[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stock lake with Fish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: fish.jpg (8 KB, 293x172) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
8 KB, 293x172
Any Anon's got experience with stocking a lake with bass or catfish? I have 20 acres of wetlands and am interested in stocking it with fish. There are already some fish but not many I gather. Notice a few storks hunting there for fish and have heard them when they come up for air.
>>
Don't bother with catfish, they'll just dominate the lake.

If there isn't a lot of fish, you'll probably want to stock it with smaller fish first so it can support larger species like bass.
>>
>>2013218
How about brim?
>>
If you do, please use native species
>>
>>2013223
Thanks a million googled what catfish and bass eat and you are absolutely right about smaller fish stocking.
>>
You already have catfish and sunfish, OP. Maybe bowfin and/or gar too. What region? What sort of wetland (marsh, swamp, connected pools, rivers, creeks, lake, ponds, just a flood plain)?

Anyway, you are WAY better off just providing more cover and places to breed along with feeding what you have.
Stocking can get a bit... complicated. Especially when it is a native wetland instead of man made.
>>
File: wetland.jpg (12 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
wetland.jpg
12 KB, 248x203
>>2013230
South Alabama wetland like image but with some trees in it and water grass/weeds have seen plenty of duck in them.
>>
>>2013234
>monsters in central europe
Gators here always on the lookout for them.
>>
>>2013242
there might not be many fish simply because the environment can't support them...I think if you have enough land you can get your waters appraised by the fish and wildlife department. They might be able to tell you how many lbs of fish you can stock and whether it's good for bass or whatever.
>>
>>2013280
Actually a massive inter-connecting beaver dam across the stream is obstrucing most the water passage above me. Will check into the fish and wildlife department though thanks.
>>
This is how you spread invasive species and ruin wetlands/watersheds.
>>
>20 acres

do 100 bluegill, 50 ~6inch smallmouth bass, and a dozen channel catfish.

Give them 5-10 years to breed and you'll fish all day long. You may have to restock catfish.
>>
>>2013215
you in US? if so look up local species on fish and wildlife's site for your state. if it will improve the wetland sometimes they will give you fry (baby fish) for free or cheap because nature. at least i di it in KY and got some bass and bluegill and crappie.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.