[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best time to desex dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 404369_orig_vp.jpg (30 KB, 600x222) Image search: [Google]
404369_orig_vp.jpg
30 KB, 600x222
When should a dog be neutered/spayed?
Pic related
>>
>>2016954
>Pic related
http://elvbendelkhounds.com/blog/2012/02/13/magical-numbers-the-myth-of-67000-puppies/comment-page-1/
>>
Past the point of sexual maturation, 18-24 mo.

Ideally, though, you should look into alternative procedures that will sterilize a dog without the negative health effects of a neuter/spay. For males the most popular is a vasectomy, and for females you commonly see a tubal ligation or ovary-sparing spay. These alternative procedures can be done at any age and are generally safer than a traditional neuter/spay.
>>
I think it also depends on what breed/size of the dog. I think large breeds(mastiffs, great danes, etc) suffer the most from spaying/neutering too early, but correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>2016976
Are you one of those weirdo borderline-furries who are obsessed with dog testicles and their "manhood"?
>>
>>2016989
No, since he's advocating spaying and neutering. Doing it late is much better for the dog, but doing it early is a good plan for normies because a lot of the general public is too retarded to handle an unaltered dog for a while.
>>
>>2016989
Not him, but I'm guessing its more about trying to leave the dogs hormones as natural as you can.

Personally, I don't think enough studying/time has been done to see the positive and negative effects on both procedures.

My dog is about a year and 7/8 months old now and me and my fiance have decided to get her fixed now. I wanted to wait until her second or third birthday, but we've fallen into a bit of a problem where I have a job in another city and I'm not around as much. So far I was the only one really working with her, so since I've been gone she's become increasingly roudy and aggressive.

I'm trying to work with my fiance to work with her, but in the mean time I feel like I have to get her fixed to help curb a bit of the aggression. She does get enough excersise and such, but I feel like since I stepped out, the dog feels like there's no authority figure now. I've taken some steps to help my family to try and deal with her better, but it's frustrating and worrying being gone this much.

Blek, went on a bit of a rant there sorry bout that.
>>
>>2016976
Seconding the use of vasectomies/OSS. If you have to sterilize your dog early please do it in a manner that won't lead to growth plate abnormalities, incontinence, and increased risk of very deadly bone cancer.
>>
>>2016989
If he was, I would imagine he would be completely against it and not advocating it. I fully support spaying/neutering, but there ARE health risks involved. That doesn't mean a dog is just going to drop dead immediately or anything, but hormones are a huge part in growing and there is plenty of information about the increased risks of serious, potential health problems associated with doing it too early.

>>2017014
Sterilization alternatives(vasectomy, tubes tied, etc) has the same goal as neutering/spaying. I don't think it's about 'leaving them as natural as you can' but more so 'hey, i don't want to fuck up my dog's health but i also don't want to contribute to the pet population'.

As for behavior problems, the alternatives won't curb it as much as castration/spaying might but you just admitted yourself that she has become increasingly aggressive without you around, and it's your family also contributing to her behavior. That is not a magical fix. You and your family needs to put effort into the dog, it's your responsibility. You seem to know whats wrong, but you are looking for an easy way out instead of addressing the issue. By all means, spay her, it's not up to me to decide when you do it but don't expect it to magically 'fix' her problems.
>>
Personally I believe it's better to leave animals intact until they are done growing. Finished with puberty to make an analogy.

I have a dog and two cats, all male, and none of them are neutered yet. The cats are indoor cats and the oldest is 6, the dog is about 2. I do plan on spaying them because I know that they can get testicular cancer and such with old age, but so far they have functioned fine with all their parts in place.
>>
Never. It fucks with their hormones and is a morally wrong thing to do to a friend. Neutered male dogs are retarded.

My is 11 years old and still has balls. He never got anyone pregnant.

Tons of people on here are arrogant cunts about how good they are as owners so how could you accidentally let your dog have sex? I don't get it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.