[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get a beagle or a pug? I have experience with both (grandparents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: pug-beagle-playing-8970488.jpg (48 KB, 400x281) Image search: [Google]
pug-beagle-playing-8970488.jpg
48 KB, 400x281
Should I get a beagle or a pug? I have experience with both (grandparents have 3 pugs and parents have 2 beagles). Both breeds are fairly lazy and content laying around the house which is a good thing IMO. But I am torn I have drawn the following conclusions

Pug
>+lovable ugly dogs
>+do not bark much
>+no hunting instinct or desire to chase animals
>-Horrible health
>-Wheezing noise will get on wifes nerves

Beagle
>+Decent health dog, pretty durable
>+Lazy as fuck, content sleeping all day
>-hunting instinct so they will chase animals
>-not a "unique exotic" dog like a pug

The whole running off aspect is important for me because i live on a 300 acre farm and I normally let the dogs out my back door to go to the bathroom and I have had more than one run off for hours chasing deer.

>wat do /an/
>>
pugs look like mongoloid dogs and shouldn't be allowed to be bred at all
>>
Lol 2 of the worst breeds possible
>>
>>2018025
>beagles
>lazy

The only beagles I've ever met have been high tension as fuck, so I have no idea what you're on about, OP.
>>
Get a Golden Retriever like a proper American
>>
>>2018025
Why not both?
Get a puggle.
>>
>>2018083
both of these ones I know are fat as fuck and sleep 18+ hours a day

>>2018084
Most boring breed of dog imaginable
>>
File: il_570xN.314236821.jpg (52 KB, 522x369) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.314236821.jpg
52 KB, 522x369
>>2018089
That's not a Lab

Also I will fite you you commie fuk
>>
A lot of pugs are seriously fucked up, like you'll likely have to pay for surgery to help them breathe and other health stuff like that.

I don't know much about beagles, but you could just adopt an older dog, which is more likely to be lower energy.
My parent's dog used to run out the door all the time, until he hit 7 years. Now he's super lazy.
You could probably find a beagle-ish shelter dog.
>>
>>2018025
A young beagle will be pretty high energy assuming they are healthy and not neglected. Pugs are extremely unhealthy and will cost you money in expensive vet visits via closed airways, bulging eyes, and crooked spine. If you want a lazy, smelly dog get a senior beagle. Probably around 6 or 7 years. Hounds are much more aloof than pugs
>>
Get a pug hands down best dog breed ever.
>>
>>2018025
Those are two totally different breeds with different personalities and needs.
What are you looking for in a dog Op?
>>
>>2018576

pugs are awful, and age terribly...
>>
Beagles have the most annoying bark in the world.
>>
>>2018739
underrated post

>was at the dog park
>thought there was a kid being gutted by a bengal tiger
>was just a beagle being an annoying cunt
>>
File: 1381211959800.jpg (57 KB, 386x371) Image search: [Google]
1381211959800.jpg
57 KB, 386x371
>>2018690
>>
>-not a "unique exotic" dog like a pug
>-not a "unique exotic" dog

Why does this matter at all?

Would you not fuck Heidi Klum just because everyone wants to fuck a tall blonde too?
>>
>>2018089

Well, if you let any animal get ridiculously obese it's not going to have a choice but to be incredibly lazy. But you shouldn't, as a responsible pet owner, be stuffing an animal with food until it's so unhealthy it can barely move.

A healthy beagle is moderate to high energy, loves to climb and jump, and is smart in a way that'll get it into a lot of trouble if you don't channel it. It will need significantly more than just being let out once and a while, and especially since they're a nose with a dog attached just letting it loose unsupervised is begging for it to get into trouble it can't or won't come back from.

It's not equivalent to a pug at all, and if you're looking for something low energy it shouldn't be a consideration.
>>
>>2018025
Pugs, prone to:
>skin problems
>ear and eye infections
>HAVE respiratory problems
>very prone to seizures.

Beagles, prone to:
>ear infections and hematoma
>allergies and skin problems (again)
>Skin disease
>skin growths
>demodectic mange, especially in puppies.

Smarts:
Pug: ranked 57/79
Beagle: ranked 72/79 total breeds.

Another problem for pugs is you HAVE to have a harness for them, not a collar. If you even have the collar lightly pulled on, their eyes will bulge out and are prone to pop out. this is because their brains hardly fit their skulls.

Beagles are also prone to weight gain, much like dachshunds, so you have to keep it on a good diet. I'm not too worried about that though because of where you say you live.
On another note though, if it's a hunting dog and its instinct is to chase deer, the dog might encounter other animals and will die. Short life.

They both have similar life spans.

I recommend the beagle. Or if you can, find someone who breeds PROPER pugs. Ones that don't have as much of a squished in face.
If you can do that, I recommend the pug.
>>
Breeding pugs is animal cruelty.
>>
I feel really dumb to ask but what's the difference between a golden retriever and a Labrador retriever?

And labs are the ones with the multiple colors? Right? And golden retrievers can be other colors or are they all golden?

I am dumb but didn't think my questions needed their own thread
>>
>>2018025
>Should I get a beagle or a pug?
no
>>
>>2020691
Labs and Goldies both are water dogs that retrieve game, such as ducks, geese, anything that falls in the water really. Their also bred to retrieve drowning people and kids.
Labs come in a variety of colours; brown, silver/blue (I think that's what it's called), yellow, black, etc.
Goldies come in different shades of gold, from platinum-ish to bronze-ish.
>>
File: image.jpg (373 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
373 KB, 1536x2048
My roommate is a pug owner. He's on his 3rd one because they all die from fucked up shit. The first one was a "champion" line and died at 6 years because of seizures and shit. The second one had a stroke or some shit at 5 years old and died in his sleep. The one he has right now is the absolute worst animal I have even encountered in my life. He has the worst case of separation anxiety that the vet has ever seen, he's allergic to fish, refuses to get his paws wet so when the grass is damp he'll pee and poop inside, barks 24/7, sheds like crazy, has breathing issues, refuses to be crated despite multiple dog trainers trying to work with him and oh my god the list goes on. Oh there's also dog snot all over my house because they are prone to sneezing attacks due to their shout. The pug is a hot mess and it's honestly too much work. Our friend only buys from recognized breeders and all his animals still have issues. i hate pugs. I hate pugs so god damn much. there are many days when I contemplate leaving the front door open and letting the pug out of the crate.
>>
Experienced with pugs and yep, the seizure thing is true and there are some serious issues amongst the breeding scene and a lot of heated arguments about it and the cause.
>>
>>2018025
Pugs are shitty ugly unhealthy dogs.
Seriously they're one of the ugliest breed of dogs.
And plus, if a breed of dog is known to have their fucking eyes pop out quite commonly it makes you wonder why they even exist.

Seriously, can someone who owns or likes pugs explain why the fuck you like them?
>>
File: pug.jpg (33 KB, 262x320) Image search: [Google]
pug.jpg
33 KB, 262x320
>>2020786
I just tried to search up on google some reasons why people like them
>Pugs have the grace and elegance sought after by royalty. Indeed, several notable nobles have owned Pugs
http://pugspot.com/articles/why-people-love-pugs
>>
>>2018028
>>2020688
BYB pugs.

>>2020514
5'7 isn't tall for a woman you pleb. Where do you live? Japan?

>>2020677
>I recommend the beagle. Or if you can, find someone who breeds PROPER pugs. Ones that don't have as much of a squished in face.
If you can do that, I recommend the pug.
This.
>>
>>2020790

I think a better question, is where are you? Outside of a very small section of the world that ranges from a bit to very tall for a woman.
>>
>>2020787
Well, royalty are the same. Not BYB pugs are pretty good.

>>2020790
Messed up quoting. "If you can do that, I recommend the pug" should also be greentext.

>>2020803
Australia. Where do you live?
>>
>>2020809

US, which puts us at the same average female height of 5'4.5".

To get back on track, based on what OP has said about their lifestyle, the pug would be the proper choice but if your two choices were two completely different dogs more research is a must. There are plenty of breeds out there that are low energy but less likely to be genetic timebombs than even well-bred pugs are.
>>
Beagles are often little Assholes but your far less likely to run into genetic defects with one than you will with a pug.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.