[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there some kind of breeding program for dogs that promotes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 339x434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 339x434
Is there some kind of breeding program for dogs that promotes genes that look good and are healthy? I'm thinking of getting a dog but I don't want something fucked like pic related.
>>
Also looking to avoid pure-breds.
>>
>>2012820
just get a mutt, save one from the pound if you can
>>
>>2012822
That's my problem, I'm ok with a mutt. however I'm not ok with a mutt that leaves too much to the imagination.
> What breed were its parents?
> Is this mutt off the street?
> Is it just another fucked up genetic mistake that will die if I walk it more than a block?
>>
>>2012823
that's the thing, mutts don't just 'fuck up'
where are you from? ausfag here
why do you care where it's from?
>>
>>2012823
If you don't want the lack of knowledge about its genetics, you're going to have to go for a pure-bred. Look for a good breeder who does proper health testing and breeds responsibly for health and temperament. You'll get to pick a breed that suits your needs and you'll be able to see on paper that dog's heritage and the health of its ancestry, etc.

That's really your only option if you're looking for a dog whose health you can guarantee. What are you hoping to find/what do you have against getting a purebred dog?
>>
What a piece of shit that thing has become. Say no to interracial breeding.
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 700x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 700x431
>>2012833
Ok, I've been doing some research and I think the closest I can get to what is want is probably a greyhound.
>>2012826
Fellow Ausfag, I care where it's from because I don't want something unhealthy or illegal.
> Pitbulls
>>
>>2012833

Mutts are genetically healthier than pure breeds
>>
>>2013070
[citation needed]
What does 'genetically healthier' even mean?
>>
>>2013076

>no citation needed for basic facts
>>
>>2013076
>What does 'genetically healthier' even mean?
having fewer congenital defects and diseases.
>>
>I'm okay with a mutt, but I'm not okay with a mutt

what the hell, just go adopt a dog then?
>>
>>2013095

A well bred mutt line would be healtheir than a well bred pure breed line. You can't argue that.

>mutts are visibly 'healthier' on average because there's less chance bad genes will show up due to having a wider gene-pool.

Exactly and they won't get passed on because you're not mating them with their long lost cousin.

Also.
>Mutts are visibly healthier

You just fucking agreed with me you idiot.
>>
>>2013095

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed#Inbreeding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCv10_WvGxo

>implying you can have a well bred physically abnormal dog
>implying purebreed dogs aren't incredibly prone to cancer, which can't be tested for as a pup

Moron.
>>
>>2013109
>their bad genes don't magically go away just because they don't express them.
the genes aren't bad by themselves, they have to be combined in offspring from a partner that has the exact same genes.

so we're not talking about the health of the individual, we're talking the (hypothetical) health of the (hypothetical) offspring, and even then that depends entirely on the other parent's genotype.

I guess you could argue that the breed as a whole is genetically unhealthy for carrying dangerous recessives, but to say the individual is doesn't really fit any existing definition of health out there.
>>
>http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/07/05/pet-genetic-disorders.aspx

>But are mixed and designer breeds really healthier? Not according to what many veterinarians see in their practices... and not according to a recently published five-year study of veterinary cases at the University of California, Davis. This research indicates that mixed breeds don't automatically have an advantage when it comes to genetic disorders.
>>
>>2013076
Take for example a purebred German Shepard Dog. Often they have hip hip dysplasia. Pure breed bulldog will have various health problems. The trouble is that people are breeding for a particular arbitrary "look" and not for a healthy functional animal. So there are numerous breeds that have well known health problems. That's probably what he means.
>>
>>2013124
I don't think it actually matters how many fatal recessives you carry if you're far less likely to express them.

also I don't think inbreeding necessarily excludes "bad genes" any more than outcrossing will necessarily keep them. The weird thing about sex is that you don't ever get every single gene from both parents. Genes just get left out, and a lot of times those are "bad" genes.
>>
Is that nociception?>>2013114
>>
Look for sled dog breeders? "Huskies" for this aren't always purebred. Just good dogs.
ie: http://www.deercreeksleddogs.com/females.html

They'll require a lot of maintenance and a sport to do though.
>>
>>2013065
what the fuck
This pic must be shopped
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 700x590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 700x590
>>2013317
Nah mate, Google Pit Bull dachshund and you will get plenty of results.
>>
>>2013065
I would suggest really looking into breeders... there's a lot of greyhound breeders churning out puppies with no regards to their health and well being in hopes someone will think they will run fast.

A good route for you might be a retired greyhound that comes from known lines. Just because you know their history doesn't mean they will be healthy though.

There's a thread up about dog breeders right now actually
>>
>>2013362
Except it's not really a pitbull/dachshund, it's a pit bull with dwarfism. The only reason people think it's part dachshund is because it has short legs. There's really nothing about it that actually looks like a dachshund. It's just a genetically messed up pit.
>>
>>2013373
The old retired greyhounds are exactly what I was thinking actually.
>>2013379
Holy fuck really?
>>
>>2013426
Yeah. It's just one of those bullshit viral facebook memes going around, like this picture of some northern breed puppy with the claim that it's a "pomsky."

or that one picture of the blue merle Australian shepherd puppy that claims it's a "husky/golden retriever mix!" because it's fluffy and has blue eyes.

It's just ridiculous, really.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 411x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 411x358
>>2013562
Welp, sorry for my ignorance.
Actually, regarding my post on Pit Bulls being illegal is Australia, what % of Bull does the dog need to be before it's illegal. Like, if you have a husky mutt whose grandmother was a pit bull, but every other dog since then has been a husky. Is that legal?
>>
>>2013569
No idea. I think those sort of laws might come down to interpretation. As in, if it "looks like a pit bull" enough that someone can make a claim that it is one, regardless of whether or not it actually is a pit bull (or how much of its genetics are actually pit bull,) the case could be made that it's illegal. Breed specific legislation is stupid that way.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 360x360
>>2013575
Yeah, the laws are pretty shitty considering I have friends who own multiple pits and just claim their Staffordshire's or some shit.
>>
>>2013562
eeeeeeee i want oneeeee
>>
>>2013076
Citation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis
>purebred = winning at shows = conformation = inbred
>>
>>2013562
This makes me rage. I have a friend who wants a "pomsky" despite knowing nothing about dogs
>>
>>2013591
Wikipedia is not a credible source.
Besides that, the article you posted does not prove that all purebred dogs are inbred.
>>
>>2013612
>Wikipedia not credible
Are any of these sources credible enough for you? If not what would be, divine revelation?
>prove... all
Well, no. They are not all clones of each other, therefore they do have some degree of diversity. It's a matter of degree: purebred strains have less diversity than the larger population they were derived from. The whole 'pure' thing, ya-know? Linebreeding is the way to win shows, and that's the way to sell pups.
>>
>>2013636
Not every breeder is line breeding. In fact, most do not.
>>
OP stop bitching. Go to the pound. Find a half breed. Have a happy life with your mutt.

>>2013569
Those are some big balls.
>>
>>2013638
Nevermind, optical illusion. That's his leg.
>>
>>
>>2012820
Why would someone mix another breed with a pug?
>>
>>2013662
The puggle (pug x beagle) is a very popular mix breed, and the shiba-inu is also popular, so it was just a matter of time before some "designer dog" breeder decided to see what it looks like.
>>
>>2013682

Fucking hideous is what.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 461x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 461x319
Jesus
>>
>>2014097
there's domesticated neoteny and then there's fucking this.
>>
File: All-Toy-Dog-Breeds.jpg (50 KB, 1000x288) Image search: [Google]
All-Toy-Dog-Breeds.jpg
50 KB, 1000x288
friendly reminder that small and "toy" dogs are crimes against nature and should not exist.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 314x469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 314x469
>>2014100
>>2014097
On the topic of fucked up breeds
> Short faced cats
>>
>>2014101
Not against nature, only towards the dogs themselves.
>>
>>2013611
You and me both. Want more rage material? Take a look at this: http://www.boredpanda.com/mixed-breed-dogs/

Most of it is questionable at best but a lot of it is such incredibly obvious bullshit I can't wrap my mind around it.

>merle dachshund is a "dachshund/dalmation!!!" because huuerrdurr SPOTS
>Aussie shepherd pup is a "golden retriever/husky!" because it's fluffy with drop ears and has blue eyes

All of my rage.
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 446x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 446x330
OP here, new topic for thread. Most fucked up breeds.
>>
>>2014101
>>2014205
So yeah
>>
>>2014101
Some strains are stupid and cruel, ya. But plenty of small dogs live long healthy lives and do their job (being pets) very well. Why the hate?
>>
>>2014198
I hate you for showing me this. Most of the dogs are absolutely hideous and look useless. Especially the shepherd mixes. Also, those stupid names they gave them all so it seems like an actual breed...just why.

The worst part is that people will read these and seek out those "breeds" because they saw one cute photo and won't do any research about either breed or dog behaviour in general. I'm so annoyed by all of this
>>
>>2013076
Read shit about clones and inbreeding and shit
It is basic knowledge
>>2012823
>fucked up genetic mistake
Elliot Rodger mixed with r9k yoer autism
>>
>>2013569
In the US where BSL is regulated, they do not do genetic testing on dogs. They have a check list of aesthetic features. Most checklist only need the dog to match a few points, which makes a lot of dogs eligible to be a pit bull

This one www.sfgov2.org/ftp/uploadedfiles/acc/Documents/Breed%20Standards.pdf would include Labradors among many other breeds, and is widely used in the states, even in CO where pit bulls are killed
>>
>>2014101
>Hating on terriers
Get fucked
>>
>>2014311
Dude! You should totally post the fallacy chart.
>>
>>2012820
Terrier mixes always come out really well, given some are more feisty than others.
>>
>>2014186
Whats up with the eye sockets?
>>
File: 1449029567014.jpg (91 KB, 319x345) Image search: [Google]
1449029567014.jpg
91 KB, 319x345
>>2012820
Am the only one where the more I look at the bottom pic, the funnier it gets?

I'm dying over here
>>
>>2014101

I can agree on some breeds but others (like the paplillion) are quite content with the hand they're dealt so long as they're treated properly. Some breeds were basically made to be pampered.
>>
>>2012821
>>2012820
Dog breeder here. No matter what anyone tells you, pure breeds are healthier. It's the LINE BRED (read: inbred, literally) dogs that you want to avoid.

There's this myth going around that pure breeds have all these genetic defects, but the problem really only comes from line breeding. Just make sure that the breeder you're buying from does not line breed.
>>
>>2015143
>It's the LINE BRED (read: inbred, literally) dogs that you want to avoid.
every breed was linebred at some point in its history.

Line breeding is literally how breeds are made.
>>
>>2015145
"At some point in time", and sire and dam of the puppy you are buying is a b8g difference anon.
Just because 2 dogs were line bred several generations ago doesn't mean the animal is a freak of nature.
>>
>>2015143
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/although-purebred-dogs-can-be-best-in-show-are-they-worst-in-health/

Stop being a nigger, your like a "wine expert" you talk like you know shit but actual studies show you know shit
>>
File: bulldog.jpg (17 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
bulldog.jpg
17 KB, 270x270
Two points.

One, not all dogs at a pound are Mutts, or complete genetic mysteries. You can still pick out a dog that appeals to you, it's not a lottery.

Two, After my sister got a French Bulldog I stopped being quite so judgmental about which breeds are "genetic aberrations" like I told her before she got him. Yes they can have problems like any pure breed, but they also have a lot of good qualities as well. He doesn't yap like most small dogs, and he is pretty badass. He has zero fear of bigger dogs and can hang from a rope like a mini-Pitbull. This isn't to say I'm for buying one from a breeder, with all the dogs out there that need a home but they are cool.
>>
>>2014205
And yet they live the most.
>>
>>2017122
One thing has taught me is American shelters are fucking weird

Over here you'll find anything really. Also dogs don't get put down and there are plenty of volunteers who take care of them and make sure they stay excersized. Dogs aren't just left in cages doing nothing all day. And if a dog is aggressive they make sure to educate and train it until it's suitable to be adopted and it can live with a family.

Why isn't of all this a thing in the land of the free?
>>
>>2018517
one thing /an/ has taught me*
>>
My dog is a mix between a pinscher and a shiba.
He looks great Tbh.
>>
File: milo 2.jpg (89 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
milo 2.jpg
89 KB, 1280x719
>>2018527
forgot pic
>>
>>2018517
It's definitely not the same everywhere you go. The shelter near is no-kill and they pretty much only ever have 1 or 2 dogs at a time. Usually they have none. Dogs there get adopted fast. The cat side can have anywhere from 15 to 30 depending on the time of year and some have been there for almost a year now.
>>
>>2018517
Some places in America there is a lot of dog fighting, which means a ton of dog, some are dangerous (not just aggressive but actually harmful to the public) and there are many pit bull type dogs because they are a very popular fighting breed. Because of that stigma, plus the huge quantity of dogs being pushed out while people find their next fighting champion, there is not only a very big stigma about not just a breed, but a look of dog, and then there is a lot of dogs that look like that dog. They are harder to adopt out, even if they were bred and raised as family pets. So quantity + low demand = many, many dogs in shelters, too many to place, care for, and pay for. To be honest, I only know of a few countries that aren't as bad as the U.S on pet overpopulation, and a chunk of that is due to stray animals not being able to survive the weather conditions.

Of course not every shelter is the same. You are describing either a decorated animal hoarder, or a state-ran pound. Not many shelters let their dogs rot in cages all day; they will start a 'waiting list' on people wanting to surrender until they can handle the amount of animals they have, by either adopting them out or killing them.

Has anyone told OP yet to look for a good breeder of a healthy breed?
>>
>>2018528
Giant chihuahua
>>
>>2018558
Sounds like /an/ has given me a bad impression then.
The thing is that over here there also are dogs that were used in those barbaric inhumane fights, but like I said they are given a second chance through a rehabilitation that tries making them suitable to live with a family.
And our equivalents of a ''state-run pound'' are the same really, so it sounds like the American government hates dogs or something.

>>2018559
He's super friendly though, literally never gets into fights and only wants to play. I've never seen him being aggressive.
>>
>>2018528
That's a Rat Terrier.
>>
>>2018583
Forgot pic
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 300x225
>>2018585
...I swear to Christ...
>>
File: milo 17.jpg (79 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
milo 17.jpg
79 KB, 600x800
>>2018586
Nah, he looks kinda like one because he is half pinscher.
But he's not purebreed at all.
Plus the fur has the exact same patterns of a shiba's.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 468x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 468x278
>>2018588
Is your dog a rescue? Because it is incredibly common to missable dogs to get them adopted faster. A Shiba mix is going to get s home faster than a terrier.
Your dogs color is red sable. If you want to get technical he is a liver based red. Rat Terriers come in that color and pattern.
>>
File: milo 12.jpg (227 KB, 719x1280) Image search: [Google]
milo 12.jpg
227 KB, 719x1280
>>2018615
He was abandoned when he was just a little puppy, probably by a family that didn't have its dogs neutured and didn't want to deal with puppies.
I got him from a shelter when he was just ten months old, he's currently almost two years old.
Pic related that's him when he was found and rescued by volunteers, chill as fuck despite the rough times he must have lived on the road.
>>
>>2014198
>Update:It turns out that this dog is a purebred chocolate dapple dachshund.
>Update:It turns out that this dog is a purebred Australian shepherd.
BTFO.

That fluffy chow chow is pretty kawaii though.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 480x320
>>2018621
Definitely a Rat Terrier.
I breed and show Ratties.
>>
File: milo 14.jpg (228 KB, 719x1280) Image search: [Google]
milo 14.jpg
228 KB, 719x1280
>>2018638
Uh, vet says he's not a pure breed though.
Have another puppy pic, despite living in the road at such a small age he didn't have problems with human contact.
>>
>>2018642
Vets are notoriously uninformed about breeds.
And your dog probably didn't "live on the road" if he was reasonably social and did not act feral.
>>
>>2018651
I don't think he got to spend much time on the road luckily, organizations here are very quick at rescuing abandoned dogs. In fact strays are extremely rare as they get taken to a shelter almost immediately.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.