[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tiny Freshwater Invertebrates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 11.jpg (59 KB, 625x600) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
59 KB, 625x600
Anyone ever considered keeping tiny freshwater invertebrates as pets, such as Scyphozoa or Branchiopoda? Maybe in a tiny tank?
>>
>>2013718
kept brine shrimps and triops lots of times, they are great
>>
>>2013723
I know what you mean, the tank would probably be boring, but it'd only be a little tank, just for aesthetics and a little bit of life. I didn't even know freshwater sponges existed
>>
>>2013725
I'm thinking of a more... Unusual sort of thing
>>
>>2013740
What would you keep them in?
>>
>>2013718
I've got a sample of creek water next to my window. I look at it under the microscope from time to time, all sorts of crazy critters. Only recent;y have I noticed some things that are large enough to see with the naked eye. They're still really small, and I can't make out their shapes exactly. Maybe they'll get bigger soon.

Creepiest thing I've seen so far under the scope was this thing called a "cyclops". It's a tiny crustacean with a big red eye in the middle of its head. The weirdest part is that it moves in this creepy "twitchy" kind of way. Just check out a video, really bizarre.
>>
Yes. There's also a company in my state that keeps all kinds of aquatic invertebrates and sells them to people doing research and I would love to work there.
>>
So cool. I love tiny little freshwater critters. I think my favorite are daphnia. They're big enough to see with the naked eye and they have Dr Zoidberg faces and have a cool twitchy movement.
>>
>>2013727
>>2013757

Deleted? Looks like contributing is now against the rules.
>>
>>2014132

Yeah, it's illegal to touch the autistic mod pet that is bugguy.
>>
>>2013718
Hydra viridissima seemed always interesting to me. Stupid for an aquarium, but one can fantasize.
>>
>>2014134
This is my first ever thread I've posted in actually
>>
>>2014131
I love daphnia, but could never be bothered to keep their food cultivated
>>
>>2014201
Mods don't like bugguy.
>>
>>2014398
does anybody??
>>
>>2014398
what are you talking about?
everyone that disagrees with bugguy gets deleted or banned.

the person that got banned itt got banned for making fun of bugguy.
>>
>>2014104
what kind of microscope do you have? Was thinking of getting one but they are pretty expensive
>>
>>2014483
gee, there's no way that's because it was off-topic and obnoxious, was it?

/an/ should be renamed to Bitching About A Namefag Who Won't Take A Hint
>>
>>2014486
It's a pretty old Leitz brand scope. Apparently my dad's mom was a pathologist in Canada and that's her microscope. I never met her, but anyway, it's a sweet microscope. I think I've got 40x and probably 100x or so. It has an oil immersion lense that won't work with the plastic well slides anyway, but it's got an empty spot for a 4th lense. I've been thinking about buying one but I barely know what I'm doing anyway.

Staring at those little water samples is really interesting, there's so much life in every drop.
>>
I've been considering it. I mostly like tardigrades and rotifers. I do have a large empty terrarium and a nice microscope that goes up to 20,000X with an attachment to my computer so I can record video and take pictures.

Unfortunately I never seem to find water bears.
>>
Hydras are pretty easy to keep. I recently learned there are some that have a symbiotic relationship with an alga, so you just have to keep them in the light if you don't feel like feeding them.
>>
>>2014130
>second dream job after cat breeder
>>
>>2014532
>20,000X

kekt
>>
>>2017116

what

It goes up to that when I have my 20x lenses in and the camera is set to 20x by default
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.