[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite dog breed, /an/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 22
What is your favorite dog breed, /an/?
>>
I like both Dobermans and Rottweilers, but [spoiler] dachshunds are my third favorite [/spoiler]
>>
staffies or blue heelers. but since I know I likely wouldn't be able to give a blue heeler the mental stimulation and physical exercise they would want, I probably would never get one unless a senior came into our shelter. my husky/staffie pup keeps me busy enough. ironically, I actually have a slight dislike of huskies, but my parents adopted him on a whim and it was either me or my idiot brother who would've taken him off their hands, he is great though

I also like poms a whole lot, the only small dog breed I really enjoy. I'll probably adopt a red/orange one someday, but not until the pup is at least 5 or 6
>>
Eskies, Poms, German Spitz, Sammies, and Keeshonds. Just fill my house with companion Spitzes and I'll never be unhappy.
>>
>>2016895

I don't have much experience with dogs, I think a boston terrier would be a good fit.
>>
Borzoi

When I'm rich and old, I'm retiring out to the country side with two of these, a border collie, and some sheep
>>
File: CAM00355.jpg (267 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
CAM00355.jpg
267 KB, 1536x2048
German shepherds, preferably any coat that isn't the basic shorter fur black and tan. Like this beautiful buy has longer than normal fluffy fur, and I also love sables, black, and white.

If I were to adopt though, personality fitting me would be first on my list before color.

I have considered giving a good breeder a couple extra grand for a sable or black pup if they felt like the dog would fit with me.

I'm still looking around for breeders, and it will be a while before I get one, but I kind of don't want to go to a show breeder. I want to make sure whatever dog I get is top of the line healthy and can be tracked back to great grandparents and such.
>>
>>2017019
*Beautiful boy
>>
File: newfoundlandsf2.jpg (32 KB, 350x331) Image search: [Google]
newfoundlandsf2.jpg
32 KB, 350x331
I wish I could own a Newfie.

My back yard is too small for a Newfie. ;__;
>>
>>2017035
beautiful and lovely dogs but a real pain in the ass. They require a daily meticulous fur and eyes care, need large spaces to run, they are obsessed with water, they won't live long.
>>
>>2016895
mini schnauz
>>
>>2017019
Not throwing shade here, just trying to understand.
You say "if they felt it would fit with you".
You're comfortable with getting a new member in your household without meeting it first? Is there something preventing you from seeing a litter and selecting a dog that YOU feel suits you?
>>
>>2017061
Many breeders don't allow people to just pick whichever puppy they want, they instead work with the potential owner, figuring out their needs/lifestyle/preferences, and then the breeder decides which puppy(or puppies) would be best for them and will offer those ones.
>>
>>2017063
Forgot to add: This process normally would include you being able to meet the pups, of course.

And if you don't want the ones the breeder offers to you, nothing is obligating you to still purchase the dog.
>>
>>2017064
Peculiar. I have only bought from breeders twice (the rest have been old dogs from shelters) and haven't had experiences like what you described.
It was an email, phone call, visit, short background check, second visit, chose dog, purchase, on about my way.
>>
>>2017067
Yeah, different breeders do it different ways. When I got my puppy I was able to just pick whichever one I wanted out of the litter. I suppose it really depends on how they feel most comfortable selling their dogs.
>>
>>2017067
Ya, like that other anon said, most good breeders want to send you home with a pup that's personality is going to fit your lifestyle. When I'm ready, I'm going to try and find about three different breeders and be willing to wait a couple years between breedings for the right pup. I'm (hopefully) going to have it for the next twenty years so I really do want to get that non-regular coat+personality match.
>>
Great Pyrenees evoke an envy in me that is just monstrous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC1xkee7eu0

Also golden retrievers.
>>
>>2017065
These dogs look so weird it creeps me out.

I kind of feel sorry for how ugly they are to be honest.
>>
>>2016895
All of them.
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 575x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 575x1024
I know they're generic but Goldens are just fluffy and goofy dogs. I love them
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Dachshund. Here's my 7 year old dressed up. He's vey kind, though he's stubborn.
>>
Poodles are my favorite breed just for their overall temperaments. I've had toys,standard, and grand standard. I also really like Akitas.

I have had so many different dogs Throughout my lifetime. I grew up with border collies, a Great Dane and a super sweet pit bull.

But having said that I pretty much like all dogs. I'm an animal person in general. The only ones that I don't care for much are cocker spaniels and that's only because I got bit by one when I was a kid. I wasn't playing with it or anything. My brother and I were walking around the block and that dog just came straight for us and bit my leg.
>>
>>2018549
[human]: what kinda clothes you want, senpai?
[dog]: just fuck my shit up
>>
File: 1446483926148.jpg (17 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1446483926148.jpg
17 KB, 413x395
>>2018571
>>
>>2017205
I've always said they look like sharks, and my g/f does not agree.
>>
>>2016895
Aussie Cattle Dog, here's mine swimming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4a2vzt9wAw
>>
File: Siberian_Husky_with_Blue_Eyes.jpg (69 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Siberian_Husky_with_Blue_Eyes.jpg
69 KB, 960x720
>>2016895

Husky.

In my opinion one of the few dogs that looks just as incredible as an adult as it does as a puppy.
>>
File: Pekoe - 14 weeks.png (704 KB, 950x633) Image search: [Google]
Pekoe - 14 weeks.png
704 KB, 950x633
>>2016895
My own dogs are my favourite breed.
>>
>>2018771
I actually think they look better as adults. Husky pups look so angry
>>
>>2016895
that one. they're basically the funnest dog if you're not a lazy shit
>>
>>2016895
Leonberger and Irish Wolfhound.
>>
>>2017159
>20 years
I'm sorry anon but think more like 13 max, and 10 being a more reasonable life expectancy
>>
Rat terriers, I had one that passed last year and it was the best dog I ever had.
>>
>>2016895
Hounds in general. I like dogs that like me.
>>
>>2017159
>20 years
This isn't the Odyssey, anon, this is real life
>>
Standard poodles, doberman pinschers, rat terriers. Mudis and pharaoh hounds for aesthetics.
>>
File: images (12).jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>2016895
Bouvier god I miss Sam. He was the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4KCwJxNvFo
>>
File: corgiwat.jpg (29 KB, 399x582) Image search: [Google]
corgiwat.jpg
29 KB, 399x582
>ctrl + f + corgi
>zero results
guys
>>
File: 1447722572440.gif (3 MB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1447722572440.gif
3 MB, 240x320
My one true breed
>>
>>2018968
>>2018949
I'm estimating on the high end of course because most dogs our family owned (couple pure bred Rotts as well as various mutts) have all lived well into their teens, with our average being 18. We take very good care of our dogs, so if the breeder has dogs that haven't even made it to 15, that's going to be very concerning to me.
>>
>>2017065
I thought I was the only one who loved bull terriers! They have so much personality, and their faces are so unique and cute.
>>
>>2019152
it's just a fact that most breeds can't live that long...especially not large breeds.
the breeder can't control how long they live...i mean, on average a dog from a healthier bloodline will live longer but not to 20 years.
>>
>>2019212
I understand that, but it's not wise to assume your dog won't, or that there isn't that chance, because then you kind of start slacking in future responsibilities. And what I mean by this is assuming the dog won't live that long, so the dog hits ten or twelve and you start making plans that don't involve the dog, or after ten years you start to get sick of having and animal.

I completely understand not every person is like this, nor do most dogs live that long, but, -to me- it seems unwise to NOT plan for a twenty year commitment.
>>
>>2019212
>>2019269
And on the breeder and age, I would like to see there healthier dogs living into their teens because that's a checkmark on the good breeder list to me.

I probably should have gone into more detail at the beginning heh.
>>
Husky master race here. Love the breed, the challenge to train and educate them is perfect for my level of knowledge on dogs.

Having one feels just right on my lifestyle.
>>
File: 20151217_160530.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151217_160530.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Cavaleir yorkie mix
>>
File: THFY.gif (529 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
THFY.gif
529 KB, 320x200
>>2016895
Husky, Akita, and Malamute.
>>
>>2018726
dump her. they do look like sharks.
>>
>>2018924

You have good taste, anon.

My favorite is the Irish Wolfhound. Admittedly, my two are the only dogs I've ever had, but I can't imagine any better. They're sweet, friendly, gentle, (mostly) mellow, and good with my kids.

>>But they have short lifespans!
I'd rather have a shorter time with a great dog than no time at all with a great dog. I'm also doing everything I can think of to keep them healthy--quality food, lots of exercise, regular vet appointments, etc.

Theoretically, Siberian Huskies, Salukis, and Australian Cattle Dogs are also at the top of my list.
>>
>>2019281
How far do you run, how often?
>>
>>2016895
Border collie or French mastiff. One day want a grey hound cross bull terrier tho.
>>
>>2020192
I'd guess that I take each of my dogs out for a 1.5 to 2 mile run almost every night--I like running with them, and only miss running with them when it's raining and wet, too cold (less than 10 degrees F), or when I'm feeling sick.

Aside from running with me, they get more exercise by running around the yard on their own. They don't do it a whole lot as they'd rather hang out with us inside, but it's something.

The thing is, wolfhounds like to exercise, but they don't need it like some other breeds do. They'll happily run and play as much as you want to exercise them, but they also do well with a more sedentary lifestyle. Still, I hope that by keeping mine active, they'll be healthier and live longer.
>>
>>
File: Beagle_portrait_Camry.jpg (451 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Beagle_portrait_Camry.jpg
451 KB, 1024x683
>Healthy
>Friendly
>Playful
>Good with kids
>Loving
>Easy to train
>Tricolour
>A hound

LITERALLY the perfect dog
>>
If I'm a bachelor forever? Probably a Belgian shepard.

With kids? Probably a labrador.

But I'm unlikely to get either of those. Most likely my next dog will be a rescued greyhound.
>>
File: DSC_16804.jpg (510 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_16804.jpg
510 KB, 3008x2000
dachshund
>>
>>2018912
this was a nice thread until this trash wandered in here from /b/
>>
>>2016895
>What is your favorite dog breed
In practice, the breed sitting behind bars at the shelter because of some worthless owner is my favorite breed. But white-knighting aside, I do have a few particular favorites including goldens -- they are just such a great, calming influence in any house when well-bred and raised.

Hate to say but I also like pit bulls: burly, funny, goofy-faced cuddle bugs (who admittedly can be scary af if improperly raised).
>>
>>2017065
looks like its ran face first into a wall
>>
Greyhounds. They're just total bros. Lazy and chill.
Easy to get as well. I like the challenge and reward of getting a shy animal to trust you.
>>
shelties are great, so fucking fluffy and small but not yappers in my experience
>>
I remember back in high school this one guy had 3 weiner dogs, and when I crashed at his house they would all dogpile me when I tried to go to sleep and follow me if I tried to move
pretty fucking adorable
>>
german sheperd, husky and shiba inu
>>
>>2016895

i really really like blue heelers (i guess heelers in general but i like blue coats)

theyre smart, hard working, and just seem like all around 'dog' dogs. if that makes sense; they arent super pretty/flashy show dogs, arent super aggressive fighting dogs, or super tiny toy accessory dogs.

>tfw cant get one bc roommate wont let me tho

;_; shit sucks /an/ i dont even know why i visit this board because its all just a reminded that i cant get a furry companion. im so lonely too, i just want a friend.
>>
>>2020592
ACDs are a real big commitments.

They have boundless energy.
>>
>>2016895
Mini Schnauz
>>
Anything mixed with a German Shepherd. I only like mutts due to their overall health. I don't particularly like German Shepherds because of their hip issues but when you mix them, their offspring always seem to be healthy mutts with great temperament, personality, and unique looks. I plan on breeding my Boxer-Chow pup with one in a couple years.
>>
File: 20140317_181522_Android.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20140317_181522_Android.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
*ahem*
>>
File: superthumb.jpg (27 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
27 KB, 300x250
>>2016895
Depends. I'm very picky and I have two categories.

Aesthetic faves: Elkhounds, Malamutes, Akitas, Kai Ken, Rotties, Australian cattle dogs
Temperament faves: Greyhounds, Keeshonden, Dachshunds
Dogs I think are objectively the coolest: ACDs, collies, Rotts, Standard poodles, Papillons, Goldies

I'm looking to either adopt a greyhound or a keeshond in the future. If you have any experience with either breed, I'd love to hear it.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.