[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/ I've got a question for you regarding wood/bamboo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_1538.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1538.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Hey /an/ I've got a question for you regarding wood/bamboo shrimps.

I've got a 90L/20 gallon tropical freshwater tank, and have had it set up for roughly 3-4 weeks (upgrade from much smaller tank). In the small tank I had guppies, flame tetra and danios. A week ago I put in some pearl gourami and the two wood shrimp in the new tank.

Just now one of the shrimps leapt to the surface, floated down and is now stiff, and have no idea why. The other shrimp is fine and both shed a few days after buying them.

I've heard of wood shrimp playing dead (he does seem to be breathing and is moving his legs periodically).But it's just the way he shot right up and then got all stiff, without anything causing him to jump up.

Anyone experienced with wood shrimp help me out?
>>
btw, the tank water is lower as I've put some in a quarantine tank for the shrimp.

I also did a test strip and all the levels are fine...
>>
Now the other shrimp has just done it? What's going wrong?
>>
File: 1448611639193.jpg (70 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1448611639193.jpg
70 KB, 722x349
>that setup

gonna need more information though. Have you been using copper based medications? Is the filter media established? Have you been feeding the actual shrimp something they can filter out of the water column in large enough quantities?
>>
>>2016034
Wait, am I retarded or is there no filter at all?
>>
>>2016034
No medications at all, filter and tank set up for at least 4 months and have been feeding them crushed up shrimp food (forget which one)
>>
>>2016035
The filter is next to the heater
>>
>>2016034
haha yeah my tank's a bit...garish...to say the least. Forgot to mention the water temp is 24*C/75*F
>>
Absolutely disgusting tank
>guppies with danios in a 20g
>filter feeders in a low flow tank
>those decorations
>>
>>2016040
That isn't even remotely enough of a filter. Bamboo shrimp filter particles out of the water to eat, and need to be fed tiny food with a LOT of water movement in the tank for them to filter out of. The problems with them could be a lot of things, but they would likely starve to death in a setup like that. (otos might too)

They CAN pick up particles of food off the bottom of the tank if they absolutely need to, but that doesn't work in a gravel filled tank where everything sinks way down in the gravel
>>
>>2016099
You are a fukn moron that's a beautiful tank.
>>
File: 1430549314958.png (560 KB, 558x696) Image search: [Google]
1430549314958.png
560 KB, 558x696
>>2016115
I agree. The clown excriment gravel really brings the whole tank to the next level thb senpai.
>>
>>2016103
You'd be surprised how powerful it is. I made sure it was suitable for my setup, there is generous water flow and I do crush their food so it's in small enough particles. I've done a bit of research meanwhile and fingers are pointing to the place I bought them from.
>>
>>2016099
Like I said, I upgraded from a very small tank, the bigger fish will come in time anon and the tank is not low flow by any means.

>>2016131
It's high quality, rainbow fed gay unicorn faeces, actually.
>>
>>2016147
Unless the pump on your filter is nuclear powered, that is definitely a very low flow tank. How many gph does that pump run at?
>>
>>2016241
not him but that's about the right size for a 400gph.

if so, that would turn the tank 20 times per hour.
>>
>>2016243
It looks like only the little part on the top is the actual pump, which would make it very small.
>>
File: 400gph.jpg (24 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
400gph.jpg
24 KB, 355x355
>>2016252
have you bought a pump recently?
>>
>>2016257
OP is saying that is their entire filtration system, which isn't adequate.
>>
bamboo shrimp freak me out. maybe its their size or something. and yet i love crayfish and smaller ghost shrimp
>>
>>2016099
Ugly? You should see what my girlfriend did to my tank when I went to work one day. I tried to be nice but slowly moved things out and around.
>>
>>2016329
My wife wouldn't dare touch my tanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (1007 KB, 3172x1401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1007 KB, 3172x1401
my very first tank. I'm moving up to a 55 gallon possibly larger around Christmas. How bad is it? I'm thinking a natural gravel or sand when I get my big tank. Then planting a bunch of plants and some driftwood.
>>
>>2016335
my kid picked out the exact same gravel mix and fake plants when he was 5.

other than that, looks fine. Your water's clear and your fish are alive.
>>
>>2016336
It was originally for my son which is why we have guppies and glo fish. But he didn't care so I want to move on to something natural with all live plants. Gonna keep and breed the guppies for food and friend is giving me some jack Dempsey cichlids and Bala shark

Currently have guppies in a 10 gal and in my main tank 2 upside down cats, two albino Cory, hill stream loach and pleco
>>
>>2016339
>jack dempseys and bala shark
>2 upside downs
>pleco
>hillstream loach
Get a 250 gallon. with tons of water movement.

Better yet, just dump all those fish
>>
>>2016356
Jack Dempsey and Bala are going in the big tank. The others are staying in the 20 long.
>>
>>2016360
You don't understand. 55 isn't big enough for JD's Balas or a Pleco.

Especially when Bala Sharks are shoaling fish. That said, who gives a shit about buying 6 fish of the same species.
>>
>>2016375
55 is the bottom end I was thinking. But can go up. I'm thinking of one jack and one Bala. Or just jack Dempsey only.
>>
>>2016375
Balas do very well alone. They do school. But they're comfortable being with other fish. That's been my experience in my 300 gallon tank.
>>
File: Screenshot_6.png (247 KB, 469x478) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.png
247 KB, 469x478
>>2015982
>>2016039
>>2016257
>>2016339
pls no
>>
>>2016803

>tfw he won't listen and will still buy a pleco
>it won't even be a bristlenose
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.