[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On getting a dog (in the future)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: rottweiler.jpg (45 KB, 640x424) Image search: [Google]
rottweiler.jpg
45 KB, 640x424
Sometimes, I come to the conclusion that - if I ever manage to have my own house (lol, fat chance) - it would be good for me to get a dog, so that at least I can have someone to keep me company and who can miss me, but who will also make me have to be responsible, so that I don't get too detached from reality.

I think I want a rottweiler, or a labrador.

My only question is: how do so many normalfags have dogs? Housebreaking and general training seem to be pretty time-intensive, and I'd probably only be able to do it if I were a NEET, because there's no way I could do it with an 8-hour job.

Also, I keep hearing about how shit dog food from the stores is, so would it be a good idea to feed it scraps from the table? I mean as in: bits of chicken or beef or lamb that I discard and don't cook, some eggs every so often, stuff like that (I know they aren't supposed to eat chocolate and avocados and a whole bunch of other vegetables onions).

This is all hypothetical, since I'm about as far off from purchasing my own home as humanity is from colonizing the galaxy.

P.S. Why is it most dog-owners on the internet are total assholes? I've seen a bunch of forums with well-meaning people asking legitimate questions like "Why is my puppy acting this way? Did I do something wrong?", and so many people who are currently dog-owners reply with the most condescending shit like "WOW, maybe it's YOU who's acting wrong" or "LOL, it's so obvious that puppy is more intelligent and assertive than YOU," or "HAHA, YOUR PUPPY WON'T EVEN LISTEN TO YOU? YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY NOT MEANT TO OWN ONE, GET A CAT"
>>
>>2015547
Labs are super high energy puppies, but easier to train than a rottie. I've had 2 labs and a rottie when I was a wee lad.
A lot of normal people don't train their dogs more than sit and shake, maybe lie down. Which doesn't take much time at all.
Housebreaking really doesn't take too long of actual effort. Just get a bell and hang it on your door handle, that speeds up the process.

>so would it be a good idea to feed it scraps from the table
I would say no, because it will expect more, and be nosy while you are cooking, and pissed when you don't give them any.
>Why is it most dog-owners on the internet are total assholes?
I never really got that impression, because for each asshole like that, there are a ton of nice people willing to help you.
>>
>>2015561
I see. It's just that most of the guides online say that housebreaking takes weeks and is difficult.
>>
>>2015547

Dog food at stores isn't all bad, depends where you live.

I can get grain free/high meat products from the store, but this might be an Aus vs America thing.
>>
>>2015565
Unless your dog is a shitter, It isn't so much difficult as it is a little obnoxious.
>goddammit he shit on the floor again
as opposed to
>FUCK THIS IS SO HARD IT TAKES SO MUCH EFFORT
Just gotta be firm and teach your dog that he would rather shit outside than inside.
>>
If you're considering getting a dog sometime later and think you'll have a full-time job by then, I'd suggest getting an adult dog that's past the puppy stage from a rescue or a shelter that has some idea of the dog's history and/or if it's potty trained or housebroken.

Labs make excellent first-time dogs, but I've heard that Rottweilers need a lot of training and socialization from day one.
>>
>>2015567
My local pet supermarket has a grain-free section.
What is so shitty about grained food though, is it just because carbs? Never educated myself on it
>>
>>2015572
From what I've read (I'm no expert, I'll admit - the only pets I've ever had are birds), it seems it's because commercial dog food is mostly made up of low-grade cereals and grains (filler), which dogs are not meant to eat due to their nature being to eat meat almost exclusively.

I've seen a lot of sites saying that the dog should just be fed from meat that one consumes - uncooked, of course. If you're making chicken, put aside some of the cuts for the dog; if you're cooking with beef, save some bone and dark meat.

Then again, as I said, I've never owned a dog, so that's why I'm asking here. Though I will admit, feeding a dog meat sounds more... well, 'right' than feeding it dog feed from the store.
>>
>>2015572

I think it's a potential allergy issue for dogs. Plus yeah they use it as an energy source/replacement filler for healthy stuff.

Kind of like how corn/soy is used in absolutely everything as a sub even though it's not that great. I've never researched much more than that.
>>
>>2015575
Alright, that's sensible. I've heard people making their own dog food before because there dog died or got super ill because of store bought food.
If I wasn't on a college student income, and had more than 24hours in a day, you bet your ass i would make my own dog food.
>>
>>2015578
>making dog food

Nigga, all you do is give give the dog some raw meat, and every so often, something like bones or offal. You don't need to 'make' anything.
>>
>>2015547
As someone who has to deal with people and animal related questions nearly every day for 2 years as part of my job, and do it with a shit-eating grin on my face, I think I have a decent answer for the latter question.

I think, with animal related jobs, especially ones where you work with the public, workers get a lot of shit and no praise. Arrogant people come around daily, doing things and claiming things that most people would yell ABOOSE at, and you can't do anything to stop them, you never get to change their mind or educate them because they are too set in their ways. People never thank you, and the animals can't. It ends up being a case of burnt out syndrome, like what therapists get after seeing too many patients. Nothing good ever happens from your work, so you get agitated and irritated and eventually act out.

I think this happens with animal forums a lot. I'm sure I can look around just /an/ and find a case or two of someone's cat dying because they wouldn't bring it to the vet even when prompted, or someone buying a puppy mill puppy even after anons try to explain breeders, or someone keeping a critter in a tiny cage after anons explain they need something bigger, etc. And I know it wouldn't be the first or the last time those scenarios will play out here. I think all forums deal with that because everyone likes to talk about their animals, but no one wants to hear they aren't giving it proper care. So, I think even when someone is being kind (many threads here start out as kind) people are already on the defense, assuming it will be another shitty person asking the same questions they've heard a hundred times.

TL;DR it's not you or your questions, it's basically people getting frustrated over the same questions and a lack of good change
>>
>>2015599
What do you work as?
>>
>>2015580
well thats not fully true.
im a firm believer that a dog should SOMETIMES have some fruit and veggies.
>>
>>2015657
I suppose vegetables every so often wouldn't be that bad... But even then, I doubt you'd have to cook them, Anon!
>>
>rottweiler

Confirmed for a nigger, only thugs want such an aggressive breed.
>>
>>2015570
I think people shouldn't have dogs when they work full-time and have to leave it at home in the house.
That's not a nice life for the animal. They are like children and need a of of attention and get bored and depressive otherwise.
>>
>>2015580
don't do this. dogs need a much more complex variety of vitamins and minerals than what can be found in ground muscle meat. they will die of malnutrition
>>
>My only question is: how do so many normalfags have dogs?

Only? ...Just teasing.
The reason behind this is usually people want their families to be the "model family" (which includes a pet), their kids want it, or they like animals and want something for company especially if they live alone. Unlike cats, dogs learn pretty quickly since they don't like being scolded so it's not really as hard as it may seem to train them.

>so would it be a good idea to feed it scraps from the table?

Probably not, solely for the fact if you do this they will sit by you every time you eat looking at you like pic related. Annoying as fuck.

>P.S. Why is it most dog-owners on the internet are total assholes? I've seen a bunch of forums with well-meaning people...

I don't see this kind of behavior outside of /an/ to be honest, and it's usually the cat people
>>
[spoiler]well shit[/spoiler]
>>
>>2015630
Adoptions and counseling and other public works at an animal shelter, after I'm done cleaning all the cages/kennels.

I get to pick up dog shit and shake people's hands

>>2015884
I see it on other forums, just not nearly as blatant as /an/, because 4chan. Every forum has it's own circle jerk, it's unavoidable.
>>
>>2015875
Then how else do you get money to support a dog?
>>
File: CIAgrinning.png (292 KB, 422x499) Image search: [Google]
CIAgrinning.png
292 KB, 422x499
>>2015599
>As someone who has to deal with people and anime-related questions nearly every day for 2 years as part of my job,

Fix'd 4 u
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.