[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
moving up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11
File: rose hair.jpg (162 KB, 720x478) Image search: [Google]
rose hair.jpg
162 KB, 720x478
I am wondering how many of you started to move up from beginner species. I have owned four rose hairs and want to move up to some more interesting tarantulas but I am nervous about not being qualified to take care of them. When I got my first rose hair my asshole friend tried to get me to get a greenbottle blue, but after six seconds of google I realized, though I would give half an organ to have one, they are not for people who are inexperienced. I was looking for some advice from people who advanced from relatively common, normal pets to the harder to own, how did you do it? Did you step up gradually or just dive in? From cornsnakes to cobras, or did you get some in between breeds first?
>>
>>2007747
If you can successfully keep simple species happy, you are well qualified to try something trickier. You already know what is involved with keeping appropriate temps and humidity. If the care sheets for more difficult species look doable for you then go for it. Often the difference between beginner and advanced is just smaller margin for error.
>>
For most trantulas going from a beginner's species to an expert is easy. Like the other anon said you already got the basics down temp, humidity, and substrate. That being said you should still account for agrsssion and consider that other T.s might not be as slow or docile as a rose hair. Best advice I can give you is decide on the species you want and then read up as much as you can on it. Find out what other people do and don't do and learn from them. Don't just impulse buy (though I've been guilty of that in the past). Also consider getting spiderlings. Rasing a spider from baby to adult can be very rewarding.
>>
File: image.jpg (691 KB, 2448x1730) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
691 KB, 2448x1730
>>2007747
I've had my B. vagans since May. First tarantula ever, got him at 2". He's now 4", a definite male (sexed him with /an/'s help), and doing just fine. Everywhere I have read says they aren't a good beginner species but honestly I haven't had a single problem. Except whenever I test his feeding response he gets pissed off.

Pic related, my pissed off Harry.
>>
>>2007780
I am pretty confident on my abilities to create a good habitat, but I have read a ton of horror stories of things going wrong where the tarantula died even though the tarantula had perfect conditions according to sources. I don't want to be that person.

>>2007798
I was thinking about going to a ornamental for the visual sake. That or a cobalt blue, even though they seem like a bitch and two quarters.
>>
>>2007828
See, my first tarantula was a rose hair I got after reading up on them and the pet store just plopped her into my arms. She was the sweetest thing I ever met, might have been part dog. Ne'er even an attempt at a flick of hair was seen. She loved to chill on my face whilst I went about my business.
>>
File: the purple one.jpg (629 KB, 1295x1707) Image search: [Google]
the purple one.jpg
629 KB, 1295x1707
>GBB's are not for people who are inexperienced
Actually their care requirements are basically the exact same as other desert species, you just have to make places they can make tube webs. They're skittish and will bolt if you fuck with them but very rarely threat pose, and usually stay still (or hide) when I open the cage.

The people saying

>what is involved with keeping appropriate temps and humidity.
>the basics down temp, humidity,

OP shouldn't be fucking with humidity or temperature, I don't know what you fucks are talking about. Desert species should be kept dry which means a water dish with no water added to the substrate. Temperature also shouldn't be fucked with unless it's in a 40 F room. People that put hygrometers and thermostats in with their tarantulas are likely reptile/amphibian owners. Tarantulas can do excellent at a huge range of temperatures and only some species are affected by relative humidity.

>I was thinking about going to a ornamental for the visual sake. That or a cobalt blue, even though they seem like a bitch and two quarters.

>Thinking a GBB is expert level but very fast, defensive old world species are a logical next step

No, bad idea. I assume you mean H. lividium and a poecilotheria species. You should acquaint yourself with a more skittish/fast new world species before dealing with animals that can seriously fuck you up. If you aren't comfortable with the idea of catching one after it bolts from its enclosure then you shouldn't get it. Their speed is nothing like a rose hair's. They also need more humidity.

Try to get a skittish new world species, unless you're really confident that you can handle OW.

Also, PSA
> Ne'er even an attempt at a flick of hair was seen. She loved to chill on my face
People that think like this get haired in the eyes eventually, which causes permanent damage. It's a terrible fucking idea to put a tarantula on your face. I don't even handle mine because it's obvious they want to be left alone.
>>
File: 20151127_080956.jpg (2 MB, 1536x2560) Image search: [Google]
20151127_080956.jpg
2 MB, 1536x2560
>>2008011
Also forgot to mention I got two juvenile GBB's for my first tarantulas 10 months ago and they're both doing great.
>>
File: 8320538065_8f8cd2fa27_b.jpg (641 KB, 1024x1016) Image search: [Google]
8320538065_8f8cd2fa27_b.jpg
641 KB, 1024x1016
>>2007747

I've started with a rosie and a few year after got a orange baboon (P. murinus). Both are doing fine so far. My rosie hasn't eaten for a while, but she as done it before as well (I've had her for 5years now btw).

I'm gonna hijack the thread to ask something. I've never had a sling and I'm thinking of buying a Poecilotheria regalis (3 molts). But i'm not sure how big it would be. Would a 250ml vial (10x6cm) be enough to house it for the time being or do I need something bigger?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1448899714515.jpg (44 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448899714515.jpg
44 KB, 960x544
My first T was a gbb. I don't think it matters as long as you've done the research. The difference between upkeep is minimal.

Had him since he was a sling, when he matured his personality changed so drastically and he basically refused to eat, I was emotionally devastated watching him wither away for like 10 months until he died.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1448899828347.jpg (106 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448899828347.jpg
106 KB, 720x960
>>2008048
Definitely considering another one, maybe an ornamental idk.
>>
File: image.jpg (784 KB, 2448x1689) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
784 KB, 2448x1689
>>2007844
He was that way at first but the bigger he gets, the more skittish he gets. I've stopped trying to handle him altogether. He does his thing, I do mine. We're happiest that way.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1448899774575.jpg (31 KB, 430x676) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448899774575.jpg
31 KB, 430x676
>>2008076
Yeah its too risky to handle them imo. Immediately after this picture I tried to pass him to my roommate and he fell and then booked it and I had 2 cats trying to eat him, it was a bad move haha

I think he preferred being left alone.
>>
>>2008084
Handling them has little reward and a lot of risks. It's better if you don't handle them.
>>
>>2008084
>Handling with cats hanging around

Wow, no shit?
>>
>>2008525
>>2008528

Wow >>2008532
I surely won't forget.

Thanks. I've read they are quick growers yeh. I'm guessing the vial will do for about 6 months or so maybe? Will probably get the fucker still this week. At that size it should still accept fruit flies, no?
>>
>>2007842
Colbalts are good if you like to look at holes. They do come out but late at night when most people are sleeping. Also out of all the T.s I've have Colbalts have escaped the most. A secure enclosure is a must and always double check it.
>>
>>2008523
>>>>"it was a bad move"

Fucknut.
>>
>>2008847
Even after heavy mistings my lividums mostly just came out at night. Mostly.
>>
>there are people itt that unironically bought old world pet holes

Literally why
>>
>>2009359
Top kek

You're pretty cool sometimes bugguy
>>
So to those experienced owners, what, in your opinions, would be the most difficult to own? Online I've read brazillian blacks are good in general but the pet store told me they are crazy hard to keep, picky eaters and die if you whisper at them.
>>
>>2009542
>>2009561
We all know he meant the G. pulchra

Which, is not that hard to keep. Honestly I would say Theraphosa sp. or maybe juvenile Avicularia sp. because they just up and die. Possibly rare, expensive species because you try really hard to keep those hundreds of dollars alive.
>>
>>2009687
I meant juvie Avics up and die. Lots of people have lots of problems with them, even experienced keepers
>>
>>2009711
Aww poor mutt tarantulas. It's okay, psalmopoeus sp. are better looking anyway.
>>
>>2009711
the revision is on its way.. The genus is going to be split up as the sneek preview reveales.

Can't wait to get my hands on that paper and check on the cladistics.. poor Caroline is going to get more work as soon as some formerly "Mygale" is transferred incertae sedis.. those are all going to end up at Avicularia.

http://users.telenet.be/vogelspin/Avicularia/Caroline_Fukushima_english.pdf
>>
File: PB030493.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
PB030493.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
The little thing came yesterday. She's bigger than expected, has about 4cm of leg span.
>>
File: PB030501.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
PB030501.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2010602
I've got a bigger enclosure than the one I wanted to use. I'm also thinking of feeding it 2-3 times a week. Would it be ok to feed it tomorrow already?

The temperature is between 27-28ÂșC
>>
>bugguy doesn't provide a water dish for his tarantulas

Wow, what a surprise he's fucking incompetent
>>
Are there any other cool spiders frequently kept besides tarantulas?
>>
>>2012107
desu I see my one T drinking a lot, despite everyone saying they rarely do.

>>2012110
Diplurids, trapdoors, orbweavers, etc.
>>
>>2012107
I don't either.
They get most of their moisture from their prey anyway.

I've had both of my tarantulas since they were slings and they've done just fine without one. I just feed them often.
>>
>>2008841

Do you build your own enclosures?
What do you use typically?

I'm looking to put my terrestrials in something more attractive than I've got now. But everything I see in pet stores I feel are too unsafe.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.