[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your critters!! I am trying to decide what the newest addition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 3838389818f3f61c427b_1.jpg (36 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
3838389818f3f61c427b_1.jpg
36 KB, 375x500
Post your critters!!

I am trying to decide what the newest addition to my collection will be. Thinking of a spider, or a Vietnamese centipede.
>>
Yes i am bumping my own thread
>>
>>2015132
Don't they reproduce and then you have 10,000 of them
>>
File: Peripatoides5.jpg (148 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Peripatoides5.jpg
148 KB, 900x600
A shop where I always order my inverts from currently has these for offer. I'm really tempted to get one.
>>
>>2015191

yes i had a pair and they did this so fucking fast and the babies kept escaping so now my house is infested with them. Btw if you keep them all together in a tank like that, they get depressed, turns out they need a shitload of space and not too many together.
>>
>>2015202
Lucky fucker! I want some too, but I have never seen any on european sites.
>>
>>2015228
It's a german shop. But there seems to be a lack of decent care sheets.
>>
>>2015204
Are you serious.
So the roaches in the pics OP has posted are fucked, and OP is fucked as well?

How do they even escape in the first place. And how are they depressed.
>>
>>2015234
pet factory?
>>
>>2015240
yeah, it's a great shop
>>
>>2015242
How much do they charge for shipping outside germany? I'm used to about 20€.
>>
>>2015204
quality shitposting
>>
>>2015251
To Austria it has always been 15-20€ for me.
>>
>>2015131
>>2015132
Cool spiders and centipedes are fine, but roaches? Why? WHYYYYY?
>>
>>2015263
Thanks, m8
>>
>>2015202
iirc they need to be kept at 15ºC so make sure you have a way to accomplish that
>>
>>2015237
Those are not my pics, just got them off google to have a relevant picture. My colony only has about 6 adult roaches and 40 nymphs.
>>
to feed them you your other pets
>>
>>2015272
>>2015314
whoops, supposed to reply to him.
>>
File: domino_cockroach.jpg (346 KB, 1280x1006) Image search: [Google]
domino_cockroach.jpg
346 KB, 1280x1006
>>2015314
there are people who keep roaches as pets only. Depends on the specie too.
>>
>>2015288
Why 15 °C? They're from the tropics.
>>
>>2015386
Everything I read about them says that. Maybe not all species ofc, only the one usually available in the pet trade Peripatoides novaezealandiae. I think so.

Well i haven't read a whole lot on them either way; maybe they live in highland, therefore the lower temps, I dunno man.
>>
>>2015316
See, that looks cool, I fucking hate roaches though. If it didn't have those hairy nasty legs id go for it
>>
>>2015401
Its not hair, those are spikes. Sort of like the spikes on a grasshopper's legs.
>>
File: _M2P683 Blattodea 7_2.jpg (373 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
_M2P683 Blattodea 7_2.jpg
373 KB, 1000x667
>>2015401
Those aren't hairs, it's spikes.

Roaches are really interesting evolutionary speaking if you are into that. For example, termites are roaches :^)

The bad image people have of roaches comes from a handful of species. Most are small and never get to pest proportions.
>>
>>2015426
Exactly like the spikes in a grasshopper leg; they are closely related as well (same clade, Polyneoptera).

Even more correct would to be to compare them to the "arms" of mantids. Mantids are the sister clade of roaches.
It is thought that mantids evolved from predatory roaches that had specialized front legs for prey capture, with spikes exactly like those.

Pretty neat shit.
>>
>>2015429
it would actually be less correct to compare them to the arms of mantids because mantid arms are highly specialized while roach and grasshopper legs are similar because they both retained the ancestral condition.
>>
>>2015431
Yes, my point was that those spikes specialized in mantis for predation.
>>
>>2015272
not just any roach: hissers are clean and unscented, so to speak. and pretty massive
>>
>>2015719
They're kind of overrated as far as pet roaches go. I have nothing against people keeping them of course, but there are dozens of species that get about the same size and can't climb smooth surfaces that arguably make better pets.
>>
>>2015237

Idk about the OPs pic but the babies are tiny so even though I put a mesh cover over the top of the tank, they squeezed through some tiny gap I must have missed.
They got depressed by just sitting around not eating much with their antennae hanging down and the big males would attack everything and eat each other. It got really hard to clean the tank because there was so many, I couldnt move them out easily and safely, so of course they escaped then too, and i kept buying new bigger tanks to keep them in, and more tanks to accomodate them more, but even splitting the males and females, its hard to see what gender they are when they are younger and they must fuck pretty early cause they kept reproducing.
You guys will hate me for this but i dumped them all out in the field on the hillside on my property in the summer, they were literally so happy at that moment, I figured it was kinder to let them have a few months of freedom then to die depressed in my shitty set up. Nobody wanted to buy them and I couldnt shift them for fee either.
Now I just get them crawling round my house sometimes at night, but usually they are hiding so idk how many are lurking there.
They are actually really cool critters, they have buddies too and they talk to each other with low hisses. I suspect they are smarter than we give them credit for too.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.