[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I adopted a pitbull about 8 months ago. She a year and 2 months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 20151118_053611.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151118_053611.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
So I adopted a pitbull about 8 months ago. She a year and 2 months now. She is such a sweet, beautiful dog, but she is aggressive towards other dog (normal for a pit) and aggressive towards humans she doesn't know (not normal for a pit). Does anybody know a way to make her less aggressive? I'm scared she'll bite somebody and the state will have her euthanized. All help is appreciated! Pic related, it's my pupper.
>>
Don't brush off her dog aggression as 'normal'. While certain breeds are more inclined to be dog aggressive, that's no reason not to work on it and not take it seriously.

You have to socialize her. Was she dog and human aggressive when you first adopted her?
>>
This thread will end well.
>>
Please tell me you've at least thought to spay it
>>
>>2015089
Yes, she's only comfortable with a small group of people and one other dog. She really loves everyone In the group and really loves a cat she lives with
>>
>>2015102
How 'aggressive' is she? Slight growling, snarling, does she try to attack? Has she attacked/snapped at anything or anyone? When you say she is aggressive towards humans she does not know, is it people on the street or when they come over? Does she eventually relax around them?

You need to be very observant of her and the current situation when you see her acting up, and know how to read your dog for signs of discomfort/wariness. For the sake of her being a pit, I suggest you find a dog trainer, no joke. I love pits and all but if you are that worried about your dog and believe your dog poses a risk, then you need to nip this in the butt ASAP. The older she gets without training this out of her, the harder its going to be and the more risk she's going to be. If you adopted her from a shelter, contact them and tell them whats going on and they should be inclined to help you if not for the fact I doubt they want the dog returned to them.
>>
>>2015082

pretty much what >>2015123 said

also >>2015089
why the fuck would dog aggression be not acceptable? there are certain dogs, that don't like other dogs. Forcing them to try to like other dogs would involve so much fustration for the dog, when you can pretty much solve that she doesn't get involved with other dogs
>>
>>2015123
But where could I get a dog trainer? And how much do they usually cost? She's usually growls and barks at people on the street and it takes her about an hour to get used to anybody coming over, even if she already knows them. She hasn't bit anybody yet, but I feel like if she got to close to a dog, she might
>>
>>2015133
there are certain dogs that don't like other certain dogs. Which is fine. It's like how you know people you get along well with, and others you'd rather avoid.

Dog aggression is not acceptable because it leads to dog attacks, which can lead to death or serious injury of a dog, a law suit, and the attacker dog, if not dead from the attack, may have to be court ordered euthanized. The owner could be sued, have their dogs labled as vicious or dangerous, etc.

A dog not liking dogs is fine and acceptable. A dog aggressive dog is not ok unless it was bred for dog fighting. Just because a breed is more prone to stranger aggression or dog aggression doesn't mean it should be ignored. Early socialization with other (tolerant) dogs and with strangers (not just the family) could have nipped this problem before it started.
>>
>>2015257
Google it. Shelters would know, petsmart/petco probably have their own(how good/worth are they, i cannot tell you), any doggy daycares would know, or even just googling dog trainers in your area. Prices will differ drastically so I can't even give you an estimate, but trust me the price is would be worth it compared to the shit you will get into if your dog mauls a kid.

>>2015133
I didn't say you should or could even force a dog to like other dogs. I myself have a dog that does not like other dogs, but I'm not sure if you'd call it dog aggression because she's not the antagonizer. She's totally fine with any dogs just as long as they don't get up in her face, and she doesn't play with other dogs. She will growl as a warning and hesitate and if said dog does not back off, she'll snap at them. This just means I need to be cautious about what dogs she's around and I should remove her from a stressful situation. There is nothing in the world that is going to make her super happy and playful with other dogs.

OP's dog however, sounds like it wants to GO AFTER other dogs - which is not acceptable. If OP's dog does not get along with other dogs that's fine, but OP needs to work on teaching her to ignore them.
>>
>>2015634

>but I'm not sure if you'd call it dog aggression

What you described is 100% dog aggression.
>>
>>2015640
Dog aggression is not described by a dog not liking to play with other dogs. Dog aggression is a dog that will run towards, bite and/or if capable, kill other dogs. Dog aggression isn't just 'my dog won't play with other dogs'. It isn't avoiding other dogs or warning them to back off. It's biting, attacking, chasing, and otherwise 'wanting' to harm the other dog.
>>
>>2015092
You were so right
>>
>>2015257
Train your dog.. Search on the interwebs for a method that may work for you.
>>
>>2015654
You are so far in denial it hurts
>>
File: 56477848375.gif (179 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
56477848375.gif
179 KB, 375x375
Genetics has absolutely nothing to do with this.

All dogs are equal.

Just be kind and firm and I assure you she won't devour a 3 year old soon.
>>
>>2015716
That's some high quality bait you got going in there
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.