>>2023778
$100-$300

Keep in mind that adopting from Craigslist is always the cheapest option. Usually people throw in their whole habitats + decoration.
>>
I'm looking into getting a beginner level snake (corn, garter, or hognose). What are the recommended places (trusted websites) to acquire the animal itself?
>>
>>2023898
Get a king. I've loved mine. Good eaters, and slightly less common than a corn, but still common and not a pain in the ass like ball pythons.
>>
File: tfw no gf.png (940 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
tfw no gf.png
940 KB, 800x1067
So Wedge is marking (extra stinky urates) because he smells the sexy lady upstairs.

She don't want you, dude. No lizard nookie for you.
>>
>>2023898
I'm not familiar with US snake breeders except for one; Steve Sykes of Geckos Etc. breeds western hognoses and rosy boas. Great breeder, healthy animals always and good correspondence speed with emails.

For others, just general tips:
>look for a breeder that specializes in only a handful of species
>avoid reptile vendors that sell apparently everything under the sun as these places are little better than chain pet stores and probably source much of their livestock from the same places
>check if breeder has a Facebook page. If so, visit it and see how active it is. A facebook page with frequent updates is a good sign. Also check in the public comments and see how the breeder is about helping people with their problems
>read the fine print on health guarantees; some offer 1-2 weeks, some as much as a month
>also in the fine print note how strict the breeder is about acceptable weather for shipping days. stricter the better. a breeder who will ship when it's especially hot or cold outside is not a person you want to deal with.
>>
>>2023957
I'm the anon with Wedge, the leopard gecko, and I got him from Steve Sykes. Absolutely recommend the man. Wedge was incredibly healthy, alert, and came with no health problems.

I'd feel extremely confident getting a snake from him. I almost wish he bred ball pythons or corns/kings/milksnakes.
>>
>>2023957
>>2023967

Thanks! This is really helpful. Especially the bit about finding breeders, thank you.

Anyone know resources for garter/corn snakes? I'm still undecided about which to get and want to see my options.
>>
Just got a shitload of money for Christmas and I'm looking for a good pet for a dorm. Don't want a mammal because they smell like shit. Are there any reptiles or amphibians that are friendly enough to handle and don't smell like ass? I have a large fish tank and 4 roommates so start-up costs probably won't be a huge problem
>>
>>2024048
A crested or leopard gecko or a kingsnake.
Where do you live and what are the conditions like year round inside?
>>
>>2024053
Western NY. Mad humid but I have indoor heating. What should I know about keeping a snake/gecko that Google won't tell me?
>>
>>2024059
Geckos are easier to feed but need to eat more frequently. And kings snakes get pretty big as adults.
>>
i think my bp is trying to use my hand to shed, p cute.
>>
>>2024059
I'd say get a crested gecko.
They like it humid, but room tempurature.
They eat a premade diet that just needs water and dont require special lighting.
Crested geckos are really energetic but most of them tame well enough to be held. The ones that dont just get handled by treating you like a moving tree. They dont need to eat insects but they need a more expensive enclosure than a leopard gecko or a kingsnake.
>>
>>2024073
wouldn't I need a heat lamp for special lighting? I'm reading up and I think they'd be best. Anything more you can tell me about how they respond to handling?
>>
>>2024086
Crested geckos like it from 65-80 degrees. Anything above 82 can give them heat stroke. You will never need a heat lamp for them if where you live has heating. Mine seems to like it around 75 best,
They dont need special lighting of any kind. Get a fluorescent light or something that doesn't put off much heat. Maybe an LED. I use a 50 watt blue bulb and a 25 watt moonlight bulb that alternate on a timer for day and night but I have a heat shield I made for them to vent it so the viv doesn't heat up too much. Some things link small UVB exposure to more natural behavior but it's sketchy at best.
Handling them isn't just like grabbing and petting.
You get it to climb on your hand and just walk it across our hands. Once it's larger it can be held if it's tame enough. Don't try to handle it for a few weeks after getting it. Be careful with their tails. They will drop them, but it will never grow back. Gargoyles have tails that regrow, but they get larger and are usually a lot less tame. They tend to bite more too.
>>
>>2024090
where can I find a shopping list for this type of thing? I take it going to petsmart with a blank check would be a cardinal sin on /an/.
>>
>>2024095
I personally use a 50 gallon fishtank I made modifications to because I got it for 5 dollars since it didnt hold water. I also found majority of my decorations outdoors and treated them for use inside. (drftwood and some rocks)

I cant vouch for this personally, but it seems pretty good.
http://www.joshsfrogs.com/exo-terra-crested-gecko-habitat-kit-18x18x24.html
Buy some pangea crested gecko diet and a spray bottle and you should be good to go. Maybe a magentic feeder bowl too. They like to eat away from the ground.
>>
>>2024103
like I said before, I already have a tank and I'd much rather invest time into building a tank than dropping that much on a pre-fab one. how do you treat for inside use? would it be okay to just go to petsmart for all this?
>>
>>2024111
I agree entirely about not liking prefabs.

How big is the tank? Do you have a picture? And a picture of the lid?
I just cleaned mine with vinegar and then hosed it out and dried it. I keep it clean now with some special reptile safe wipes I bought.

I'd say get:
>Artificial vines with suction cups
>A megnetic feeding ledge
>Eco earth substrate
>driftwood of varying sizes
>A few hides of varying size and shape
>A lot of fake plants
>Something to put water in
>A fluorescent or LED light or a 25 watt blue bulb
>A timer for the lights
>Pangea or rapeshy gecko diet (you'll probably need to go online for this. Theres other foods but they like these best)
>A spray bottle
>a cricket keeper (if you want to feed him crickets sometimes. Some of them like them once a week. They're not needed)
>>
>>2024040
To buy garters, Scott Felzer.

Here's a few care sheets/info for garters.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/6654-safe-fish-list.html

http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet

Garters are going to have a more complex diet than corns, which you can just offer mice to. Generally, if a snake isn't a natural rodent-eater, it's best to feed them a natural diet, and garters do not eat rodents at all in the wild. Some of the absolute largest females (3'+) may, but it does not take up a large part of their diet.
>>
>>2024120

Really useful info, thanks. I was getting the impression from other websites that you could switch garters to mice entirely. Good to know that's not the best way to do it.
>>
>>2024090
re; UVB

I have done some entirely unscientific experimentation with that with my cresties and garg. They had a UVB light for a while which I then replaced with just normal LED light. In my experience, the light giving off UVB did not make any difference to gecko behaviour vs. the LED day lights. There is a difference, however, between having a light on the tank vs. not having one -if- the room you keep them in does not get much natural light. However, however, keeping them in a room that has ample natural daylight results in much the same activity level as having a tank light on during daytime hours. Rough theory being that they do benefit from a clear lighting difference between day time and night time.

What I'd like to see is a comprehensive study that compares no tank light in naturally well lit room vs. UVB tank light in the same room vs. standard tank light in the same room. See if UVB really does make a measurable difference.

re; gargs biting. Nah. As long as you practice good gecko hand movement -no fast jerky movements- they are never aggressive. The worst you will get is a warning bark; jaw snap well away from your hand with slight forward head movement, the universal lizard body language for fuck off. Gargs are nowhere near as cage territorial as leachianus geckos can be. The only thing to be aware of with their nippyness is other garg tank-mates. Young gargoyles play rough with each other so best not to keep them together unless breeding.
>>
>>2024134
I always wanted to do a test on that but I'm a cheap fucker.
Mine does seem to be a lot more active with a 50 watt blue light over a bright florescent though. The only problem is heat.
>>
>>2024129
You can, and they seem to do ok with it, but mice are not a natural prey for them, let alone a staple.

I've been keeping my two on mice so far, but I may start giving them a variety of worms and fish again, with the occasional mouse/rat pink since that's closer to their natural diet. I don't really feel comfortable offering amphibians, due to the parasite load.
>>
File: Albino-Clawed-frog.jpg (24 KB, 370x277) Image search: [Google]
Albino-Clawed-frog.jpg
24 KB, 370x277
I think I'm going to go get one of the fat faggots tomorrow. I have a weakness for fat, hungry frogs, I already have a pacman and a toad

Tell me about them, especially about how to give them proper filtration
>>
>>2024237
That clawed looks morbidly obese, tbqh. I've had tons of claweds and they were never this fat.
>>
>>2024294
Unfortunately that's how the majority of pets, herps or otherwise, are kept. People seem prone to over-feeding and feeding their pets inappropriate foods.
>>
>>2023673 #
leopard gecko cute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSyEP-KsSysyscUke5wk8hg
>>
Hello
Quick question
How much should my 9 month old Corn snake weigh? It measures at about a meter and is a female.
What size do they eventually reach and could someone who has an adult one post a picture of an adult with something nearby for scale
>>
>>2024237
They can do planted tanks. I grow mint in my frog's setup. They can carry a horrible disease that will eat your pac-mans skin away unless you keep them in blackwater ph for a few months.

They eat a lot, and need water changes even with plants. But if you feed insects it's less of an issue than with pellets.

On a personality note, the frog's pretty cool, he likes listening to music. You'll see how sensetve to sounds and currents they are if you don't overfilter. They really should have stillness, because my frog didn't chirp before I gave him calmer water.
>>
>>2024721
What is this disease and how do I get this blackwater ph?
>>
File: Damn It Nature.webm (3 MB, 192x144) Image search: [Google]
Damn It Nature.webm
3 MB, 192x144
>>2019426
Could be worse. There was a place near here a decade ago that have a, "group reptile" tank.

It did not turn out well.
>>
File: 11.png (22 KB, 686x525) Image search: [Google]
11.png
22 KB, 686x525
>>2024782
>>
>>2024746
It's called chytrid (kit-rid)

Blackwater ph is lower than tap water, you can put sticks from a cleanish tree, or leaves into the tank to get that effect, or a decaff tea bag that you used prior, or straw, or acorns. It's why trees use leaves on their roots, to repel deadly fungi. You know it's blackwater when it looks like tea. But it helps get low-light plants established too. And it fucks up algae, and with a white frog, it'd be easier on it's eyes that lack the pigment to protect it.
>>
>>2024796
https://adoptapond.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/frogs-and-chytrid-fungus/

It's really sad, because these frogs get big so fast you could grow them in space, for sure, but chytrid would be scary.
>>
>>2019323
Cool
>>
>>2024796
It prevents the fungus from proliferating, but I don't think it cures it for certain.
>>
>>2024796
>>2024798
>>2024877
Is there anywhere I can go to learn more about preventing it in frog aquariums? I don't want my paccy to get sick and die
>>
>>2024715
Do...do corns normally get 3'/1 meter at less than a year old? That seems really huge, I thought they were closer to 2'-2.5' at ~12 months? Are you sure your corn is only 9 months?

Corns have the potential to reach 6', but even at those sizes they're less imposing than a ball python of half the length.
>>
File: 1418971675558.jpg (165 KB, 1010x1036) Image search: [Google]
1418971675558.jpg
165 KB, 1010x1036
>Pacman has a wonky/ broken arm and can't get around easy
>Doesn't seem interested in crickets, rarely eats them
>Ate a small toad I caught
>Ate several tree frogs
>Even ate a salamander

Why does my pacman only eat amphibians?
>>
>>2024970
>doesn't do shit for his frog's broken arm
>feeds it with poisonous animals
10/10 owner. End yourself.
>>
>>2024980

What the fuck could I possibly do about a broken frog arm? I also have no clue if it's even broken. There's no exotic vet even remotely near me.

Toads are poisonous but he's eaten three in the past month just fine.
>>
File: 1450061337700.jpg (21 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1450061337700.jpg
21 KB, 640x400
>>2025001
>not doing something for it's arm
If it's a broken arm, you could have just gone to a normal vet. Normal vets will kill the shit out of exotics with wrong medications, but a broken bone is a broken bone.

Also
>feeding your animal something you KNOW is poisonous
How retarded can someone get?
>>
>>2025007

He won't eat anything else. I've seen him eat a single cricket in the three months I had this one.

Considering the diet of mostly tree frogs and a few toads is doing him just fine, and the alternative is straight starvation because of his refusal to eat regular things, I will continue to feed him what he likes.
>>
Is 50% humidity and 80-90 degrees too hot for a hot side of a tank in a pacman enclosure? I have a bottom heating bad and a standard lightbulb up top on the hot side during the day.

The cold side is sealed off up top to trap humidity and rests at 75 degrees and 100% humidity.
>>
Yes that's too hot. You want between 80-85 max for side. Buy a thermostat or at least a rheostat to control the heat output of your uth.
>>
File: why.jpg (13 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
13 KB, 184x184
>>2025009
You're a shit owner. First off, you shouldn't even be feeding wild anything. Not crickets, grasshoppers, fish, nothing. The parasite load is way too insane. Only feed things that were bred in captivity for the purpose of feeding your pets. But I'm sure you don't really care about that to begin with because you even considered the option in the first place to feed your frog a fucking toad. Like seriously. Do you know what a toad is? A fucking dirty frog covered in VENOM SACS. Are you a literal retarded person? If your shitty deformed frog isn't eating crickets then try something else that isn't wild frogs you caught in your mom's garden, you fucking 12 year old.

Like there's about a thousand other things I could say about what a completely shitty job you're doing as a pet owner, but I feel like it will just go straight over your ignorant ass. Either get your shit together or just drop a brick on that poor creature and take it out of its misery.
>>
>>2025038
It's a frog not a fucking person. It doesn't have a brain don't get so defensive over something so stupid you tard.
>>
>>2025040
>asks for help
>gets an answer
>decides to keep poisoning his pet anyways
>>
>>2025042
It's a fucking frog. I was making a joke, not trying to trigger you autistic frogfags. I'll just get a new one if this one dies, its not like it has feelings or any concept of reality.
>>
>>2025072
animal abuse is no joke anon
>>
>>2025072
I dont even like or own frogs.
You're just a huge faggot.
>>
>>2025072
The world would inarguably be 10x better if every person with this mentality dropped dead this very instant.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>2025072
Please never own another pet again, edgelord.
>>
File: 1419799593288.jpg (26 KB, 406x422) Image search: [Google]
1419799593288.jpg
26 KB, 406x422
>>2025038

I wasn't really trying to feed him toads, rather I was housing my frog with some other toads I had caught outside. I knew toads are toxic and distasteful, and had assumed he would try to eat them once before learning they taste like shit and cohabiting peacefully like he does with most salamanders.

He ate the toad without hesitation. I thought this would kill him but he kept on trucking just fine. I fed him more and more and eventually figured out he pretty exclusively likes amphibians. Tree frogs, toads, some salamanders, etc.

It's hardly miserable. It's kept on proper substrate at good temperature and humidity, with access to water and plenty of space.

I've tried feeding him everything from nightcrawlers to super worms. He just ignores them and opts for his neighbors instead.

He's now alone and still refuses insects of all kinds. I think it's pretty interesting how he has an apparent immunity to the toxins in the toads. I might bring it up to my biology department at my uni.

Sorry you're so triggered. He's choosing to eat the bastards and it's not for lack of choice.
>>
File: 1419108544863.jpg (3 KB, 117x125) Image search: [Google]
1419108544863.jpg
3 KB, 117x125
>>2025082
>>2025081
>>2025075
>>2025074

You're getting baited by a different person.

>>2025072
>>2025040
This guy above isn't me, who's below.

>>2025001
>>2024970
>>
>>2025085
There's no reason to think he's immune just because he isn't dead.
You can smoke cigarettes every day or feed a dog chocolate every day and have both of you not show any horrible problems, but that doesn't mean you're immune to them because you didn't roll over and die instantly.

It's still a bad idea to feed wild caught amphibians (enjoy your chytrid and parasites) but i'd highly suggest not feeding toads at least. Pacmans are retards when it comes to not eating dangerous things, and bufotoxin is nasty stuff.
>>
>>2025089

Keyword being "apparent" there.

That's completely fair, but I don't really know what alternatives I have. He was hardly conditioned to eat amphibians, it was just a strange preference I discovered on accident. The only time he eats insects is seemingly in desperation when he's very thin.

I've exhausted all the common feeder insects sans for hawk moth larvae and Dubai roaches. The former is expensive and inconsistently stocked and the latter is still kinda steep. I've never bred anything other than crickets but I'd be willing to breed whatever he's willing to eat.

I'm not sure why he's so picky. My other pacman eats mealworms right out out my hand.
>>
File: this world.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
this world.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
>>2025085
You really shouldn't be housing separate species together like that in the first place. If you'd one some research on owning a pacman, you'd know that it is very very common practice to never house them with any other frogs, they're built to feed. If your dog finds and eats fucking chocolate every day, you don't just let him keep eating it because it doesn't immediately kill him. If your frog has a feeding issue, you need to correct it, not support it. I PROMISE you that toad poison is terrible for your pacman and will end it if you keep feeding motherfucking toads, you stupid fucking idiot.

I have both a toad and a pacman frog, yet I don't have them fucking eating each other and what not. Like anybody with any knowledge in the hobby, I house separately and do not interact with each other, as both of their main functions is to eat things in front of them, especially pacman frogs.

It's one thing if you want to be an idiot and fuck around with animals like that, whatever. Keep it to yourself, I don't know why you'd come here telling us what you've told us and expect anything other than criticism.
>>
>>2025096
If he eats dubia, i cannot recommend breeding them highly enough. They're sorta pricy to get a bunch of, but once breeding kicks in you have free food forever and they're really healthy, don't smell at all, etc etc
>>
>>2025096
Okay, then work with that. Feed it only suitable feeders, if you ave to starve it for them to eat them, then so be it. It will eventually learn that that's all its going to get, and will adjust accordingly. It's a pacman frog, if it starves to death, then there's something wrong with it.

And get its leg looked at by somebody, that may be contributing to this feeding issue
>>
>>2025099

I'm not looking for justification, I came here trying to figure out WHY he eats frogs and toads as opposed to insects. I have never heard of a discriminate pacman and am curious what drives these preferences.
>>
>>2025105
He eats them because they moved in front of him. That's what they do. If you jiggle a fucking rock in front of one it'll try to eat it.

Either it happens to to prefer larger prey items or its sick. Just don't go feeding it toads and salamanders for christ's sake
>>
>>2024382
>youtube
good!japanese gecko?
>>
>>2024237
Okay so my frog seems to be doing well enough in her new aquarium, but today I looked in there and there are fucking tiny snails with cone-shaped shells everywhere. Anybody know what the fuck happened? Were they on my frog or something?

Also bumping this >>2024923 because I don't want chytrid amok in my house
>>
You guys seen this shit?
I think its pretty cool
http://diycagekits.com/
>>
>>2025300
>http://diycagekits.com/

Fuck that noise, you can still see the fucking labels of the fucking tub manufacturer.
None of that is something that you or your dad couldn't do.
>>
>>2025302
you're overestimating /an/'s ability.
>>
>>2025302
what does the tub label have to do with anything?
They aren't selling you a tub
>>
>>2025310

They're selling a window frame, anon.
Can you not build a window frame?
If I gave you twenty bucks and the internet for research, could you not build a single, sliding window pane?

(And buy the tub with the change?)
>>
>>2025302

He's not selling the plastic bins. His product is the frame, which you attach to your own bin and install glass panels in to the tracks it has. It's a pretty good idea and something I definitely would use.

Teensy bit too expensive though.
>>
>>2024954
I'm not sure, its my first snake, i feed it every 6 days and its been with me for 7 months and it was 2 months old when i got it.
How large should its terrarium be when it eventually reaches full size?
>>
>>2025344
Just get a 10 galloon so it doesn't grow too big
>>
>>2025345
Dont listen to this retard.
>>
>>2025345
the hell are you even talking about, a snake won't stop growing because i put it in something small
Right now i have the snake in a 90cm by 35cm tank
Can post pics if you want to see the snek
>>
How do I keep humidity high in a standard 20 gallon tank? I cut a plastic garbage bag over 3/4's of the tank top and hot glued it in place but it looks ghetto as fuck. I have to spray several times a day but it drops to 50% where oxygen is getting in.

I'm aiming for a uniform 80% at least.
>>
>>2025357
For my scorpion I always did Seran Wrap over the lid and dispersed holes
>>
>>2025357
Spagnum moss substrate should help.
Get a sheet of hard plastic to make a lid from
>>
i got a ball python named momo for xmas and he's living happily with my cornsnake in the same tank. people who told me i couldn't do this are stupid internet experts and don't know anything
>>
File: Bait.png (114 KB, 955x957) Image search: [Google]
Bait.png
114 KB, 955x957
>>2025393
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.