[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bird/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 20
File: 1449598029501.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
1449598029501.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4160
My cockatiels refuse to eat fresh fruit, they only like seeds and dried veggies/fruits
They'll occasionally enjoy some fresh lettuce but that's about all they'll accept to eat
They ate eggs once and really enjoyed it, but I tried making them eggs again and they refused to eat it, like they didnt even approach it.
Why do they like dry things so much?
The lutino's previous owner fed it nothing but sunflower seeds and the other peep was fed nothing but sunflower seeds too in the animal shop I got it

They were kinda abused, especially the peep, he was really aggressive when I got him, he even bit me multiple times and got blood out of it every time
He's very friendly and cute now though, he had the ability to fly normally but I clipped his wings since he was ramming into things and hurt his tummy whenever I'd get him on my fingers

Let's have a birb general while we're at it, what problems/stories do you have with your birbs today anons?
>>
Just takes time i think. my cockatiel wasnt interested in anything other than seeds until I put him in the run with my guinea pig. For some reason they really like each other, so he started eating grass and got interested in the veggies i would give my pig to eat. he doesnt eat everything every time, but i like to give him a piece of broccoli or something each day so he has the option.
If you can, try to eat the veggies in front of your birds, they seem to like that.
>>
>>2014233
Try eating fruits while he's watching you. He probably will want a piece of it too.
>>
File: carot.jpg (108 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
carot.jpg
108 KB, 500x332
>>2014233
try cutting your fruit into strips so it looks like a toy they can bite
>>
I have the same problem with my budgies, they only eat the seed mix I bought and sometimes nip on spinach leaves I hang in the cage but nothing else. I always cut up a carrot into tiny chunks and mix it into their seeds but they just pick it out and throw it on the cage floor.
>>2014247
I was eating a banana once and one of mine seemed really interested. I held the banana to his cage door and he came over, took a tiny nip and left again.
>>
>>2015149

That is so cute. Mine wont take any food from my hand except his seeds, I have to put the food down and move away before he will peck at it.
>>
Eating it in front of them helps. Cockatiels like stuff that is small so cutting it up in to 3mm cubes can help. Just keep offering them different foods. Persistence pays off in birbs.
>>
>>2014323
This.

My tiel won't try a lot of things until she sees me eat them first. Which is pretty smart, if you think about it.
>>
>>2015919
I pretend to eat things sometimes to get mine to even try tasting it
Even small bits of fruits, they back away once I slowly offer it to them
Again, they'll only try to it when its dry/looks hard
>>
File: IMG_20150715_124054.jpg (83 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150715_124054.jpg
83 KB, 675x900
>>2014233
my amazon eats all of the above

she really hates processed pet snacks though, excluding crackers
>>
Thinking of buying a budgie/parakeet as of late.
Anything a considering owner should know? I'm afraid my bird won't get enough stimulation as I'm caught up in uni sometimes and it's kind of quiet around here.
Is it true it's better to buy from a bird rescue/sanctuary?
>>
>>2015932

It did take mine over 6 months to try veggies (was some broccoli), so you just have to keep at it. I guess some are more suspicious than others when it comes to food. And even now, mine wont eat veggies every time, only once every few days.
>>
>>2016993
In my experience buying from a breeder is best, I typically get my birds and birding accessories for 35-50% less than a petstore sells them for and they come hand tame as a bonus. Budgies are really social animal and need at least an hour a day of interaction with you or another bird. In extreme cases they can die of loneliness so get 2 if you're really worried about it.
>>
I am currently considering buying a Parrotlet. I've already decided I want to buy from a breeder, as I've owned two parakeets in my life and the one I got from the breeder was far easier to work with. I noticed while checking some breeder sites that people are actually willing to ship them, is this advised? Obviously if I can find a breeder close by I'll do that instead, but is shipping birds safe if I decided to go that route?
>>
Anybody ever put regular and jumbo sized and bugerigars together? I got the jumbi budgie a couple days ago and they they dont fight but they dont seem to enjoy each others company almost like they dont know there the same burd... anyone have any experience with this
>>
>>2017844
I mewn same species
>>
>>2017521
Obviously shit can go wrong but nobody's going to ship any kind of merchandise that has a high chance of showing up dead.

>>2017844
Even if it was the exact same size they'd still take a while to acclimate to each other, especially living in the same cage, give it a couple weeks. My budgies and green cheek get on famously but it took them a couple months to get familiar. Granted they're not in the same cage since different species and all but still.
>>
>>2017521
Where do you live? Maybe one of us can help you find a close breeder.
>>
Anyone know a good place to discuss pet birds/parrots?
I was looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot but I'd like to be able to talk to people who know how to care for them, and apparently they're not too popular here + the only pet shop for 50 miles doesn't know shit about parrots
>>
>>2014233

what everyone else said + jjuicing (birds seem more willing to try drinks than food, and once they taste something they're more likely to eat it), and i make my birds granola that i mix food i want them to have in and bake it and they love it (especially my green cheek though, but she'll eat most things to begin with), but it also gets them to eat things they wouldn't otherwise...

>>2016993

buying from breeders is the best option really... but a bird from anywhere can be a good pet, and if you want to rescue one then you should...

>>2017521

they can be shipped, but i wouldn't feel comfortable doing it... i waited for a breeder around me to have pineapple green cheeks rather than having one shipped cuz the idea wasn't ok with me, but i also live near several breeders so i had options...

>>2017844

some birds take a little time to start interacting with each other... others do it right away... idk anything about english budgies, but my green cheek plays with my budgies and she wasn't particularly interested at first...
>>
>>2018393

juicing*
>>
File: A281_Z1.jpg (429 KB, 1071x760) Image search: [Google]
A281_Z1.jpg
429 KB, 1071x760
Why are caiques so lewd?
>>
File: C0029 -Screenshot 0005-.jpg (218 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
C0029 -Screenshot 0005-.jpg
218 KB, 1920x1080
>>2014233
Wow, your tiels are very cute, OP. I have the same problem with mine. They eat pellets and seeds but won't dare to try fruit or veggies. They fly away and start screeching, even if I give them a seed-sized portion. They're very sweet and well-behaved tiels, though.
>>
>>2018185
ohio valley
>>
There is a super sweet mealy amazon at the rescue I've been volunteering at, I'm very tempted to take him home. I started to do some research on the species but do you guys have any info/tips about them?

I've only ever had a green cheek but this guy just seems to lovely/perfect to be true.
>>
>>2018185
>>2018106
>>2018393
I actually found a breeder about an hour from where I live in Chantilly VA if anyone was curious, so I won't bother getting anything shipped. Thanks for your replies.
>>
Anyone own any Conures? I'm thinking about getting one myself here soon, and was wondering a few things. I'll be keeping it in my room, so I'm curious how much noise do they make. Also how much attention do they require? I'm home 5 days a week currently so I can give it plenty of attention, but if things change how will they fair? Can they go a few days with minimal attention if required?
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 640x838) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 640x838
>>2019067

i have a greencheek... this is the frontview camera of my phone on a regular day... this is also where she's perched right now while i type this... on my hand and phone...

this has taken me 15 minutes to type cuz she wants my attention currently (if not me usually my s/o or anyone else in her vicinity), and she wakes up at 7:30 am and goes to bed around 7:30 pm, most of that time she's with me or my s/o if not she's with our budgies... usually when we go out she comes with, but if not she chills in her cage right next to the budgies' cage and has their company...

i can't imagine her being happy with much less attention (an hour or two less every day wouldn't be a big deal i don't think cuz she does have company) , and especially not without any company... and definitely couldn't just miss a day here and there unless she had someone watching her to keep her company or other birds (which would affect bonding anyway) cuz most of what she does is cuddle and play...

she's pretty quiet, and i like that she spends so much time with me... but if you have days where you can't give a pet attention, and it's weekly with no one who they can interact with you shouldn't get a bird at all, but especially not a conure
>>
File: IMG_3562.jpg (4 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3562.jpg
4 MB, 3456x2304
sup, got a pineapple gcc today and don't know what to name it. 99% sure its a male, considering it was pretty damn dominant over the other two females in his enclosure. pls suggest boy names for me
>>
>>2020162

baxter
>>
>>2020162
Cromwell
>>
>>2020162

cumfart
>>
File: IMG-20151016-WA0000.jpg (242 KB, 1600x1229) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151016-WA0000.jpg
242 KB, 1600x1229
Tiels are GOAT

Pictured my two girls Archie & Rivi
>>
op here
My lutino died today
I woke up to find her bleeding excessively from her wing and her tumor had sort of exploded or something
I tried making the bleeding stop but to no avail, she lost too much, she was getting cold and sluggish, and it wasn't stopping
What really breaks my heart was that my peep was with her beside her during the entire time I was trying to help her
He usually screams when I take her away and leave him alone near/in the cage
But he was silent all day today
Saying nothing, not even a small chirp or anything
He understands she's gone
He understands he's all alone now
I can't stop crying because I feel so sad for him and I still don't understand what happened to my lutino
>>
My lovebird just passed away... She was fine when i left earlier, and when i got back home she had ruffled feathers, and was really weak. She could barely move in my hands. I wrapped her in some torn newspaper and a small piece of foam, gave her a casket, and buried her an hour ago.
>>
>>2020455
> I still don't understand what happened to my lutino

Sounds like a brokenn blood feather but it could be any type of bleeding wound. Bleeding in parrots is difficult to stop because they don't have a bunch of platelets in their blood like a lot of animals do.

For future reference bleeding in parrots like cockatiels is a medical emergency. It doesn't take much blood loss to kill one and it doesn't stop on its own much of the time. I've used flour to stop a bleeding blood feather. They also make a first aid coagulant for parrots. I don't remember what it is called but you might want to look in to that.
>>
>>2020455
>>2020594
cornstarch also works aswell as styptic powder and styptic pencils, which are made to clot blood quickly
>>
>>2020594
>>2020595
I was using corn starch but it wasn't working
One part of it not working is because my tiel would move its wing and dust off whenever I grently apply some
Another was that the blood simply wouldn't stop, she was bleeding from two places in her wing
The first place was where her tumor lied but it had been burst up and was the reason she was bleeding
The second was further in the wing and that was where the blood wouldn't clot no matter how hard I try
I couldn't take her to the vet since not only are they not open on Sundays but also we have no avian vets in my country, the two vet places I know deal with dogs and cats mostly
I tried calling one place for advice but yeah, it was closed and I got no answer
>>
>>2020455
>>2020556

sorry about your birds
>>
>>2014233
these are very cute boids, have you thought of flight training though? it can be very good exercise and help them stop flying into shit
>>
File: IMG_3640.jpg (4 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3640.jpg
4 MB, 3456x2304
>>2020162
My birb is settling in, though I think we might have some dominance issues. He used to always climb to his highest perch in his cage when someone would approach before I moved it lower than our heads. While step up training he always wants to run up my shoulder even though I'm trying to give him some treats. When I open the cage doors, sometimes he climbs up them and tries to get onto the slick and slanted cage ceiling so as to be above us.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these behaviors? I already moved his perch down, and I'm trying to keep him off my shoulder for the time being.
>>
File: Snapchat-166441169646132362.jpg (132 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-166441169646132362.jpg
132 KB, 1080x1920
Getting a cockatiel was the best decision I've ever made. I love him so much
>>
File: Snapchat-8987014387116862117.jpg (530 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8987014387116862117.jpg
530 KB, 1080x1920
I just don't know what mutation he is or if he's even really a male. The breeder said so but then they wouldn't sex him since he was too young? Idk. He's currently molting so maybe he'll lose his barring and what not.
>>
File: Snapchat-169360733297903353.jpg (580 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-169360733297903353.jpg
580 KB, 1080x1920
Cannoli is pretty picky about his food. I feed him nutriberries crushed up, and give him occasional treats of broccoli and spinach but he never seems to take to them. I try eating foods in front of him but even that doesn't convince him
>>
File: IMG_3653.jpg (4 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3653.jpg
4 MB, 3456x2304
>>2020983
>>2020985
>>2020987
beautiful cock, i have no breeders of anything whatsoever where i live so i had a choice of a conure who would eat out of my hand and a cockatiel who was scared shitless of anything that were both in a petstore that was routinely ravaged by children who had no idea how to act or handle birds
>>
>>2020556
I'm sorry for your loss.
>>
>>2020989
I'm sorry for your cock being ravaged by kids,that must've been painful
>>
>>2021001
extremely, it was terrifyingly exciting but sad
>>
>>2020989
Thank you! Your conure is also beautiful. I got Cannoli from a breeder at a bird expo here in Orlando. I had lots of birds to pick from but I settled on him since I like white dominant birds as my first bird was an albino budgie. He was in a crowded cage but he still seemed reponsive and bright eyed. Unfortunately, he still has broken tail feathers from that cage.

He's really made leaps and bounds in terms of sociability considering I've only had him since August. He jumps up and down on command and I can call him from across the room to my arm or shoulder.

He's sitting on my chest right now actually.
>>
File: he looks like the lutino ;_;.jpg (1 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
he looks like the lutino ;_;.jpg
1 MB, 2340x4160
Got my peep a friend since I'm unfortunately traveling for a week and I don't want her to feel lonely while my friend takes care of her
>>
>>2021016
Noice. What is that mutation called?
>>
new the whole bird scene but i've recently been very interested in buying one whats a great beginner bird that is still fun to interact with?
>>
File: 1335887133849.gif (488 KB, 425x315) Image search: [Google]
1335887133849.gif
488 KB, 425x315
>>
>>2021095
Cockatiel
Keep in mind that they still live 10-15 years.
>>
>>2021113
and do you reccomend a breeder?
>>
File: image.jpg (927 KB, 2448x3060) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
927 KB, 2448x3060
>>2020978

i have a pineapple conure too... she started trying to climb on my head which i don't care for, and i just tell her "no" put her down on my shoulder then pet her head... she hasn't been trying as much lately it takes time

with step up she's gotten better just doing it over time, but she can be stubborn when she doesn't wanna do something (she lays down flat and goes stiff and makes herself impossible to even move) so it took a bit, but you just keep doing it...

she doesn't have real dominance issues though, she'll let my budgies boss her around...
>>
File: 8210274_orig.jpg (158 KB, 1024x781) Image search: [Google]
8210274_orig.jpg
158 KB, 1024x781
>>2020985
Looks like a Whiteface Cockatiel to me. Yeah, the best way to tell his sex is if he loses the bars under his tail after the molt.
>>
File: IMAG0372.jpg (753 KB, 2048x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0372.jpg
753 KB, 2048x1520
Puffy birb
>>
File: asdeerrhe.png (179 KB, 399x338) Image search: [Google]
asdeerrhe.png
179 KB, 399x338
>>2021016
>>2021026
Looks like a pastel-faced emerald cockatiel.
>>
>>2021468
Cannoli has a lot more white on his back and his tail is white save for two parallel barred dark grey feathers. His breast only has very light grey patches while the rest is a nice white. I do think he's a white face but I think he may be split to something else.
>>
>>2021468
>>2021710
But his wings are identical to the male bird
>>
>>2018390
Hunt around on Facebook for breeder societies. That'll help find reputable breeders too. I got lucky with my eclectus though, I drove past the breeders house every day and decided to call in one day. She had a huge set up and was really knowledgeable.

500+ lorrikeets of all mutations, lots of ringnecks and conures and cockatoos, plus a few eclectus and macaws. She just lived and breathed parrots.
>>
>>2021956
Alright, didn't even think about Facebook since I haven't used it in years
Guess it's time to bite the bullet and log in
>>
Hi /an/, I've been wanting to get a bird for a very long time and have found a suitable breeder. The question I have is how long is too long to leave a bird alone? I have work every weekday from 8 to 4, i've learned leaving the tv on helps to socialize them but I want to bond with my bird when I can. I'm really conflicted about this, and i want to get a bird really bad but I don't want to neglect their needs.
>>
>>2022459
it really depends on the bird, and if you're getting a single bird or a pair.

I hate to admmit it but I had to leave my green cheek alone for days at a time when I was transitioning jobs. He was no worse for wear spending 3 days straight locked up in his cage.
>>
>>2022516
i was planning on a cockatiel or indian ringneck. How did your bird do by itself? Did leaving it alone do any lasting damage?
>>
>>2022459

it'd probably be ok, depending on the bird... but idk, i think my green cheek would be unhappy with that arrangement... the longest she's ever in her cage is overnight though, and even then she's never alone cuz i have 2 budgies (they have a separate cage from her, but they play together outside of their cages so she's friends with them but strongly bonded with me and my s/o cuz they're semi- tame and closer to each other + we take her out for walks and to the store etc ) so she always has company... i think i'd feel bad otherwise desu, but i know people do have happy birds with different living arrangements

you should probably get a bird only if you're willing to end up getting it company if it's necessary...
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.