[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want a Holland Lop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: bunbun.jpg (91 KB, 714x668) Image search: [Google]
bunbun.jpg
91 KB, 714x668
I've wanted one for the past 4 years. If someone asks me my short term life goals, this fucking rabbit breed is it.
I live in SF and landlords are complete assholes, and I want to make sure it has enough space to hop around...
I'm curious about your rabbits and I'd like some insight on rabbit care and shiet.
Yeah...
Fucking rabbits.
I love them.
>>
>>2015748
Get a pen with at least 4 square meters space and 2 bunnies. Never keep them alone.

Store bought pellets and shit is all unhealthy trash. Just have hay available at all times in your cage and then feed them some vegetables and fruit two times a day.
>>
File: Bun.jpg (81 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
Bun.jpg
81 KB, 500x374
I am also highly considering getting a Holland Lop. Are there any fruits and veggies that you shouldn't feed them? Do they like to chill on your lap or desk? How much energy do they have?
>>
>>2015767
I can definitely do that. I usually end up buying veggies I am unable to finish so it'd be perfect to split it between me and the buns
>>
>>2015767
>Never keep them alone
Why?
>>
>>2017353
Because bunnies naturally live in big families and have a strong social behaviour that a human can't substitute for. They groom each other, play, cuddle, etc.
>>
>>2015748

Be sure to get them neutered/spayed! Males can become horny, aggressive little bastards if you don't and females have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer. Trust me, I found that out the hard way.
>>
File: angel posed.jpg (177 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
angel posed.jpg
177 KB, 1280x960
Anon! Take heed!

A rabbit is much more difficult to care for than people let on. They need daily care and attention. They need lots of space for activities and plenty of love and care. And they need copious amounts of things to gnaw on.

I do not say this to dissuade you, but to make sure you know the amount of work that goes into it, especially considering they live for 10 years.

I love my rabbit, but I was not in an ideal position to take care of her, and at times she suffers for it.
She is a loving adorable little monster, but its more like owning a dog than owning a cat, if you follow me.

Good luck, Anon.
>>
I've been looking to get a rabbit for a while. Things I've heard so far that I would have to consider if I really wanted one were

>smelly urine
>large living or activity space
>not an animal that likes to be handled or dangled in the air like a cat/dog
>medical services not widely available for rabbits
>happier in pairs (supposedly)

anything else I should be warned about when taking in a rabbit? GOOD resources or guides out there that anyone knows?
>>
>>2019157
They poop A LOT. As a result, they don't keep clean spaces. They're gonna need you to take care of that. I don't see them as affectionate but that could be good or bad to you. They are a lot of work. If you're up for it, have fun and take care of them. Good luck.
>>
>>2019390
Yes but they can be litter box trained. We had both of our trained, and while yes, they did the poops every so often outside their box, a good portion they went in the box. They are clean animals and mine liked company. Remember, their hutch is their home but they need time outside. I had an extra room I converted to their play room so they could bounce around and do their shit.
>>
>>2019414
the bunny I'm petsitting for during christmas was sitting on a turd mountain :(
>>
>>2015748
I keep my male alone, hes neutered and lives in my room with me. In the corner is his cage with his food bowl, hay, water bottle and a litter tray. Bunnies tend to pee and poo in one space, unlike guinea pigs who defecate and urinate all over their cage.
Buck has full roaming space of my room, and he sleeps on my bed at night. He has a toy box in the corner full of cardboard boxes and treats for him to play with.
Bunnies can be litter trained after being desexed, and males rabbits tend to be more affectionate. Buck will lick at my foot and jump into my lap for petting and cuddles, and I'm always spending time with him.
He lives in a dog crate, newspaper on the bottom and hay as bedding, i place his litter tray (a lidless container of sorts) in one corner he prefers to use as a toilet, and line that with newspaper and hay. The litter tray is cleaned every day or twice if he's really messy, and the whole cage gets cleaned every couple of days or when it starts to smell. I allow him the run of my whole house twice a day, supervising him as bunnies destroy wires and almost anything they can chew, and i feed him vegetables and occasionally half an apple. Bunnies are funny, smart, affectionate and interesting, but its best to get them desexed.
There are heaps of good websites out there about what veggies they can have, stick to leafy greens - no iceberg lettuce tho (so parsley, carrot tops, bok choy, celery is all really good.)
>>
i have a rabbit he's litter trained i treat him pretty much like a cat he just goes around the house but it has to be bunny proofed (wires etc)
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
>>2020365
Honestly, that depends on the rabbit. My first rabbit, a holland lop, has never eaten any wires. He nibbled one once but never again. He probably didn't like the taste. I provided chewing toys for him and he loves them.

>>2019414
Bunnies are very clean. They lick themselves like cats many times a day and keep to their litter boxes. The pellets outside the box often get kicked out by their hind paws or the litter box is too full to their liking.

>>2019390
This guy probably didn't take good care of his rabbit. They're extremely gregarious and affectionate. They run to you when you come home and lick your hands and face. They like to cuddle and chill with you. My rabbits sit with me on the couch when I watch tv.

>>2019157
>Nope. Like cats, males have smelly urine if they aren't spayed.
>Yes.
>Depends. If you use them to being picked up when they're small they'll be okay with it, but they aren't toys and need to know you respect them.
>False, unless you live in the far out countryside.
>Yes.
>>
>>2019157
I also hear that they need food all the time. If they stop eating for a short while, their digestive system shuts down. How do you guys deal with this issue or prevent it from happening?
>>
>>2020723
Lots of hay. Veggies are only needed once or twice a day. 80% of their diet should be Timothy hay.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.