[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All of the crate training tutorials say to gradually introduce
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
All of the crate training tutorials say to gradually introduce your puppy to the crate over a period of days or weeks. And only leave him inside for a minute or two at a time

But then they also say don't let him out if he whines. But what if he never stops whining? And where is he supposed to sleep in the days or weeks you are introducing him to the crate? We put him in there at night and he gets in relatively voluntarily and we wake up every couple hours to let him piss but he will cry like a motherfucker still

Also he's not really interested in toys or treats. Even when playing or doing things not associated with the crate. He just likes to play with my hands and will eventually crawl into my lap and fall asleep. So I can't lure him into the crate with treats or toys to make it a place he likes. Because the only thing he likes is me
>>
>But what if he never stops whining?
he will eventually. if it's time to let him out then wait for a roughly 10 sec pause in whining

>And where is he supposed to sleep in the days or weeks you are introducing him to the crate?
in the crate, but if you've introduced it to him well enough beforehand it should be too horrible. and the crate should be in the room with you

>We put him in there at night and he gets in relatively voluntarily and we wake up every couple hours to let him piss but he will cry like a motherfucker still
how young is he? do you completely ignore the whining otherwise?

>completely uninterested in treats
your treats probably suck. use small pieces of hot dog or bologna
>>
>>2015820
8 weeks

I ignore him the best I can. Only let him out to eliminate. He's very stubborn.
>>
>>2015822
>8 weeks

Your dog is fucked, he was removed from his mother before he was ready and will never recover. You'll be dealing with behavioral issues and dog neurosis for the rest of his life. Give the dog up to a shelter and hope that someone extremely experienced is able to take him in and undo the damage.

In the future don't just buy the first dog from the first motherfucker you see on craigslist or whatever, do some research. There's no excuse for buying from a backyard breeder.
>>
>>2015824
You realize how stupid this sounds right
>>
>>2015824
>someone is taking the time and effort to reach out to people with experience so they can better care for their canine companion
>"better berate and insult them and give no legitimate advice so the dog is never given proper care even though that's all I claim to care about"
>>
>>2015822
well 8 weeks is still pretty much an infant as far as dogs go, so of course he's going to freak out if he's alone. if you ever get another dog and don't want to go through starting from pre-basics, get one 12+ weeks. was he a rescue?

otherwise just tough it out. at this age they cry if left alone for a god damn millisecond
>>
>>2015827
well he has a point. I fostered puppies for a long ass time, the ones taken from the mom/littermates at 8 weeks ever hardly ever as well behaved/adjusted as the ones who waited longer

just because it's the legal requirement doesn't mean it's what's best for the dog. if you're getting a rescue dog then that explains it, if just a shitty breeder then that's a terrible excuse
>>
>>2015829
He was not a rescue. He was part of a litter I found from some home breeder on Craigslist. It's not that I want to skip the basics involved with an infant puppy. And it's not that I'm incapable of handling the responsibility. I'm merely reaching out to make sure I do everything correctly that I possibly can.

And to >>2015824
I actually spend weeks agonizing over finding the perfect dog. Hours every day. A lot of you on this board are elitist cunts.
>>
>>2015831
>elitist cunt
well, it is a fair point. dogs who spend more time with the mom/littermates are going to pick more things up from them, including bite inhibition
>>
>>2015831
>home breeder on Craigslist

why? if you want an extremely young un-health tested puppy, rescues are full of them
>>
>>2015832
Ok but it doesn't help at all.

What kind of suggestion is "you're fucked the dog is broken just dump him at the pound and try again faggot"
>>
>>2015833
>un health tested
I have his vet visit and shot records on the table next to me.
>>
>>2015834
sure got a thin skin man, but regardless

I already gave you advice >>2015820

if you really expect to have a full night's sleep for the next month, then be prepared motherfucker, not happening
>>
So far nobody has addressed the contradiction in advice that I originally asked about

The idea that you introduce them to the crate minute by minute for days, but at the same time put them in the crate at night and ignor their crying until they fall asleep thirty minutes later
>>
>>2015835
Not the same thing as health testing.
>>
>>2015835
that's not what health tested means. meaning testing on the parents to make sure they aren't passing down things like hip issues and shit

there's literally no difference between your puppy and ones in shelters or rescues. if fact, puppies from those types of breeders are why they're so full in the first place
>>
>>2015837
>thin skin
If you asked someone in real life the same question and they responded that way you would call them a fucking asshole

There's no reason not to act civil just because this is le bad boys club of the intarwebz
>>
>>2015841
Except for the fact that he's not an ugly unidentifiable mutt or nigger breed who's been living in the gutter.
>>
>>2015843
>thinking only mutt puppies are in shelters

oh boy you're a moron. are you the same guy in the other thread that bitched about living in SoCal then bought a "designer" dog from a BYB?
>>
>>2015843
>Except for the fact that he's not an ugly unidentifiable mutt or nigger breed who's been living in the gutter.
>These are the only dogs in shelters!
Just goes to show you didn't actually look very hard, and just bought the first qt cheap dog on CL without regard for anything else about them. Nice
>>
>>2015849
>>2015847
Considering I personally went to multiple shelters I would say I'm not 100% uninformed

I'm not going to drive to every shelter in a 200 mile radius on the off chance one of them will have a dog that isn't shit
>>
>>2015820
>use small pieces of hot dog or bologna

Just tried both. Not even a sniff at them
>>
>>2015850
Kek, I remember that people actually posted listings from petfinder in that thread of not "shit" dogs and you mysteriously ignored them. when posters asked for your zip code to point you in the direction of BSRs, you ignored them. and considering you don't even know what health testing is, you did indeed go for the first dog that caught your attention with a cheap price tag

and considering it's a "designer" mix of two small shit dogs that was taken very young, good fucking luck on training them
>>
>>2015854
Thanks! :^}
>>
>crate training

Why is this even a thing? I'm assuming it's just done in America.
>>
>>2015853
Cheese maybe? Processed cheese singles? Bits of bread? Hushpuppies? Other types of meat you haven't tried?
>>
>>2015843

Except for there isn't. You bought a shit dog from a shit byb, there's no prestige or class in that. Actual breeders or even just people who know anything about dogs are not going to be impressed by your dog.

You didn't do your research, you got ripped off, you think you're hot shit but you're only impressing trailer trash, you contributed to overpopulation and unhealthy breeding practices, and you have a puppy with issues that will grow into a dog with issues as a result.
>>
>>2015858
I always assumed it was for people that don't have many doors in their home or a way to gate/block things off (like a studio apt). Or travel often.
>>
>>2015860
Did you have typing all of that nonsense that has absolutely no value to the issue at hand, captain hindsight
>>
>>2015828
I think the breeder would be a better place to start, honestly. The breeder has, after all, dealt with several puppies at a time and only wants what is best for the puppy. While on /an/ any 16 year old can say they have been raising dogs for 30 years
>>
>>2015841
Actually there is a difference.

Puppies in the shelter are already given their first shots, are fixed, micro-chipped, de-wormed, given young puppy flea/tick preventative, basically a couple hundred dollars of work put into them when the dogs on craigslist cost a couple hundred with none of that included.

>>2015843
No, that puppy is otherwise like every other puppy at the shelter. GG

>>2015858
Mainly, yes. There was a bill trying to outlaw some crate training in a weird way in NY lately. On one hand, I'd love for it to be illegal because so many shitty owners would just give up on owning a dog at all. But on the other hand, shelter population would skyrocket.

>>2015866
I don't think that is a sentence. You wanna retry that?
>>
>>2015858
while some people use "crate training" as an excuse to lock their dog up in a cage all day, but done properly makes things like car travel much safer and less stressful for the dog, if they ever need to be temporarily contained for whatever reason it won't trigger a freak out reaction like a lot of dogs do that don't have experience in crates, it's actually the opposite. the crate becomes a sort of calm down space that the dog feels is their safe spot, so it's good for things like thunderstorms. and can make training against seperation anxiety a lot easier

I crate trained my puppy and others I've fostered, the only time he was actually locked in for a long period of time regularly was when he was very young before he was potty trained during the night so he wouldn't get into anything and eat it while I was sleeping, but still took him out for a midnight potty break so he wouldn't be uncomfortable of course. now he's 6 months and I leave his crate open and he knows it's his bed and nap area, if I ever leave him home alone he goes in and out at will and will sleep in it a lot, and if we ever go anywhere he just sleeps in his crate in the backseat of my car like a baby the whole way, no car anxiety whatsoever

so if done right, it's an amazing tool for training and making your dog more comfortable in a variety of situations. if done by a lazy idiot owner, it can be awful.
>>
>>2016706

The point is that in a well trained dog it's not necessary.

When I'm forced to leave my dog home for a 9 hour period, he just sleeps or plays with his toys. In a long car trip he just chills in the back seat.

The crate is not necessary.
>>
>>2016710
and your dog is ridiculously unsafe loose in the back seat of the car, if there's a crash or even a slight fender bender they're at huge risk, the crate is far safer.

and you clearly didn't read what I said. I said that now if he's alone he can go in and out as he pleases, but he enjoys being in his crate for naps or when he's chewing things. and it is a great way to help with separation anxiety, which is a very common issue with dogs. plus it's important for a dog to have a "safe place", which a crate is good for. and leaving a very young puppy in a crate during the night is also safer because then you're not running the risk of them eating bad shit that you'd have to possibly pay to have it extracted when they're not supervised. and many dogs who aren't crate trained also lose their shit if they ever have to go in one for whatever reason, that's not good

honestly the people against proper crate training are such hippies about it who think getting a dog comfortable with being in a crate to reduce anxiety and give them a safe place = being a shitty owner and just locking them in a box. that's not it
>>
OK, so when would you recommend a dog start to be crate trained? I got an 8 week old 2 days ago.
>>
>>2016730
Never you lazy fuck
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.